Awoo.

Yoshi's New Island (3DS)

Detective Shadzter

We can't even get Daisy and Waluigi as adults in a platformer with a storyline what hope would baby versions have.  8C

Aye. Wario in 64DS and as a Baby in YIDS was surprising enough. Waluigi and Baby Daisy are spawned form party games. I doubt they'll ever become elements of the of non-party games really. 

Aye. Wario in 64DS and as a Baby in YIDS was surprising enough. Waluigi and Baby Daisy are spawned form party games. I doubt they'll ever become elements of the of non-party games really. 

right their extra characters for party games. Especially Waluigi, Daisy was a damsal in distress in Super Mario Land. so maybe she has more of a chance but mostly unlikely.

I'd rather not have the horrible backtracking level design/baby switching of YIDS return. Just keep it to Baby Mario & Luigi please.

One more wish: Please, please let them not try to rehash the iconic Baby Bowser finale boss fight.  Do Giant Kamek or something instead.  There is absolutely no way they can top the original, and YIDS's take on it was simply embarrassing.  I know they will redo it, though, because... well, just thinking about it, the original is really well-suited to 3D.

• Thumbs Up 2

One more wish: Please, please let them not try to rehash the iconic Baby Bowser finale boss fight.  Do Giant Kamek or something instead.  There is absolutely no way they can top the original, and YIDS's take on it was simply embarrassing.  I know they will redo it, though, because... well, just thinking about it, the original is really well-suited to 3D.

Hahaha

You'll get a giant Bowser fight and you'll like it.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I guess no one pointed out the art style and even character models are from the opening of the original game? Edited by PSI Aqua
  • Thumbs Up 2

That still looks better than this game so far. It doesn't change my mind about the visuals at all.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hahaha

You'll get a giant Bowser fight and you'll like it.

Like Hell!  They can enhance the original with totally logical 3D features all they like - I never have my 3D slider on.  Beat that, Nintendo.

• 1 month later...

Yoshi's New Island

So I was waiting to see how it turned out. The verdict? Gameplay look good. Music is meh. Graphics are vile.

• Thumbs Up 1

The graphics sure aren't the original, but I like the claymation vibe.  Nice to see a classic enemy as the first(?) boss, too.  Yep, as was fairly guessable, this is more or less a New Super Mario Bros. take on Yoshi's Island, and they're not trying to hide it.

Still love those painted backgrounds. Though it's true the overall package would look better if the character models were painty looking as well.

But yeah I think the game ought to be pretty good. Did we ever find out who's making it? And what happened to Yarn Yoshi U for that matter?

Edited by Iwata-Kong

ew, those graphics are so unpleasing to the eye.
I know graphics aren't everything, but.....

I'm not really looking forward to this...

On an art style note, the fact sheet for the game (ultimately from the Nintendo E3 site, but presently circulated all over the place) says that "different worlds feature a variety of art styles, including oil, watercolor and crayon."

I'm not keen on Yoshi's look either, but I think it's more reminiscent to Yoshi's Story than Yoshi's Island. Everything else though like the backgrounds and stuff are very nice.

Well he's gotten more animated now that in the previous showing. That is a good thing. Still looking forward to this

Yoshi's New Island? They're really calling it Yoshi's New Island?!

Screw this, I've lost all interest in this game. The graphics look pretty unappealing to me and the whole thing reeks of an NSMB-style rehashing of the original Yoshi's Island (which really isn't helped by the game's title)... unless it somehow gets phenomenal reviews, I think this is going to be just as forgettable as the last Yoshi's Island game on DS.

Not gonna lie, if they hadn't released a new trailer today, I'd have forgotten this game even existed. And I would have been happy.

• Thumbs Up 7

This game is so disappointing. Yoshi's Island is one of my favourite games of all time yet Artoon just don't get what made the first game so good.

Yoshi's Island DS was so forgettable, this looks to be heading in the exact same direction. Yoshi Touch and Go had a better overall art and music direction for fucks sake.

This game is so disappointing. Yoshi's Island is one of my favourite games of all time yet Artoon just don't get what made the first game so good.

Yoshi's Island DS was so forgettable, this looks to be heading in the exact same direction. Yoshi Touch and Go had a better overall art and music direction for fucks sake.

It's not being made by Artoon. It's actually by... Arzest? Yeah, I don't know either. Looking it up though... oh lol. It's still Naoto Oshima! After some of the other Yoshi games he left Artoon and formed Arzest with some more former SEGA and Artoon employees. I find it funny that Sonic's creator is know pretty much the head of a Mario series. And he's doing a fucking awful job of it too.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

At least we have the yarn Yoshi game. That one seems to be more of a follow-up to Yoshi's Story, which to be honest I preferred over Island even though I played Island way more due to it being one of my first GBA games. It's a good game, but the baby is obnoxious. I've never been too excited for any Yoshi games with babies in them.

So yeah, it's basically Yoshi's Island DS 2.  Even if people don't like the graphics, though, I think they're at least more interesting and are trying something different to most other titles.  I'll probably get it, although I doubt it'll be a favourite.  Maybe not having the other babies will allow them to focus the gameplay a bit better.

Interesting that, according to the trailer and demo footage, the bat boss is fought in a cave rather than a castle, but that could just be for the purposes of preview material.  Might be an indicator that they're switching things up, and that would be good as the game will really need it, but it'd be a risk to feel certain about that.