Awoo.

Summer of Sonic 2013

Swiss

So far I've been twice, last year and 2011. Apart from the travel I've loved every moment of it. Last year's venue was brilliant, but it did have its major downfall of reducing the number of people that could attend and enjoy the event. I also did not enjoy the train changes at London. It's not fun getting through quickly to the next train with a giant costume head! I will definitely try and grab a ticket this year. Already working on this year's entry into the cosplay contest, if they have it again.

Already working on this year's entry into the cosplay contest, if they have it again.

I'd see no reason why a cosplay contest would never be included in a fan event, myself; when you think about it there's actually a fairly limited amount of things one can do at such a focused convention, but stuff like costume contests fits in perfectly. Music, trivia contests, cosplay contests, any previews of upcoming titles, other fan projects... there may not be as much as a general convention the likes of Comic Con or E3, but by all means one finds a way to squeeze the most out of it.

I'm still amazed the trip to Brighton actually harms people's ability to attend so much, myself. Though I understand transportation's different in Europe versus the United States; if I hear somewhere's 30 minutes away I just shrug and drive the extra distance. I guess that's not quite as convenient in those parts.

I'm still amazed the trip to Brighton actually harms people's ability to attend so much, myself. Though I understand transportation's different in Europe versus the United States; if I hear somewhere's 30 minutes away I just shrug and drive the extra distance. I guess that's not quite as convenient in those parts.

I can't say much for other parts of the country, but in the south west it can often take 30 minutes driving just to get 30 miles! Thankfully the trains can get you to london from bristol in under 2 hours. But if you need to tackle the london underground, that's when you need to add extra travel time on. If you're getting to Brighton, you can add another hour on from London.

And I appreciate people up north of the country are going to have it worse off. For such a small country it takes a lot to actually get anywhere.

Part of it is perspective, I guess. My cousin from Canada thinks nothing of a three-hour drive, whereas to me its exhausting.

There's also a case of American/Canadian roads mainly being straight lines, and British roads being very twisty/turny.

Yeah, we Brits find hour long drives tedious, yet you Yanks can go on 3-4 hour ones with ease. Like Covsin said, it's a matter of perspective.

Oh, and the roads thing too. When I see YouTube videos, they always drive in straight lines.

There's also a case of American/Canadian roads mainly being straight lines, and British roads being very twisty/turny.
To be honest, I don't mind twisty turny. Keeps me awake behind the wheel :P

I have to say having lived in Prague where transport is really cheap, but has the old school trains split into compartments (think Hogwart's express...) going on British transport feels like a nightmare. It's expensive, overcrowded and prone to delays. Honestly I have no idea why public transport over there is in such a mess.

Anyways, it's not that complicated to navigate should you look in advance.

Well I'd love to come this year! But I'll have to see if the fiancée will let me out of her sight for a day :P

Has anyone noticed summer of sonic's to post of FB?

"…fzk. Bzzt.

>>>> eRrRor... 01011101>>> syST4M rEe(2013)B00t"

and 

">>>LoCAti0n...IDENTifi3d...01001100...*bzzt*"

the binary code seems to say J and L.

I found this interesting since Sega recognizes summer of sonic, what do you think?

http://www.facebook.com/summerofsonic

Edited by Insane121

Good to see they're with SEGA in purposely giving us really obscure clues.

I'm getting "]" and "L" for the binary.

So something that ends with an L, presumably, with a ] at the end.

I wonder if the way the letters are capitalised means anything. RRSTMEB, LCAIDENT. If the l337 is of any importance, we get A, O, O, O, E.

Given that this was all part of the same post, I think it's reasonable to assume we can mix and match these letters, if they are of any import.

So RRSTMEBLCAIDENTAOOOE. While I can get the word "Metal" out of this I'm not getting much else. So as it stands we're pretty much stuck with binary and a bunch of jumbled up letters.

There is definitely METAL SONIC within that code.

You are then left with BETA and "OOERRD".

Can't get anything past that.

EDIT: Cracked it.

"READ: METAL SONIC REBOOT" or something of that variation.

These teasers of binary codes are getting interesting.

Edited by DarkRula

Impressive job, DarkRula! Your anagram fits perfectly!

That just leaves the "L" and "]" from the actual binary code, if it's of any significance.

I suspect those pertain to the actual location, whereas we've pretty much confirmed what's already been speculated about the event ever since that site was updated.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe they are going to have a life sized animated Metal Sonic? Would be cool :P

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmmm, the letter L, eh?

I'd say it means SoS is being held in Hull this year! :B

Edited by MamboCat

I'd say it means SoS is being held in Hull this year! :B

I keep telling you it's going to be at my house... no one listens to me...

• Thumbs Up 3

If SoS doesn't clash this year with anything I have (last year I was on holiday in Spain) then I might be able to go again! September would be great, but then it's not really summer anymore. XP

As for location, I personally hope it's in London again. Since I'm travelling from Cornwall, it takes sooo much longer to get to Brighton, even by train.

I know that feeling - I'm in Devon myself, and getting to London is far easier.

Whether I go this year or not, I don't know.  I'd like to see more "going on" since events seemed rather sparse last year, especially with the unfortunate last-minute cancellation of the art masterclass thing with the Nigels.

Basically, if I get a ticket I do, if I don't, I don't.  Simple as.

I keep telling you it's going to be at my house... no one listens to me...

Barbecued chilli dogs at Hog's house!

About the binary; 93 and 76 eh? I wonder what that could mean.... apart from Sonic CD being released in 1993. Maybe 76 means 7/6 so either the 7th of June or 6th of July? Hmmm....

Whether I go this year or not, I don't know.  I'd like to see more "going on" since events seemed rather sparse last year, especially with the unfortunate last-minute cancellation of the art masterclass thing with the Nigels.

Ahh yeah I remember hearing about that. Personally I would love a masterclass from the Nigels. I mean, I'm not an art student or professional at all but I do love a good doodle and to see the Two Nigels at work would be fantastic!

Edited by MamboCat

I'd LOVE to go, getting to london is far easier by train than Brighton! hoping I can get there this year!

The L hmm...

Liverpool?

I still think London is a good bet, maybe Bristol? (If it is I'm gonna be posses as I moved from there!)

The L hmm...

Liverpool?

I still think London is a good bet, maybe Bristol? (If it is I'm gonna be posses as I moved from there!

Still saying it'll be London. It's much more easier to get at and the all day ticket doesn't cost much for me and someone

Edited by kimplix

Surely it will always be in London. The only reason it wasn't last year was because of the Olympics, right?

Mambo, going this year? Let's make an international effort for everyone to go :V

I'd like to... in fact after seeing the previous ones, this year I'd really like to! Y'know see some folks, possibly behave like a complete nerd and shower the former STC staff and present STCO staff in compliments etc.. but of course it depends on tickets, money and begging my boss for some time off... I'm also worried that being older than a lot of fellow fans might make it weird.

Also as a Brit I guess I wouldn't count as international, but I could always try and confuse people with what Czech I know!! biggrin.png

Edited by MamboCat