Awoo.

Yoshi's New Island (3DS)

Detective Shadzter

If that was the case, why even bother making this game? Should just have focused on Yarn Yoshi, I think Yoshi should just go back to being part of the Mario IP in his games, honestly nothing decent since Yoshi's Island on the SNES, although some prefer Yoshi's Story on the 64 (I personally don't see the appeal).

"give and and fall back on Mario" is what caused a lot of folks to yearn for other IPs in the first place though.

• Thumbs Up 1

At least he was used well in the Mario IP, he even got into Sunshine where Luigi didn't, plus he's always in spin-off titles, it's not like Nintendo will just retcon him and his series, or not ever use him ala Star Fox/F-Zero.

While the game does look pretty devoid of inspiration - gyro-controlled transformations just reek of "quick, we have to do something different" - then I really don't think it's impossible to bring some new ideas to the Yoshi's Island formula.  I think the multiple babies of Yoshi's Island DS were a genuinely good idea, even if it wasn't executed very well, and I'm sure there must be things you can do to actually move the gameplay into new territory while preserving its core identity.

Just to take Yoshi's New Island on its own terms, once you start talking about giant eggs, that opens up loads of possibilities involving giant enemies, ways of platforming around them, new obstacles they create, new cinematic opportunities, ways of fighting them.  But if we're talking about eggs, and you want to do something new with them, you could make egg colour important somehow - well, it is possible to get different-coloured eggs that do different things, so why not add more that give you new possibilities and new ways of playing the game?  At that, why not mingle this with the Super Mario World gameplay device of different kinds of enemies giving Yoshi different powers when held in his mouth?  If there are new transformations and new ways of controlling them, then rather than just trying to knock them into the same old 2D paradigm, why not do something vaguely like Kirby Triple Deluxe and have them transcend the 2D line and do something involving moving between layers, or accessing the foreground and background to go through walls and such?

Why not change the structure of the game, at that?  The essential Yoshi's Island gameplay is exploration puzzle platforming - you have large, maze-like levels with multiple routes and multiple areas, often there are puzzles to progress or to access optional items, and all of this is explored through the platforming medium.  Why not try some kind of Metroidvania experiment with linear platforming areas accessed via a larger hub that you have to explore, with your objectives unlocking new areas - a bit like Kirby And The Amazing Mirror, now that I come to think of it.

Heck, if they were going for the claymation look, why not commit to that more strongly?  We get hints of alternative art styles in some of the trailers and screenshots, but they could be doing something much bolder and more distinct.  You could even tack it on to some story gimmick like "Yoshi gets stucked into a picture book or paintings" (you could play on Super Mario 64 or Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin that way).

Honestly, if they were prepared to be brave and just push the boat out a bit, there's a lot they could do rather than just tacking on a scarcely-new element to exactly the same thing as twice before.

• 3 weeks later...

New trailer:

LOL at the stork's face. Also, the sound that Yoshi makes with the flutter wing is interesting.

I think the graphics look really nice. Gameplay does, too. Using the giant egg to weigh you down in the water was pretty cool.

Ehhhhh I'm still not sold on this game. The few new features in that trailer look cool enough, but it just looks like way too much of a retread of the original for my liking and I still think the art style is ugly as hell.

Sorry Yoshi, looks like I won't be paying your New Island a visit any time soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Same here, its not catching my attention, plus, how often those extra powerups will come in? who knows. 

Not a fan of gyroscope controls and those transformation just looks boring. Super yoshi looks cool though.

I will be honest when iwata was talking about how when yoshi gets hit what happens I was kind of sadden how it looked exactly like a scene from the first game. But then I saw the rest I was interested agAin

The new stuff definitely has me interested and the art style has grown on me. Definitely seems worth the £27.85 ShopTo is asking for.

Did anyone see in the portion of the new trailer that it looks like yoshi can transform into a shy guy. Then in the next scene there are two yoshis with baby mario?

Yeah, the latest trailer mad me lighten up on the graphics. I think I'd be alright with them if they just cleaned up some models a bit (especially Yoshis').

So the giant eggs are the main gimmick of this game. That's sad. There's still nothing really making me want to buy this. And Yoshi with wings is a nice way of having the super guide without the super guide.

Also my only reaction to Super Yoshi was "Why isn't Baby Mario turning super?"

I wish that the flutter wings weren't the super guide. i liked that power up in world and I wished to use it in unqiue level design

Random thing but I hate how the GOAL text looks exactly the same as the SNES version, cartooney with outlines.  It completely clashes with the rest of the style, and is the only thing from the original to be left unchanged (they prolly remade it with high resolution obviously but you know what I mean).

• Thumbs Up 1

When did the Yoshi Submarine first show up? I think I remember it from DS, but I haven't really played the original.

When did the Yoshi Submarine first show up? I think I remember it from DS, but I haven't really played the original.

