Awoo.

Yoshi's New Island (3DS)

Detective Shadzter

playing yoshi's new island. It not as bad as people are throwing it to be. The graphics look great on the screen and the model are not too bad. This game is mostly about exploration so if you dont do that then it will go by quick. the music is meh at best. I'm up to world 1-3. And I liked the contorl of the minecart. This game is one where if you like it buy it, on the fence or curious rent it

Naoto Ohshima (creator of Sonic) drew Yoshi to celebrate the game's release! Awesome stuff.

In a world where Sonic upstages Mario...

• Thumbs Up 1

Naoto Ohshima (creator of Sonic) drew Yoshi to celebrate the game's release! Awesome stuff.

Ha, that's pretty cool. I've actually heard a few people saying around the web that some Sonic Team staff (not sure if present or past) helped to work on this game... which depending on your outlook, and assuming it's actually true, might be another factor as to why this game is a bit mediocre laugh.png seriously though, anyone know of any concrete details on this? Would certainly be interesting for it to have been a mix of Arzest, NSMB developers and a sprinkling of Sonic Team.

EDIT: Just looked it up, appears Naoto Oshima himself worked on this at least. Should have worked that out for myself seeing as he drew that picture laugh.png

Apparently I quoted too much so your stuff is in italics, mine is bold.

No offense but you kinda did go a little overboard on the whole quote dissection thing yesterday...but whatever.

Oh my god. You pretty much complained about all the ones that I WASN'T defending. I'm finding it hard to point this out in a way that doesn't insult you. Regarding all the ones that you complain appeared in earlier games, I am pointing out what makes each level unique.

If you weren't defending them, then you shouldn't have listed them.

My original statement was never that every level felt or played the same, but that not every level introduced a new gimmick or concept as you had originally implied. For some reason you took that as "Every level is the exact same and is not unique". You should've just listed only the levels that you felt had introduced new concepts and level gimmicks, instead of listing every level only to make your list seem bigger.

Also it would've cut out 30 minutes of making me watch all of them on youtube to confirm if they were new or not.

Also apparently things that give each level their own identity with a brand new gimmick every other level isn't enough for you, EVERY level must introduce something new.

Read statement above.

So what did Mario 3 and World's 1-1's do that was unique?

To be blunt, they're different. In NSMBWii it's "Oh it's DS's 1-1, but with rolling hills!" and in NSMB2 it's Oh it's DS's 1-1, but with music blocks!" Mario 3 and World's 1-1 don't try to be SMB1's 1-1, they do their own thing. They don't have the same castle in the background, or music and whatnot, they're levels that don't have to assume the person's never played a Mario title before. NSMBU learns from this by making 1-1 feel and look different as well.

First of all there was much longer time between all these games than between the NSMB games. And I still think consistency is fine.

Well to be a nerd real quick, SMB1 was 1985, Lost Levels was 1986, SMB2USA was 1988(USA), Mario 3 was 1988, and World was 1990. That's a five year timespan, as well as only a one year difference from 1 to lost levels, 3 for USA and 3, and 5 for World.

NSMB1 was 2006, Wii was 2009, 2 and U were 2012. 6 year timespan, and three years apart for each minus the last two. So the originals had less of a gap than the NSMB games, but obviously that's because of how long it took to develop games back then compared to now.

And consistency's fine. Never said it wasn't.

I just meant it was irrelevant in the sense that -it- didn't build upon the Mario formula as a new game.

Fair enough.

It's just the impression I get by people who say they introduce nothing new

Well like I said earlier, the core gameplay and style of NSMB is new, but on the surface it just looks like they've been doing the same thing for 6 years. We play the games all the time, so we know that's not true, but let's be honest. If you played like one NSMB game, and then just look at the rest you'd probably think they're all the same too. It's the same stuff I see people do with series like Halo. I know each game changes the core gameplay and concept and introduces new features and whatnot, but to someone who's only played one or two, it might just look the same.

I'm talking about Halo in a Yoshi topic. This is a sign that this argument needs to end man.

I guess I just genuinely don't see them sticking with this formula much longer. I'm glad I have hundreds of levels to play with this solid gameplay, but I'm just an optimist. I'm sure 2D Mario in 10 years time will play as differently as it did 10 years ago.

At the very least if they did announce a new NSMB game, I'd go into it more optimistic than before. Since they did at least try to change the surface of NSMBU, and tried to make it look different as well as play different.

