Awoo.

Yoshi's New Island (3DS)

Detective Shadzter

So apparently this game has multiplayer? Only local wireless, but still, can't say I knew about that. Not that it really matters though, because it looks like complete and utter tripe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwtyAJYl4YM

And I know it's been said time and time again... but that music. Ugggggggh.

Runthrough of World 2 for anyone willing to sit through a (presumably bland and uninteresting) hour of gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XQv4ro4V8U

New Super Mario Bros. developers, to be precise.  (To be even more precise, 2, Wii, U, and Luigi U - but not the original NSMB, apparently?)

Reaction to this news across the Internet has been unanimous:

SURPRISE, SURPRISE.

Probably wont get it at launch but ill try it out whenever I feel like getting it.

The main theme is kinda growing on me......but JUST the main theme.

Probably wont get it at launch but ill try it out whenever I feel like getting it.

The main theme is kinda growing on me......but JUST the main theme.

You mean the only theme of the game

• Thumbs Up 2

And I know it's been said time and time again... but that music. Ugggggggh.

It reminds me of the music of Crazy Bus' title screen. No, really.

And it's a shame because in this very game (Yoshi's New Island, not Crazy Bus) Yoshi CAN make adorable noises:

It reminds me of the music of Crazy Bus' title screen. No, really.

And it's a shame because in this very game (Yoshi's New Island, not Crazy Bus) Yoshi CAN make adorable noises:

It's just a shame Yoshi's adorable noises are drowned out by the ear-piercing horror that is that flute (or whatever instrument it is) making those obnixous sounds. It's actually painful to listen to.

I never thought music could sound so lifeless before this but…well..there you go

I must be the only one not seeing the problem with the music, it sounds pretty nice to me considering what game this is. Also, yoshi sounds so adorable, why the heck aren't the flutter wings just a normal power up dang it -_-.

• Thumbs Up 2

Launch trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHms7Cddrd

The reviews tomorrow are going to be very, very interesting.

I must be the only one not seeing the problem with the music, it sounds pretty nice to me considering what game this is. Also, yoshi sounds so adorable, why the heck aren't the flutter wings just a normal power up dang it sleep.png.

I must be the only one not seeing the problem with the music, it sounds pretty nice to me considering what game this is. Also, yoshi sounds so adorable, why the heck aren't the flutter wings just a normal power up dang it sleep.png.

There could have been sweat level design if the flutter wings were a regular power up

Skimming through the World 2 video was so uneventful I even forgot to post to say it was after watching it earlier.

Launch trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHms7Cddrd

"This video is currently unavailable."

SAYS IT ALL.

...Is what I was going to say, but then I realised you'd just cut a letter off from the end of the URL.  Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHms7CddrdM

Fun fact: I got this via a Google search for "Yoshi's New Island launch trailer", and one of the auto-suggestions once I got to "Yoshi's New Island l" was "Yoshi's New Island looks bad."

Honestly, other than the music (which is, admittedly, too boring for its own good), I still have no real big hangups with this game. Going by the GameXplain playthrough video of World 1, it seems interesting enough to me, at least.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm actually getting a little bit more excited for this the more I hear/see of it. Might just get this somewhere down the line.

I don't really get the complaints about the music for this game. The main theme is a really nice, catchy, laid-back tune so I don't really mind them pulling a Super Mario World and having level themes be different versions of it. The only songs I've heard from this that I actually thought were bad are the title screen theme (Seriously, who the fuck approved that track?) and the song that plays when Yoshi meets Baby Mario.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't really get the complaints about the music for this game. The main theme is a really nice, catchy, laid-back tune so I don't really mind them pulling a Super Mario World and having level themes be different versions of it. The only songs I've heard from this that I actually thought were bad are the title screen theme (Seriously, who the fuck approved that track?) and the song that plays when Yoshi meets Baby Mario.

Yeah, the music seems like something you can really just relax to (which once again, fits the theme of this game pretty well) and even if it is just variations of the main theme, they still sound pretty good.

I admit, it's a tune I find myself accidentally humming and immediately was like "...damnit" considering my past moany posts about it.

Having said that, Yoshi's Story still did this way better.  From the World 1 and 2 videos, so far this seems to have only a couple more tunes than Yoshi's Island SNES did... except they're all variations on one theme, so it gets kind of old.

Yoshi's Story did the "remix the main theme" thing and had like at least one unique song for every 2 levels in the game.

Mario World gets a free pass because it's an old game.  If they did that small amount of music in a modern Mario game I'd be disappointed.  I still get disappointed when modern Mario games use the same castle music for even the final level.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, other than the music (which is, admittedly, too boring for its own good), I still have no real big hangups with this game. Going by the GameXplain playthrough video of World 1, it seems interesting enough to me, at least.

Yeah, pretty much me right now, sans the music. I'm fine with every song that doesn't have that tone-deaf kazoo bullshit playing. Otherwise, I'm feel pretty good about everything else.

• Thumbs Up 2

You know your game is boring when you have "explore underwater" as a feature to draw people in.laugh.png

• Thumbs Up 2

You know your game is boring when you have "explore underwater" as a feature to draw people in.laugh.png

Or the fact its a first for the series.