Awoo.

Facts about the series that you were surprised about

AlphaRuby

I remember getting the internet for the first time and learning all about the archie comics and the various mangas, I never knew other countries had got sonic comics.

I remember going on the internet and finding out about this one Sonic manga where Sonic is just an alter ego and his real name is Nicky. This is also the manga where Amy and Charmy first come from.

Wasn't there some proof that CD was originally gunna be an enhanced port of Sonic 1? Like some video of a product reel at a trade show that shows video of Sonic 1 but calling it Sonic CD?

I remember going on the internet and finding out about this one Sonic manga where Sonic is just an alter ego and his real name is Nicky. This is also the manga where Amy and Charmy first come from.

I think everyone and their mother gets surprised by that the first time, at least if they're not used to how canon immigrants work. I remember hearing about that back in 2008, but back then the only proof was a single image on GHZ. Turned out a bit of a Sonic 2 guide scanned on Retro was from the same continuity, and then we got stuff that just drove it home and all but confirmed that they were almost exactly like their manga counterparts in terms of design, because it turned they got redesigned prior to them being introduced into the games. 

• How god awful the soundtrack in Chronicles was. Seriously, Bioware? Everyone expected better of you, since the soundtracks in Kotor and Mass Effect had so much quality and effort put into them.
  • Amy Rose was called princess Sally in the US because Satam was so popular. Jesus, I know promoting that show is a good thing, but they look nothing alike! 
  • The lyrics in the 06 version of Sweet Dream were created by Dreams Come true a while back, when I always thought it was Akon that raped the Sonic 2 version. The song itself isn't so bad, but it's much worse when you draw parallels to it and the Sonic/ Elise relationship seen in 06.
  • Tails wasn't originally going to be playable in SA2. I know his missions didn't have much of an effect on the plot, but how could they even consider leaving a major character like Tails out( gameplay wise)?
Edited by Knightofthewind417

Second on the character's weights,  they weigh about as much as would be normal for a human about a foot (roughly 30 cm) taller.  I guess it makes some sense considering they're very strong for their size , their bodies are presumably very dense,  the weights don't seem to vary according to strength though.

It's also surprised me to find out that Sonic 2's credit song was an instrumental of Sweet Dreams by Dreams Come True,  complete with the same lyrics as the 06 version. 

Edited by Mysterics

The SatAM series nearly had it's own Sonic game.

I was more surprised by the Sonic Extreme skateboarding game.

I wish the satam game had come out, I know most people  hated the look of it but I thought it looked interesting.

I was more surprised by the Sonic Extreme skateboarding game.

Bear in mind that was never a real game. It was something that a company pitched to SEGA, and many other companies. They simply reskinned the game for the different pitches, changing the character models and some textures. I don't know what happened afterwards but I'd guess it led to Riders, considering the concept of Sonic on hoverboard isn't exactly something you'd expect lots of people to come up with.

Maybe SEGA were interested as well as one of the other companies it was pitched to, and so SEGA lost out and wen t about making their own? Or maybe SEGA just said "fuck you, we'll make it ourselves"?

Bear in mind that was never a real game. It was something that a company pitched to SEGA, and many other companies. They simply reskinned the game for the different pitches, changing the character models and some textures. I don't know what happened afterwards but I'd guess it led to Riders, considering the concept of Sonic on hoverboard isn't exactly something you'd expect lots of people to come up with.

Maybe SEGA were interested as well as one of the other companies it was pitched to, and so SEGA lost out and wen t about making their own? Or maybe SEGA just said "fuck you, we'll make it ourselves"?

oh yeah, I forgot about that. Thanks.

The fact that most characters would barely even go past my waist.

Definitely this. It's kind of weird to look on the series and understand that almost all the characters are so darn short. I think SEGA just got lazy with the measurements and decided they should just take a meterstick and say that's Sonic's height, and everything went from there. Plus his diminutive size helps him be "cute" versus older-looking, hence why Modern got a huge growth spurt. ...still short as hell though. Which gets even weirder when you consider Classic and Modern are actually the same height; the growth is all an illusion.

