Awoo.

Yoshi's New Island (3DS)

Detective Shadzter

Mario World gets a free pass because it's an old game.  If they did that small amount of music in a modern Mario game I'd be disappointed.  I still get disappointed when modern Mario games use the same castle music for even the final level.

Super Mario Sunshine did that too...not all the time, the Delfino Island theme remixed in a few of the levels along with new music in other areas.

Super Mario Sunshine did that too...not all the time, the Delfino Island theme remixed in a few of the levels along with new music in other areas.

Sunshine is one of many Mario games that do that with the main theme (to the extent Sunshine does I mean - four courses remix the main theme in Sunshine), though only rare exceptions do it on almost every single level (namely World and Land 2).

I don't know if it was mentioned yet, as the embargo for reviews won't be lifted till tomorrow, but someone found Edge's score through their magazine.

They gave it a 4/10. Ouch. Now we know why Nintendo kept the Embargo for so long.

For reference Yoshi's Island DS got a 6/10 from them.

Being summed up, 

• Unresponsive controls
  • Poor level design
  • Anachronistic checkpointing
  • Lack of anything 'new'
  • Very poor use of 3D
  • 'Horrid' music

Another person who has the magazine

The Edge review is pretty damning. It talks about the 3D being so bad that you can't actually tell if there's a platform there or not. Some of the platforms are actually behind the player even though you can still step on them.

They also mention the horrible music and that the levels just feel like random collections of platforms. They also say that the eggs you throw don't track off the screen (even slightly) so don't collect coins that may be sitting there. The giant eggs are also labelled as pointless. It sounds pretty bad.

Some positive impressions from people who played it says it's not bad, but doesn't feel fresh. Enjoyable but wouldn't buy again at full price, all the usual NSMB stuff sadly.

TBH as mean as it sounds I hope the low scores this game gets dis-encourages Nintendo from trying any more NEW styled- series. One of them is enough, we don't need NEW Super Metroid, Zelda's NEW Legend, etc.

…….

So when is Yarn Yoshi again?

Here

Europe_the_coffin.png

Right next to SMTxFE.

Edit: God damn it I read that as "So where is Yarn Yoshi?" thanks for ruining my joke

... Well, at least we have that Yoshi's Island DLC from Sonic Lost World to ease the pain of this, right, guys? ... Right?

Seriously, though, while this does seem rather damning, I would like to see more scores before I can safely comment on this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here

Right next to SMTxFE.

Edit: God damn it I read that as "So where is Yarn Yoshi?" thanks for ruining my joke

Its rather fitting though since that exactly where yarn yoshi is

EDGE do tend to be pretty strict but they're usually very honest despite being unforgiving.  Be interesting to see how things go.

The comments on 3D were very interesting.  This whole time I was thinking how I couldn't imagine what this game would look like in 3D what with the pre-rendered sprites.

The only review I want to see is Yahtzee's review.

You know that one will be brutally hilarious.

I forgot about the 3D, I can't imagine how it will look.

If it was the year of yoshi, it would of been a bad start.

Poor yoshi.

I'm curious what gamexplain thinks of this game.

I never even use 3D so it probably wouldn't be a problem for me. As for the game itself, i'll look at more gameplay when it comes out since from what we've seen so far, it looks pretty cool. Sides i'd rather form my own opinion than relying on reviews at this point (nothing against anyone who does).

I literally never play with the 3D on anyway, so this doesn't affect me.  Sounds pretty bad, though.  Although 3D platforming kind of doesn't work with jump-through-able platforms anyway.  I haven't seen any other reviews yet, but they are meant to start openly circulating today, and it's not like there's much longer they can hold out on them.  The game's released tomorrow!

However, I have heard a very interesting gameplay feature that's presently unconfirmed, but which will make a big difference for completionists: Apparently, if you get the maximum score of one of the collectibles in a level, like 20/20 red coins or 5/5 flowers, the game saves it and you won't have to get them all again if you replay the level.  In other words, if this is true, you can get 100% on a level without doing it in a single run.

I also heard that the endgame plot (non-specific spoiler here, I didn't want to find out any more than this myself) features:

Time travel like in Yoshi's Island DS.  I can pretty much guess what that means.

Can't say I'm surprised in the slightest by that EDGE review. I was predicting around 6s and 7s from most outlets so a 4/10 from the ever-more-harsh EDGE seems about right in that regard. Very intrigued to see how all the rest stack up later today.

I also heard that the endgame plot (non-specific spoiler here, I didn't want to find out any more than this myself) features:

Time travel like in Yoshi's Island DS.  I can pretty much guess what that means.

Any excuse to rehash that final boss, eh...!

