Awoo.

Yoshi's New Island (3DS)

Detective Shadzter

I think they can make one. Take out the fucking babies, and replace it with the Yoshi Story health meter. SHABAM

It's not like Baby Mario really contributes to the gameplay other than being a fucking burden to worry about. A game just like Yoshi's Island would be a really pleasant experience akin to Kirby if it weren't for that factor. As it stands, I find Yoshi's Island to be a pretty good game but ultimately a stressful one that counterbalances the rest of the game's nature a little too well.

If it hasn't already been made clear, I just fucking despise babies

• Thumbs Up 2

I take the point.  I have to confess that I don't recall ever having fun trying to get 100% in a level.  I like the exploring, but those moments where you have thirty stars and know that there aren't any more stars left in the level and you get hit by some trivial enemy are... not the game's highlight.  (Though that said, Kirby Mass Attack had moments like that as well.)  And come to think of it, now that YNI has replaced Super Baby Mario with Super Yoshi, Mario's even more useless.

I think an actually ambitious new Yoshi's Island game would have the guts to rework the health and collectable system anyway, though.  I could live with Wario-Land-style invulnerability, or losing Baby Mario just rendering you unable to use any abilities that you would normally be using to progress or to defeat a boss, for instance...

I... actually like Baby Mario. The mechanic got me attached to a character in a platformer whose word count hardly pushes thirty. A worthy experiment, if I might say so. It really showed me, in my young age, that games were capable of having compelling story elements without necessarily writing a Hollywood script or making an RPG, something that would be far better elaborated upon in games like ICO or Half-Life.

...I just don't see it worth doing over again though, honestly. For me, it'd be just a little like if Team ICO just made a sequel to that game: even if it hypothetically polishes up the gameplay, there's no way it can capture the magic of the original again. Indeed, in many ways a sequel in that fashion might just cheapen what good the original did. Let Baby Mario's story end with Yoshi's Island 1, and think up a new, even better way to invest the player.

Also, screw you Sean, babies are awesome >:Y

• Thumbs Up 1

"Only Yoshi can hurl eggs"

GreenGlove.PNG

hahaha, well you can blame the kid though he wasn't even born when original game came out. ( I'm kidding though. The writers for this commercial need to learn the product before hand)

Saying Mega Eggdozers would have been better.

Oh god I misheard the last sentence as "only Yoshi can transform in her legs" at first :o

Anyway, the advert itself was pretty good, but it's a sad situation where I'd rather be watching the advert than the actual gameplay footage they showed off. Cutting from those awesome CG models of helicopter Yoshi, bobsleigh Yoshi and the Mega Eggdozer to the crappy visuals on the 3DS screen really just emphasise how poor this game's art direction is. I wish they'd just scrapped the whole "it must look like a storybook/painting!" schtick and did it as a more modern, generic platformer in the design department, because they sure as hell haven't pulled it off convincingly here.

I wish they'd just scrapped the whole "it must look like a storybook/painting!" schtick and did it as a more modern, generic platformer in the design department, because they sure as hell haven't pulled it off convincingly here.

The problem isn't the storybook/painting artstyle approach, it's how they pulled it off. Quite a few of the previous comments (as well as the people who liked them in agreement) say the 2D crayon-style artwork for the game looks miles better than the actual game's graphics/artstyle, which looks like they took the crayon style and (poorly) filtered it through pre-rendered 3D models.

That and I wouldn't really wish for a Yoshi game (or most/any game(s), really) to have a generic artstyle when it could just take what works (the aforementioned crayon artstyle) and either re-produce it in today's graphics (I assume that's what you meant by the "modern" description) or put a different spin on it (though as I previously mentioned, YNI is an example of doing this poorly).

The problem isn't the storybook/painting artstyle approach, it's how they pulled it off. Quite a few of the previous comments (as well as the people who liked them in agreement) say the 2D crayon-style artwork for the game looks miles better than the actual game's graphics/artstyle, which looks like they took the crayon style and (poorly) filtered it through pre-rendered 3D models.

That and I wouldn't really wish for a Yoshi game (or most/any game(s), really) to have a generic artstyle when it could just take what works (the aforementioned crayon artstyle) and either re-produce it in today's graphics (I assume that's what you meant by the "modern" description) or put a different spin on it (though as I previously mentioned, YNI is an example of doing this poorly).

Oh yeah I didn't mean they should have scrapped the storybook art style completely, I just meant if it's a straight up choice between something that looks like a New Super Yoshi Bros. U or... whatever the hell Yoshi's New Island is meant to be, I'd pick the former any day.

