Badnik Mechanic

Flashback (2013)

Yeeeeaaaahhhhhhhh noooooo...

Was there a demand for this to be remade Re-Imagined? Ubisoft seems to think so.

20 years after the original game's launch, Conrad is enlisted back to active service for the triumphant return of one of the most acclaimed franchises in gaming history.

It's not a reboot. It's Flashback re-imagined. The original Core-Team revamped their own creation, leveraging the best of today's technology while remaining true to the classic side-scroller that set the standards of the genre in the 90's.

Should point out something very very important here, the people who are making this game had a big hit last year with a game called "Amy."  Hey when you're considered one of the worst games of all time, thats quite an achivement.

Flashback is one of my favourite games. It's Prince of Persia meets Blade Runner, and a fantastic adventure.

...so naturally my head is full of ways this can be screwed up so easily. I'm very glad to see that the actual gameplay parts of the trailer look to be screen-for-screen remakes of the original levels (apart from that jetbike scrolling section). As long as they try to be as faithful as possible to the original game they can go nuts with ridiculous cutscenes and silly voice acting.

Who here remembers Fade to Black? Yeah, Flashback got a sequel back in the day. It kinda sucked.

At least it's still a side-scroller.

That's...something? Who am I kidding, it's going to take a lot for anybody to have faith in this being good when the guys behind 'Amy' are doing it.

The only good thing I can think of from the developers of Amy behind this game is that the developers /maybe/ overhauled the way they develop their games after seeing how Amy was burned at the stake and actually tried to create a good game this time.

And even that's just wishful thinking.

Is it bad I didn't completely throw up watching this? The visuals are nowhere near the original, which kinda sucks, but it doesn't look too bad to play. Actually looks potentially fun. Of course that could just be the trailer's editing that makes it seem not so bad, but stiilll.

Won't get my hopes up (considering Amy and all), but it might be decent.