Awoo.

LucasArts shut down. Star Wars 1313 & First Assault cancelled, 1313 originally Boba Fett game. Update Post #47

Badnik Mechanic

Word is coming out that Disney has shut down LucasArts, the studio who usually makes all the star wars games.

The decision to close was made and carried out this morning. 150 people were laid of and several projects both known and unknown where cancelled including Star Wars: First Assault and Star Wars 2013.

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games. As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles."

More at the links.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/04/03/disney-closes-game-publisher-lucasarts.aspx

http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749

P.S. Star Wars 2013 was that awesome looking Star Wars game which was awesome and looked awesome.

You will never get to play this game =(

Edited by Tornado

...I take back every good thing I said about this buyout. I...just... argh.

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma
  • Thumbs Up 6

Hasn't the writing been on the wall for this for half a decade now? Other than Star Wars 2013 LucasArts has been pretty dead since Battlefront II anyway last I knew. I thought they even announced something like this was going to happen around 2009 or so while the management was going through a revolving door situation, then delayed it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not really a Star Wars guy (still haven't finished episode 1 lawl), but I feel sorry for the huge losers big fans like Felix who probably fapped to the news of the new games were pretty pumped about those games.

Hasn't the writing been on the wall for this for half a decade now? Other than Star Wars 2013 LucasArts has been pretty dead since Battlefront II anyway last I knew. I thought they even announced something like this was going to happen around 2009 or so while the management was going through a revolving door situation, then delayed it.

This.

Overall I think this is a good thing. LucasArts hasn't been an objectively good developer for a rlyrly long time and all they did was milk StarWars. It's not like there will never be good StarWars games again under their new developer, the quality may even be a little more consistent.

EDIT; Same for Monkey Island, all this means is that rights are transferring and restructuring and won't be under the LucasArts label anymore.

Still, it sucks that so many people lost jobs. :c

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

Although LucasArts hadn't been associated with top tier gaming for years, it's still sad to see another old giant of the industry fall by the wayside, as THQ did not long ago.

So I guess I can now give up hope of there ever being a Battlefront III as well as a potential re-release of the first two games.sad.png

So far the buyout has yet to yield anything positive other than a new Movie at least from what I have seen so far?

I wonder if we will still see Star Wars based games again?

Hopefully nothing like Star Wars: Kinect! dry.png

Please no more dancing Palpatine! sleep.png

Just cause the developer is gone doesn't mean the rights are, Battlefield III is still as viable as it ever was, especially if Disney thinks it'd be a smart thing to do.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well, it's not like the people at LucasArts weren't good at what they do. It's just that for the past ten years no one at LucasFilm knew what the fuck to do with them.

• Thumbs Up 6

Even though LucasArts hasn't exactly been doing well for a while this is still sad news. It's like Hostess. They may give us nothing but crap but that doesn't mean we want them to leave. sad.png

Dear Disney,

Here is something very heartwarming to be said by a longtime Star Wars fan.

Fuck you.

♥With love, Felix♥

You want to blame anyone, blame the people who ran everything before Disney bought LucasFilm.
  • Thumbs Up 2

So I guess I can now give up hope of there ever being a Battlefront III as well as a potential re-release of the first two games.sad.png

So far the buyout has yet to yield anything positive other than a new Movie at least from what I have seen so far?

I wonder if we will still see Star Wars based games again?

Hopefully nothing like Star Wars: Kinect! dry.png

*video*

Please no more dancing Palpatine! sleep.png

In all seriousness, that's so bad that's good. I wouldn't mind to see more stupid shit like that.

Now, besides Star Wars 2013, I doubt that LucasArts was working on something interesting. Maybe this isf or the best. If Disney licenses the Star Wars series to some of the amazing studios out there we may be able to see some awesome games.

Now, I'm not saying that LucasArts sucks. It's just that, as Tornado said above, LucasFilm didn't know what to do with them. Hopefully the people who were at the studio can manage to find some cool jobs out there.

The only thing in question are the LucasArts IPs, like Monkey Island. Are they owned (or will they be) by Disney?

Edited by ViniciusLC

2013: The year of video game controversty and horrible results?

The software game market collapsed in 2008. What's happened to THQ and LucasArts is only the tip of the iceberg.

Development cost of triple A games have reached ridiculous budgets that are dragging down large publishers. Just look at what's happening with SqaureEnix.

I'd advise you to watch this video, don't be alarmed, listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZxXEidtxHk&list=FLpSjtBNX2d1yda82s_iX1IA

1983-1984 is history repeating itself?

All I got to say is, do you see why SEGA has moved away from AAA 3rd party publishing? See why they don't want to publish multiplatform retail games anymore? NOW do you support their mobile,digital-only move?

Dear Disney,

Here is something very heartwarming to be said by a longtime Star Wars fan.

Fuck you.

♥With love, Felix♥

Disney have only owned Star Wars since November. They wouldn't shut down LucasArts unless there was something fundamentally wrong with it. Star Wars 2013 was shwon at E3 and rumors of it's cancellation have been going for months, long before Disney bought the company.

