Awoo.

Yoshi's New Island (3DS)

Detective Shadzter

The game currently has a Metacritic score of 64 based on 36 reviews, making it the lowest rated entry in the series on the site compared to a score of 81 for Yoshi's Island DS and a whopping 91 for Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island.

I think the real difference that lies between this game and the NSMB series is that, at its core, the latter is still inherently new. A couple of homages aside, I wouldn't look at any of the NSMB games and think "oh, that's a remake of Super Mario Bros./Super Mario Bros. 3/Super Mario World!" whereas with this game, it relies almost entirely on the original title. Yes, the NSMB games have grown stale due to them all being very similar in nature in the aesthetic department (and the over-saturation of them hasn't helped - heck, we got NSMB2 and NSMBU within a few months of each other). But their level designs and mechanics are still unique to that series, because you sure as hell could never wall jump or ground pound or triple jump in any other previous 2D Mario games. If you only so much as consider the DS entry to be "new" and the Wii/3DS/Wii U games to simply be glorified expansion packs with a few new power-ups, it at least was and felt truly new in the beginning. Yoshi's New Island, however - while technically being a new Yoshi's Island game in the most literal of senses - doesn't scream original in any sense, and the couple of features that do distinguish it from the original (Mega Eggdozers and gyro transformations) don't appear to add anything much to the gameplay at all, and if anything in the case of the latter, it's arguably a step backwards. I'd rather have Mega Mario than Mega Eggdozers any day. NSMB if nothing else has its own identity, even if it has been worn into the ground at this point. Yoshi's New Island is basically just a 20 year old game with slightly new level designs and a graphical/audio overhaul that is divisive to say the least.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm confused as to what you mean.

There was a QTE mini game in the original Yoshi's Island...just not really punishing.

Hi, my name is JezMM, and I actually know what the heck I'm talking about

Thank you so much for this.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well...at least the final boss reinforces my headcanon that Bowser Jr will grow up to be a much more intelligent and strategic king despite currently emulating his father? It took him years to even learn basic fire breath, while Baby B here is groundpounding and fire breathing like it ain't no thing. Brains instead of brawn (although he does have natural strength and running ability). 

On the other hand, what the hell is the point of having a giant boss battle with Baby Bowser just to follow it up with a giant battle with regular Bowser?

• Thumbs Up 1

I know it seems funny to make fun of NSMB after passionately defending it, but giant Bowser being the final boss of every single one is something that does bother me in NSMB (even though the Wii/U fights were great).

But what I find so... so hilarious here is that Yoshi's New Island did a fake-out ending... they made us think the final boss was just gonna be a rehash of final boss concepts from Yoshi's Island... to "surprise" us with a rehash of New Super Mario Bros. final boss concepts.  Which have been rehashed twice already.  Ohhhhh my god you couldn't make this shit up.

A lamer version of the SNES final bosses, followed by the lame NSMB final boss fights. I think I'm done here.

A lamer version of the SNES final bosses, followed by the lame NSMB final boss fights. I think I'm done here.

Where you here to begin with?

There was a QTE mini game in the original Yoshi's Island...just not really punishing.

As long as it's not part of the core gameplay, it's fine.

I'm talking about games that insist on making an entire game of it.

Bolded are my responses.

3-1 - Fairly generic underwater level, unless you got to 1-A this will be the first one in the game though. Has a focus on avoiding Cheep Cheeps more than other levels mind you. You already said the level's generic, but avoiding Cheep Cheeps is something we've been doing since SMB1.
3-2 - Mushrooms that tilt from side to side - at the end you ride one as it carries you to the end of the level which tilts in many directions and you must try to keep on top of it. Only level in game that uses this gimmick.
3-3 - Underwater level in which you must activate switches to turn off/on blowing water pipes to get past them. Only level in game that uses this gimmick.
3-House - Switches that turn on/off flicky staircases. Only level in game that uses this gimmick.
3-Tower - Introduces fence climbing to get the to the top of a tower. Fence climbing is not new, has been with the series since SMW
3-Castle - Introduces spiky drill smashy things with some water elements. Spike drills are also not new. SMW and YI

