Awoo.

Yoshi's New Island (3DS)

Detective Shadzter

From Pocketgamer UK:

A fun, if curiously uninspired, entry in the Yoshi's Island series, featuring superb art and sound, but very few new gameplay ideas.

A fun, if curiously uninspired, entry in the Yoshi's Island series, featuring superb art and sound

featuring superb art and sound

superb sound

What

What

No no, they missed an oxford comma.

Superb art, and sound.

The game features superb art, and it also features sound.  Unfortunately.

• Thumbs Up 9

So this game was seriously that underrated with the score? I've yet to see gameplay of it. What would have been a huge factor in improving this anyway?

So this game was seriously that underrated with the score? I've yet to see gameplay of it. What would have been a huge factor in improving this anyway?

-good graphics

- good soundtrack

- good gameplay

Those things might've helped. xP

First he copied Eggman's idea of an Interstellar Amusement Park in 3D World, now he copied his idea of going back in time to kill his enemy when he was an infant. What's next?

Bowser in Yoshi's Island DS did it first, now he's just doing it again.

I think this game looks like shit to, but at least you actually have to play it. QTE's are a fucking shitstain of game design.

They've been that way since Yoshi's Island, right?

Not sure if this is posted but Gamexplain got their review up.

http://youtu.be/HFNTivPnDMU

4/5

even after watching this review im still not sure to give it a try.

Edit:yup its been posted, sorry

Here's another 5/10 review, this time from ShackNews, who simply label it a "rotten egg"

http://www.shacknews.com/article/83512/yoshis-new-island-review-rotten-egg

It's a shame this title didn't manage to pull a Mario 3D World and go from looking very uninspired and by-the-numbers to something truly extraordinary. Yoshi's New Island has looked bland and mediocre from its announcement, and it's absolutely stayed consistently dull right up to its release.

If you want to play a good Yoshi game on the 3DS, play Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island (assuming you're part of the Ambassador programme). I know that's what I'll be doing. The only way I'll ever consider picking up Yoshi's New Island is if I see it ridiculously cheap in a bargain bin someday, and even then it'll only be out of curiosity to see just how lackluster it really is.

No no, they missed an oxford comma.

Superb art, and sound. 

The game features superb art, and it also features sound.  Unfortunately.

The problem with that theory however is that they're still calling this "superb":

yoshis_island.jpg

Looks like the only logical explanation here is that the whole sentence was ill-portrayed sarcasm.

I'll admit, I do like the backgrounds, they're quite artistic and aesthetically pleasing to me, but all the ugly CG sprites do distract from it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, maybe it's just me but I find the visuals ten times more offensive than the sound. I mean, the sound isn't really good, but it's tolerable.

Well, maybe it's just me but I find the visuals ten times more offensive than the sound. I mean, the sound isn't really good, but it's tolerable.

I suppose the visuals technically are more offensive than the sound, purely because you can mute the volume and save yourself from having to listen to that out of tune kazoo. Even stick something half-decent on in the background instead, should you wish.

The visuals on the other hand, you can't turn off. Not without shutting down the system, anyway :lol:

I think they both go kinda hand in hand.  The backgrounds are nice but the animation, foregrounds and sprites are so ugly they drag it all down.  The main theme is nice enough and quite hummable but the mixes are so empty and boring and it's used for everything so it gets old very fast.

Just everything about this game is so flat and uninspired.  That doesn't automatically make it bad, just average - but average is not filling the shoes of a sequel to one of the most beloved 16-bit platformers of all time like Yoshi's Island.

The dev team behind NSMB helped, this was still mostly Artoon's work, the same team behind the equally mediocre Yoshi's Island DS.

Did any of you fucking play the NSMB games, the level design was great and full of as many new ideas and concepts (many of which were designed for and unique to the levels they appeared in) as the old Mario games had.  You couldn't recreate NSMB on the Mario World engine like you probably could with this game (sans motion control and big egg sections) on the Yoshi's Island engine.

The NSMB games were as original and fresh as Mario Galaxy was compared to this piece of trash.

Sorry for going a bit berserk here but I'm a bit sick of people taking any opportunity to shit on NSMB just because they can't see beyond "THE WORLDS GO GRASS DESERT TROPICAL SNOW JUNGLE MOUNTAIN SKY LAVA THEY'RE ALL THE SAME GAME".

