Awoo.

Facts about the series that you were surprised about

AlphaRuby

What things about the franchise were you surprised about when you found out?

An example from me is that the character of Charmy is almost as old as the series itself (his first appearance being in a 1992 manga).

• Thumbs Up 2

The fact that most characters would barely even go past my waist.

• Thumbs Up 7

- That Charmy was originally 16 in Knuckles Chaotix in contrast to being 10 years younger in Heroes.

- That Sonic was originally going to be a Rabbit.

- That Sonic was originally going to have a human girlfriend named Madonna (although you could argue that she did manage to find a way in the games as Elise.)

That they're even making games anymore. For the longest time I thought they stopped ages ago after that one game with the black Sonic and the chao :U

I was also surprised when I found out that the way the you get past the barell of doom is to simply press up and down. Ten. Fucking. Years. Later.

• Thumbs Up 3

Not really sure if it relates to the series, but I was surprised to find out that Sonic's favorite drink was Coca Cola. 

• Thumbs Up 2

- I never noticed that the Knothole Freedom Fighters except for Antoine had their species based off of the small animals Sonic frees from Badnik's when I was a kid and I was surprised when I learned about it.

- I was surprised when I discovered the character's ages in the Heroes manual. I would never have thought that Sonic was 15 or Amy 12.

- On the same tangent the official measurements of the characters. Like SpinAttax, I was a bit surprised by the fact that many of the characters are very short but then there's the fact that they're so freakin' heavy for their size. What the heck does Sonic have to weigh 35kg at only 3'03'' tall!? Dense bones?

- I was very unpleasantly surprised to discover that people actually write and draw rule 34 of Sonic characters when I stumbled across it upon getting home internet for the first time blink.png Brain bleach please!

• Thumbs Up 4

The barrel too I didn't get past it until I bought mega collection a few years since I've last played the game sad.png

That Tails was a boy tongue.png

Oh and the weirdest one yet, Chaos 0 and Chaos zero being the same...

Because I'm from Holland I read most 0's as "nul" So as a kidI thought "Chaos nul" and Chaos zero as two separate Chaos's. I even made a theory up, that "Chaos nul" and the robot Zero (from Sonic adventure) fused together to form Chaos zero tongue.png

One of the biggest idiot moment I ever had.

Edited by Animatedmusic
  • Thumbs Up 1

-That a third Sonic show (SatAM) existed.

-Madonna.

-What species Knuckles is supposed to be.

-That Eggman seemingly prefers sandwitches and not egg-related food. *Sees Unleashed*

• Thumbs Up 3

That Sonic CD's main theme was a remix of Green Hills from Sonic 2 8-bit.  Since I played the latter way before even hearing CD's music, let alone playing it, this was total fanservice-tastic for me when I learned it back in 2003 or so.

Another Sonic 2 8-bit one - I never got all emeralds as a kid, never being able to reach Sky High's and finding no trace of Gimmick Mt.'s or Scrambled Egg's.  The fact that Gimmick Mt.'s was through practically the one wall in the stage I never thought to see if it was walkable-through (I was savvy to the fact that you could pass through some walls as a kid, but not that one) was a mindblow as it was.  But even bigger was, since I never had the manual as a kid, I never knew that Scrambled Egg's emerald is not hidden at all but given to you for getting the other 5.  Hours wasted scouring this zone for that last emerald, and said information was actually in the manual, had I owned it!

Finally, I guess at the time, the fact that Mobius and all that was not canon and only made up for the western manuals and such must have been a bit of a mindblow.  I was quick to accept the official canon and Eggman name etc though.

One more, again due to being raised on the Master System games, I didn't realise Sonic 1 16-bit was the first game in the series as a kid.  I figured all the Master System games must have come before the Mega Drive ones because it was an older system.  Sonic 1 8-bit was to Sonic what Super Mario Bros. was to Mario, and therefore, since it was a later system, the Mega Drive games obviously were the Sonic equivelant of Mario World.

I think I was intelligent enough to realise Sonic 1 Mega Drive did NOT come after Sonic 1, 2 AND Chaos on Master System, but I did certainly think that Sonic 1 Mega Drive at least came out after Sonic 1 Master System.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mines would be the explanation on why Yuji Naka deciding that Sonic can't swim.

I believe in an interview he simply stated how he assumed that hedgehogs couldn't swim, where in fact, they actually can.

Edited by canderson

Mines would be the explanation on why Yuji Naka deciding that Sonic can't swim.

I believe in an interview he simply stated how he assumed that hedgehogs couldn't swim, where in fact, they actually can.

It's apparently due to the fact that Sonic never learned to swim and developed hydrophobia.

My surprise came when people didn't know what a hedgehog was until they googled it in curiosity. I know there's no hedgehogs in the US, but...really? They're one of the most common Eurasian animals aside from the red fox and red squirrel. People still get them mixed up with porcupines when they're not even related at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

•A part of Sonic's design in SA2 was subtle product placement.

•Anthros in the StH universe don't have arches, heels, or toes.

•Sonic's personallity and a part of his design were based off of the king of pop and Santy Claus.

•There was an (non-canon) interspecies relationship in the series before SatAM

•Dr. Eggman's design is a cartoony President Roosevelt.

Edited by @ut0

That Sonic CD's main theme was a remix of Green Hills from Sonic 2 8-bit.  Since I played the latter way before even hearing CD's music, let alone playing it, this was total fanservice-tastic for me when I learned it back in 2003 or so.

Just chiming in, is this actually accurate? We have beta's of CD dating as far back as May 1992, and they all include "You Can Do Anything". S2 8-Bit was released in Autumn of '92, and CD in Autumn '93. But considering CD was the much more high profile game, presumably with a longer development time, it would make sense that the music originated in CD and not S2. 

Oh here's one from my youth- I was surprised to discover that Knuckles wasn't a girl. He had long hair and was pink, so you know, he had to be a she in my eyes.

Edited by Blue Blood

Dang, learned some surpising facts from this thread alone!

• Tails was originally supposed to be a girl.
  • Sonic was originally going to be a rabbit. Augh, how cute.
  • Shadow isn't naturally fast, he just has fast shooooes.
  • In StH, Robotnik was originally a kind-hearted scientist and Sonic wasn't originally blue.
  • Scourge the Hedgehog, the Zone Police, and how Amy is apparently—physically—Sonic's age rather than just twelve... . . 
  • The whole Michael Jackson + Santa thing, lmfao.

Dang, learned some surpising facts from this thread alone!

• Tails was originally supposed to be a girl.

Tails was never supposed to be a girl.
  • Thumbs Up 4

Tails was originally supposed to be a girl.

No he wasn't! I am sick of hearing people say this. At no point during his creation was Tails supposed to be female! Does "Miles" sound like a girl's name to you?

And Blue Blood beat me to the punch.

Edited by ElectroKyurem

Tails was never supposed to be a girl.

Really, I remember hanging out Sonic Stadium years ago and reading somewhere that he was originally intended to be a lady. 

Hmm, although, looking at it seem like it was miscommunication or something, ha-ha! Whoops, my bad then. 8)

Edit: Dang-a-rang, okay, okay! I gotcha! LMFAO, no need to get antsy, simple mistake.

Edited by horrormoans

.... Amy's supposed to be 16?

Amy's 12. She's younger than Sonic, who's 15. Knuckles is 16.

Edited by Blue Blood