Awoo.

Summer of Sonic 2013

Swiss

Here's a small update from the Facebook page. Should be hearing more on the event soon! I'll paste it here for anyone who may not be able to see it/are too lazy to click the link:

That's good news! I was starting to get worried because the later I book, the more prices go up. I'm also waiting to see if SoS is going to clash with some other events I'm hoping to attend during the summer and with said events being far away from where I live and having a no refund policy, I have to wait until I get a ticket for them.

That's good they finally have something.

Given the 720's upcoming unveiling, and the fact SEGA has a hand in the SoS event (hence could put some official demos and stuff there), I wouldn't be surprised if the idea Sega's waiting to unveil any announcements until after Microsoft's reveal is true.

• Thumbs Up 1

I...don't think they have a hand in it, actually.
I didn't think so either... unless this year is different. Anyways Yeeey!

This is gonna be one rockin' summer. ^_^

Really looking forward to it!

AAAAAAAAAAAAA I CAN'T WAIT

I...don't think they have a hand in it, actually. 

It was mentioned SEGA Europe does help out with the event.

Oh, and that they can vet things due to this assistance.

It may be more fan-oriented but ultimately it's just as official an event as Sonic Boom really (given that SEGA Europe can give a "No" to any proposal). Fans just hold the initiative on stuff rather than the company.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't even know this existed since around the end of last year, I definitely won't miss this year's one. Can anybody tell me what to expect there? 

Crush 40 usually performs a concert near the end, and special guests are usually there too (last year there was Takashi Iizuka, Jun Senoue, Johnny Gieoli and Steve Lycett (the Sumo Digital guy).

I think there's usually drawing lessons provided by the Archie artists too, but I could be mistaken.

The website usually fills us in on what's going on anyway. It's all too much to name in one post, really. xD

As a heads up, over on stconline.co.uk , Carl Flint has stated he's planning to attend this year's SoS.

• Thumbs Up 1

I seriously hope this is in July, but it's looking less and less likely... .__. It would be a shame to miss out on SoS a second time in a row.

Sounds like SEGA might have even more involvement than ever and are keeping Dreadknux from announcing anything until they are happy to... OR the SoS team have something big planned that would suck to have to cancel after announcing thus are making sure it's gonna happen before doing so etc.

Sounds like SEGA might have even more involvement than ever and are keeping Dreadknux from announcing anything until they are happy to... OR the SoS team have something big planned that would suck to have to cancel after announcing thus are making sure it's gonna happen before doing so etc.

Really this is just raising my hopes for a dual announcement of events on both sides of the pond. It seems odd that an event that's normally so fan-centric seems more controlled this year... but hey, must be part of that more disciplined public relations they've been showing this past year.

I know SEGA Europe and SEGA America are separate and all, but ultimately they all report to the same guys, so it's not unreasonable to think that if a command came from high up enough both would have to obey it.

Though I am actually really excited to see what Summer of Sonic has overall. Even if I can't attend I get the feeling it's going to be something spectacular if there's been such a large clamp on news.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's hope to some news in june

We know an event for sure is going to happen, if nothing else.

It just seems the strangehold on information goes across EVERYTHING this year.

Just posted on the SoS Facebook page:

We are really sorry for the lack of updates, everyone. We are still waiting for SEGA to sign off on things before we can formally announce more information. We hope that it will not be too much longer! Thank you for your patience.

Really hoping we'll hear something soon. Unfortunately  I'm nearing the cutoff date where I can wait before I have to go ahead with my July holiday plans. If that happens, I'll have to cross my fingers and hope that SoS will not clash with it and be in August instead.

• Thumbs Up 1

So SEGA's stalling up the process. Well, I can at least hope that's the case in America as well; if an event that's primarily fan-driven is being held by the company I can only presume one that's more top-down certainly isn't an exception either.

I wonder if this is just a case of bureaucratic inefficiency (kind of odd it would surface now and never before), or if they actually have a reason they're holding out for so long.

The anticipation is killing me!

Really hoping that it will be announced for sometime around July or the mid-end of August as the beginning of August i'm away on holiday wacko.png

Yeah, it's cutting it really close this year. While I'm sure the event will still be fully booked as always, with how long things are taking I predict a good deal of the Summer regulars might not be able to make it as much given that the time to finalise Summer plans is rapidly approaching. For myself personally I'm getting ready to scrap preparing a vacation around Sonic Boom entirely and just going on a normal one, squeezing SB13 in whenever it pops up.

Hopefully that can be avoided if SEGA would get on its game already.

If it's in August, and I have a bad feeling it will be I definitely won't be able to make it because of holidays. <=/ I don't want to miss this again, especially if this year's con has a playable demo of SLW.

Yeah, I go on holiday too from late July to early August ;~; I reeeeeaaaaaaaally don't want to miss this year, like, seriously.

I'm really sorry to hear that so many people are doubting their ability to go this year. This is the price of really poor information...

Whatever SEGA's doing that's holding up the event, I really hope it's worth the long wait. I'm starting to get very angry myself since this seems to be a company-wide thing affecting both events and not just one.

Sorry for the double post but I figured I'd post this here to see if there's any sort of discussion that could be gained from it.

Looking over the dates we've had, I'm trying to reason what the hold up is... and I'm honestly hoping Sega's planning something rather than just being a bureaucratic mess. At first I thought Hedgehog Day would be our announcement given last year. That didn't happen.

Then I painfully waited the last several months thinking we'd get SOMETHING, but nada barring a teaser here or there.

Then it just occurred to me. Sonic's birthday is in ten days. Now that E3's wrapped up and the reasonable time to prepare of about two months for a Summer event is rapidly approaching, perhaps they will time their announcement of Summer of Sonic and Sonic Boom to be in line with that? It does seem really weird they're giving Sonic a birthday party in Japan, where no one cares about him, yet are tormenting their fans in the US and Europe with these delays; while the divisions are separate, it does seem odd that both sides of the pond are so quiet on the issue.

To ensure maximum attendance of a mostly-young fanbase it'd be advisable to hold it in August at the latest (to my knowledge the UK has a fair Summer break as well). Given that SEGA America showed courtesy to the fans with advance warning, and that Summer of Sonic is mostly fan-administrated, I'm certain both events would consider the needs of the attendees' schedules. Ergo a two month or so warning would be likely. That in mind, the window to hold the event before the resumption of the school year is rapidly closing; on Sonic's birthday there will only be about two months and a week or two before school resumes for most British and American students.

This is of course assuming they're aiming for a Summer date that doesn't overlap with the school year. Most of August is freed up if they don't care about the school year, and there's always that slim chance it will be in September in honor of Metal Sonic... though if the reactions here are anything to go by, no one really wants it to be in September. And since Summer of Sonic has the fanbase at its heart, I'm predicting that will keep it from occurring then.

If anyone here knows the usual gap between Summer of Sonic's announcement and the actual date, it'd be appreciated! It'd definitely help with creating more accurate theories and the like.