Roll up, roll up, come witness the amazing giant Bowser battle from yesteryear, now presented using eye-gouging graphics while ear-bleeding music plays in the background!

Any excuse to rehash that final boss, eh...!

Roll up, roll up, come witness the amazing giant Bowser battle from yesteryear, now presented using eye-gouging graphics while ear-bleeding music plays in the background!

Pretty much!  This is something I caught that wasn't in a spoiler tag, but (again, indeterminate unconfirmed final boss spoilers):

The words "same model as NSMB2" came up...

Combine that with my theory that every mid-world castle boss is Kamek, and... Yoshi's "New" Island, huh?

Pretty much!  This is something I caught that wasn't in a spoiler tag, but (again, indeterminate unconfirmed final boss spoilers):

The words "same model as NSMB2" came up...

Combine that with my theory that every mid-world castle boss is Kamek, and... Yoshi's "New" Island, huh?

So if that's true...

We're pretty much looking at this for the final boss then?

maxresdefault.jpg

Except I imagine it'll be toned down with those awful claymation graphics. I can't even begin to imagine how horrible that's going to look. Unless of course they're really lazy and don't bother to change it one bit!

But either way... wow, that's lazy. Hopefully it's not totally accurate.

EDIT: Spoilerific confirmation of the above!

7sQGl.jpg

Oh dear.

Spoilerific confirmation of the above!

7sQGl.jpg

Oh dear.

So, Bowser, in his endless journey to defeat the Mario Bros, swiped the Time Stones and went back in time to finish the job before it started. Seems legit.

Seriously, I still want to try this game out, but this? This is disappointing.

Honestly I wasn't being thrilled to much with the bosses and Ive never played Yoshi's Island DS so that will be new to me. But if your intro toots that Baby Bowser took over the Island I can only hope that he os featured in a good boss fight

He misplaces historical artifacts in Mario's Time Machine, accidentally falls into a time hole in Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, goes back to claim the star power in Yoshi's Island DS, and now this! Bowser time hops more than Doc Brown.

:P

Honestly I wasn't being thrilled to much with the bosses and Ive never played Yoshi's Island DS so that will be new to me. But if your intro toots that Baby Bowser took over the Island I can only hope that he os featured in a good boss fight

The fight apparently goes like this:

-first two are same as snes YI

-then current time-line bowser appears, fight itself is rehash of smb3 bowser fight

-and final is same as hueg-baby bowser fight

Worst part? They all take three hits, and that I dont have proof, but since two people has more or less leaked same thing I believe its true, but again, for actual proof you'll have to wait until someone records whole thing to youtube.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/711405-yoshis-new-island/68765163?page=2

The only review I want to see is Yahtzee's review.

You know that one will be brutally hilarious.

He probably won't even review it.  There'd be no point anyway - it's one of the things I don't take his opinions seriously for and just view him as an entertainer - but the stuff we're saying about Yoshi's New Island - that's how he already sees the Mario and Zelda franchises.  Even 3D World and stuff.

I don't understand why this even exists. The news came out of nowhere one day without a bit of anticipation and it looked lacklustre from that day on. There was little different about this and the older games, and the graphics looked ugly.

Honestly I have no idea why it was made or why it was given to the people behind the NSMB series, but damn if this doesn't make Miyamoto sound like a hypocrite with that innovation comment about F-Zero.

Confirmation of the 4/10 EDGE score and their review summary:

“No one part of Yoshi’s New Island is ruinous by itself, but the sum is so much less than the 20-year-old parts from which it’s cobbled together. No one deserves to be duped by the Crayola box art into expecting a true sequel to a childhood-gulping adventure, which is still counted among the most innovative 16bit games of the mid-’90s. Arzest has laid an egg here, but not of the golden variety.”

I wasn't initially going to read spoilers, but wow, that's bad.

Not only did they rehash the Yoshi's Island boss, they also rehashed the exact same boss battle sequence from Yoshi's Island DS - Baby Bowser, Bowser, Giant Bowser!  They're eating their own tail!

If I had a better game waiting on the back burner to be played, I would probably not get YNI at this point.  But I have a jaunt coming up where I'll be without Internet access for a week, and I really need a decent-length game to play during that time.  I don't have any choice.  Well, I guess I can at least report firsthand on this game afterwards rather than criticising it second-hand...

I just don't understand.  What development team sits in a meeting and brainstorms things like "for the final boss, let's do the same thing we did last time".  "Let's bring back all the exact same level gimmicks from the first game."

What kind of overarching company who prides itself on being innovative and not following the crowd then goes and gives a product like this an okay.  The same company who tore down a game that looked as fine as Twilight Princess was and near-started from scratch because "it wasn't fun enough yet".

How does this game exist

The dev team behind the NSMB series.