Awoo.

Facts about the series that you were surprised about

AlphaRuby

-Finding out that some of Classic Sonic's world locations are actual names of places IRL

-According to the "History of Sonic the Hedgehog" Sonic 1, Sonic 2, and Sonic CD were supposed to come out earlier but were delayed because they needed more development time

-Shadow's placeholder name was "Terios" 

It's more likely that Ray was based on an early design of Tails, kind of like how Mighty was allegedly based on an early design of Sonic.

Is it a possibility that Ray was based on a early design of Tails? Yes. Is it a fact? No.

The same goes for the whole Mighty was designed on an early design of Sonic (which if you really pay attention to the armadillo sketch and Mighty they have nothing in common)

Is it a possibility that Ray was based on a early design of Tails? Yes. Is it a fact? No.

The same goes for the whole Mighty was designed on an early design of Sonic (which if you really pay attention to the armadillo sketch and Mighty they have nothing in common)

I never stated that it was a fact, only that it was a possibility. As for Mighty, there's a reason I said "allegedly". While the sketch you mentioned is noticably less anthropomorphic than Mighty, there's still a chance that it may have influenced the decision to make him an armadillo.

• Fact what in Sonic 2006 should have been 309 cutscenes.
  • And the fact that the English translation of this game is very awful was made.
  • Thumbs Up 2

The original concept drawings for SatAM kinda freaked me out. Sally in particular looked really weird, more like a Looney Tunes character than a Sega one.

• And the fact that the English translation of this game is very awful was made.

(Am I mean for being very entertained by this).

• Thumbs Up 5

Sonic 3 (alone)'s save select changes after roughly 47 minutes.

Sonic 3 (alone)'s save select changes after roughly 47 minutes.

Gee, I wonder where you just saw this? :P

It's just a glitch that causes the volume of one instrument to go much louder than it's supposed to..

Still, it's interesting to know, and I never knew that beforehand.

Also, I suppose that Eggman was once known as Robotnik also surprised me.

Edited by Spin Attaxx

That one of the concepts for the original Sonic game was that Sonic could pick up objects and throw them at enemies. But the idea was scrapped because it slowed the game down to a crawl.

*Protoblaze, and the fact that it's at least as old as Sonic Adventure 2

*Knuckles Chaotix's existance

*Madonna

*Knuckles being an Echidna and not a hedgehog. As I kid, I thought he was a Hedgehog, since his hiar looked like a longer version of Amy's

*Sonic CD having 2 soundtracks, and the fact that the fans love arguing over which one is "better"

*That no matter how awful the games can be, the music somehow still manages to be AMAZING.

*The fact that even Classic Sonic had a voice in a few games. What's even more surprising is the fact that he had no voice in Generations.

*Eggman was always Eggman in Japan. Why'd they change it to Robotnik for US/EU?

*the fact that quite a few Sonic Mangas exist in Japan

*the fact that Europe had Sonic the Comic and it had nothing to do with the Archie Comics we get in the states

*Sonic 2 and Sonic CD where originally going to be the same game at some early point in development and split into 2.

*Tails requiring the Super Emeralds to go Super while Sonic and Knuckles can go Hyper

*the fact that I've never beaten a classic game, and the fact that I don't like Sonic 3, yet kinda like Sonic & Knux, and how apparently Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the best game ever according to the classic fanbase.

*The fact that the official crossover games for Mario and Sonic... are based on the Olympics. the first game doesn't even have a PLOT!

*How terrible Sonic Chronicles was.

*The Sonic/Megaman crossover. Didn't see that one coming.

*That it took THIS long for them to finally make a Sonic Monopoly Game.

*Miku Hatsune cover of Live & Learn

*There's some finished fangames that actually look cool. Speaking of which, how that Freedom Planet fangame is now aiming to be a legit Indie game.

*Cell phone games apparently existed in Japan and they weren't ports. This is those ones from years ago, not Sonic Dash or Sonic Jump... which oddly enough, didn't really surprise me at all.

*the "Sonic Likes Coca-Cola" fact that's been posted in the thread... despite how it's actually kind of obvious ("Chaos Cola")

*Apparently the "Sonic loves Chillidogs" thing was a Western idea that wasn't acknowledged in Japan until Sonic World Adventure.

*People who Ship Sonic and Tails together... *shudder*

*how some people in the fanbase don't realize that the games, the comics, and the cartoons ARE ALL COMPLETELY DIFFERENT UNIVERSES AND SHOULD BE TREATED AS SUCH. It's one thing to make your own fan INTERPRETATION of Sonic, and the world BASED on the different mediums... it's a totally different thing to just grab ideas from different mediums and present them as one single "fact" like it's all the same. I mean honestly, alot of ideas just conflict with each other. I NEVER understood these type of people. Ever.

• Thumbs Up 2

That nearly everyone has performed similar to or exactly like Sonic.(or in otherwords, everyone is a sonic clone once or twice in a lifetime)

Everyone who was in ShTH as an AI teammate controlled the same.(Jump dash, punch/kick/whatever combo, jump that hurts) except for Charmy.

Everyone in the Rivals Games.

Blaze was VERY similar to Sonic in base abilities in Rush(she just had different tricks[higher jump trick] and a little hover instead of a homing attack/jumpdash)

Mighty is the Sonic clone of Knuckles Chaotix.

