Awoo.

Yoshi's New Island (3DS)

Detective Shadzter

The alleged different art styles might explain why they've been so stingy with the footage. Even the most recent trailer was like barely over a minute long.

Man, How many times can you accidentally kidnap the wrong baby? Kamek needs some new glasses. Maybe some that you can actually see through.

Maybe it's not Kamek this tiI'm not even going to finish that sentence.

ONM confirm that the Yoshi Egg Case is indeed a pre-order bonus exclusive to GAME:

www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/56785/yoshis-new-island-to-be-released-in-uk-on-14-march/

EDIT: There's also a load of new artwork that you can check out in this album

Some of it just makes jokes like this way too easy though

v5e69h.jpg

I'm rather proud of that, I must say :P sums up my thoughts on the game quite nicely so far I think!

• Thumbs Up 3

Yoshi's New Island "It's a Shell of a Time" Trailer.

Well! Gyroscope-controlled vehicle morphs are the game. Don't really mind this decision, but I swear if they feel any bit clunky like Yoshi's Universal Gravitation, so help me, Nintendo!

• Thumbs Up 2

...didn't we see 90% of that trailer already?

Seriously, I'd love to be excited for this game, but it's like they want me to get completely disinterested.

The trailers so far have had a tendency to emphasise the same things over and over again without providing any significant new content.  How about a glimpse of those promised multiple art styles?  If we're meant to have already seen those, they aren't very distinct.  I quite like the gyroscope idea for panning around the stages, though; that could be really helpful in squirreling out some of the often obscure secrets of Yoshi's Island.  Not so sure about using it for the vehicles, though.

Wait a minute... gyroscopically-controlled mine cart stages?  That reminds me of something...

sonic-4.gif

The previews also mention the following:

- Stork accidentally delivered Baby Mario and Luigi to the wrong house before it lost them over Egg Island

Did... did that just retcon the ending of the original Yoshi's Island, and implicitly Yoshi's Island DS?  That stork is incompetent.

• Thumbs Up 1

Did... did that just retcon the ending of the original Yoshi's Island, and implicitly Yoshi's Island DS?  That stork is incompetent.

Oh well. Nintendo, thanks for ruining one of my favourite endings in videogame history.

• Thumbs Up 2

Looks like the Mario universe employs the Looney Tunes Stork Corp.

• Thumbs Up 6

This still remains as the most underwhelming looking title this year for me, seriously what the fuck why is it so bland, and why didn't they fix Yoshi's boat feet?

I don't know about you guys but I am very excited to watch the same plant grow and throw the same giant egg over and over again.

According to trailers thus far that is what this game is about.

• Thumbs Up 7

Seems to me the game will stay the way it is: a Yoshi's Island game. Jumping, eating enemies, launching eggs and morphing into vehicles all with charming and colourful pastel-like graphics. Sometimes a trailer doesn't factor on how good the final product will end up being, so hey, maybe the game will end up being pretty good!

Won't be a game to pick on day one, but certainly won't scrap it out of my wishlist. =)

Well! Gyroscope-controlled vehicle morphs are the game. Don't really mind this decision, but I swear if they feel any bit clunky like Yoshi's Universal Gravitation, so help me, Nintendo!

Dear God not Yoshi's bloody Universal Gravitation. GOD NO! The tilt controls on that game really sucked... ;_;

NintendoWorldReport's preview of YNI goes into a bit more detail about that retcon of the Yoshi's Island ending:

After a quick recap of the first game, the final screen, where the baby heroes are held high is shown. But then it scrolls down to show the proud new parents. "These aren't our babies!" they exclaim. "WHAAAAT?" The stork screwed up!

You know what?  I've changed my mind.  That actually sounds hilarious - genuinely, mischievously funny as a premise for a carbon copy sequel.  I'll take it.  Incidentally, apparently Bowser (Baby Bowser, I presume) wants to turn Egg Island into a resort, so I hope that they'll actually use that as a design theme for some of the later levels (as in Kirby Mass Attack).

• Thumbs Up 4

What it means is that Yoshi's Island DS actually takes place AFTER New Island then. Wait, why the hell am I talking about timelines in the Mario series.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ugh, I just can't bring myself to be hyped by this game. Maybe if they gave us different music in the trailers?

I don't know what you're all talking about. I've not played the first one (though I don't have an excuse, since I have the GBA version as an Ambassador game on 3DS), but that trailer has me more hyped and showed lots of new stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know what you're all talking about. I've not played the first one (though I don't have an excuse, since I have the GBA version as an Ambassador game on 3DS), but that trailer has me more hyped and showed lots of new stuff.

It kinda makes sense that it's exciting to you if you haven't played the first one.  The giant egg thing and gyro helicopter controls are literally the only new things.  Everything else is reusing gimmicks/enemies/objects from Yoshi's Island SNES and not even in unique clever new ways.

• Thumbs Up 4

I could totally ignore the horrible bland art, if Nintendo fix his fucking boat feet.

Seriously it is so irritating watching his awful run animation when his feet is that BIG, there's no need for it!!

They look about the same to me. You do realise that second pic is a bit bigger than the other, right?

The only thing that really that really bothers me about the game is that it only doesn't really add much new to the game than Giant eggs and new ways to play the vehicle morphs. (So far, at least.)

Otherwise, I'm actually for buying this game. I already have the game pre-ordered because everything else actually looks fine to me. I like the art-style -- and I think it's looks even better in 3D from seeing the trailers on the 3DS -- also the gameplay, at it's worst, seems like Yoshi's Island with huge eggs. Considering how great the original is, that wouldn't be a bad thing at all. I would like more, but I don't think there will be much keeping me from enjoying this game.

Right now, all I want to see is a great variety of level design; which is something I think the original did really well and what Yoshi's Island DS lacked so much so they could shove the babies in. It would be nice if the trailers didn't recycle footage and that same song so much, but If this game gives me this and a great soundtrack, I'll be good to go.

• Thumbs Up 1

not the 2 bottom pics, the TOP pic is the original SNES sprites in game, with radically proportionate feet/boots compared to the bottom 2 screens from New Yoshi's Island, where his feet are grossly out of proportion with the rest of his body.

Even if Yoshi is supposed to have big feet anyway, this looks unnatural and horrible to someone who places the original on a high pedestal.

• Thumbs Up 1