Awoo.

Yoshi's New Island (3DS)

Detective Shadzter

I find the music to be annoying. especially the yoshi part.

I still don't know why they haven't fired that composer yet. He's easily the worst part of the Artoon/whatever they're calling themselves now games.

• Thumbs Up 3

So I was watching NintendoEverything's round-up of new Yoshi's New Island footage from the official website.

Things I noticed:

• When you hit the bat boss with an egg, its bat minions instantly vanish.  There's no animation or anything, they just stop existing.  I don't think I'm nitpicking to say that presentationally that's a bit lazy.
  • That grey and drab background in what is presumably the jungle world makes the whole level look unspeakably bland.  I think that's meant to be watercolour world, and it doesn't do watercolours any favours.  Even the foreground doesn't have much colour.  The poverty of the presentation is heightened if you look at Kirby Triple Deluxe screenshots beforehand.
  • Check out the gyro use on the Bobsled and Minecart transformations.  Oh, that's right, they don't have any gyro use.  Artoon isn't even sticking to its own tacked-on gyro gimmick.  What's the betting, also, that Minecart is literally just a reskinned Bobsled.
  • Looks like transformations now happen only in special closed-off rooms rather than being part of the wider environment.  Strictly speaking that was always true of the (non-transformational) ski levels, but everything else, helicopter and mole and what have you, was integrated into a wider area of the map.  This implies that level design is now a lot more partitioned than it used to be.
  • On the other hand, I do like the way the Metal Eggdozer rolls around, even if it's just an automated Chomp Rock.  So that's like half a good idea, at least!

<p>So I was watching NintendoEverything's round-up of new Yoshi's New Island footage from the official website.http://youtu.be/HDHe9dZ_UNIThings I noticed:

• When you hit the bat boss with an egg, its bat minions instantly vanish. There's no animation or anything, they just stop existing. I don't think I'm nitpicking to say that presentationally that's a bit lazy.
  • That grey and drab background in what is presumably the jungle world makes the whole level look unspeakably bland. I think that's meant to be watercolour world, and it doesn't do watercolours any favours. Even the foreground doesn't have much colour. The poverty of the presentation is heightened if you look at Kirby Triple Deluxe screenshots beforehand.
  • Check out the gyro use on the Bobsled and Minecart transformations. Oh, that's right, they don't have any gyro use. Artoon isn't even sticking to its own tacked-on gyro gimmick. What's the betting, also, that Minecart is literally just a reskinned Bobsled.
  • Looks like transformations now happen only in special closed-off rooms rather than being part of the wider environment. Strictly speaking that was always true of the (non-transformational) ski levels, but everything else, helicopter and mole and what have you, was integrated into a wider area of the map. This implies that level design is now a lot more partitioned than it used to be.
  • On the other hand, I do like the way the Metal Eggdozer rolls around, even if it's just an automated Chomp Rock. So that's like half a good idea, at least!

I will give that benefit to the helicopter and submarine. But in the original the mole and train were restricted to as room or small portion of a level

It's hard to tell from the footage so far, but it looks like the way YNI works, you enter a room, immediately transform, and then when you reach the end of the room... ???  What I'm suggesting is that in YNI you will never be playing as regular Yoshi in a room that has a transformation, and never be playing as a transformation in a room in which you can be regular Yoshi.  It's like a minigame.  That's what the footage seems to imply at around the 2:00 mark - there's a magical-looking doorway with a jackhammer above it, Yoshi walks through, immediately we get the transformation cutscene.  So it's different to previous games where maybe sometimes transformations were in a bonus room but you were still Yoshi bouncing and jumping about until and after you grabbed the transformation bubble.

Actually, that footage is quite interesting.  It shows that the Minecart is not only gyro-controlled, it actually has free movement, neither of which I believed to be the case.  Of course, with that it raises the question of why exactly you need to be a minecart in that sequence at all; there's nothing in it which wouldn't be perfectly playable as standard Yoshi...

Having looked at some other footage, combined with that, then while the criticism that all the music is all just different versions of the main theme still stands, I've noticed that there are these few moments with distinctly retro tunes, like the Minecart music in the above video.  A lot of the music, though, for want of a better phrase sounds like "baby's first Yoshi's Island game."  They're running with the baby theme and forgetting that the real main character of the game is Yoshi, not the useless shrimp on his back.  And it does feel a little patronising.

