Awoo.

Summer of Sonic 2013

Swiss

But at least give it at least a chance again. Last year was a hassel to get to with the tickets and if I did have one or two, It would be impossible to get there due to it being a long way to go (it's way further than London as I know so far) and I don't want to waste Alot of money just because of a long distance :\

Again this isn't confirmation of anything... but I heard this argument last year and I was really bothered about how much it was gonna cost me to get from Hull/London to Brighton.

Thats how much a train ticket was from London to Brighton. A 40 min journey costing £3.30, and loads of people took advantage of this.

Regardless as to where SOS is gonna be this year, theres always guides and advice as to how to get to it without paying a fortune or spending hours and hours stuck on transport.

• Thumbs Up 1

As long as info/tickets are released at least a month in advance, train travel is zilch to worry about.  Train tickets are stupidly cheap when bought online in advance at least a month before.  

I have to pay a good bit for train tickets to get from glasgow to london anyway, its not going to really change much for me. So hope we hear stuff soon. Though would you enjoy doing buzzbombers again, Hogfather? I hope it returns again.

Brighton was pretty simple, it's just a regular ole town really.  Also, following the main high street down from the station takes you directly to the seafront, which is a pretty good reference point for finding your way around!

Thanks! =) I think getting there two days before SoS (IF it's in Brighton again!) is a good idea. I get to familiarize myself with the town and find the venue where SoS is held, so I know where exactly it will be.

Also, the train journey from Plymouth to London is about 3 hours and a half. An extra hour to Brighton from London...yeah, I suppose it's not too bad. And if tickets really are that cheap if you book early, then I don't mind so much. =P

Just as a quick point of comparison/example, I just checked on National Rail how much a single ticket from Glasgow to London is if you were going in a week or so, and it was around the £60 mark.

Booking a ticket for 2 months from now... around the £30 mark.  So that's the kind of difference you can expect by booking as early as possible.

Just make sure to pay attention to the journey it plans for you and such.  If it offers seat reservations it may mean you MUST get that particular train for the ticket to work.  Other times your tickets may be fairly open and allow you to take whatever train/route you like.

So that's the kind of difference you can expect by booking as early as possible.

I'm positive that since a teaser's up, the actual event will be revealed within a month. So I'm sure for those concerned about time there will at least be two months between the formal announcement and the actual event.

Given SEGA's hand in the event, I think a lot of it is SEGA being just as secretive about social outings as their actual main title. I bet anything SoS and SB alike both are going to have some juicy information on the title, so it makes sense the events are so secretive as it stands.

I mean, let's be honest. Summer of Sonic and Sonic Boom serve as advertisement of SEGA's products as much as a way for the fans to enjoy themselves. They got something special planned for both, I can only assume.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

What is the ticket situation? I've never been before and I REALLY wanna go, and as for car pooling, I live in Shetland, so just about everyone is on the way!

What is the ticket situation? I've never been before and I REALLY wanna go, and as for car pooling, I live in Shetland, so just about everyone is on the way!

Last year, it was first come first served, tickets were free, were released in three (increasingly smaller) waves of the 1000(if I recall?) avaliable.  All three waves sold out in less than a couple of minutes of going live.

This year, zero information has been announced thus far.  But knowing the situation last year, we can expect things to be handled a little differently considering how much of a rush it was and how many people were left gutted by not being fast enough or not even thinking that they would go that fast to begin with.

Last year, it was first come first served, tickets were free, were released in three (increasingly smaller) waves of the 1000(if I recall?) avaliable.  All three waves sold out in less than a couple of minutes of going live.

This year, zero information has been announced thus far.  But knowing the situation last year, we can expect things to be handled a little differently considering how much of a rush it was and how many people were left gutted by not being fast enough or not even thinking that they would go that fast to begin with.

750 tickets were available that year. Even we had no idea the first release would go nearly so quickly; we were expecting half an hour or something.

[13/05/2012 12:31:39] Svend Joscelyne: fuck

[13/05/2012 12:31:44] Svend Joscelyne: Just checked val

[13/05/2012 12:31:51] Svend Joscelyne: have you checked val?

[13/05/2012 12:31:53] Svend Joscelyne: Check val

[13/05/2012 12:31:55] Svend Joscelyne: 100 already

[13/05/2012 12:32:25] Ian Bennett: da fuq

[13/05/2012 12:32:36] Svend Joscelyne: We gon goh in 5 mins at this rate!

[13/05/2012 12:32:50] Svend Joscelyne: WHAT

[13/05/2012 12:32:55] Svend Joscelyne: We can't be all out already!

[13/05/2012 12:32:59] Svend Joscelyne: That's insane!

[13/05/2012 12:40:27] Svend Joscelyne: I mean, did anyone think they'd go in 3 minutes?

[13/05/2012 12:40:35] Ian Bennett: 3 hours, maybe

[13/05/2012 12:40:46] Svend Joscelyne: Look at the response on Twitter and FB

[13/05/2012 12:40:52] Svend Joscelyne: People can't believe it as much as we can't

("100 already" was the number of registrations - during that release we allowed 4 per ticket, and the average was about 2)

• Thumbs Up 7

I am very surprised both my friend and I were able to grab a ticket last year. They went by faster than Sonic. x_x

While I'm still not sure I'd try to go (plus my mother's all protective about me leaving the country anyway; she's of the opinion everywhere outside the United States is some third world warzone), I remember how wonderful Sonic Boom was last year. As such, I'm really hoping that when this event's finalised, it's much larger than last year's, so more of you folks will be able to go. There's nothing quite like disappointment at being deprived of something you wanted!