4-1 - Swamp level where you must ride Dorrie - introduces hanging spider enemies.
4-2 - Mushroom level where the mushrooms tilt in reaction to which side you're standing on. Only level in game that uses this gimmick.
4-3 - Underwater levels with many small eels that bite at you from their holes.
4-4 - Introduces the Mini Wiggler enemy... I may be wrong but I think this is the only level they appear on.
4-5 - Cave level that focuses on destroying rocks with bob-ombs. Only level in game that uses this gimmick.
4-6 - Another swamp level with a much larger focus on riding Dorrie. Uh no. 4-1 introduced Dorrie, this one is reusing the Dorrie gimmick. Not new.
4-House - Ghost house with many puzzles involving making blocks appear by pushing switches. The new Boo enemies inflate themselves bigger and bigger the longer you look away from them. Only level in game that uses this gimmick.
4-Tower - Fence Climbing away from rising lava Already mentioned, not a new gimmick and fence climbing has already been used.
4-Castle - Heavy focus on using swinging ropes while avoiding Thwomps

5-1 - Introduces Gabons that throw rolling snowballs at you, along with sinky snow and trees with snow that knock you to the floor. Only level in game that uses this gimmick.
5-2 - Icy cave with many Swoopas and Spike Tops. These enemies rarely appear elsewhere if I recall. Ice cave is not a level specific gimmick nor a new concept
5-3 - Super icy level focused around sliding to defeat enemies and jumping at the right moments to grab coins. Not the first game to introduce sliding ice. SMW
5-4 - Mushrooms that go up or down when jumped upon depending on their colour. Only level in game that uses this gimmick.
5-House - Ghost House that introduces the boxing ghosts who break through walls to chase you. Only level in game that uses this gimmick.
5-Tower - Elevator ride to the top where you must dodge things along the way.
5-Castle - Castle that focuses on conveyor belts and pirahna plants.

6-1 - Introduces the ledges that you must edge yourself across or hang from, all while dodging bullet bills.
6-2 - Oversea level with water that rises and falls with spinies in it that move around when on the ground. Progress mainly involves using pipe cannons to blast yourself to the next area. Only level in game that uses this gimmick. Water rising and falling is not new. Was in SMB3 and World if I recall. Pipe Cannons were used earlier in the game as well.
6-3 - Jungle level with many pirahna plants. Underground sections have large rolling logs that you must keep jumping across to avoid falling in the poison. Overground sections have red item blocks with spikes on one side - you must wait for the right moment to hit them. Only level in game that uses both these gimmicks.
6-4 - Another ledge-based level, this time with fire bars rather than bullet bills as the main hazards. Re-using the level gimmick from 6-1 only with different enemies
6-5 - Underwater level with many homing Cheep Cheeps that chase you, and large whirlpools that appear and re-appear with certain timings. Only level in game that uses this gimmick.
6-6 - Large mountain level with lots of Chain Chomps to avoid. Pretty sure they don't appear on any other level. Pretty sure this was a gimmick used in SMB3.
6-Tower1 - Tower with lots of the large spiky column smashers - mostly horizontal ones rather than the vertical ones from 3-Castle. Turning a spike on it's side doesn't make it new.
6-Tower2 - Tower with a focus on pipe cannons to progress upwards. Your timing must be just right in many situations. Pipe Canons have been used twice before. Perhaps more. Also 1-Tower used the pipe canon to progress upwards. Not new.
6-Castle - Fairly generic castle this one, just an obstacle course over lava with many typical castle enemies and terrain. Ok

7-1 - Level with many moving platforms that follow a set path, similar to but not stealing all the concepts from Cheese Bridge back in Mario World. SMB3 and World had multiple levels that did this. Not new.
7-2 - Elevator that you can control the direction of, but always moves upwards, while dodging many Paratroopas. Only level in game that uses this gimmick.
7-3 - A huge Wiggler carries you across the sky. Only level in game that uses this gimmick.
7-4 - Large, sprawling open mushroom level with a bunch of secrets and routes through. Same mushrooms used in earlier levels in the game. Also reuses the gimmick from World 1's mushroom level.
7-5 - Grassy level with lots of bullet bills and bob-ombs. You must remember the gimmick from 4-5 and destroy some blocks with bob-ombs to reach a secret exit, or the map will send you around in a circle. Only level in game that uses this gimmick.  Contradicting how you say this is the only level that uses this gimmick, yet 4-5 used it as well. Not new.
7-6 - Level with tons of Koopas and Paratroopas to avoid. Another one where you cannot progress to the castle without finding a secret exit down a pipe. A level with tons of enemies to avoid? That's not new. Nor is finding the secret exit to progress in the game. SMB3 did that.
7-7 - Scrolling level reminiscent of that one level with the firey chomps from Mario 3 on World 5. Autoscrolling level. Cmon dude. That's a staple in the series.
7-House - Ghost House with 5 doors to choose from, all leading to different places. Only one leads to the exit, but you must visit them all to get all 3 star coins. Only level in game that uses this gimmick. Ghost houses in World had you going through different doors to find your way out. Not New,
7-Tower - Tower with many moving walls and floors, taking 1-Tower's gimmick and making a more unforgiving course. You just said it yourself. Not new.
7-Castle - Castle that re-introduces the block snakes from Mario World. Re-introduces is another word for saying "Not new"