Amy and Shadow in SA2(and SA2B).(Ironically, Metal Sonic had the most differences from Sonic/Shadow)

Edited by Dom

Everyone who was in ShTH as an AI teammate controlled the same.(Jump dash, punch/kick/whatever combo, jump that hurts) except for Charmy.

Wich reminds me, I was a bit surprised to discover that the teammate could be controlled just like Tails was back in the classic days

*Knuckles Chaotix's existance

*Madonna

*Knuckles being an Echidna and not a hedgehog. As I kid, I thought he was a Hedgehog, since his hiar looked like a longer version of Amy's

*Sonic CD having 2 soundtracks, and the fact that the fans love arguing over which one is "better"

*That no matter how awful the games can be, the music somehow still manages to be AMAZING.

*The fact that even Classic Sonic had a voice in a few games. What's even more surprising is the fact that he had no voice in Generations.

*Eggman was always Eggman in Japan. Why'd they change it to Robotnik for US/EU?

*the fact that quite a few Sonic Mangas exist in Japan

*the fact that Europe had Sonic the Comic and it had nothing to do with the Archie Comics we get in the states

*Sonic 2 and Sonic CD where originally going to be the same game at some early point in development and split into 2.

*Tails requiring the Super Emeralds to go Super while Sonic and Knuckles can go Hyper

*the fact that I've never beaten a classic game, and the fact that I don't like Sonic 3, yet kinda like Sonic & Knux, and how apparently Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the best game ever according to the classic fanbase.

*The fact that the official crossover games for Mario and Sonic... are based on the Olympics. the first game doesn't even have a PLOT!

*How terrible Sonic Chronicles was.

*The Sonic/Megaman crossover. Didn't see that one coming.

*That it took THIS long for them to finally make a Sonic Monopoly Game.

*Miku Hatsune cover of Live & Learn

*There's some finished fangames that actually look cool. Speaking of which, how that Freedom Planet fangame is now aiming to be a legit Indie game.

*Cell phone games apparently existed in Japan and they weren't ports. This is those ones from years ago, not Sonic Dash or Sonic Jump... which oddly enough, didn't really surprise me at all.

*the "Sonic Likes Coca-Cola" fact that's been posted in the thread... despite how it's actually kind of obvious ("Chaos Cola")

*Apparently the "Sonic loves Chillidogs" thing was a Western idea that wasn't acknowledged in Japan until Sonic World Adventure.

*People who Ship Sonic and Tails together... *shudder*

*how some people in the fanbase don't realize that the games, the comics, and the cartoons ARE ALL COMPLETELY DIFFERENT UNIVERSES AND SHOULD BE TREATED AS SUCH. It's one thing to make your own fan INTERPRETATION of Sonic, and the world BASED on the different mediums... it's a totally different thing to just grab ideas from different mediums and present them as one single "fact" like it's all the same. I mean honestly, alot of ideas just conflict with each other. I NEVER understood these type of people. Ever.

Actually it was mentioned in the japanese manual or stragety guide for Sonic Advance 3.

Shadow the Hedgehog being censored for it's intended audience. Why? That's as dumb as making a port/remake of a game look worse than the original version of it.(Unless the system the game is being ported to is graphically inferior)

Actually it was mentioned in the japanese manual or stragety guide for Sonic Advance 3.

Oh yeah, I remember hearing that now that you've brought it up, thanks!

To be honest, I was quite surprised that they were going to keep the fact that Sonic would love Chili Dogs. 

I was actually surprised in SA2 that it was infact Amy that would end up triggering Shadow to actually help the group. They made her REALLY annoying and I was a bit sad she was not a playable character. But for her to have a role like that was something I wasn't expecting.

That for a while Tails was voiced by someone named Corey Bringas. It's an old meme now, but Bringas?

That for a while Tails was voiced by someone named Corey Bringas. It's an old meme now, but Bringas?

Pingas.

I'm surprised at ALOT of memes that go around...

These ones aren't real, I'm afraid. Blaze wasn't created until Sonic Rush/06, and Sonic CD began out as an enhanced port of Sonic 1 for the Mega CD before they decided to make it a game of its own (which makes sense considering the levels in CD that aesthetically resemble Sonic 1 levels)

These ones aren't real, I'm afraid. Blaze wasn't created until Sonic Rush/06, and Sonic CD began out as an enhanced port of Sonic 1 for the Mega CD before they decided to make it a game of its own (which makes sense considering the levels in CD that aesthetically resemble Sonic 1 levels)

The CD one does have some weight to it. At some point Sonic CD was going to be either an enhanced port of either Sonic 1 or 2 (which was just about to be released/still in development at the time) before it was going to be an original game. Additionally, there were reports of a "Sonic CD 2" in development, which either pointed to a enhanced Mega CD port of Sonic 2 that was later dropped/cancelled or a development title for Sonic CD. Also Sonic 2 was going to have time travel, but it was dropped and was later picked up and implemented into CD by Oshima.

Also, did you know? Sonic and Knuckles was never developed by Sonic Team. The real developers of the game were none other than...elves who work at the North Pole. Fascinating, isn't it?

Don't believe me? See for yourself!

Edited by Gabe
  • Thumbs Up 2