Not arguing with you, I do agree that the NSMB series does get shit on unfairly for a majority of the time, but I would like to point out something.

I'm comparing this to the NSMB series not because it looks bland and uninspired, but because of that word "New". That idea Nintendo has integrated into themselves. Taking the basic concept of a series, the concept that the series was built upon,  and making a new game entirely around that.

That's how a new sequel should always be made right? Stick to the formula, try new things, but don't stray too far away from it.

The New series however, does the exact opposite. Sure they may add a level gimmick here and there, but for the most part they stay glued to the original formula, almost as if afraid to try new things. That's not how a sequel should be made.

I'm sorry if I seem like I'm shitting on the NSMB series, but look at these pictures in the spoiler

MarioBlandNew-noscale.jpg

The above are the three "New" titles. Wouldn't even a seasoned gamer have trouble telling the games apart from a quick glance? You'd have to know what to look for specifically, which requires a more careful observation. Oh sure, the original sports a much lower resolution, but the visual uniformity is readily apparent. And unlike the NES games, these all run on different hardware. You'd assume that Nintendo would feel some impetus to mitigate confusion.

There is one more "New" game I failed to mention: New Super Mario Bros. Mii. A remixed version of NSMB Wii with the ability to play as (duh!) Miis, it was among the Wii U "experiences" present at last year's E3. How does it stack up visually?

MarioBland-WiiVsMii-noscale.jpg

Take a guess! Which is Wii and which is Mii? Hard to tell without other Miis running around, huh?

To be fair, NSMB Mii wasn't pitched as an actual Wii U title. However, there will be a Wii U Mario title, and it's rumored to be based upon Mii. How different will it be? How much will remain the same? We won't know until E3, but you'll have to excuse me if I'm not brimming with confidence.

Again, two years later I have to ask, where exactly does the "New" come in?

People do say "Well the games are filled with new concepts and such" and to that I'd like to take a little quick look at Sonic 4 Ep.1

As I remember,  almost each act had new level gimmicks and concepts we've never seen before. Swinging on vines, Running through and on cards, balancing yourself on top of boulders, minecarts, torch-puzzles, you get the point. But because of the re-used level styles that have been in previous games, these gimmicks are often over-looked, and the game is bluntly stated to be "nothing but a rehash."

Obviously the big difference here is that NSMB shits all over Sonic 4's level design, but the same matters still apply. Yeah they try new gimmicks and concepts, but it's all hidden under the huge layer of nostalgia that's covering the game.

I've seen the common theory that these games, simply are not made for us. They are made for the new generation of gamers who don't have the means to play Yoshi's Island, or Super Mario Bros. 3. Or maybe they don't want to play them because they're old and look aged.

So Nintendo makes the New series, in order to try and replicate the games we used to love, and bring them for the newer generation to love. But the problem with that however, is what about us? What about the gamers who grew up with those games? We still love Yoshi's Island, we still love Mario 3, but we want to see something new.

And that's where the problem lies. What's new to them is old to us. These new gimmicks or concepts that this generation is seeing for the first time, we've been experiencing for years.

Should we just ignore the New series since they're not for us? I dunno. But I do know is that I want something that is truly new in these series. I want a new 2D Mario that can stand up on it's own to the original four back in the 80's/90's. I want a new 2D Yoshi that can rival Yoshi's Island.

But Nintendo's more focused on showing new gamers why us old gamers love them. More focused on bringing a modernized SMB3 or Yoshi's Island to the playground, to be like "Hey kids, see this? Your mommy and daddy used to love this game back when they were your age."

That's why I want the new series to stop. Or not stop, but perhaps counterbalance the new series with an even new-er series. One that appeals not only to new gamers, but old ones as well. One that can stand to the old games and say "Yeah, I'm based off your concepts, but I do things my way now!'

/endrant

• Thumbs Up 4

It's a sorry state of affairs if you're tacitly admitting that your new ideas aren't as good as your old ones.  Such is the very foundation of the "New" series: Old ideas, new lick of paint.

The New series however, does the exact opposite. Sure they may add a level gimmick here and there, but for the most part they stay glued to the original formula, almost as if afraid to try new things. That's not how a sequel should be made.

