Awoo.

Yoshi's New Island (3DS)

Detective Shadzter

I still think the game looks cute.

Would I be willing to pay $60 for it new?  No.  But it looks all right.  I guess I can see why some people might not like the graphic style, but I honestly don't see anything too wrong with it.

Cute, but not amazing.

• Thumbs Up 2

Game's due out in 2014 in Europe and the US.

18l.jpg

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=204988

Good let's hope this game cooks a little more in the oven. Also It seems that signs are pointing to a Year of Yoshi next year. I mean Yoshi's New Island is coming next year. Yarn Yoshi was not mention so it must be coming next year, and Miyamoto expressed that he 'might' be interested in working on a Yoshi game.

So according to Tezuka. This game is a direct sequel to Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. That means either Yoshi's Island DS came after or they were trying to erase it from the canon.

So according to Tezuka. This game is a direct sequel to Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. That means either Yoshi's Island DS came after or they were trying to erase it from the canon.

Seeing as most people had already forgotten Yoshi's Island DS even existed, I think it's already done that to itself really.

And if it's a direct sequel, why not call it Yoshi's Island 2? Heck, call it anything but Yoshi's New Island. That's such a horrible, generic, rehash-y name. I've got so little interest in this game at the moment, it needs something to entice me, and even a silly thing like a half-decent title might get me a bit more intrigued.

• Thumbs Up 1

...Yoshi's New Island?

It's like, as if they lost the ability to come up with good names all of a sudden-

Super Mario 64 DS

Mario Kart 7

Super Mario 3D Land (Really just that the title could have a bit of a SMB3 pun to it, really)

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Yeeeeaaaaahhh the names haven't been the best for a bit.

Edited by Korg M1

Or more likely, there isn't really a Yoshi's Island series canon and neither Yoshi's Island DS or Yoshi's New Island contain anything to contradict each other.  They will both be self-contained adventures which take place after the original, but other than that it won't matter at all.

>Mario/Yoshi game

>Canon

So I watched the trailer on 3DS, looks a fair bit better there, though if you just don't care for the style it probably still won't sell ya.

Looking at the trailer again, it seems as if there isn't any way to distinguish between regular coins and red coins, which is going to make collecting all of them a special little world of Hell.  I'm very confident that in the original, they were tinted slightly differently, so you could just about pick them out of a crowd.  Although, when you think about it, it doesn't really make any sense that they're only red when you collect them.  And this is kind of nitpicky, but Yoshi appears to be kind of... his idle animation looks a bit too rapid to me.  I want to say that he was a bit slower or a bit less animated in the original.  Other than that, I think I actually quite like the graphics, which makes me one of a select few, and I'm fairly keen to see the different art styles of the other worlds.  I won't argue that everyone else should like them, though.  Also, I hope all the bosses are culled from original Yoshi's Island enemies that didn't make boss appearances.  I'm not sure how many there are, though.  Shy Guys, most conspicuously (the Stilt Guy mecha from DS wouldn't I think count).  Maybe those sports fellows.  Bandits.  Hmm, those are all humanoid masked enemies...

What is bothering me, though, I've finally realised, is the music in the trailer.  I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that it's either title screen only or trailer only, as it doesn't fit the levels at all.  For one thing, it's a bit too piercing, whereas Yoshi's Island music was originally a bit more... not ambient, exactly, but muted.  It wasn't overpowering, which is good, as you'd usually be hearing it for quite a long time while exploring the wide open levels.  Whereas the trailer music I wouldn't want to listen to for very long.  But the bigger problem is that tonally it's totally unfitting.  It's like baby's first Yoshi's Island TV show for small children.  Visually you might think that it's appropriate to the game, but Yoshi's Island has traditionally been quite difficult.  The original had music that was kind of jaunty and overplayed its themes a bit, but that was its concession to the childish aesthetics of the game, and it didn't really feel like it was talking down to the player.  Whereas the trailer tune seems fairly infantile in its sound and too slow and plodding in its pace.  It worries me to think that that's in any way representative of the music in the rest of the game.  To the extent that I'd be happy if anyone could convince me otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looking at the trailer again, it seems as if there isn't any way to distinguish between regular coins and red coins, which is going to make collecting all of them a special little world of Hell.  I'm very confident that in the original, they were tinted slightly differently, so you could just about pick them out of a crowd.  Although, when you think about it, it doesn't really make any sense that they're only red when you collect them.  And this is kind of nitpicky, but Yoshi appears to be kind of... his idle animation looks a bit too rapid to me.  I want to say that he was a bit slower or a bit less animated in the original.  Other than that, I think I actually quite like the graphics, which makes me one of a select few, and I'm fairly keen to see the different art styles of the other worlds.  I won't argue that everyone else should like them, though.  Also, I hope all the bosses are culled from original Yoshi's Island enemies that didn't make boss appearances.  I'm not sure how many there are, though.  Shy Guys, most conspicuously (the Stilt Guy mecha from DS wouldn't I think count).  Maybe those sports fellows.  Bandits.  Hmm, those are all humanoid masked enemies...