8-1 - Level with crow enemies that circle around you before swooping down at a fixed rate the whole way through. Only level in game that uses this gimmick. The crow enemies appear in other levels in the game. Enemies are not level specific gimmicks, otherwise might as well call every level that has a new enemy a gimmick.
8-2 - Caves where you must use switches to raise the water level to escape each room.
8-3 - Underwater level where you are chased by a massive eel. Only level in game that uses this gimmick.
8-4 - Level with spiders that drop down periodically (not in the same places every time, depends where you are) and unlike earlier spiders, let go of their web and start walking around. Only level in game that uses this gimmick.
8-5 - Lava level with rocks that tilt and fall off in reaction to your weight. Only level in game that uses this gimmick.
8-6 - Level where you must escape an erupting volcano as the lava rises, with the screen looping round on the left and right. Only level in game that uses this gimmick.
8-7 - Level with many Hammer Bros and similar enemies to contend with. That is not new.
8-8 - Level where a volcano erupts in the background, and drops firey rocks that destroy terrain and light the fuses on bob-omb like enemies. Only level in game that uses this gimmick.
8-Tower1 - Tower with moving scenery. Not new.
8-Tower2 - Another block snake stage, this time vertical rather than horizontal. Another re-used gimmick
8-Castle - Another fairly generic castle stage to trick you into thinking it might be the last one. Nothing new.
8-Bowser - Castle stage that involves switches that rotate rooms round, creating new layouts. The second half revisits the looping "choose the right path" sections from Mario 1. Only level in game that uses this gimmick. The whole looping sections in castles that were in SMB1 and Lost Levels is not new.

Out of the 53 levels you just listed, over half of them  (27) of them aren't new gimmicks. Like I said earlier, the games tend to introduce new level ideas and concepts generally in the first couple of worlds before using them over and over again in later worlds. Saying I'm objectivley wrong is an objectively wrong statement itself.

Be my guest if you want to try and prove me wrong by doing NSMB2 and NSMBWii. I got nothing better to do.

Mega Mario. Rolling Hills. Raccoon Mario/Coin gimmick. I already said how the three 1-1's don't play alike at all. Mario 3 and World re-introduced the basic enemies and gameplay while also introducing a new gimmick in the exact same way.

Mega Mario and Raccoon Mario/Coin Gimmick are not level gimmicks, they're items used throughout the games. Average first time player can miss them and be left with yet another 1-1. where as it's impossible to miss the rolling hills in Wii.  Mario 3 and World re-introduced the basic enemies and new gameplay by doing new things. They didn't take Mario 1's 1-1 and try to add some new things to it, they did their own thing.

NSMBWii's soundtrack was new once upon a time for what that's worth...

You're right, Wii did have a new soundtrack, only for it to be used again in NSMB2 and U.

And what do you expect, for them to completely change the way Mario handles every single game? 

I dunno, considering they changed the way Mario handled in 1, 2,3,World, Land,Land2, hell even into the 3D games 64,Sunshine, Galaxy, 3D Land, 3D World, why of course I must be crazy to think they'd change the way Mario handles. Silly me.

I agree, and I've never defended this aspect. I'm arguing that people ONLY talk about this without even acknowledging that the level designs are still good and unique each game.

And I'm not arguing with how the level designs aren't good. Whenever people defend the NSMB series, the most common thing said is that it has good level design. It's one of the many saving graces of the series.

NSMB introduces wall jump, ground pound, triple jump to the 2D moveset. Wii introduces the mid-air quick spin and a number of new co-op exclusive techniques. I'll give you that 2 and U didn't introduce anything to Mario's base moveset but what do you expect here exactly. Should they add something for the sake of adding something every single game when some moves are better as temporary power-ups? (Which they of course added new ones of in every single NSMB game).

They should add something for the sake of not having the same exact gameplay instead of actually retracting from it. Why did 2 remove the spin-attack?

And of course the games have new power-ups. That's one of the big concepts of Mario, each game having power-ups that change the way you play. For a  main game to not have any new powerups is just contradiction to the basic Mario concept.

Also Mario 2 is completely irrelevant. I love that game but it was an accident and has had no baring on the rest of the Mario series other than introducing enemies and characters.