Though if it were a choice between a generic approach and the lovely designs seen in the artwork or even something more akin to the original title, I'd definitely want them to keep the Yoshi vibe intact and use the storybook theme. It's just a crying shame they've botched the opportunity to make something truly special this time.

I feel like Yoshi's New Island is meant to resemble claymation, but they didn't really commit to it, in the same way they didn't really commit to the whole "each world is a different art style" gimmick - it just extends to some backgrounds that still look kinda samey.  They should have been willing to be braver and bolder about it.

They were definitely going for a hand-drawn aesthetic all-around. And honestly, I think the art style looks fine, even better on the 3DS. Wouldn't mind if the character models looked more like the official art, and I can understand how some would see it less appealing that the DS or original artstyle, but I don't see how it looks bad or even awful.

I'll pass, thanks.  I do not need the game to feel like even more of a samey retread when I play it.

While the game admittedly doesn't look outright horrible, it certainly looks... well, extremely bland and boring, to put it simply. Pretty much nothing in that video excited me, and I'm still not sold on any of the new gameplay mechanics or the art style.

Sorry Yoshi, this is one island I won't be visiting.

I can't get over how awful the music is in this game, the possible one redeeming factor they could of salvaged, is turned into a lacklustre, samey bop track with absolutely HORRENDOUS underground theme.

Jesus fucking christ this awful...

I forgot this game existed honestly. So....does anyone plan on getting this...just to at least see how good or bad it is.

Levels looked pretty alright to me (or at least the first 3, im not watching the whole thing with how slow this guys going) and yeah the music isn't anything to really praise but it sounded alright to me (fits the theme of the game pretty well too).

I forgot this game existed honestly. So....does anyone plan on getting this...just to at least see how good or bad it is.

The reviews are due out in a couple of days, that'll give us a good enough indication I'm sure. And if it somehow manages to get 9s and 10s across the board, maybe we can go out and give it a try :P personally I'm predicting 6s and 7s for the most part, a few 8s for the generous reviewers perhaps.

Meh, I dunno. It looked sorta interesting at first but the more I see of it the less appealing it looks. I'll pass. Never been keen on Yoshi games anyway. =P

The 2D art on the other hand looks flippin' gorgeous. If only the in-game models looked like that instead of crappy Yoshi's Story sprites!

• Thumbs Up 1

Meh, I dunno. It looked sorta interesting at first but the more I see of it the less appealing it looks. I'll pass. Never been keen on Yoshi games anyway. =P

The 2D art on the other hand looks flippin' gorgeous. If only the in-game models looked like that instead of crappy Yoshi's Story sprites!

Yoshi story's models looks better than this game's...

• Thumbs Up 2

I think I'm more excited for the reviews than the game at this point.  Well, maybe not, but an opinion from someone who's played the entire game, not just the first few worlds and the same scenes we've seen over and over again, is going to be the newest thing we'll have seen from this game in a while.  Incidentally, while I will be getting the game shortly after the release date, I won't be playing it until about a week later or posting my opinions here 'til a week after that, because I'm saving it for a week-long holiday I'll be going on soon.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm getting a vibe that every miniboss (that is, every mid-world castle boss) is Kamek.  Because we've seen in a few trailers a boss battle which involves ground-pounding pillars to project him into the ceiling, but I've heard of another Kamek boss battle which involves hitting buckets with eggs to drop them onto his head...

Also also, I keep on seeing clips and trailers where stuff just appears or disappears on screen without any kind of masking or transition effect.  Like the bats in the Count Fang boss battle, or doors that show up out of ?-clouds.  I think there may have been a lack of care in how this game was crafted.  Big surprise, huh?

Ugh, skimming through that first world video yeah what a load of dross.  The outdoors theme on World 1-3 was alright, if it gets a remix in Smash Bros that oomphs it up like Wildlands from Yoshi's Island DS did then there's potential yeah but... god that title screen music and bonus room music.  Who the hell okay'd these songs?  They're completely out of touch and overly immature compared to past games.  Comparable to the average soundtrack of a pre-school show.

The castle and boss themes are ridiculously lacklustre too.  And yeah, the general level design is more "mission pack sequel" than any of the NSMB games.  Even NSMB2 had more new concepts in the first world than this does, and while a lot of people didn't care for NSMB2's main gimmick, at least it was integrated into how the whole game played, rather than just specific puzzles and sections.