Awoo.

Yoshi's New Island (3DS)

Detective Shadzter

Yoshi's Island 3DS announced, first screenshots

Third game in Yoshi's platform series coming to 3DS

Posted by Thomas East on 17th Apr 2013 at 14:16

image_54566.jpg

Nintendo announced a new Yoshi's Island 3DS game during Nintendo Direct. While a release date has yet to be announced, fans of the SNES original will be delighted to see Yoshi return with Baby Mario on his back.

Yoshi's Island 3DS is the third game in the series after the SNES original and Yoshi's Island DS. Yoshi will also star on Wii U in Yoshi's Yarn.

With Baby Mario on his back, Yoshi can perform his flutter jump, ground pound and egg draw, but there are also new actions.which utilise the 3DS console's features which, according to Iwata will make the game feel new and fresh.

Are you looking forward to Yoshi's Island 3DS?

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/48715/yoshis-island-3ds-announced-first-screenshots/

Gameplay footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMUHXPQ8g30

I've never got around to playing either of the previous games, but I've always wanted to play them. I have the GBA version of the first one as a 3DS Ambassador game, so I'll have to give it a try sometime. Anyway, while this looked odd at first compared to the previous two games visually, I think it looks well suited to the 3DS. If it's anything like the new Zelda game's 3D trailer, I think it'll probably look better on the 3DS itself. I look forward to seeing more in the future. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I think it looks OK. Some objects look oddly placed in the world. It's really noticeable in the screen you posted. The video looked a bit better.

New Super Yoshi Bros., I mean, Yoshi's Island 3DS, looks like utter ass (you took the words right out of my mouth before I even saw your post Soniko lmao). You can see joins on the tiles everywhere and the textures are muddy. Some pre-rendered sprites have awful sort-of-outlines and some don't. How did they manage pre-rendered graphics that look perfect on the N64, then fuck them up this bad on the 3DS? I really hope this is just due to it being a WIP. I'll wait for reviews for this one, since Yoshi's Island isn't a favourite of mine and Yoshi's Island DS was utterly forgettable.

In addition to my thoughts above (from the Direct topic), I forgot to add that is it just me or does Yoshi looks COMPLETELY soulless?  He has this completely absent, forward-facing stare the entire time (sans flutter-jump), and his movements are so bare-minimum animation and characterless.

Even NSMBU had more characterful animation than this, and frankly since Luigi's Mansion 2 I feel that should be the standard of animation every Nintendo game should strive for.

• Thumbs Up 5

Looks fine I guess, doesn't really seem to be anything interesting than what the previous games did.

In addition to my thoughts above (from the Direct topic), I forgot to add that is it just me or does Yoshi looks COMPLETELY soulless?  He has this completely absent, forward-facing stare the entire time (sans flutter-jump), and his movements are so bare-minimum animation and characterless.

Even NSMBU had more characterful animation than this, and frankly since Luigi's Mansion 2 I feel that should be the standard of animation every Nintendo game should strive for.

I have to say, this really does not look visually appealing at all. Ugly, ugly prerenders and soulless characters. The whole point of the art style originally was to look like crayon drawings. Doesn't that inherently lend itself better to 2D art than 3D? All the innocence and charm of the first two games is gone. I'd guess that they went with 3D because it's easier for them to produce for nowadays. A real shame, that.

Gameplay looks lush though. And I can't fault the music either.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 8

Looks cute.  Will play if I ever get a 3DS.

It doesn't look substantial, don't get me wrong, but it looks all right.  In fairness, nostalgia really may be the only reason I have such a tolerance for the original anyway.  Oh and the soundtrack was good in the first.  If I remember right, YIDS had a bafflingly poor score, and the theme in this video, while cute, isn't that much better.

Edited by Akito

I feel it is a little lacking and odd looking at first glance, but I watched through the footage a few more times, and it started looking more interesting, wondering if they can re-create the same feeling that the first one carried and what cool things that will be introduced.

I may be a little biased since I loved the original Yoshi's Island, and I never played the other games where character sound, new design etc. were introduced.

Yoshi's Island is one of my all time favourite games, however the DS sequel was, like JezMM said, completely and utterly forgettable despite the gameplay being more of the same.