Irrelevant my ass. It added Bombs, Cherries, Keys, Birdo, Shy-Guys, Pokeys, Ninjis, Pidgits, Made Luigi Peach and Toad being playable for the first of many times, Ability to pick up items (something used many times in Wii and U), Chargeable jumps in the 3D series, the list goes ON.

Mario 2 may have been an accident, but it added many of the series staples that we've known for over 20 years. Too call it irrelevant is complete BS.

Why mess with perfection? I also love that you said they haven't changed across the four NSMB games when, a. they have, and b. the added spin move between NSMB and NSMBWii is an example of how they have and you actually list that. Again I implore you to play NSMB and NSMBU back to back to see how the general character handling as been tweaked and improved upon.

You call it perfection other people hate it. Mario controls good, I'm not saying he doesn't control bad or anything. But if you think he's perfect in the way he controls in NSMB, having much less mobility and agility than he did in say World, that's your preference. I just think it's not a good one.

But of course, the way Mario moves is built around the game's level design. Which is why if they were to ever change the way he plays in 2D games, they'd change the level design as well. Just stating what you were probably going to reply to this with.

I never said that?

The only reason people don't notice is because they played NSMB once, it wasn't as good as the old games because nothing can live up to childhood nostalgia

Right there. You were saying how people only play NSMB one time, get disappointed at how they aren't as good as the old games, and then just go back to the old games. (which by the way, is over-exaggeration)

I was saying how you can't just expect them to throw something like NSMB at us, and make us, the fans who play the games, say "Wow! This is just like the old games, but even better!"

Also to say that NSMB games get flak because of how it doesn't live up to the old games, or how people only play it once and move on, is objectively wrong.

You mean they're consistent rather than all handling wildly differently like 1 through to World do (huh?)

You seem to be suggesting that if every Mario game had NSMB's controls and played exactly like it did with little to no changes to it, that'd be okay. Because as you said earlier, why change perfection?

Because it'll get stale. That's why.

Only two of the games re-use music extensively, and one of them had at least 20% new music alongside.

20% and you say it doesn't re-use the music extensively? If an OST had 25 songs up there, 20% would be 5. 5 new songs out of 25 and you'd be willing to call that soundtrack new? Okay.

[quote[
For the last time, I'm saying I'm sick of people ignoring the level designs. If you think everything else is shit, that's fine, but people talk about the games as if they are entirely shit and do nothing new, when they do. It's not up for debate. They objectively do. New level gimmicks, new moves, new power-ups. But people only pay attention to the surface, not the core.

New review from TheBitBlock - 7.5/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EAaa9P7oXA

Also, video of just the final boss for people who don't want to sit through the whole final level before it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q5DlHTio2E

I just can't get over how much of an asspull the King Bowser appearance is. You defeat Baby Bowser - which yes, was always so blatantly going to be a rip-off of the original final boss - and he's like "one day I'll be stronger!"... and within seconds, he's back for no apparent reason. Presumably 20 or 30 years in the future, he just randomly remembered "hey, I told that one Yoshi I'd kick his ass when I was older!", jumped in his magical time machine, and proceeded to rehash pretty much the exact same boss battle all over again. They could have done a lot more with the time travel concept - especially as they have Mario pop up at the very end, which admittedly is a cute little touch - but nope, it's just "suddenly, Bowser!". Hooray for craptacular plot twists.

Also, the one thing that really bugs me about both the Giant Baby Bowser/Giant King Bowser fights is how they completely lack the atmosphere of the original final boss. I actually wish they'd just outright copied it note for note than completely ruin it like they have here. In the original, we have tense music, the silhouette of Giant Baby Bowser off in the distance gradually drawing closer in the background as he hurls stuff at you from above... in New Island, we get what, him jumping up and down a couple of times? Big whoop. And imagine how epic that "getting ever closer" thing would look in 3D. If the original final boss was able to be suspenseful and frightening back in the day - which is hilarious when you think about it, you're fighting a child - then just imagine what that would be like with some real depth perception and the screen popping out at you. Baby Bowser is coming to get you, be afraid...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtKh7e2ESBc

But yeah, whatever. This whole game is pretty much a massive disappointment in the originality front, and even when it puts its own spin on the first game, it manages to just make it worse. Pretty much the only thing keeping it from total irrelevance is the solid core Yoshi's Island gameplay, which seems to have somehow remained relatively intact.

