Awoo.

Sonic Shuffle 2 - What do you say?

DarkRula

So, I've just read the entire page on the Sonic News Network about the Dreamcast game Sonic Shuffle [not many would read an entire page, I know that], and couldn't help thinking - why not SEGA try again?
After all, the Mario Party games are doing pretty well, and Wii Party seems to borrow more elements from this game than Mario Party does. So why couldn't SEGA make a second Shuffle.
The opportunity for it is perfect. SEGA seem to be holding their own on the WiiU by utilising the Game Pad perfectly, and they'll have the advantage over Nintendo again [first arcade racer on the system, first board game party game on the system].
And after all, Sonic no has even more characters in its roster, and an even bigger selection of levels. After the new game is released, Shuffle 2 could also prove a useful advertising tool for Sonic's second new game.

I'd rather have more main Sonic games than a sequel to a crummy ripoff spinoff no-one remembers.

Edited by Spin Attaxx
  • Thumbs Up 1

I probably wouldn't be interested in one, but it could potentially be a decent party game, assuming it doesn't look like a blatant Mario Party copy.

Mario Party has already destroyed many of my friendships, and I'd rather Sonic not make my friends hate eachother.

On a serious note, no I wouldn't. I can't really think of any ways a "Sonic Party" game could differentiate itself from other party games.

Edited by Enderwoman
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well then. Food for thought, what if it was like a main Sonic game but with movement controlled by the cards?

And reading your opinions on the original game, I sure would like to at least experience it to see for myself.

I already kinda got bored of that stuff a few Mario Parties ago? Also I'm not sure they could nail the silly, playful nature that a game of that sort needs.

Well then. Food for thought, what if it was like a main Sonic game but with movement controlled by the cards?

...what?

You'd be talking a card based RPG in that case, pretty similar to how Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories and Baten Kaitos dealt with it.

In both cases: No. Sonic Shuffle is a horrible game, albeit a horrible game with fairly decent music. The load times were atrocious, the AI was far too difficult for you to have any fun in the single player modes, and the constant waiting made multiplayer a real chore.

I'm all for seeing the original game XBLA'd if the loading was fixed, but I wouldn't want to see a new entry.

i enjoyed a few bits in shuffle, its pretty impossible to make it NOT look like a mario party rip off, but im perfectly happy with the mini games/ party modes they had in secret rings, and mario and sonic at the london olympics, and i really enjoyed those modes :).

although I would love to have a party/minigame style sonic think that utilises all the characters and uses their strengths and weaknesses in a workable way, i just know that the fanbase aside from myself would absolutely hate it for too many reasons to mention so id actually rather they diddnt :/

One time I was playing the game on easy mode with a Preciousstone somewhere around five spaces away from where I was. It would have easily won me the game. But suddenly and without warning, CPU Knuckles uses a Hi-Speederald to use three cards at once, all of which were the maximum value, 6. So Knuckles just strolls right up from halfway across the board and all of the strategic navigation I'd spent at least ten turns planning was for naught. That's absolute bullshit.

The load times aren't the problem, it's the blatantly cheating CPU. If Sega can fix that, then I'd be totally down for an HD rerelease, because I truly do believe there's a great party game in here.

As for the sequel, would people in this day and age really want to pay penny out of pocket for something that is basically Mario Party with Sonic's fat face slapped on it? There would need to be serious changes to the gameplay format.

• Thumbs Up 4

Clone though it may be, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned that it was actually Hudson who developed Sonic Shuffle - the same Hudson who worked on Mario Party.

Must've been a case of SEGA saying "well, we want whatever they've got", and didn't really ask for much more than that.

I wouldn't put off a party game being made, but I really doubt it would be that original.

Then again, unoriginality doesn't always mean it'll be bad. Just look at the All-Stars Racing games. I would be all for a "Sonic Party" if it has online play and is on Steam. To play Mario Party with friends on Steam would be a dream come true.

I wouldn't put off a party game being made, but I really doubt it would be that original.

Then again, unoriginality doesn't always mean it'll be bad. Just look at the All-Stars Racing games. I would be all for a "Sonic Party" if it has online play and is on Steam. To play Mario Party with friends on Steam would be a dream come true.

Not only would it be all the rage, it would be all the frustration as well. If this happens though, I hope that all of Sonic's transformations are seperate characters or even better, Hyper and Super knuckles as different characters.

It would probably be loads better than pacman party.tongue.png

At first I thought you were talking about Pac-Man Fever.

Which I actually thought was kinda fun.

In my opinion, Mario Party's gonna quite downhill. What's ironic is that my personal favourite of the lot is also what I believe is the last good one; Mario Party 6.

But really, hardly anyone played Sonic Shuffle as far as I'm aware. I personally don't really think that it's worth making; and if they DO make it, there's about a 0.0000000005% chance they'll call it Sonic Shuffle 2.

Interesting concept, but it'd be really hard to please everyone with.

Its not a rip-off if it was developed by the same company, and though it could be considered as much of a clone, as mario party 2 is of one. However, from what I understand, it was about equal to the original mario party, just longer loading times

Sonic Shuffle 2?

Meh, I don't want that specifically. If Sonic were ever to get a party game spinoff again, it would need to be something that really has the franchise's identity beyond mere aesthetics - something that puts the idea of speed to use in a game of this nature. Not sure how they would go about that, but...honestly, maybe something like a multiplayer WarioWare-type deal could work...

• Thumbs Up 1

I think another game would work well but I think it should take on more of a crash bash type game scenario where you basically have 6 or so game types with different levels in each of of them and all of them require mostly skill rather than luck unlike the mario party games with most of their minigames. Also, it wouldn't be the type of board that mario party uses but something more along the lines of pac man party but more explorable.

You'd be talking a card based RPG in that case, pretty similar to how Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories and Baten Kaitos dealt with it.

Damn, I was gonna say something like that. Yeah, card based movement would just slow the game down incredibly. I don't quite understand why people are trying to implement game play styles, that don't belong in a sonic game to begin with, in a Sonic game. I didn't play shuffle, (maybe that's a good thing...), but i'm pretty sure a sequel to a rip-off of mario party wouldn't suit Sonic too well today.

Besides,aren't the Mario and Sonic Olympic Games basically Mario party knock-offs? I think that's enough for a party spinoff for sonic.

I liked the concept behind Sonic Shuffle, so I would love to see a sequel (hopefully with a more imaginative title that Sonic Shuffle 2). Of course, they'll have to make the CPU less intelligent, and maybe simplify the card mechanics. I also think the setting should be a bit more down-to-earth than the first game's dream universe, but that's just personal preference.

Sonic Shuffle is one of my favorite Sonic games. It's a way more in depth version of Mario Party with a really crazy, out of this world soundtrack that is an absolute blast to listen to. I would love a sequel. Just fix the cell shaded style so it looks better.

It isn't without its flaws but it's honestly one of my absolute favorite party games even now. I loved how selecting different characters actually meant something instead of every character being clones of each other like in Mario Party. It makes picking your favorite character actually feel like you're picking that character.

The card system was neat especially when you put the ability to steal other players' cards and the Eggman into consideration. Force Gems having effects inside and outside of battle was cool and I liked battling monsters to acquire Precioustones and acquire Force Gems just in general.

I will always consider this game underrated. It has a steep learning curve but it's super fun once you get the hang of it.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 4

Sonic Shuffle was pretty much like a Sonic version of Mario Party, if they made a sequel, it would probably be on this gen, or next gen consoles, meaning updated graphics, and probably newer characters, and more stuff than the last game. Personally, I wouldn't mind a Sonic Shuffle 2, I think it'd be something cool to try out.