Awoo.

Summer of Sonic 2013

Swiss

If not for being on the other side of the lake without a passport and no monies, I WOULD SO BE THERE IN A HEARTBEAT!

... guess I'll have to watch the stream this time...

It's going to be later this year apparently, that's why we haven't heard much news on it.

• Thumbs Up 2

sonickneel.gif

It's just a teaser but so excited already.  Looks like we might have some sort of theme this year?  C=

I really wanted to go...but again this year is impossible for me.

MAN! I really want to go to one of these some day...sad.png

I'd totally fork over cash for it, but given how impossible it is to get in (based on what I've heard of the ticket sales), I wouldn't bother. But it is definitely something I'd fly to the UK for, given how much I loved Sonic Boom and my continued anxiety that there won't be another.

But, short of Dreadknux accepting massive bribes in exchange for a guaranteed ticket... unfortunately cannot be there! Enjoy the fact you're not at SEGA's mercy at least, folks!

-Summer of Sonic always in England

Well yep, going to Sonic Boom this year.

If there's a livestream then I'll totally watch it, but being there in person is completely out of the question unfortunately. I'm in Canada and I have no money for such a thing (being a high school student, lol). Maybe someday I will be able to (I hope it's still happening come the 2020s), but until then I'll have to stick with livestreams and photos. My parents and I are going to England for the wedding of some obscure relative I've never heard of (as you can see I'm totally not psyched for that :P), but that's in early July and it won't overlap with SoS and even if it did... Nah.

Anyway, I'll be following it with interest!

One of these days, when I can save up and afford to leave the country to attend.

I will totally end up at an SoS.

I'd kill to throw-down tunes with Blitz for a proper Sonic rave.

Oh, I always wanted to attend...but since it always coincided with my final exams, I never could D:

This year is different...I have no money this time lol...I'll work hard for next year tongue.png

Fingers crossed that I'll be able to to book the time off work for this, assuming I can get a ticket of course!

Never been to one before (because of work and travel), but in previous years what have people's feelings been regarding carpooling? I'd gladly pay petrol money to get in a car with a stranger, granted they were already passing my area of course! :D

You know I keep forgetting about Sonic Boom. Where does it take place I can never remember.

You know I keep forgetting about Sonic Boom. Where does it take place I can never remember.

First was in Los Angeles, second was in San Diego during Comic Con week. I had a real blast and would love if SEGA held another one.

The first Boom was announced in May and tickets were randomly given out (it was possible to get in as a guest but wasn't guaranteed), whereas the second was announced in February and you had to pay a small fee for a ticket.

Unfortunately, the second sold 800/1000 tickets, so I'm scared they might not hold one; my father's in business and he says that's a rather poor turnout. However, I can only presume SEGA made a profit off it all by the extra enthusiasm for its new titles and the merchandising operations they had there.

So based on the trend, we can expect an announcement of Sonic Boom late this month or sometime next (likely bundled with a game I'm presuming, given Sonic Boom's fully official status), though I'm still anxious...

Part of me wonders what inbox all us American fans would have to spam to make sure SEGA holds one. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

If SoS doesn't clash this year with anything I have (last year I was on holiday in Spain) then I might be able to go again! September would be great, but then it's not really summer anymore. XP

As for location, I personally hope it's in London again. Since I'm travelling from Cornwall, it takes sooo much longer to get to Brighton, even by train.

As for location, I personally hope it's in London again. Since I'm travelling from Cornwall, it takes sooo much longer to get to Brighton, even by train.

From what I remember of the last one's recap, it sounded like the one in Brighton was perfect. It was said the center they held it in looked as if it was made for the event... as I recall the official site said they'd try and go to Brighton again.

Well, at least it's closer to you than me. tongue.png

Really I wish the tickets weren't so darn competitive... I'm not sure how the event is financed, but if it's through ticket sales, I think it should consider upsizing a bit. SoS' tickets sell out faster than San Diego Comic Con's!

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

I have been anticipating this for far too long! I have to go. I've been wanting to for such a long time, it will be my first. I'll probably cry if I can't get a ticket.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just gonna say now guys. There are no clues to the date or location on that site. No really, there isn't. Don't go booking flights or spending money just yet until it gets announced....

Or if you do feel like spending money... please mail it all to Bank of Merch Kitty.

Hopefully Summer of Sonic 2013 will be either June, July or August, but I say possibly mid July or mid August. Anyway I'm hoping to go this year unlike the ticket ninja's last year who got the tickets extremely fast (gotta go fast reference?) and i was disappointed on not going.

Anyway I'm hoping to go this year unlike the ticket ninja's last year who got the tickets extremely fast (gotta go fast reference?) and i was disappointed on not going.

Really to me, this highlights that expanding the size of the event should be considered. I presume the event is financed through renting out a place as a startup cost, and then the cost is covered by selling tickets. So I can see why expansion of the event has been hampered; logically the initial lump sum needs to be acquired first before one can sell the tickets.

Though it is something I'd definitely consider; the quick selling out of tickets indicates a huge demand and limited supply; expansion of supply could thus still be financially viable.

Though this is why it surprises me SoS doesn't have some sort of partnership where one can pay far more than a regular ticket and get a pass that way; the funds could then be used to increase the size of the actual event.

But anyway I'm rambling, and just saddened at how infeasible it would be for me to go. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Cool! This means Boom 13 has a chance of happening..

Afraid to say I'm pretty sure the two events are completely unrelated.  External funding for SB would come from SEGA of America, while SoS gets support from SEGA of Europe, two totally different divisions.  Plus I'm under the impression only SoS is predominantly arranged by fans rather than official SEGA staff.

Afraid to say I'm pretty sure the two events are completely unrelated.  External funding for SB would come from SEGA of America, while SoS gets support from SEGA of Europe, two totally different divisions.  Plus I'm under the impression only SoS is predominantly arranged by fans rather than official SEGA staff.

This is indeed the major difference. Summer of Sonic's a home brewed operation pretty much within the domain of fans, being all bottom up barring some official trimmings. Whereas Sonic Boom's at the whim of the actual corporation and so, while it has more financial backing, has a serious drawback in that they view it as an investment and not something to do for fun.

Which is why I wish there was some address all us Americans could spam so as to let SEGA know we still want another event. Even if they have to shrink it, it would be nice to have.

Though Sonic Boom is dealt a huge blow by the fact American fans are far more dispersed than British fans, who are in a much smaller, crowded area. Never mind per capita Britain prefers Sonic.

Though there is hope for Sonic Boom either way given that SEGA's branches have some involvement in both, but due to the different ways both are structured, I wouldn't count on it.

But we can pray for Sonic Boom at least!

• Thumbs Up 2

I have been anticipating this for far too long! I have to go. I've been wanting to for such a long time, it will be my first. I'll probably cry if I can't get a ticket.

Me too, me tooooooo! As in, I want to go and it would be my first.

Not the crying bit. Honest. :B

September probably would be better for me as that would be less chance of clashing with family stuff, but then it wouldn't be Summer of Sonic, would it?! biggrin.png

Edited by MamboCat

Well Eggman did want to turn it into Winter of Sonic that one time, didn't he?

And since we seem to be having ourselves a Metal Sonic theme here... maybe for once he succeeded. :P

Unfortunately, the second sold 800/1000 tickets

So...of 1,000 people - only 200 didn't show up.

800 people DID show up though.

Which is much more than half.

I'm pretty sure that worked out just fine for them - the more likely reason? They've nothing at this time to promote.