What is bothering me, though, I've finally realised, is the music in the trailer.  I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that it's either title screen only or trailer only, as it doesn't fit the levels at all.  For one thing, it's a bit too piercing, whereas Yoshi's Island music was originally a bit more... not ambient, exactly, but muted.  It wasn't overpowering, which is good, as you'd usually be hearing it for quite a long time while exploring the wide open levels.  Whereas the trailer music I wouldn't want to listen to for very long.  But the bigger problem is that tonally it's totally unfitting.  It's like baby's first Yoshi's Island TV show for small children.  Visually you might think that it's appropriate to the game, but Yoshi's Island has traditionally been quite difficult.  The original had music that was kind of jaunty and overplayed its themes a bit, but that was its concession to the childish aesthetics of the game, and it didn't really feel like it was talking down to the player.  Whereas the trailer tune seems fairly infantile in its sound and too slow and plodding in its pace.  It worries me to think that that's in any way representative of the music in the rest of the game.  To the extent that I'd be happy if anyone could convince me otherwise.

I think that the idle animation was a tad slower but still the same. At least Yoshi is animated in this go around he was dead still in the reveal trailer. I'm still anticipating this game so I hope it stay or get better.

You know... ill love to play any Yoshi game, but hell.... Yoshi Yarn looks more appealing then this game. I really sense "boring" and just dull from this game. Out of all the 3DS games out this year? And soon to come out? This is at the bottom of my list. -_-

That is the dumbest fucking name they could have called this game.

Expect New Wario Land, New Mario Tennis, and New Mario Strikers at next year's E3. Hell, maybe even New Super Metroid if we're lucky.

• Thumbs Up 1

At this point the name is the furthest from my mind. I've been sensitize to the "new" moniker that I don't really care if its in the title anymore. We can even have a Sonic New World and it wouldn't matter either. 

Expect New Wario Land, New Mario Tennis, and New Mario Strikers at next year's E3. Hell, maybe even New Super Metroid if we're lucky.

*Wario's New Land, Mario's New Tennis, Mario's New Strikers

I loved Yoshi's Island, and yet somehow, Yoshi's Island 2 simply wasn't my thing. This looks far worse than Island 2 by comparison, so I doubt I'll have any interest in it.

Edited by Cyalume

I think that the idle animation was a tad slower but still the same. At least Yoshi is animated in this go around he was dead still in the reveal trailer. I'm still anticipating this game so I hope it stay or get better.

Okay, that's a positive note.  I mean, it was fairly obvious the game wasn't finished or else we'd have a release date before 2014, but now I can imagine that some of the things bothering me will be changed before the release (e.g. indistinguishable red coins).

It's part of Nintendo's extremely cautious and conservative streak lately.  Everything has to be given the blandest and most derivative name possible, and the blandest and most derivative presentation possible, in an attempt to capitalise on familiarity and nostalgia rather than risk putting people off by trying anything remotely new.  Hence also Mario Kart 7 and 8, Super Smash Bros. Wii U / 3DS, Super Mario 3D Land/World, and so on.  I know the games will be good, but I wish that visually they weren't such a desperate retrenching.  The Hell of it is, it works.  I'll probably buy this, and I'd definitely buy a New Wario Land if it existed (and I cross my fingers in the hope that it is inevitable).  We just wish they were actually new, right?  Hopefully they'll eventually figure out that this isn't doing them any favours, probably once the Wii U's in a bit safer a spot.

Maybe Yoshi goes to a new island in this. :/

They did have a bit of a problem with this.  They can't really call it Yoshi's Island 2 as that creates a bit of confusion with Yoshi's Island DS, which was also going to have that name and more or less is YI2.  The question would be raised.  But by the same token, Yoshi's Island 3 is even more confusing, and they don't want people to feel like they've missed out.  Yoshi's Island 3D has the worst of both worlds because it implies it's just a remake, something which the visuals thus far do nothing to convince people otherwise of (although I hope that screenshots of later worlds will do something to allay this).  New Yoshi's Island also has a remake-y sort of sound about it.

In an ideal world, the game would have had a unique plot or other fresh gimmick that would inspire a title, like just off the top of my head, Yoshi's Forgotten Island, Yoshi's Planet, Yoshi's Lost World.  But instead, we're in a situation where "Yoshi's New Island" actually looks like the only name they could really have given it based on the game they made.  It combines the sense of an update with the clear implication of fresh content.  It sure isn't inspiring, though.