New review from TheBitBlock - 7.5/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EAaa9P7oXA

Also, video of just the final boss for people who don't want to sit through the whole final level before it:

I just can't get over how much of an asspull the King Bowser appearance is. You defeat Baby Bowser - which yes, was always so blatantly going to be a rip-off of the original final boss - and he's like "one day I'll be stronger!"... and within seconds, he's back for no apparent reason. Presumably 20 or 30 years in the future, he just randomly remembered "hey, I told that one Yoshi I'd kick his ass when I was older!", jumped in his magical time machine, and proceeded to rehash pretty much the exact same boss battle all over again. They could have done a lot more with the time travel concept - especially as they have Mario pop up at the very end, which admittedly is a cute little touch - but nope, it's just "suddenly, Bowser!". Hooray for craptacular plot twists.

Also, the one thing that really bugs me about both the Giant Baby Bowser/Giant King Bowser fights is how they completely lack the atmosphere of the original final boss. I actually wish they'd just outright copied it note for note than completely ruin it like they have here. In the original, we have tense music, the silhouette of Giant Baby Bowser off in the distance gradually drawing closer in the background as he hurls stuff at you from above... in New Island, we get what, him jumping up and down a couple of times? Big whoop. And imagine how epic that "getting ever closer" thing would look in 3D. If the original final boss was able to be suspenseful and frightening back in the day - which is hilarious when you think about it, you're fighting a child - then just imagine what that would be like with some real depth perception and the screen popping out at you. Baby Bowser is coming to get you, be afraid...!

But yeah, whatever. This whole game is pretty much a massive disappointment in the originality front, and even when it puts its own spin on the first game, it manages to just make it worse. Pretty much the only thing keeping it from total irrelevance is the solid core Yoshi's Island gameplay, which seems to have somehow remained relatively intact.

Actually, watching that fight again, yeah, I admit, that'd have been way better. In fact, if he reaches you isn't it instant death?

W-wait, are you JOKING?! So in the original ending Yoshi just jumps a little further on to find Baby Luigi and the Stork tied up? I didn't remember that (been so long since I played Yoshi's Island), which basically means... *spoilers for anyone who cares*

they quite literally DID rip the ending from this game straight out of the original ending, what with that happening that Yoshi jumps along the path to find Baby Luigi and the stork in the EXACT SAME POSE as the original ending...

Yeah, this looks pretty crappy...

Guys, guys, guys. I just found out the biggest crime that this game has committed.

NO FUZZIES

And you know what that means

NO TOUCH FUZZY, GET DIZZY

touchfuzzygetdizzy.jpg

The game rehashes basically everything except the one thing that genuinely would have been worth bringing back for a laugh. Way to miss an opportunity, Nintendo.

And yes I realise it was probably cut due to being like a drugs reference or something, goddam censorship

• Thumbs Up 7

Not surprised at the reviews. I think the only reason why it's hasn't fallen squarely into negative review territory is because the core gameplay (which is solid in of itself) is still intact.

Also not to get myself completely involved into Nintendoga and Jez's debate but I just want to point out one thing I take issue with.

I dunno, considering they changed the way Mario handled in 1, 2,3,World, Land,Land2, hell even into the 3D games 64,Sunshine, Galaxy, 3D Land, 3D World, why of course I must be crazy to think they'd change the way Mario handles. Silly me.

The branch of 2D Mario games (the original SMB series and SML) I'll give you credit there, but I think you're grasping at straws listing the 3D Mario games.

The controls for the 3D Mario games have undergone changes because most of those games each went in considerably different directions. On top of that, comparing how the 3D Mario games play with the 2D Mario games is silly, because some things a character did (in terms of moveset) in a 2D platformer cannot be done in a 3D environment and vice versa.

64 having different controls is essentially a no brainer for the aforementioned reason above. It was the first attempt on adapting the 2D Mario gameplay to the 3D space-changes/differences to how Mario played in that game compared to SMB 1/2/3/World is to inherently be expected. They were practically experimenting.

Sunshine had a major focus on the FLUDD water mechanics, so naturally moves based on Mario's use of FLUDD would had changed things.

Galaxy not only scrapped the FLUDD mechanics, but due to it's setting featured gameplay and level design designed on planetoid level design which overhauls an esssential control element of a character-gravity. On top of that, Galaxy, unlike most Mario games, had controls designed around the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, which for all intents and purposes, is itself an offbeat control scheme from not just Nintendo controlls, but videogame controls in general.

3D Land's controls play a lot closer to the 2D Mario games compared to Mario games of past. 

3D World continues the control philosophy of 3D Land so I dunno why you listed it here.

@Nintendoga

Apparently I quoted too much so your stuff is in italics, mine is in bold.

Bolded are my responses.