I'll be expecting the SoS streaming (either from this site, or from Sonic Paradox for video streaming if that's the case), and/or audio streaming (again, either from here or RadioSEGA's stream).

I actually liked that there was that extra bit to show fans who can't make it (particularly overseas) the event floor and such.

That would definitely be nice. I've heard anecdotes of the event from friends but seeing it is always 10x better. So, I'll be hoping there's a stream of at least some of it.

I would like to go this year. ^^ Didn't go last year, due to loads of "should I, shouldn't I" thoughts and missing tickets.

Again, depends on location (Lincolnshire is... Not great for travel... Dx) Single tickets from Boston to London(this is, looking a couple of months ahead), though, are as cheap as £15 if booked in advance! (But, these are the stupid timed ones. Arrival at almost midnight? Yay?) Or around £25 for more normal time, which is much fairer.

My main issue is, however, being new to the rail system. Never used it before (let alone, on my own) and I have this nagging feeling that I'd get lost/take wrong train/miss train etc etc).

Either way, as long as I start saving, so then if I CAN go...

I wanna get over my lack of confidence, my wanting to stay in one location.

Though, best thing to do at the moment is to see what gets announced xD

My main issue is, however, being new to the rail system. Never used it before (let alone, on my own) and I have this nagging feeling that I'd get lost/take wrong train/miss train etc etc).

Just post your worries here and we can help sort you out.

Rail travel really isn't that bad, so long as you get to the station early enough, you can figure out where you're supposed to go.

If you travel first class with East Coast, they bring you whiskey and salmon sandwiches.

Also trains run on rails, so they rarely get lost, which in turn means it's hard to get lost on a train! =D

Wait for the announcement, book your train tickets, and enjoy one of the best days to be had in the year with hundreds of other Sonic fans and potential best buddies.

T

Again, depends on location (Lincolnshire is... Not great for travel... Dx)
Oh I dunno, I manage quite well actually!

Never used it before (let alone, on my own) and I have this nagging feeling that I'd get lost/take wrong train/miss train etc etc).

Do what I did for Sonic Boom: bring a friend along. I'm sure you have at least one who wouldn't mind the social gathering. My bud isn't a massive Sonic geek like me and still loved Sonic Boom. Granted I also needed a way to get there and stay there due to my lack of a car but... it was nice having someone else to go with!

If you travel first class with East Coast, they bring you whiskey and salmon sandwiches.

Also trains run on rails, so they rarely get lost, which in turn means it's hard to get lost on a train! =D

Wait for the announcement, book your train tickets, and enjoy one of the best days to be had in the year with hundreds of other Sonic fans and potential best buddies.

T

xD

Nah, it's more the transfer between trains I'm worried about. And remembering to hop off at the right stop.

Yeah, that's pretty much my idea, wait for announcement, then book tickets. It does sound like it could be a load of fun, and hey, why not?

Oh I dunno, I manage quite well actually!

See, the first train I'd have to catch actually goes across to Grantham(Well, that's the stop I'd need to hop off at) then transfer to one down to London. Just feels a bit awkward to ask "Hey, would you mind me tagging along?" or similar, though. xD

Do what I did for Sonic Boom: bring a friend along. I'm sure you have at least one who wouldn't mind the social gathering. My bud isn't a massive Sonic geek like me and still loved Sonic Boom. Granted I also needed a way to get there and stay there due to my lack of a car but... it was nice having someone else to go with!

Then my problem is finding someone to go with... Could try and get my brother to tag along...

Then my problem is finding someone to go with... Could try and get my brother to tag along...

Really, if you can find anyone who you think would have fun in a massive fan gathering, why not? Even if they play the games casually I'm sure they could enjoy themselves.

Obviously the more one loves Sonic the better the experience will be (my heart still beats faster when I think of Sonic Boom), but hey, I'm sure there's loads of ways one can have some fun. :)

I recommended checking out National Rail's Journey Planner. This can help out figure out the best way to get from the train station near you to the one near where SoS is going to be held. Google Map's public transportation directions also goes a very good job as well. Just get to the train station early enough to catch the train. There should be enough time to catch a connecting train barring any delays.

I'm sure there will be a fair few dozen people on here you could tag along with.

If I get a ticket i'm planning on driving down, i'll pick up anyone along the way assuming there's space and they have a ticket tongue.png If there's enough call for it i'll hire a mini bus biggrin.png, I love driving btw biggrin.png

If I get a ticket i'll start a carpool thread, if I don't i'll cry.

Edited by p_nut_uk

If I get a ticket i'm planning on driving down, i'll pick up anyone along the way assuming there's space and they have a ticket tongue.png If there's enough call for it i'll hire a mini bus biggrin.png, I love driving btw biggrin.png

If I get a ticket i'll start a carpool thread, if I don't i'll cry.

That's awfully considerate of you, sir!

Were I in the UK I'd probably be offering to share my hotel room with folks, as I'm planning on doing for our convention over here. I've got plans to stay with three other people so it'll be crowded but hopefully we can have buckets of fun.

I think if there's lots of carpooling it'll definitely help folks be able to attend either event, certainly.

See, the first train I'd have to catch actually goes across to Grantham(Well, that's the stop I'd need to hop off at) then transfer to one down to London. Just feels a bit awkward to ask "Hey, would you mind me tagging along?" or similar, though. xD

I generally mosey on down on the Friday - in previous years I've gone early to help with set up and other bits and bobs.

I've never been able to go to SoS, but I'll hopefully tune into the livestream and watch some videos on YouTube!