Awoo.

Yoshi's New Island (3DS)

Detective Shadzter

I guess his feet do look bigger compared to the SNES game, but I don't think they're that bad in New Island.

The feet don't bother me that much. (And the original Yoshi's Island is my favorite game of all time. In fact, that game is why Yoshi's my favorite character of all time.) It makes me think of the odd tiny feet from Fire Emblem: Awakening. When I first saw it, I thought it looked weird as hell. But overtime, it didn't phase me at all.

What stands out to me more is that Yoshi doesn't have legs. I think they were trying to mimic the original sprite walking cycle with that, but eh...

• Thumbs Up 1

Regardless of the size of Yoshi's feet (which is just a mere design choice within the game IMO), I am more concerned on the gameplay in general. As long as they can deliver at least the same level variety, gameplay elements and charm factor from SNES Yoshi's Island plus brand-new workable mechanics it'll be good to go; so far they have shown the giant eggs and the now gyroscope-controlled vehicles, but I hope these end up working well on the final version.

• Thumbs Up 4

The feet don't bother me that much. (And the original Yoshi's Island is my favorite game of all time. In fact, that game is why Yoshi's my favorite character of all time.) It makes me think of the odd tiny feet from Fire Emblem: Awakening. When I first saw it, I thought it looked weird as hell. But overtime, it didn't phase me at all.

What stands out to me more is that Yoshi doesn't have legs. I think they were trying to mimic the original sprite walking cycle with that, but eh...

Yoshi didn't have legs in his original sprites, neither did the 3D-ish sprite/model in the opening cutscene...that's why they did that.

not the 2 bottom pics, the TOP pic is the original SNES sprites in game, with radically proportionate feet/boots compared to the bottom 2 screens from New Yoshi's Island, where his feet are grossly out of proportion with the rest of his body.

Even if Yoshi is supposed to have big feet anyway, this looks unnatural and horrible to someone who places the original on a high pedestal.

I don't know, I always thought Yoshi's feet looked kind of stupid in the original too (it's 16-bit though, so it's ok I guess). It's a comparison of weird stump feet to big feet to me. Neither seems clearly better over the other.

Yoshi didn't have legs in his original sprites, neither did the 3D-ish sprite/model in the opening cutscene...that's why they did that.

Yeah... I'm aware of that. I said that -- at least the sprite part -- at the end of that post.

Yeah... I'm aware of that. I said that -- at least the sprite part -- at the end of that post.

I meant that he didn't have legs at all, not just the Walking and Running animations, neither in Mario 64.

I meant that he didn't have legs at all, not just the Walking and Running animations, neither in Mario 64.

I know you meant that, I meant the same thing as well.  I probably wasn't as precise as I thought I was with that sprite statement, but I'm definitely aware the models and sprites from the original Yoshi's Island didn't have legs. I just meant mimic as they tried to follow that style overall -- idle and about. Not just when he's moving left and right, but when he moves his feet in place as well.

Y'know the only thing I liked about Yoshi's Island DS was the running animation.  It was completely out of spirit with the original game but it was... I dunno it looked cool, was really satisfying and adventurous looking.

I have to be honest, and I kind of hate myself for saying this, but as it is I want this game now. It doesn't look to be a bad game so much as it looks like an incredibly lacklustre Yoshi's Island. For all the ugly graphics, boring music and dire lack of originality, the YI formula is still an enjoyable one. If the reviews for the game aren't too bad, I may decide to pick it up sooner rather than later. The big problem is that Arzest (and Artoon, which consists of largly the same group of people) seem to be unable to really create something that captures the spirit of the original and instead just copy the original to a tee. The games aren't poor quality, just kinda... Meh across the board. It's a shame, but could be worse.

• Thumbs Up 3

Holy crap, this game looks completely devoid of inspiration... dare I say even effort? I'm actually kind of shocked to see Nintendo phone it in this blatantly, that's very uncharacteristic of them (New Super Mario notwithstanding).

New Super Mario Bros. U was actually fairly inspired. I think it is related to Arzest, because Yoshi's Island DS, while decent, suffered from similar problems.

• Thumbs Up 6

Y'know the only thing I liked about Yoshi's Island DS was the running animation.  It was completely out of spirit with the original game but it was... I dunno it looked cool, was really satisfying and adventurous looking.

The Regular running/jogging animation or the Full speed running animation?

The Regular running/jogging animation or the Full speed running animation?

Oh, full speed.  Pretty sure is regular walk is as it was on the SNES.

Oh, full speed.  Pretty sure is regular walk is as it was on the SNES.

He didn't do a Jogging animation in the SNES version...it was from fast walk to a sprint. The full speed is the same as SNES, though.