"Here and there?" The NSMB series introduces a new element or gimmick on almost every single level, as I said. Exceptions are NSMB Wii (which did the "combine gimmicks from earlier levels in new ways" a little more than the other three games. Also NSLU, though that was DLC and more in vein of a second quest than a full fresh game.

I'm sorry if I seem like I'm shitting on the NSMB series, but look at these pictures in the spoiler

I knew you were going to compare 1-1 in every game before I even opened the spoiler. The level that has to assume that the player may have never played a Mario game before. Of course they're going to be similar. And I already pointed out that I am aware that using the same aesthetic level tropes in every game was lazy, but the actual gameplay past that is great. NSMB introduces Mega Mario in 1-1, NSMBWii introduces the rolling hills gimmick (and naturally is likely to be the players first foray into multiplayer Mario, so is laid out quite openly compared to other 1-1's to welcome that), NSMB2 re-introduces Racoon Mario (along with the new coin gimmick in various ways), and NSMBU introduces the Squirrel Suit. So no, even 1-1 is vastly different in every game.

Also, the NSMB series has introduced us to the Mega Mushroom, Mini Mushroom, Shell Suit, Propeller Mushroom, Ice Flower, Penguin Suit, Gold Fire Flower, and Flying Squirrel Suit - in addition to returning old favorites.

As I remember,  almost each act had new level gimmicks and concepts we've never seen before. Swinging on vines, Running through and on cards, balancing yourself on top of boulders, minecarts, torch-puzzles, you get the point. But because of the re-used level styles that have been in previous games, these gimmicks are often over-looked, and the game is bluntly stated to be "nothing but a rehash."

Obviously the big difference here is that NSMB shits all over Sonic 4's level design, but the same matters still apply. Yeah they try new gimmicks and concepts, but it's all hidden under the huge layer of nostalgia that's covering the game.

I've always defended Sonic 4 Episode 1 for this too actually and loved that each act had it's own identity, much as NSMB's course designs do. So, what exactly is your point here?

I've seen the common theory that these games, simply are not made for us. They are made for the new generation of gamers who don't have the means to play Yoshi's Island, or Super Mario Bros. 3. Or maybe they don't want to play them because they're old and look aged.

So Nintendo makes the New series, in order to try and replicate the games we used to love, and bring them for the newer generation to love. But the problem with that however, is what about us? What about the gamers who grew up with those games? We still love Yoshi's Island, we still love Mario 3, but we want to see something new.

And that's where the problem lies. What's new to them is old to us. These new gimmicks or concepts that this generation is seeing for the first time, we've been experiencing for years.

We open our eyes and pay attention to the level design concepts and all the new power-ups and how they offer new ways for Mario to move through the levels that the old power-ups didn't? That's what I do.

All your criticisms apply perfectly to Yoshi's New Island, which reuses old gimmicks by the handful and re-arranges them into new designs, but NSMB is full of designs and ideas that did not exist in the past games. The only reason people don't notice is because they played NSMB once, it wasn't as good as the old games because nothing can live up to childhood nostalgia, and then they went straight back to playing the old games that they have the gall to call "more memorable" and "classic" when they've played those a hundred times over and the NSMB games just once or twice.

So has the reviews change anyone's mind about buying this game tomorrow? Im not buying tomorrow but maybe sometime later this spring when I fell like trying it out.

Has the reviews changed my mind? No, it just makes me despise game journalism even more when they can't see how much of a borefest travesty this game is, if I were swayed by reviews in the slightest I'd feel conned out of a good £30 for a shiny piece of shit.

They weren't even trying with this entry, you can tell from the sound direction and gimped gameplay decisions that this was always meant to be  quick cash in.

• Thumbs Up 6

Has the reviews changed my mind? No, it just makes me despise game journalism even more when they can't see how much of a borefest travesty this game is, if I were swayed by reviews in the slightest I'd feel conned out of a good £30 for a shiny piece of shit.

They weren't even trying with this entry, you can tell from the sound direction and gimped gameplay decisions that this was always meant to be  quick cash in.

Well first of all the reviews haven't exactly been glowing so I dont see how they're failing to see where the game falters, secondly they actually played the game whereas I don't think anyone here has yet.