Out of the 53 levels you just listed, over half of them  (27) of them aren't new gimmicks. Like I said earlier, the games tend to introduce new level ideas and concepts generally in the first couple of worlds before using them over and over again in later worlds. Saying I'm objectivley wrong is an objectively wrong statement itself.

Oh my god. You pretty much complained about all the ones that I WASN'T defending. I'm finding it hard to point this out in a way that doesn't insult you. Regarding all the ones that you complain appeared in earlier games, I am pointing out what makes each level unique. Not that every level necessarily introduces somethine new. For example, Dorrie in World 4. In 4-1 it introduces Dorrie towards the end, but in 4-5 it uses Dorrie EXTENSIVELY. This makes these two levels unique to each other. Dorrie is used in a different way in each of the two levels. I can't believe you didn't catch on to why I specifically stated which are the only levels to use these gimmicks, all the ones that I didn't I'm saying "this doesn't introduce something new, but the way it uses this gimmick is unique to this level". For example:

6-2 - Oversea level with water that rises and falls with spinies in it that move around when on the ground. Progress mainly involves using pipe cannons to blast yourself to the next area. Only level in game that uses this gimmick. Water rising and falling is not new. Was in SMB3 and World if I recall. Pipe Cannons were used earlier in the game as well.

You ignored the part about Spinies. This is the only level in the game where the water rising and falling affects the state of play of enemies, whether they're motionless or moving.

6-Tower1 - Tower with lots of the large spiky column smashers - mostly horizontal ones rather than the vertical ones from 3-Castle. Turning a spike on it's side doesn't make it new.

Are you suggesting that dodging a horizontal hazard and a vertical hazard is a not completely different situation for a character that moves horizontally in both directions at will but vertically only by jumping?

Also all the times you pointed out a concept that appeared in an earlier game I respond with "Duh I know" and all the times you pointed out a concept appeared in an earlier game that I described as "re-introduced" I response with "DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH I KNOW". As a reminder I was pointing out what made each level unique to play, while also pointing out that a lot more than "a sprinkle" of levels introduce something new.

Also anyway, what the flying fuck is wrong with re-using concepts if they're done in an interesting way? Yes World 1-Tower uses a single pipe cannon to progress at the end, why does that forbid doing a level focused around using lots of them? Why are we not allowed to use gimmicks introduced on easy levels again for hard levels when the gimmicks have potential to be used in more complex ways to challenge the player once they understand how they work from simpler scenarios?

Be my guest if you want to try and prove me wrong by doing NSMB2 and NSMBWii. I got nothing better to do.

Not worth it with Wii and 2 as I recall they introduce far less (still a decent amount, and still have unique designs for the stuff reused where you interact with them in a new way mind you) and Wii in particular is far more into providing a "Lost Levels" type experience for NSMB1 players, but I still defend that with the above paragraph. Also apparently things that give each level their own identity with a brand new gimmick every other level isn't enough for you, EVERY level must introduce something new.

Mega Mario and Raccoon Mario/Coin Gimmick are not level gimmicks, they're items used throughout the games. Average first time player can miss them and be left with yet another 1-1. where as it's impossible to miss the rolling hills in Wii.  Mario 3 and World re-introduced the basic enemies and new gameplay by doing new things. They didn't take Mario 1's 1-1 and try to add some new things to it, they did their own thing.

So what did Mario 3 and World's 1-1's do that was unique? I guess Venus Fire Traps were new... secret areas in the sky are new. Over on Mario World, the sliding Koopas and Banzai Bills are introduced. But I don't see how you can mention these when you earlier pointed out every NSMB level that reused a gimmick, even if that gimmick only appeared in limited capacity on an earlier level.

You're right, Wii did have a new soundtrack, only for it to be used again in NSMB2 and U.

Yes. So only two games did something wrong regarding music, is what I was saying.

First of all there was much longer time between all these games than between the NSMB games. And I still think consistency is fine. I understand what people might prefer about the 3 and World handling, World in particular due to how free and loose Mario feels, but the fact is every time Nintendo make a game they decide how Mario will handle, and they are allowed to say "let's keep the handling from the previous game, since players responded well to it". With 3D Land, they wanted a more nimble Mario for the new forward-focused level design so they got rid of the sturdiness he had in Galaxy/Galaxy 2. For 3D World, they obviously wanted consistency and were using the same level design ethics, so it made sense to keep his 3D Land handling.

And I'm not arguing with how the level designs aren't good. Whenever people defend the NSMB series, the most common thing said is that it has good level design. It's one of the many saving graces of the series.