It's kind of annoying.  My opinion of this game keeps on changing.  Earlier I was wondering whether I should even buy it at all, yet now I look at it again and think "You know, that actually looks really good."  But then again, I was never one of those who had a beef with the graphics at all, so...  But in general it's like for every bad thing I can find about the game I later learn something good... and also vice-versa.

I'm really looking forward to the reviews for this thing.  At this point it's easy to know a lot of the early game inside-out, but nobody yet has any impressions of the game as a full package.

Having looked at some other footage, combined with that, then while the criticism that all the music is all just different versions of the main theme still stands, I've noticed that there are these few moments with distinctly retro tunes, like the Minecart music in the above video.  A lot of the music, though, for want of a better phrase sounds like "baby's first Yoshi's Island game."  They're running with the baby theme and forgetting that the real main character of the game is Yoshi, not the useless shrimp on his back.  And it does feel a little patronising.

"...baby theme..." You talking about the music, or the fact that baby Mario is still there?

"...baby theme..." You talking about the music, or the fact that baby Mario is still there?

The latter.  It's a game in which one of the main gameplay and narrative devices is that Yoshi's carting around a baby on his back, and the aesthetic, the art and music and presentatation, has always built on that, but I think it goes too far this time.

I liked that game as a child but playing it now its way to short. There is like five worlds but you only play like two levels in each world and the most difficult levels in a world would only randomly be chosen as one of the two levels once in a blue moon. I dont recall the final battlw too mich but I remember the happy tree being there to gove u a health boost.

You're misremembering a little.

There are 6 worlds with 4 levels each, and you play one level from each world per playthrough.  You choose which level you play on each world, but the number avaliable depends on how many giant hearts you collected on the previous world, one heart = one additional choice (so collect all three and you can choose from all four levels on the next world - collect none and you are forced to play level 1 on the next world).  Indeed the final boss was pretty easy due to health refills constantly being avaliable (though the higher the level number in the final world, the tougher the last boss was - the fruit regrows less times and there's way more ghosts blocking your egg throws).

The game is very easy to finish to the credits, but there's a decent bit of challenge from visiting and clearing all 24 levels, and then for the truly insane you can attempt to collect melons only on each level in the score mode (where you can play any level you've visited at will (there are EXACTLY 30 melons on each level and some are crazy well-hidden or only give one shot per playthrough to collect).

Personally, I really don't care for the Baby Mario health system in Yoshi's Island, though that is probably mainly bias since I played Yoshi's Story first and am nostalgically attached to it as such.  I'm hoping Yarn Yoshi will be more a successor to Story than Island (though I'm fine with them doing away with the fruit-eating system to clear levels).

• Thumbs Up 3

I've only skimmed the videos but some of the music doesn't sound bad after all.  I guess this'll be like Yoshi's Island DS' Wildlands where you suddenly discover "hey this song is actually pretty good when you change the pace of it".

I'm really liking the crayon-ish art style this game is going for, it looks nice.

The more artwork I see the more annoyed I am that they went with fugly pre-rendered CG sprites.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm really liking the crayon-ish art style this game is going for, it looks nice.

In the artwork...the games were, atleast the original game had a crayon-ish art style in the environments.

The popular crayon artstyle of the official art and of the original game is why I want a Paper Yoshi.

GameXplain have done a big Q&A about their impressions of the game so far (up to about World 3):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mmgtFLQJrk

In some ways it reassures that the game will at least stay true to the core Yoshi's Island gameplay, but at the same time it still doesn't fill me with any excitement or confidence that this is going to be anything truly special.

Nothing matters about this game now. They brought Poochy back. I missed the little guy.

Video of all 6 transformations in the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrbucQ2BS2I

They look... bleh. Nothing special whatsoever.

I think I'd just groan whenever I came to one of those parts in the game.

That looks boring as fuck.

That movement is so janky

that music is so awful and repetitive

that level design is so boring

those forms are so lame.

Ugh, I can't even find one good thing to say about this borefest.

• Thumbs Up 8

New Super freakin' Mario Bros. 2 didn't gameplay look this boring, and at least the gold powerups didn't slow your game down to a crawl like these powerups do. New Yoshi's Island feels more like a Sonic 4/Dimps-style rendition of the original game more than anything else. Even the logo of the title itself is cheap. I mean they just slapped the word "New" on top of the original "Yoshi's Island" logo!

I'm genuinely interested to see how reviews turn out for this game.

I don't think I'll mind the transformation that much since its short, but it still looks super annoying to control.

Anyone for sure buying this at launch?