Im not defending the game, I just dont see how the reviews not being super low (but still not being all that good) invalidates them

• Thumbs Up 4

I think it's about time that Nintendo take back the reigns of the Yoshi series, or at least yet Good Feel have a crack at it (seriously, where is Yarn Yoshi?).

"Here and there?" The NSMB series introduces a new element or gimmick on almost every single level, as I said. Exceptions are NSMB Wii (which did the "combine gimmicks from earlier levels in new ways" a little more than the other three games. Also NSLU, though that was DLC and more in vein of a second quest than a full fresh game.

I'd have to argue against this.

The games tend to introduce new level ideas and concepts generally in the first two worlds, before using them over and over again in the later worlds. Recently playing NSMBDS and NSMB2 again, I can definitely vouch for this. The games aren't exactly chock filled to the brim with new ideas as you implied, but I won't say that there aren't new ideas put in there every now and then.

I knew you were going to compare 1-1 in every game before I even opened the spoiler. The level that has to assume that the player may have never played a Mario game before. Of course they're going to be similar. 

But that doesn't make it any better. Tons of sequels these and back then days don't rely on the player having played the prequel. But they also don't make a "homage" or "tribute" to the first level. NSMBU does stray from this by treading somewhat new ground, but the first three games doing this is just unacceptable and as you said lazy.

the actual gameplay past that is great. NSMB introduces Mega Mario in 1-1, NSMBWii introduces the rolling hills gimmick (and naturally is likely to be the players first foray into multiplayer Mario, so is laid out quite openly compared to other 1-1's to welcome that), NSMB2 re-introduces Racoon Mario (along with the new coin gimmick in various ways), and NSMBU introduces the Squirrel Suit. So no, even 1-1 is vastly different in every game.

But only in level design. Your arguement here seems to be that even though the NSMB games look the same, play the same, and sound the same, the level design differences should be enough to give the games credit on their own.

But people can't play the same series over and over again with the aesthetics, music, or even gameplay barely changing. There's only so many times people can play three (I'll exclude NSMBU from this) over and over again before getting bored with it.

Gameplay is the most important part of a game yes, but they're not just the only part of the game like they were so many years ago. You can't have just good gameplay and have bland graphics, uninspiring environments, blegh music, and what not and call it a day.

Even the gameplay isn't that inspiring to be honest. Once again taking a look back at the old games. in SMB1 all Mario could do was run and jump. Then 2 introduced picking up carrying and throwing things. 3 introduced flying and the p-meter, World has the spin attack.

In all four NSMB games Mario and co does not change once. They jump the same, run the same, ground pound the same, and spin the same. Oh but it's okay, because the games have new level gimmicks in them. Is that what you're getting at?

I've always defended Sonic 4 Episode 1 for this too actually and loved that each act had it's own identity, much as NSMB's course designs do. So, what exactly is your point here?

My point is that you were supposed to hate Ep.1 so that my argument would work there....jerk.

All your criticisms apply perfectly to Yoshi's New Island, which reuses old gimmicks by the handful and re-arranges them into new designs, but NSMB is full of designs and ideas that did not exist in the past games. The only reason people don't notice is because they played NSMB once, it wasn't as good as the old games because nothing can live up to childhood nostalgia, and then they went straight back to playing the old games that they have the gall to call "more memorable" and "classic" when they've played those a hundred times over and the NSMB games just once or twice.

Bit of an exaggeration much? You seriously can't expect Nintendo to throw NSMB at us and expect us to go "Wow! This is just like the old games but even better!"

When four games share the exact same gameplay, the exact same music, the exact same graphics, the exact same environments, then I'm sorry but no. I'm not gonna ignore all of those and just pay attention to the level design only. By doing just that we're basically telling them "No it's okay, make some more New games. We don't mind." instead of the opposite.

Your arguments boil down to the NSMB games having good level design and concepts, but that's just it. Why can't we have new music/aesthetics as well?  Change the gameplay, change the way the game works, like sequels should.

That new level specific gimmick in World 5 or 6 isn't enough to have me over-look the rest of the games blatant flaws and uninspiration. If they really wanted to be new, they'd actually try something new, not take the same thing and sprinkle a new concept here and there and call it a day.

Even the NSMB series had alot of new stuff in each series even though the story was the same except NSMBU, that game did something very different which was nice.