Then what are we arguing abooooouuuut *sobs*

*wipes tears and continues arguing against the rest of your post*

They should add something for the sake of not having the same exact gameplay instead of actually retracting from it. Why did 2 remove the spin-attack?

I'm not actually sure, but I guess the level design was more compact and claustrophobic unlike the wide open designs of Wii and U, so they probably thought it wasn't necessary.

Irrelevant my ass. It added Bombs, Cherries, Keys, Birdo, Shy-Guys, Pokeys, Ninjis, Pidgits, Made Luigi Peach and Toad being playable for the first of many times, Ability to pick up items (something used many times in Wii and U), Chargeable jumps in the 3D series, the list goes ON.

Cherries were completely re-invented in 3D World - not a series staple, Keys have never been used in the same way, all the enemies mentioned are not gameplay concepts that appear in every Mario game, M/L/P/T playability never returned until 3D World, but in terms of Luigi it only introduced his fluttery signature jump animation - Mario 2 JP already introduced the concept of him jumping higher than Mario. The rest I'll give you.

Mario 2 may have been an accident, but it added many of the series staples that we've known for over 20 years. Too call it irrelevant is complete BS.

I just meant it was irrelevant in the sense that -it- didn't build upon the Mario formula as a new game. If they released a game with gameplay of that departure these days we'd call it a spin-off. In Japan it is considered a spin-off. The fact that they decided to reuse concepts from it for the main series is great because I'm a huge Mario 2 fan, but... yeah I hope you get what I mean. It's not like Mario 3 and World where it built on the core gameplay, it was a separate unique game that had elements reused in the main series later.

You call it perfection other people hate it. Mario controls good, I'm not saying he doesn't control bad or anything. But if you think he's perfect in the way he controls in NSMB, having much less mobility and agility than he did in say World, that's your preference. I just think it's not a good one.

Perfection was an overexaggeration, I just meant he's responsive and works for the NSMB level design. World's mobility is nice I agree and I understand why fans of that game might miss it.

But of course, the way Mario moves is built around the game's level design. Which is why if they were to ever change the way he plays in 2D games, they'd change the level design as well. Just stating what you were probably going to reply to this with.

...Have to give kudos where it was due, I typed the above before reaching this part again while going through lol. =U

Right there. You were saying how people only play NSMB one time, get disappointed at how they aren't as good as the old games, and then just go back to the old games. (which by the way, is over-exaggeration)

It's just the impression I get by people who say they introduce nothing new. I feel like if I was to give a sheet of classic Mario enemies an average fan could tell you every game they were introduced in. If you gave them a sheet of new Mario enemies onwards, they'd struggle to remember. And it's not because the new designs are bad, it's because they've had less time with them, due to both preferring the classics AND having adult schedules that prevent you playing games anytime you're not at school.

I was saying how you can't just expect them to throw something like NSMB at us, and make us, the fans who play the games, say "Wow! This is just like the old games, but even better!"

Also to say that NSMB games get flak because of how it doesn't live up to the old games, or how people only play it once and move on, is objectively wrong.

I played Mario as a kid and I just don't feel NSMB was "thrown at us" at all, I dunno. I genuinely enjoyed them. The bosses are too easy, and I wish they revamped the art style more each game and hadn't been so lazy with the music in 2 and U, but otherwise I came out very satisfied and had a lot of fun with the meat of the game.

You seem to be suggesting that if every Mario game had NSMB's controls and played exactly like it did with little to no changes to it, that'd be okay. Because as you said earlier, why change perfection?

Because it'll get stale. That's why.

I guess I just genuinely don't see them sticking with this formula much longer. I'm glad I have hundreds of levels to play with this solid gameplay, but I'm just an optimist. I'm sure 2D Mario in 10 years time will play as differently as it did 10 years ago.

20% and you say it doesn't re-use the music extensively? If an OST had 25 songs up there, 20% would be 5. 5 new songs out of 25 and you'd be willing to call that soundtrack new? Okay.

Only two of the games re-use music extensively, and one of them had at least 20% new music alongside. That's what I said. "One of them" is referring to one of those two. I never said U didn't re-use music extensively, just said that it had some new music alongside that extensive re-use.

To be fair, when the surface of your game is what you're showing off you have to make it look new and interesting.

Agreed. I just get bored that it's all people remember. I don't BLAME them for it, but it skews their opinion too much when they have no recollection of the actual level design. It's just as much Nintendo's fault for the repetitive visual design but... I was able to look past it why can't everyone else. *grump*

What?
No I'm sorry, what?
What????