All I got to say is, do you see why SEGA has moved away from AAA 3rd party publishing? See why they don't want to publish multiplatform retail games anymore? NOW do you support their mobile,digital-only move?

rolleyes.gif

I've seen pieces of glass that are less transparent. This thread has nothing whatsoever to do with Sega's future plans, so don't use this topic as an excuse to bring it up to prove points from other threads.

• Thumbs Up 8

rolleyes.gif

I've seen pieces of glass that are less transparent. This thread has nothing whatsoever to do with Sega's future plans, so don't use this topic as an excuse to bring it up to prove points from other threads.

You're personally offended? You didn't understand the point that I'm trying to make?

The entire 3rd party software publishing industry is hurting right now. THQ went under, SquareEnix's and EA's CEOs just stepped down and now LucasArts is being dissolved by Disney.

Sega is a publisher. Therefore I am on topic. Pointing out how much their decision to move away from retail publishing is saving them(their software division) from sharing the same fate.

So how is that off topic? 

The software game market collapsed in 2008. What's happened to THQ and LucasArts is only the tip of the iceberg.

Development cost of triple A games have reached ridiculous budgets that are dragging down large publishers. Just look at what's happening with SqaureEnix.

I'd advise you to watch this video, don't be alarmed, listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZxXEidtxHk&list=FLpSjtBNX2d1yda82s_iX1IA

1983-1984 is history repeating itself?

lol this is such a load of crap where to start.

Do you even have the slightest idea as to what you're talking about anymore or do you just try in vain to link every bad news story to your 'SUPPORT THE DIGITALS' in every post you make? THQ went under because of a combination of bad management and making extremely expensive hardware that nobody wanted. U-Draw cost them hundreds of millions which they didn't see any return on at all.

Their BOXED games, you know, the evil things you seem to dislike, were selling and they were actually selling very well. Darksiders, Saints Row 3. All were very big sellers. The problem came from their management and the investment they put into UDraw.

LucasArts seem to be a very similar story, it's bad management, plain and simple. Instead of making games people want, their direction has been to make games based off gimicks and 'whats popular now' as apposed to what people would enjoy.

Remember how at E3 2011, their big game of the year was 'Kinect Star Wars?'

"LIGHTSABER ON!" Yeah I remember how in the movies Luke would always shout that when he needed his...

They thought this would be huge... just two problems.

1: Kinect was terrible.

2: The plan was bollocks.

The presentation at E3 was abysmal, nobody thought the game looked good, the moves between player and character were completely out of sync to the point everybody knew it was faked. And this was the Star Wars Clip on it's own, without even going into MS' conference as a whole.

And lets not forget.... the big belief is that Star Wars Battlefront 3 was cancelled so that the entire production could move onto this!

Holy cow man! Thats one hell of a terrible business decision right there. Whoever made that decision had no idea what people wanted and instead was blinded by a magical webcam that Microsoft said would change the world instead of using their brain to think

"Well we've had a big success with this other series and these other games maybe we should make those..."

Hmmm NO! This is what gamers want! They don't want to fly X-Wings or Tie-Fighters! Or shoot blasters! Or fight robots! or Soldiers! They want to dance! This is what people want when they think Star Wars!

do you see why SEGA has moved away from AAA 3rd party publishing?

They havn't. In fact they're increased it thanks to their decision to their Japan devision.

• Thumbs Up 3

lol this is such a load of crap where to start.

Do you even have the slightest idea as to what you're talking about anymore or do you just try in vain to link every bad news story to your 'SUPPORT THE DIGITALS' in every post you make? THQ went under because of a combination of bad management and making extremely expensive hardware that nobody wanted. U-Draw cost them hundreds of millions which they didn't see any return on at all.

Their BOXED games, you know, the evil things you seem to dislike, were selling and they were actually selling very well. Darksiders, Saints Row 3. All were very big sellers. The problem came from their management and the investment they put into UDraw.

LucasArts seem to be a very similar story, it's bad management, plain and simple. Instead of making games people want, their direction has been to make games based off gimicks and 'whats popular now' as apposed to what people would enjoy.

Remember how at E3 2011, their big game of the year was 'Kinect Star Wars?'

"LIGHTSABER ON!" Yeah I remember how in the movies Luke would always shout that when he needed his...

They thought this would be huge... just two problems.

1: Kinect was terrible.

2: The plan was bollocks.

The presentation at E3 was abysmal, nobody thought the game looked good, the moves between player and character were completely out of sync to the point everybody knew it was faked. And this was the Star Wars Clip on it's own, without even going into MS' conference as a whole.

They havn't. In fact they're increased it thanks to their decision to their Japan devision.

What about SquareEnix? Why are they having problems?Why did the CEO step down, why did they announce despite Tomb Raiders strong sales and admit the games' budget couldn't make ends meet?

And as for Sega, they haven't announced any new Triple A multiplatform games in over a year. PSP and the Soccer management game simply don't count. That's Japanese only shovelware.

And FYI, SEGA has increased PC publishing. That's what their doing more recently then announcing new console titles.

Edited by RE2010

RE2010, stop trying to get the last word in and drop the Sega thing. This is your last warning.

• Thumbs Up 5