Forgotten Island would've been nice.

By the way, not sure if anyone has checked it out, but the e-shop trailer makes the game look a lot nicer, if you ask me. Yoshi has a slightly drawn-effect on his texture. His feet still look odd, though.

By the way, not sure if anyone has checked it out, but the e-shop trailer makes the game look a lot nicer, if you ask me. Yoshi has a slightly drawn-effect on his texture. His feet still look odd, though.

The eShop trailer makes the game look just as bad.

Here's Footage of the E3 demo with audio.

Okay. here's my impression of what I've seen and heard of so far. The music, imo, seems better than that of Yoshi's Island DS but not up there with the original. It still going for the calmer-to-somewhat dramatic tunes, than the more upbeat soundtrack that Yoshi's Island had. The new Crystal Caverns tune isn't putting me to sleep like YIDS version did. And I do kind of like it so that's good. Would have preferred a SNES-YI Crystal Caverns remix though.

The gameplay looks solid enough, but I expect more here. I understand that this is just a demo, but the main thing that will break this game for me is if they skimp on the level variety. In the original Yoshi's Island, most of the levels had something about them that made them stand out from the next. From the touch fuzzies to the kamikaze chain-chomps to the doors that flatten you in the first boss castle, there was something that made them feel different. Some of them even gave you things to screw around with for fun like the watermelon seeds. (I still think that one of the reasons that YIDS was so forgettable was that they focus more of the babies than anything and their few skills overstayed their welcome.)

So far, I'm all seeing here is Yoshi splitting his sides open with giant eggs and using them to wreck shit. It may have only been from a few levels, but I would have liked it if they had a little more diversity in the demo to help me feel a little more at ease.

I honestly don't mind the art-style. They could have done a better job with the characters -- especially Yoshi's clodhoppers --  but it only reminds me of the opening from the original Yoshi's Island so I'm cool with it. I can still look at those scenes just fine, despite how goofy and dated the characters look in those.

Also, the title is "Yoshi's New Island"? *shrugs.* They can call this game "Yoshi's Islander Island: He Gets Bitches!" for all I care, it just better be good.

It's kind of bugging me that I'm only seeing Green Yoshi. I'm betting that it's only for the sake of the demo, so I'm not worrying about it much. But still, I better see some other colors in later footage.

Overall. I'm not writing this game off as a failure, but I'm weary. If there are some memorable tunes that we haven't heard yet, plus some good level diversity, then I'm totally good for this. Otherwise, I'm going to be upset.

Don't screw this up Azert! This is my favorite character of all time you're messing with here and I can only give so many mulligans!

Edited by Zen YoshiUnity
  • Thumbs Up 1

It looks alright. I like the music a lot too.

The problem here is that I see absolutely nothing that convinces me to buy this new game and not instead play my copy of Yoshi's Island for the GBA.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, the cave music is a lot better than YIDS. It's not the original's wonderful tune, but I like how ominous it sounds - YIDS was way too freaking upbeat. Gameplay looks solid too. I just hope there's more variety. And where are the other colored Yoshis? Seriously, are they captured and you have to rescue them before you can use them? Because I liked playing as the red and light blue and all the other colored Yoshis. =|

This looks so...So boring... Like where's all the eye catching colours? The upbeat music? This is pretty mellow and it would probably send me off to sleep.

And oh My GOD, his feet are horrendous! Why the hell are they so big still??

Yawn, give me anything over this, seriously Smash Brothers is more colourful than this.

This is absolutely depressing. Why can't we have a Yoshi game that actually IS "new"!?

Horrible name, horrible art style that makes Yoshi look like a serial killer, bland-looking gameplay, overused "giant" gimmick that Nintendo shoves into far too many of their rehashes, and their all-too-apparent lazy refusal to make nice sprites instead of bland 3D models. Once again Nintendo relies upon nostalgia rather than solid game design in order to rope in its customers.

And honestly, while graphical quality isn't that important, art direction is. I don't care if it's the best game in the world, if it looks fugly then my enjoyment is drastically lowered. I wish that just once in a while I could see game companies taking full advantage of their hardware to make amazing artwork. How is it that the underpowered SNES had great looking games, but the vastly more powerful Wii, 3DS, and Wii U have these bland-ass crappy graphics that look like plastic?

• Thumbs Up 1

That music is way too calm.  WAY too calm.  It totally lacks any sense of adventure.  It makes the game feel like you're just taking a stroll in the park.  Even the boss theme is totally unthreatening and lacks any sort of punch.  The original's music was way more upbeat and fun to listen to.  If anything, this new stuff seems like it should be in a menu, not actual gameplay.

But hey, I guess the boring music fits perfectly with this incredibly boring looking sequel.

Edited by Gregzilla
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 6 months later...