Okay first off, to go back to the quote above this one, Mario 3. The P-meter was absolutely useless unless you had the Racoon power-up. I will admit that.

But to say that Mario World's spin jump, spin attack, wall running, along with the extra mobility and agility Mario had in the air is nothing but inconsistent, even though the entire game is built around the way Mario controls, is....you're telling me to go back and play NSMB, but I think you need to go back and play World.

Okay, I agree to this, I understand now what you want a bit more, but I don't see how they can add even more to this moveset or do completely different stuff every single game. There's only so much you can justify without power-ups.

I know you're half joking, but I have to clarify, I don't necessarily want or require each and every Mario game to control differently. But at least spice it up a bit if you're gonna use the same gameplay over and over again, which they did do with Wii.

Then we're in agreement here. Again I'll re-iterate that my main point was that I dislike how people talk about NSMB as if it did nothing new. To bring this all back to the topic at hand, what set me off was the comparisons to NSMB from Yoshi's New Island - because Yoshi's New Island reuses stuff on a colossal level compared to NSMB, so I felt people were being way too harsh on NSMB and misremembering just how many new ideas it did have. Meanwhile New Island looks like it could be done on a Yoshi's Island SNES level editor for the most part.

I bought NSMBDS back when it launched, played through it multiple times, recently played through it again last year when I lost my old copy and bought it again. I'd say I've beaten it about 4 or 5 times.

Wii I've only beaten three times. Haven't played since 2010.

2, I've played through 2 1/2 times, just played some coin rush couple weeks ago.

U I beat twice, haven't played since 3D World cause I sold it.

Oh, well since we're extremely generalizing based off of nothing but two posts, I'll assume you haven't played the classics for many years, only play the NSMB games whenever you need your Mario kick, and you would much rather play the NSMB games then ever go back to those outdated old Mario 8-bit titles.

I'm sure.

Actually I played through the entirety of Mario All-Stars + World over the past month and had a blast. =U Only finished the other day. In fact I got really into the Lost Levels and was sad when I finished. If I hadn't played so recently I'd be less confident in saying that the old games and NSMB introduce new gimmicks and have unique levels the same amount. I'd actually say Mario 3 re-uses gimmicks and enemies far more liberally than NSMB. Mario World's about equal. Though I do play the NSMB games more often yes.

Though the amount you've played NSMB games would surprise me that we don't share the view that the levels were good and unique but... I think we've... awkwardly and slowly deduced that we agree that NSMB level design WAS GOOD and the games did introduce new things, which is all my original point was. If you were actively denying 90% of stuff from my grand detailed level list as not making levels new and unique I'd not understand how you could after clearly playing NSMB a decent enough amount. But you were mostly just pointing out the ones that aren't unique/new (which I never claimed them to be).

And by the way, I never played SMB1 or 3 till 2007 since I never had an NES. So no, I don't have those "fond fond  90's nostalgia driven childhood blind googles" memories that you seem to be insisting I do.

Just saying.

Eh, I see you don't mention World there though which you seem far more praising for. Understandably so, it's a fine game, one I have no hangups with people saying it's the definitive Mario game (even if it isn't for me).

So just to round up one last time (and to try and keep on topic to Yoshi), the reason I got so passionate here is people comparing NSMB to Yoshi's New Island, when they are in whole different leagues regarding how much they reuse past gimmicks and concepts. NSMB is not just regurgitating the past with "a sprinkle" of new ideas. Yoshi's New Island is.

Guys, guys, guys. I just found out the biggest crime that this game has committed.

NO FUZZIES

And you know what that means

NO TOUCH FUZZY, GET DIZZY

touchfuzzygetdizzy.jpg

The game rehashes basically everything except the one thing that genuinely would have been worth bringing back for a laugh. Way to miss an opportunity, Nintendo.

And yes I realise it was probably cut due to being like a drugs reference or something, goddam censorship

Welp, there goes my reason for buying the game.

So there is this headcanon going around that mario is in the pipe that has eyes.

Well...

Let's just say the pipe's identity becomes a bit clearer towards the end.

Or, if you really want to find out now...

No headcanon required.

ipuu03.png

Another ridiculous and insulting thing about this excuse of a final boss:

In the original Yoshi's Island, Giant Baby Bowser is a menacing creature with his face partially covered in shadow. Probably the scariest and most impressive final boss of Mario's history, a final boss that s*its all over all of those Giant Bowsers seen today.

Here, he's just Baby Bowser's head photoshopped on Adult Bowser's body. And he looks pathetic.

Also... these "real" parents are the same as the fake ones in the intro! What the hell?