I'll remain cautiously optimistic about this one I think, I want new Yoshi but I don't want an expansion of Yoshi's Island, not a reprint of it.

I'm curious, is Nintendo actually developing this one or what? YIDS was outsourced to Artoon, a company founded by Naoto Oshima of Sonic fame. It's odd to think he ending up being producer on a number of Mario games. But yeah, I'd blame them for YIDS being sub-par.

I don't think the style is as bad as all that, but it's entirely possible that this footage is unfinished enough, and the game in an early enough stage, that it will have improved considerably to those who dislike it by the time it comes out.  They didn't provide a release date for this one, right?  Well then.

What would be a shame, though, would be if they literally just expected "Yoshi's Island in 3D" to carry it, as appears to be the case with those very familiar graphics.  But with the giant egg displayed, I think there's reason to hope for new mechanics, at least.  Just so long as there are new world designs as well.

Original was crayon/pastely looking drawings. This one goes for a more painterly vibe. I can dig it. Backgrounds look fucking beautiful to me. Mario and Yoshi look like the models from the original Yoshi's Island intro, I can dig it.

Never played DS, but looks like a lot of what I love about the original is there, so yeah, HYPE.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think if they insist on making it 3D, they should have gone from crayons to a claymation style. Just thinking about how much better that could have looked is making me sad.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly don't get the hate for the style (especially people that are willing to write off the whole game from a 30 second video clip), it may not be as cool as the original Yoshi's Island, but it still has it's charm.

Aren't people happy Nintendo is at least trying something different? Honestly it seems like they're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly don't get the hate for the style (especially people that are willing to write off the whole game from a 30 second video clip), it may not be as cool as the original Yoshi's Island, but it still has it's charm.

Aren't people happy Nintendo is at least trying something different? Honestly it seems like they're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Damn straight. Everything sucks. Everything!

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think people should have to add "these are just my thoughts judging by the trailer of course, who knows how the final game will be" to every post.  No-one has written off the game completely from a 30 second video clip.

• Thumbs Up 4

Looks ugly as sin. Considering the original Yoshi's Island was known for pushing the SNES's visuals to its limits to produce an unimaginably gorgeous 2D game, this is just the complete opposite.

Even Yoshi's Story looks better than this, and that game looked amazing on the N64.

• Thumbs Up 6

The music sounds cute, the gameplay looks fine but... everything looks so... what was the word used before? Soulless? Yeah, that word!

• Thumbs Up 3

This game looks like ass, generic renders, clunky animations and the life and soul sucked straight out of it, replacing the vibrant bright crayon coloured worlds with muddy dull shit.

Count me out of this sequel, I'll stick to Yoshi's Island on my SNES.

• Thumbs Up 3

I agree with Soniko, this game looks souless and deprived of all life. I hate this game, and I hate how Nintendo keeps making everything in 3D now. I'll stick to the original.

• Thumbs Up 1

The game could still be super fun for all we know. Though I'm more interested in that Yoshi Wii game since it looks to be channeling Yoshi's Story.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, Yoshi's Epic Yarn looks a million times better than this garbage.  I'll stick with that unless this gets a 2-D overhaul.

I really don't get the "soulless" complaint. The Yoshi animations maybe, but those'll probably be improved by the time it launches (and if they don't, feel free to quote this post and laugh at me). The backgrounds and shit look like good old Yoshi fun, just more painty and dimensional. A different take but I really don't think it amounts to having no soul.

I won't say "soulless" because it's a snooty-sounding, artsy complaint, but I'll go ahead and say "ugly as all fucking hell" because that's what it is.

No offense intended of course, my dear Chili.

The only off chance I'd get this is if they do 2 visual modes to play it in the Crayon style, kinda like most remastered arcade games do offer the original experience, and the new remastered graphics version.

Otherwise no sale, I'm not going to sit and play a game no matter how good it is if its lost it's visual appeal from the originals.

Not to be an asshole, but are you guys seriously NOT gonna buy this because the graphics are funky? I mean, really? The graphics aren't great but they look decent enough to not be a literal eye-sore. I do agree that they need to upgrade the graphics before it's released.

I can't believe they announced this though. I never expected 2 new freaking Yoshi games to be shown off in the same year. I definitely can't wait for this game. I've needed this for so many years!

• Thumbs Up 8