==

I was surprised to find out that Sonic actually appeared in another SEGA game prior to his official debut, which is incredibly weird in retrospect. But makes sense, he shares this trait with Mario. :P

It was also interesting to find out Eggman was always Robotnik's original name, and that the Robotnik title we all love so much is purely the result of Western markets trying to make him more intimidating.

Was also surprised to hear that the Sonic 2 ending music is a real song called Sweet Dreams (or Sweet Sweet Sweet). Hearing that song though, in a game with Sonic and Tails...yeahhh.

And I was really surprised and disappointed when I found out that Silver was originally going to be a mink! The concept art looked amazing too, way better than the final design. And of course turning him into another hedgehog. >_>

Heavy n' Bomb. When I played Heroes as a kid, I saw Espio, Vector and Charmy was like "OOOH NOO KAWAKTAHS! :D" then I learned they were from Knuckles' Chaotix about three months after my internet addiction started in 2007. I learnt about Heavy and Bomb back in like, 2012. My jaw dropped. I know. I'm an idiot.

Heavy n' Bomb. When I played Heroes as a kid, I saw Espio, Vector and Charmy was like "OOOH NOO KAWAKTAHS! :D" then I learned they were from Knuckles' Chaotix about three months after my internet addiction started in 2007. I learnt about Heavy and Bomb back in like, 2012. My jaw dropped. I know. I'm an idiot.

When did you learn about mighty?

When did you learn about mighty?

Oh dang, I forgot about Mighty. xD

Learnt about him quite a while back when the whole "Sonic was originally an armadillo" thing was popular. So, before Heavy and Bomb.

Oh dang, I forgot about Mighty. xD

Learnt about him quite a while back when the whole "Sonic was originally an armadillo" thing was popular. So, before Heavy and Bomb.

Did you have any astonishment when you found some of the other forgotten characters, like Nack/Fang, or maybe Bark?

Did you have any astonishment when you found some of the other forgotten characters, like Nack/Fang, or maybe Bark?

Actually, nope. Discovered them in Gems Collection, and at that time I wasn't that big of a Sonic fan. I was quite pleased with their cameo posters in Generations, though.

He...didn't look all that different as a mink to be honest. 

Well, no. But he had a much more interesting design. XP That giant...thing on its head still puts me off.

He...didn't look all that different as a mink to be honest. 

I don't think we ever saw any art of him as a mink.

And I was really surprised and disappointed when I found out that Silver was originally going to be a mink! The concept art looked amazing too, way better than the final design. And of course turning him into another hedgehog. >_>

Were you also surprised to learn Silver was originally a character in a completely different game in development. Which got scrapped. Then the idea for the game (characters with telekenetic powers) and his character (after being redesigned as an animal) were reused for Sonic '06.

Y'know, I always had that feeling that Silver's gameplay was a seperate game initially...

It begs the question, if he wasn't originally in the plan for '06, was it just going to be Sonic & Shadow? Or was there plans for someone else to be the third character?

Also I am of the mind that Silver would have been much better off as an orange mink called Venice as was originally intended. It would have fit the theme of Soliana, and at least he would be a different animal. Why they went with hedgehog again baffles my mind. Hope they fired whoever came up with that bright idea lol

Because they were clearly going for Silver to be the new Shadow by making him a hedgehog.

And honestly, even if they went with him being a mink, it would not have changed his role or reception as a character.

And honestly, even if they went with him being a mink, it would not have changed his role or reception as a character.

Very true. People were already sick of new characters. And although his appearance does get criticized, his characterization gets panned a lot more. Which is why I have always thought the should have just used the characters they already had better rather than constantly making new ones since Adventure 2 with Shadow and Rouge first popping up and starting the whole excess characters thing.

Anyway back on track,

I was surprised to find out about Sega Sonic Arcade and Ray the Flying Squirrel. I think I first found out about it when Chaotix came out and I was looking at info about Mighty.