Awoo.

PEGI now sole UK game rating system

Detective Shadzter

[uPDATE 2]

As of yesterday, PEGI is the sole UK game rating system.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-27-single-pegi-age-rating-system-starts-today

[uPDATE]

PEGI finally set to become the sole UK game rating system

http://www.computera...-rating-system/

Original post:

Looks like next week we have a huge battle commencing here in the UK. From Tuesday onwards our games will either have just the PEGI ratings on or just the BBFC ratings on.

Link -

http://www.gamepolit...hoice-next-week

I've got a feeling the BBFC ratings will win as it has the government backing and the power to not classify a game resulting in a ban on anything they dont like. PEGI don't have that power but they do have the games industry's backing which I dont think will be enough to help PEGI win.

I've never really seen a problem with having the 2. Personally I think the BBFC ratings do help keep kids from buying mature content which a PEGI rating doesnt but the PEGI ratings have more varierty and are easier to understand for parents as to what content is in there. If they could make it so that you cant legally buy a game with the PEGI age rating on like with the BBFC ratings then I think the PEGI system would be better, if not then it would be bad as kids would be able to legally buy mature games like Fallout 3, Resident Evil 5, GTA IV and Madworld even with a PEGI 18+ rating on it.

Which would you guys rather see on future games?

Between them I see that PEGI play it much more safe. They give games a higher age rating the the BBFC who often rate it more realisticly. Overall however it won't have much effect on the gaming market because most game stores will sell the game to an adult regardless of who the game is acctually for because they often know what the game contains. I don't seee why we just can't keep both.

Edited by BlueFox

It obviously means Underpants....Green Underpants... :lol:

But seriously, yeah I can see what you mean for people who don't know anything about BBFC ratings and walk into a shop to buy a game, especially children who the U games are made for. When I was a small child I didn't know what the U meant until I asked my Mom.

I also remember the Uc logo that they haven't used in a while

brand.gif

I remember asking my mom what the hell that was for too and even she didn't know :lol: but I later found out it meant this -

l-BBFC-Rating-Uc.jpg

From what I can tell, the BBFC ratings are really terrible. I'm assuming PEGI are the ones with the actual age number, correct? Like 3+, for instance.

Anyway, why do you guys even have 2 rating systems? It seems sort of pointless.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

Just had a look at both the rating systems and you're right. The BBFC ones are confusing as hell. Two different 12 classifications? Is that really necessary? =/

At least with the PEGI system you have it in plain black and white. The content symbols are also helpful when you're a parent and you want to limit certain aspects. The problem with the BBFC system is that it's too vague.

A question: are BBFC ratings on movies and games and such accompanied with descriptors of what gave it the rating? I mean things like "Adult Themes", "Strong Language" and "Violence". Otherwise that's a little bit too vague for my liking.

I remember when the OFLC here in Australia overhauled the classification labels and actually made them easier to read. Much better than these suckers. Unfortunately it's probably not gonna be the case with you guys. Governments like the power to determine what you can and can't see/play/do. Just remember one thing: you guys still have an 18+ rating for games. XP

On a somewhat related note, I now finally know what that U symbol on my old tape of Wallace and Gromit: The Wrong Trousers means. ^^

Lol, people make the BBFC classifications sound way more confusing than they are. You guys seriously think "U" is hard to understand? I've known that symbol since I was little. It's an instantly recognisable symbol. All I need to see is a green triangle, let alone the letter, to know what it means.

Uc = Suitable for all, particularly children

U = Suitable for all

PG = Suitable for all, but may be inappropriate for some young children*

12A = Only used in cinemas: Under 12's must be accompanied by an adult*

12 = Obvious

15 = Obvious

18 = Obvious

*These ratings give the adult the responsibility of finding out whether they think the content of the media is appropriate for their child based on their own judgement of the child's maturity.

Having said that, I do find it weird when I see BBFC ratings on games. I'm so used to them being just for films.

Why on earth do games get randomly rated by one or the other anyways? I guess at least this will make things consistant.

Of course, the real question is, will parents heed the ratings and not buy inappropriate games for minors and then blame the game for being violent? Of course not. =D

Edited by JezMM

The top end BBFC ratings aren't so bad: 12, 15 and 18. Nice and clear that these are intended only for their specified ages.

What would be best overall in my opinion is that they scrap both PEGI and BBFC and create a new system based off both. They could call it the BBMC: British Board of Media Classification or something and use PEGI style age increments but make the higher age ratings enforceable. i.e. the 3+ would be more of a guideline as it's possible children under that age could handle the content however, a 15+ piece of media should only be available to those of that age or higher.

I think the real issue comes with recent films not strictly being suitable for younger audiences but them being more than capable of handling the content. Think Lord Of the Rings which contains lots of swordplay and violence which shouldn't be suitable for a 7 year old but the 12A rating would allow them to watch it as long as their guardian deems them psychologically fit to do so. Sometimes age really is just a number and children are being allowed to see more of what they previously wouldn't have been permitted to in the past. It's only the really extreme 15 and 18 rated stuff which parents really need to keep an eye on in my opinion.