I think the reason for the lack of inspiration and fresh ideas in this game is, sadly, probably because that's not what Nintendo asked Arzest for.  I imagine that the commission was simply to make a new Yoshi's Island - don't rock the boat, stick to the classics, make something safe and comfortable and reassuringly evocative of the original.  People didn't like how the multiple babies were executed in Yoshi's Island DS, but I will give Artoon full credit for trying and I think it was a good idea for how to add variety to the formula.  But variety isn't what they're going for with this game - they basically want Yoshi's Island with 3DS graphics, right down to the title, and with every impression of no new ideas (and I fear that, if they did have any other new ideas, we'd have seen them by now, given that that's what people have been asking for since the game was revealed).  We're meant to look at this and say "Hey, I remember playing this, I guess Nintendo is still the Nintendo from my past," because that's how Nintendo's been trying to respond to their downturn in the past couple of years, by appealing to nostalgia and not taking any risks.  When in fact it's not so much that we want the old favourites again exactly as they were, we want the old favourites with something new and exciting and inventive and surprising.  There's very little point in an interative sequel when it's so easy to get hold of the original, by hook or by crook, and the original pretty much drank its formula dry.  (Note that "formula" may or may not be a baby pun in this context.)

It's going to be so interesting when this game comes out.  Reactions, reviews - I'm really looking forward to seeing how the full game is received.

• Thumbs Up 2

Forced Gyro-controlled vehicles confirmed to be the worst part of the game.

I can't wait for the giant Bowser battle (and there will be one) where you have to use gyro controls to shoot giant eggs at him

• Thumbs Up 3

Forced Gyro-controlled vehicles confirmed to be the worst part of the game.

I can't wait for the giant Bowser battle (and there will be one) where you have to use gyro controls to shoot giant eggs at him

No you'll use the gyro controls to steer the eggs into Bowser like the star finishers in Dream Team.

• Thumbs Up 1

In general I don't think Nintendo ever properly figured out what to do with Yoshi after Yoshi's Story. To me it's hardly a series of note like Wario and Donkey Kong are. Criticize NSMB all you like but at least that set of games has its own identity separate from the older NES Mario titles.

• Thumbs Up 3

Every new bit of information I hear about this game just makes me feel even more apathetic towards it rather than excited. Gyro-controlled transformations? Really? Sure, gyroscope controls for things like aiming in Zelda are pretty nifty, but not just for basic tilting left and right. There's a reason people hated the gyro controls for the Wisps in Sonic Lost World Wii U, and I foresee the same arguments coming up here for Yoshi's New Island on 3DS. These things could quite easily - and more reliably - be controlled by the usual circle pad or d-pad, this just sounds like a pointless gimmick for the sake of having something to flaunt as a groundbreaking new feature.

I will admit though I like the silly little premise they have for this sequel. The stork delivered Mario and Luigi to the wrong house? Excellent. Yeah, it ruins the ending of the first game a bit, but it's at least a genuine reason for Yoshi and the plumbers to set off on a new adventure without being a total rehash of the original. And the fact it's set on a new island too gives it some excuse to call itself Yoshi's New Island I suppose, though I still think it's a horribly uninspired title.

So yeah, I'm sure this game won't be without its redeeming features, but as a whole it looks about as bland as it could get at the moment.

I was somewhat optimistic at first for this game, that it would pull a 3D World and look better as time went by, but now I'm wouldn't be surprised (let alone care much) if this game got mediocre reviews, probably negative if the gyroscope controls are implemented in a awful fashion.

For a game that has the word "New" in the title (*insert NSMB joke here*) nothing about this game tries to stand out in an original or even creative/unique fashion on all fronts-gameplay, music/sounds, artstyle, etc. It's looks like a regurgitation of the past two Yoshi Island games even more than the first three NSMB titles as well as Sonic 4 Episode I. If this game had any shred of creativity or substance that would turn heads, Nintendo really should had shown it a long time ago.

They really shouldn't had made another sequel to Yoshi's Island if they weren't going to bother putting some soul into it. Some people here have been saying this game looks soulless, and as nothing interesting whatsoever about this game has been shown prior to it's (fast-approaching) release date, I have to concede with them.

No you'll use the gyro controls to steer the eggs into Bowser like the star finishers in Dream Team.

And to make it worse, the game won't give you an option to make it easier if you fail dozens of times.

That stork needs to be fired. What if he makes the same mistake again at the end of this game?

What are they gonna call the next one? Yoshi's Newer New Island?

This one might be devoid of new things because they're focusing on yarn yoshi perhaps? Maybe this game might just be to tide people over until the real new game comes out.

If that was the case, why even bother making this game? Should just have focused on Yarn Yoshi, I think Yoshi should just go back to being part of the Mario IP in his games, honestly nothing decent since Yoshi's Island on the SNES, although some prefer Yoshi's Story on the 64 (I personally don't see the appeal).