Again I'll re-iterate that my main point was that I dislike how people talk about NSMB as if it did nothing new.

Yes yes! I found my way out of this argument!

Uh I mean, yes I agree. I never said NSMB doesn't do anything new, my main point I was trying to get out was that not everything it does is new, as I had gotten the impression from your post that everything it does IS new.

Misunderstanding, we can stop now- aw shit there's more...

So just to round up one last time (and to try and keep on topic to Yoshi), the reason I got so passionate here is people comparing NSMB to Yoshi's New Island, when they are in whole different leagues regarding how much they reuse past gimmicks and concepts. NSMB is not just regurgitating the past with "a sprinkle" of new ideas. Yoshi's New Island is.

We both like NSMB, we both feel they add new things to the table. Alright, I think we're done here. If I didn't reply to one of your responses it either means I agree or have nothing to say on it in general.

Now we just gotta wait for someone else to come in and start arguing about how Yoshi's New Island adds new core gameplay and concepts.

So yeah that was a thing, anyway getting back onto topic I just saw the final boss video

Wow, they literally copy-pasted the first half with Kamek and Baby Bowser's first phase. They even copied the dialogue from the original.

The second phase was just a poor man's Giant Baby Bowser, I mean for god's sake it looks like they just took the NSMB2 model and pasted Baby Bowser's face onto it.

And holy shit, Adult Bowser had me laughing for a good minute. Just the explanation given "WARPING THROUGH TIME AND SPACE, KING BOWSER APPEARS!!!" Like what did Bowser just randomly decide to fuck with his past self and just travel back in time?

And cmon, that's the NSMB2 model of Bowser, WHICH WAS ALREADY THE NSMB WII MODEL.

THEY RE-HASHED A MODEL THAT WAS ALREADY A RE-HASH OF A RE-HASH

C'mon Nintendo. This is a new low for Yoshi.

• Thumbs Up 1

That awkward moment when the Sonic Lost World Yoshi's Island DLC looks and plays better than this....

• Thumbs Up 9

Now we just gotta wait for someone else to come in and start arguing about how Yoshi's New Island adds new core gameplay and concepts.

Well, this game does have that Mega Eggdozer thing going for it. That kinda sorta counts for something, yes?

I look at that drawing and think it would have really been a new, and cool, thing if THIS Yoshi was the main character in New Island.

The Yoshis in YI and YIDS were all "Gotta get this guy back to his brother." This Yoshi in particular has a Boshi-level of "Yeah, I know I'm awesome" attitude going for him, and it would have been brilliant to have that type of character be seen in the animations. Use Baby Mario as an ends to a means in proving he's badass amazing to the rest of the Yoshis, but as he's going through the island and bonds with Mario, he becomes more humble and appreciative of the little guy, and the role of the other Yoshis in the relay system he may have regrettably signed up for. Development.

This could have been a thing. I wish this could have been a thing. Dammit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah the game's out.

So.....did anyone take one for the team and buy it?

I did, and it's actually not bad. It's not original Yoshi's Island quality, but I find it to be better than DS (maybe perhaps due to the multiple babies thing just being bullshit).

That awkward moment when the Sonic Lost World Yoshi's Island DLC looks and plays better than this....

Looks better? Yeah. Plays better? Pfftch.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh yeah the game's out.

So.....did anyone take one for the team and buy it?

I bought it as well like Ralph did. I like it so far. I got up to the fortress fight with kamek. Honestly the game is entertaining and I'm enjoying finding everything. I like the hot air ballom and minecart transformations. The art looks better on the screen tthan in anyrhing that we have seen. Thw music, let me just it is meh at its best. This is definitely a game where you have to try it to see if you likw it. So i would recommend a rent to those on the fence or curious. I will proudly say I got my copy for $10. Thanks to some certificates from Best buy. Because while I like the game I will say the price is not right fpr it
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wow that's really what this game looks like?  OK, I guess.  I mean, it only looks like a CDi game, or ironically, like one of those prerendered donkey kong games.  How did this get released looking like this?

And playing through an entire platformer using the smash bros style yoshi vocalizations would alone be a deal breaker.  

I looked at some screenshots on Miiverse. I actually think the game's graphics don't look half bad with the 3D turned on. 'Course, that's different from seeing it in motion.