Lol, people make the BBFC classifications sound way more confusing than they are. You guys seriously think "U" is hard to understand? I've known that symbol since I was little. It's an instantly recognisable symbol. All I need to see is a green triangle, let alone the letter, to know what it means.

Uc = Suitable for all, particularly children

U = Suitable for all

PG = Suitable for all, but may be inappropriate for some young children*

12A = Only used in cinemas: Under 12's must be accompanied by an adult*

12 = Obvious

15 = Obvious

18 = Obvious

*These ratings give the adult the responsibility of finding out whether they think the content of the media is appropriate for their child based on their own judgement of the child's maturity.

Having said that, I do find it weird when I see BBFC ratings on games. I'm so used to them being just for films.

Why on earth do games get randomly rated by one or the other anyways? I guess at least this will make things consistant.

Of course, the real question is, will parents heed the ratings and not buy inappropriate games for minors and then blame the game for being violent? Of course not. =D

Well look at what North Americans have with the ESRB.

eC: Early Childhood(3+)

K-A: Kids to Adults(retired)

E: Everyone(6+)

E10+: Everyone 10 and up

T: Teen(13+)

M: Mature(17+)

Ao: Adults Only(18+)

I only saw the "U" at first, but the number ratings are fine and dandy. Why not just do the same for the younger ratings? Or call them "G"?

Due to the government's stance on it, the BBFC rating will be manditory, which will cause major delays with some games coming to the UK (there is a rather large extra cost for having a BBFC certificate, look it up, I ain't got much time on here), depite both of the BBFCs commishioned researches recommended PEGI over them, so they had to make their own one which basically makes up Bullshit.

The reason the change is needed is because retailers are confused, as the law at current about the way PEGI is enforced is difficult.

Personally I think the PEGI rating is better not because of the actual rating system, but because they actually play the games, while the BBFC son't actually play the game, what they do is watch all the cutscenes, and watch select gameplay moments, so the PEGI system actually gives a better rating of game content.

So I'd prefer PEGI to win, but I seriously doubt it, and if BBFC wins, expect later releases in the UK.

Umm actually that is quite a common occurance, I've seen it hundreds of times in both Game stores and supermarkets.

To note people, the BBFC used to be the British Board for Film Classification (now the British Board For Classification), and they only have to rate 18 rated games, however other games can pay to have a BBFC certificate, and some do due to the government either refusing sale of it or other companies demanding it (such as film games sharing film classifications).

I find it odd how out of all the games I own, Sonic Gems Collection and Samba de Amigo are the only two that have a BBFC rating (U) as opposed to a PEGI (or in older cases, ELSPA) rating.

But if PEGI do actually play the games properly, I'd say they're a much better choice. That and PEGI gives much clearer content descriptors than the BBFC ratings do.

It doesn't matter anyway, everyone will continue to not give a shit and little boys will still be able to get to buy their GTAs.

• Thumbs Up 2

The biggest problem with this is that BBFC don't "understand" games as much as PEGI. Unlike with other media, the government and BBFC clearly don't care in the least about video games, other than banning violent ones.

The Media blame gaming on all sorts of things, it's only natural the general public don't really accept them. Somehow they're far worse than any psychological thriller.

[/rant]

Edited by SuperLink

PEGI will be chosen inline with the encroaching homogenisation of European domestic law.

While it doesn't affect me over here in the States, I've got some imported games so I'm accustomed to the BBFC and PEGI ratings so I thought I'd drop in my 2 cents.

Personally I like the PEGI ratings better and hope they're chosen. They tend to be rather clear with the exception of the one for discrimination which until learning what it meant I could only assume it was a warning for games containing 2 guys in weird hats standing on each side of another guy. At first glance they tell what the buyer (or their parents) needs to know while the BBFC ratings seem a little... odd. The mixing of ratings using letters and ratings using ages seems like it might confuse a non-gamer (again, as in the parents), especially the letters.

Plus, aren't BBFC ratings the only one with any legal weight behind them in the UK? The ESRB ratings (which are most similar to BBFC ratings) in the US, may as well have government backing considering every major chain refuses to sell M rated games to minors and refuses to stock AO rated games at all, and it really hasn't stopped kids from getting games aimed at adults at all. All you have to do is have a parent, a friend's parent, or even a random stranger willing to help, to buy the game for you and you're set.

Also it seems the BBFC isn't too concerned with doing their job right, and from what I've heard don't even bother to play the games before rating them unlike PEGI.

So here's hoping PEGI gets chosen.

Woohoo!

I actually wrote about this in my final media exam (I even mentioned that the announcement was today in it!) mentioning that if the BBFC won it could seriously affect how many kids get away with buying mature games (which is the biggest shame about PEGI winning)

On the other hand, PEGI know games better than BBFC, I think most people agree on that, otherwise BBFC owulda won.

This might not be happening for quite some time...

