Awoo.

Yoshi's New Island (3DS)

Detective Shadzter

I wonder what happens if you run out of time before you reach the goal.

Booted back out of the transformation room, presumably.  That's roughly analogous to what would've happened in the previous games, after all.  Only this time, you lose everything you collected while in the transformation room!  Maybe even a life, judging from how they were handing them out in that hot-air balloon section!

Speaking of that hot-air balloon section, hahaha, those speed boosters.  It really is Sonic 4!

Anyone for sure buying this at launch?

I'm kind of ashamed of the fact that I am, but what can I do?  I need a substantial new game to play, and there's nothing else.

Yep, unless the endgame really turns things around, I think this one might just review badly enough to damage the Yoshi's Island brand.  I honestly wonder how Tezuka and Nintendo let it get like this - but they do like their bland iterative sequels.  It's especially embarrassing given that Nintendo's advertising the heck out of it.  Or maybe that's why they're promoting it so heavily?

I don't think I'll mind the transformation that much since its short, but it still looks super annoying to control.

I'm buying this at launch but I will be using a discount and gift certificates so final price I will pay is like 5 dollars.

I will say that other than fighting kamek the other bosses look boring. And even fighting kamek is forgiving it a bit since I enjoy fighting him. Oher than that I've liked a good portion of what I've seen.

Ugh, I can't even find one good thing to say about this borefest.

Maybe... the fact that you are not alone in this sentiment?

Sadly, I agree with everything. The new mechanics are interesting, but everything looks really, really slow, boring and uninteresting.

I guess I'll just watch a let's play on youtube out of curiosity.

Wait, actually there's something good I found. The noise Yoshi makes with the Flutter Wings is freaking adorable

wub.png

Why do they feel the need to rehash the same track for every stage? The tune itself really isn't that good to begin with.

Anyways, this game looks like a "pass" to me.

The only thing that bothers me about this game so far is how hit and miss the soundtrack is. I actually find quite a bit of the songs to be catchy -- more than Yoshi Island DS, definitely -- though the ones that aren't are just... *sigh* groan-worthy. (That song that plays when the Yoshi's meet Baby Mario grinds on my nerves until the drums kick in... sounds like someone playing the kazoo while dying.)

Otherwise, I like what I see with the new additions, artstyle and gameplay. It might not be very flashy, but it still looks like a sequel to Yoshi's Island with more variety, and that is definitely keeping me interested in checking it out. My main concern with the title from the beginning has always been with the variety in level design, which from the previews I've seen and read, seem to be intact just as well as the SNES Yoshi's Island title, and doesn't seem copy-and-pasted in at all. Also, From that GameXplain Q&A, it sounds like the game kept the since of exploration, which is even better and I hope to be true.

As for the transformations. I like the look of the sled, sub and minecart, but the other three seem so-so. I'm also really anxious to try the Super Yoshi transformation, hoping it's utilized better than I expect. I really hope they let you cut loose with it and have moment where can really wreck shit up. And be it as it may, they don't seem to last all that long. So even if I find some of them so-so, I might still welcome them as a way to break the platforming up a bit.

I don't think I'll mind the transformation that much since its short, but it still looks super annoying to control.

As long as I have the cash to pay-off the rest of my pre-order, I am without question. Whether opinions on this game are positive or negative. It's definitely a game I feel that I should try for myself just to see how good it is. And right now, I don't think I have much to worry about.

Nothing matters about this game now. They brought Poochy back. I missed the little guy.

Well of course.  Is there anything they didn't bring back?

• Thumbs Up 5

Multiple Babies...

I was talking about the first game and also generalising (that is to say, I wasn't legitimately asking but just stating that nearly everything I've seen uses stuff from the first game in but in new level designs).

In a way, I had that assumption that you were doing that. I just wanted to say it any way.

One thing I wonder if they'll bring back... TOUCH FUZZY GET DIZZY

If drugged-up trippy Yoshi returns then I might be willing to overlook some of the other problems :P

• Thumbs Up 4

I for some reason loved off that level, sometimes I would just put my controller down and let it play. I remember the music was very satisfying to me.

Well of course.  Is there anything they didn't bring back?

The fun.
  • Thumbs Up 9

The fun.

SHOTS FIREEEED

I'm gonna give this one a rent; I'm skeptical enough to not throw my money at it immediately at release like I usually do.

What I'm really curious is how the game will sell. If it performs well, then it'll encourage them to put out more titles like this. =(

What I'm really curious is how the game will sell. If it performs well, then it'll encourage them to put out more titles like this. =(

That really hasnt stop sonic team but then again that is for another topic. They have been listening though since the multiple babies didnt return

To each their own cuz I see fun in here

But don't take that comment even slightly seriously. It's just a joke.

I went to the movies today and for some reason, one of the tv's kept playing the TV commercial of this game, and only that game. The commercial must be up in YouTube somewhere.

That really hasnt stop sonic team but then again that is for another topic. They have been listening though since the multiple babies didnt return

What exactly was wrong with multiple babies anyway? I haven't played the game myself but it seems like they would've added a whole lot more variety to the formula.

What exactly was wrong with multiple babies anyway? I haven't played the game myself but it seems like they would've added a whole lot more variety to the formula.

I think it was the whole tediousness of cycling through the babies for a certain area of the stage.

Granted I would love to see multiple babies again, including baby Daisy and baby Waluigi.

But we all know that Waluigi was sprouted from the forehead of a god as an adult.

Honestly they were fine, kind of by the numbers platforming gimmicks where it's rarely a puzzle to figure out which one to use (i.e. they might as well have just been redressed as stage gimmicks for Yoshi to interact with himself), with the exception of Wario who was more an aid to collecting stuff than provided abilities, if I recall.

But anyway, despite being uninspired they were at least new.  But they were so mundanely handled that they didn't leave an impression or improve already fairly uninspired level design.

I liked the multiple babies.  Whatever problems there were with the execution, at least they were a significant new addition, a new idea.  Yoshi's New Island has nothing so ambitious.

It would have added more variety, but the game relied too much on the babies abilities instead of actually designing to levels to utilize their skills in a better fashion. Once you use a baby for it's first two levels, that's all there was to them and they just overstayed their welcome, often taking up a good chunk of the levels. And whenever they weren't being used the levels themselves just felt samey. Like you been there before many times over.

Anyway, with how mediocre Yoshi's Island DS was, I wouldn't mind if they gave the multiple babies mechanic another shot in another game as long as they use them better. Also, I would actually appreciate it if they brought the kangaroo and the running sections back. I definitely remembered enjoying those from the game.

I want a Yoshi game without babies, period. I can't stand Baby Mario that piece of shit. Hey, they did it once before, they can do it again.

• Thumbs Up 7

They are doing it again.  It's called Yarn Yoshi.  (Tentatively, anyway.  I'm hoping for a more interesting title when it's fully revealed.)

I don't think Yoshi's Island without a baby is going to happen.  There are certain characteristics that make a "Yoshi's Island" game as opposed to more simply a "Yoshi" game.  But if they ever make a new one after Yoshi's New Island, they'll have to put a lot of thought into reinventing it as a more inventive, ambitious game which exceeds its predecessors.