*checking price for the first time* 45 bucks!? Lol fuck that, I was gonna buy it one day but its not worth that much, and its probably a short game, even after collecting everything. So yea, when it drops I'll get it.

I keep seeing people say the graphics in this game are ugly... I don't get it. It looks good to me. Maybe the foregrounds are a bit too flat, but other than that I actually really like that painted texture everything has in this game.

*checking price for the first time* 45 bucks!? Lol fuck that, I was gonna buy it one day but its not worth that much, and its probably a short game, even after collecting everything.

So yea, when it drops I'll get it.

Its of equal length to the original with 6 worlds and 8 regular levels and I think 2 bonus levels

I keep seeing people say the graphics in this game are ugly... I don't get it. It looks good to me. Maybe the foregrounds are a bit too flat, but other than that I actually really like that painted texture everything has in this game.

The backgrounds are actually really nice. They're all similar to that one haunted swamp stage in NSMBU.

I looked at some screenshots on Miiverse. I actually think the game's graphics don't look half bad with the 3D turned on. 'Course, that's different from seeing it in motion.

It looks pretty good in motion, the best bit is actually the background and the stage elements themselves, though. The stuff really does look like a better version of what they were going for in Yoshi's Island. It would have been absolutely gorgeous if Yoshi and all the enemies and such were 2D Sprites pastel style, but I can see why they did models since they "pop" more.

• Thumbs Up 3

Its of equal length to the original with 6 worlds and 8 regular levels and I think 2 bonus levels

I haven't actually finished the original, but I remember it being really difficult.

I'm really not getting most of the hate for this game, to be honest.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through, and whilst I can certainly understand and agree with most if not all of the criticisms made against it, I don't think they spoil the game anywhere near as much as a lot of people are saying. 

• Thumbs Up 3

So, I bought this game a couple days ago. Is it as good as the original? No. But then again the original is the greatest game I've ever played so that's hard to pull off. I'm still having quite a bit of fun with it however, despite it's flaws.

It looks pretty good in motion, the best bit is actually the background and the stage elements themselves, though. The stuff really does look like a better version of what they were going for in Yoshi's Island. It would have been absolutely gorgeous if Yoshi and all the enemies and such were 2D Sprites pastel style, but I can see why they did models since they "pop" more.

Yeah, I think graphics'-wise, the backgrounds are the best parts. Some of them actually look pretty damn good. And even the character models look better when you view them on the actual 3DS.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I have a question for those who have the game. What is the purpose of the shiny Fly Guy at the end of world 1-3 cave of tbe nipper plants

I beat the game, and I'll just briefly put some impressions here. I don't really get the vitriol over this game now that I've bought it and played it. It's not terrible, it's not even mediocre. It's good, but not as amazing as the original Yoshi's Island was. It is, however, better than any of the other games in the Yoshi series that also failed to come close to the pinnacle that was the original. The stage design is good, in fact that was the case in New Super Mario Bros. 2 as well (the team of which helped with this) while the boss fights were on the weaker side (same case with NSMB 2). They are, however, better than they were in YIDS.  I feel like weak bosses were always a thing of the Super Mario series though, with pretty much Giant Baby Bowser in YI being one of the only exceptions. I don't give number ratings, so don't ask, but I will say if you loved Yoshi's Island you will at least like this game, despite the flawed bosses. The music even is good save for the parts where the composer insisted on kazoos (perhaps to make it sound more child like), and yes it is all different versions of the main theme which is actually good; any issues are instrumental. There's this really good version of it that plays in World 6 (final world), which is a nice change of pace from the typical lava world music you hear in most Mario games these days. Sadly, I can't seem to find it online.

Edit:

Here's the aforementioned song: 

It's right at the start, stage 6-1. It seems to play in any outside area in World 6. The acoustic guitar shows that it's certainly not a bad composition at all. Also, not seeing the whole "game is so easy it's boring thing", since it uses instant kill obstacles more so than the original, and now Chomps are upgraded to instant kill. Also, collecting the items takes knowledge of the stage and skill (the whole selling point of the Yoshi series is that it's a slower game that favors exploration, this game makes you work to find the flowers and red coins like it should).

• Thumbs Up 3

Also, collecting the items takes knowledge of the stage and skill (the whole selling point of the Yoshi series is that it's a slower game that favors exploration, this game makes you work to find the flowers and red coins like it should).

I agree. This game seems to pride itself on exploration.