Sources concerned that upcoming general election could slam the brakes on outlined ratings rethink

A source close to the Video Standards Council, the body which will work alongside new games regulator PEGI, has told MCV that there’s not yet a timescale in place to roll-out the changes – and furthermore, there’s concerns that the upcoming general election could delay its implementation.

Not only will a structure have to be put in place for assessment and subsequent ratings, but a new range of categories and warning symbols are also in the works.

Furthermore, retail will be keen to know at what stage the trading of games not marked up with the new ratings will be illegalized, as the possibility of sitting on what will effectively become illegal stock will be a concern.

A general election is certain to take place before the end of June 2010, and with a change in government quite likely according to many, a lengthy rollout could get caught up in the parliamentary turnover.

...but at least the VSC has been given tougher powers for non-compliance of the PEGI system...

The Video Standards Council – the new body managing game ratings in the UK – has been given tough powers to enforce legislation of the new PEGI system.

Company's that do not adopt the PEGI system will face fines and the possibility of titles not being granted a license to be released in the UK. The VSC also has the option to ban games from release.

"The VSC will be an independent body, as is the PEGI system, and while I'm sure there's some joining up to do, it's a tough system," detailed Electronic Arts' UK MD Keith Ramsdale, who has been consulting with the Digital Britain report as part of his role on the ELSPA board.

"We've gone further than the recommendations and PEGI will impose fines for non-compliance and possible exclusion from the PEGI system for non compliance.

"This isn't something ELSPA can affect, this will become a legislative statutory system and ELSPA doesn't get an influence, it's being handled independently," he added.

While the PEGI system has always raised concerns that it was a self-regulatory system, the Video Standards Council will oversee ratings and crack down on any companies trying to exploit the system as it puts into place a self-declaration process.

"To be honest so much content now goes online it's not realistic to expect a classification body to classify a product. It's got to be a self-declared process," said Ramsdale.

"But there's a big difference between self-regulation and self-declaration. So what a publisher will do is complete a self-declaration and of course there will be checks on what content people put in, and there will be highly punitive measures should publishers not comply."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/vsc-...-of-pegi-system

The clear BBFC style descriptions do need to stay on the back of game boxes.

"Contains strong violence, very strong language, sex & drug references. Suitable only for persons of 18 years & over"

That couldn't get the message across any clearer. Compare that to the laughably bad, cartoony logos currently employed by PEGI:

pegi.png

I mean what's that last one all about? 'Contains wanking'?

The clear BBFC style descriptions do need to stay on the back of game boxes.

"Contains strong violence, very strong language, sex & drug references. Suitable only for persons of 18 years & over"

That couldn't get the message across any clearer. Compare that to the laughably bad, cartoony logos currently employed by PEGI:

pegi.png

I mean what's that last one all about? 'Contains wanking'?

Tbh no one noticed the BBFC ones either, I've had customer complaints asking me why we sold a parent an 18 rating game and why no one told them it was violent.

They need to be on the front of the box... in tall neon letters.... and still people will miss it.

I also think they are making a new set of symbols for the ratings which use PEGI's system, but are more identifiable with the UK public.

Tbh I'm just glad that my work have now confirmed that we can legally enforce PEGI now, no more customers tryign to play a smart one on us and threatening us that we are breaking the law by not selling PEGI rated games (the law around that was really odd, and I've seen some stores get in deep for it).

I must be the only one then that knows Tha Fist means violence. I know what all those logo's mean actually. =P

But yeah, I'm glad PEGI won. I dunno, I just found it weird seeing BBFC ratings on videogame boxes since I'm used to seeing those on the video and DVD boxes instead. It looked strange.

Funny thing is I thought BBFC's were too vague compared to PEGI's... PEGI's tell you what's in a game aslong as they mean, but BBFC's only say very brief things.

I always thought the PEGI content images were fairly obvious apart from maybe the discrimination one. No offence but I don't think it matters WHAT rating system is chosen because irresponsible parents will always find some way to pin the reason why their poor, sweet little child went out and murdered 17 people on a videogame. :P

"He fell into my Wii remote, he fell into my Wii remote ten times!"

"He had it coming, he had it coming, he only had himself to blame..."

Etc, etc...

Also according to PEGI Wii Sports contains wanking violence, most likely due to the boxing game.

I suppose PEGI is probably the best choice, as long as the icons are explained on the back of the box of course. Is it me or did some games already use BBFC? Samba De Amigo is the only game I own that uses it, but I've seen it done on others before. I did think it was really weird at the time, but I didn't look into it.

pegi.png

Honestly, it's a really good thing that films don't use the PEGI ratings. Imagine if you had to put that spider warning on a DVD release of Charlotte's Web - talk about stating the obvious. :P I didn't even know people could get so scared of spiders that they're not even able to look at them on a screen, so the warning seems a bit silly too. Don't get me started on the whole "Warning - contains dice" thing - not being able to watch gambling makes no sense no matter what way I look at it.

Edited by Tombi