It was in the original along with the helicopter. The jackhammer and mine cart are new. Though I think that the mine crt takes inspiration from the train of the original

If the train became the minecart, I can see that that might have been because the train wouldn't work as well with the gyroscope, as it only had occasional turning choices rather than totally free movement.  In a similar vein, they might have overhauled the mole to dig more freely through the dirt - although given that it's conceptually very similar to the jackhammer it might have been cut.  I'm going to say the car transformation might be out as well as its movement would be similar to the minecart.  Actually, looking it up, apparently the train and car forms were already cut from Yoshi's Island DS?  So yeah, I'm going to guess that those two are gone.  Not so sure about the mole, though.  I hope there are still a respectable number of transformations in the game; apparently the original had five, and DS had three, but I think four or five would be ideal.  Depends on how inventive they get with the gyro controls, I guess; the helicopter and submarine are essentially the same, but the jackhammer is more original, so it'd be nice to see more along those lines.

I wonder why they changed Super Mario to Super Yoshi, who doesn't even look all that super even if he has cool moves.  That said, Super Mario's parachute cape was always annoying as heck to control, so no regrets - and also, at this point, we're playing the game for Yoshi, not Mario.  Mario doesn't really need the limelight.  Perhaps that was their consideration.

• 2 weeks later...

New info: http://www.gonintendo.com/s/223243-yoshi-s-new-island-brand-new-single-player-info

- world 5's opening stage is named ''Brave the Bumpty Blizzard''

- this level has you using penguins to bounce to high places.

- first boss battle has you facing Kamek by throwing eggs at buckets that will fall down and drop on Kamek's head

- second boss involves Kamek transforming a bean into a killer beanstalk

Some small portion of it. So world 5 in a snow world. I hope we at least get 7 worlds here

This game is pretty close, it doesn't feel like its coming in march for some reason.

I'm probably going to end up buying this game out of curiosity and needing a new 3ds game.

And because the core gameplay is pretty much the same and I liked the original one even tho I never finish it. So at least I know that I'm gonna get some joy out of this game.

Some small portion of it. So world 5 in a snow world. I hope we at least get 7 worlds here

As I recall, the original game had six worlds, and DS had five.  I really think six is best.  Well, I wouldn't be opposed to more, though it would risk outstaying its welcome, but having fewer levels than the original game was one of the many weak points of Yoshi's Island DS.  Fortunately, it sounds as if we're getting a minimum of six here.

I strongly dislike original bosses for Yoshi's Island, personally.  I think that if they aren't having giant bosses, they're missing part of the point of Yoshi's Island; the pleasure of the bosses is seeing how each regular monster behaves when made gigantic, what new challenge it poses, how it contrasts to its often pathetic base form.  If it's an original boss then there's no comparison to be made and consequently it doesn't impress - especially because the original bosses in DS were often some random trash like an antlion or enchanted platforms (Giant Mecha Stilt Guy is okay though because it basically is a giant regular enemy, it's just also a robot).  I'll give original bosses a free ride if their base form at least appears as a regular enemy exclusively in their own castle, though, just so long as it appears at all.  Otherwise I don't see why I should care.  I'm okay with Kamek being a boss, though.  About time.  Maybe it's foreshadowing Giant Kamek for the final boss nah of course it's not.

Anyway!  So there's also hot-air balloon Yoshi, huh?  Makes sense; it's pretty much the pneumatic drill in reverse.  Bobsled Yoshi... literally looks like they decapitated Yoshi and stuck his head on skis.  Also, how do you use the gyro to jump.  I'm not sold on it.  I'm also not sold on the fact that the "different art style per world" apparently just refers to not all that different background art styles.  If they have to make different assets for snow world and caves and what have you, they could at least have made those look different, since they had to be made from scratch anyway.  But as usual with these games, they aren't interested in making anything new or original, just remaking something we've seen in identical form a few years before.  See, this is Nintendo's present-gen problem: They took risks with the hardware and played safe with the software, when they should've been doing the exact opposite.

Unlikely personal wish for future Yoshi games: Paper Yoshi as a Metroidvania.

As I recall, the original game had six worlds, and DS had five.  I really think six is best.  Well, I wouldn't be opposed to more, though it would risk outstaying its welcome, but having fewer levels than the original game was one of the many weak points of Yoshi's Island DS.  Fortunately, it sounds as if we're getting a minimum of six here.

I strongly dislike original bosses for Yoshi's Island, personally.  I think that if they aren't having giant bosses, they're missing part of the point of Yoshi's Island; the pleasure of the bosses is seeing how each regular monster behaves when made gigantic, what new challenge it poses, how it contrasts to its often pathetic base form.  If it's an original boss then there's no comparison to be made and consequently it doesn't impress - especially because the original bosses in DS were often some random trash like an antlion or enchanted platforms (Giant Mecha Stilt Guy is okay though because it basically is a giant regular enemy, it's just also a robot).  I'll give original bosses a free ride if their base form at least appears as a regular enemy exclusively in their own castle, though, just so long as it appears at all.  Otherwise I don't see why I should care.  I'm okay with Kamek being a boss, though.  About time.  Maybe it's foreshadowing Giant Kamek for the final boss nah of course it's not.

Unlikely personal wish for future Yoshi games: Paper Yoshi as a Metroidvania.

If its any consolation that pepper looking boss starts out as a small little bean. So ut might appear around its castle as a new enemy

• Thumbs Up 1

If its any consolation that pepper looking boss starts out as a small little bean. So ut might appear around its castle as a new enemy

Aye, that's exactly what I'm hoping for.  At the bare minimum, have a bunch of the beans scattered around the castle, if only in the background.  Just don't have the boss come out of nowhere.