Awoo.

Yoshi's New Island (3DS)

Detective Shadzter

Gonintendo user Nintendan has upload some footages of the game. Here i have the link to the kamek boss fight. There is also a video on the transformation. The music for the transformation is the same as the original. My nostalgia meter went through the roof. Also whoever is the sound director should be fired. That whistle sound is annoying. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D7PuCNe9m9I

• Thumbs Up 1

I know I'll be committing some form of contemporary blasphemy for saying this, but Yoshi's New Island genuinely looks fun, and I'm not one who cares much for Yoshi games to begin with. I suppose I'm going to be in the minority when it comes to this game.

I suppose I understand why people are underwhelmed, though. It's got the "New Super Mario Bros" complex about it. But then again, that never bothered me much, either. I'm just looking for a good old-fashioned 2D platforming adventure. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm actually looking forward to it, too, but the info about the music bothers me. Other than that, it looks alright enough to be excited for it imo.

I like the graphics and think it looks fun, but it's too bad they basically remixed the same 2 or 3 songs over and over. Especially the main theme is everywhere. It's not a bad song, but not that great and this'll just cause it to overstay it's welcome. Especially so soon after DKCTR the lack of variety is noticeable and disappointing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, most definitely. Compared to what DKCR and DKCTF did for the original DKC series, this certainly seems lazy by comparison. 

But I still feel that, unanimously, we'll all have a good time with it either way. It's based off of one of the best platformers, (some would argue THE best platformer) on the SNES, so I trust that it'll at least be a really fun time. 

....might not get it at full price, though.

What bothers me about this and the DS soundtrack is that the original Yoshi's Island had a varied soundtrack, no remixes at all.  The Underground and Castle themes were super atmospheric too (as far as the soundtrack's upbeat style goes) whereas it seems like this game's underground and castle themes are gonna be just as disappointingly minimalistic and cartooney as Yoshi's Island DS'...

Yoshi Star Galaxy from Super Mario Galaxy 2 is as close as we'll ever get to what a Yoshi's Island sequel's soundtrack should be like.

It's funny because Yoshi's Story managed to have a crazy amount of variety and atmosphere in its music despite doing the "everything is a remix of the main theme" angle.  Why is the team behind the YI sequels so bad at this.

• Thumbs Up 1

....might not get it at full price, though.

Same here.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll give this game a chance. But only for the gameplay and level design, which look promising for what I got.

The soundtrack sounds boring, but I can fix it by turning the volume down and replace it with my MP3's music. The graphic, however, can't be helped. While Yoshi's Island DS was just bland, this New Island is really painful to look at for my eyes. It's the 3DS for whatever's sake, it can do way better than this!

And, I'm not the first and I won't be the last to say this, but with this "the stork gave the babies to the wrong parents" bull**** Nintendo loose billion points for me. It ruined my childhood memories, it ruined one of the best and memorable heartwarming moments in the hystory of videogames... heck, he ruined Mario and Luigi's birth!

I wonder what good old NintendoCapriSun thinks about this retcon. Yoshi's Island ending is one of the most precious moments in his gaming life (I mean, listen to him when the credits roll. He's trying not to cry!)

If NCS is feeling even a bit more bad than me for this shameless retcon, I'll hate Nintendo forever.

Honestly yes it retcons the original ending but i like the plot twist. Honestly what other ploy would warranty baby mario's appearance than being a remake of either previous game or snatching the babie again from their homes

I'm not one who cares much for Yoshi games to begin with.

It's based off of one of the best platformers, (some would argue THE best platformer) on the SNES, so I trust that it'll at least be a really fun time. 

I wonder if this is how it felt to be on the other side of Sonic 4.

...uh... no flame-bait intended. Just genuine musing.

I dunno, I just don't see anything in this game, no matter what it's inspired by. You can shoot for the stars and still up an ugly mess.

Wait, is Yoshi's New Island actually equatable to Sonic 4? That's bloody harsh, Soma.

Wait, is Yoshi's New Island actually equatable to Sonic 4?

We'll have to get a finer look at how Yoshi feels to play as, but if DS is anything to go by then I'm not exactly convinced otherwise.

I was more referring to the whole "people who didn't like the original don't see the problem" part, anywho. I'm a big fan of the original Yoshi's Island, and I've hardly seen the poor guy lead a proper title since then.

Seeing as though ive never played yoshi's island, yoshi story is really all I have to fall back on comparisons (which was such a great game) and honestly this one doesn't look too bad, doesn't seem to be doing too much new but it could still be fun especially since besides the one I just mentioned ive never played any other yoshi games.

I didn't like the original Yoshi's Island at all and this just looks even worse.

I love the original yoshi's island it is tied in first play along with DKC2 as my top SNES games with mario kart as a runner up. This game completely took my attention from world that i hardly played it again after I got yoshi's island. The real grip for me in tbis game is the music but I'm generally liking what I have seen

I didn't like the original Yoshi's Island at all and this just looks even worse.

Care to elaborate on the reasons you dont like this game or the orignal cuz that's pretty standoffish just saying that and walking away

Oh, gladly. I'm sorry I didn't do that in the original post.

So, basically, I just wasn't feeling a lot of the game's choices when it came to level design. It's more "open" than a lot of Mario games of it's type and that's probably why I wasn't feeling it. When it comes to Mario I prefer they cut to the chase a majority of the time. The controls also felt pretty clunky with yoshi just breaking into a run automatically being the main thing irking me(this is based off the GBA port so I don't know if this game originally had a run button or not). 

Overall it's kinda hard to pinpoint just what bugs me about this game so much because looking at these complaints they seem far too minor. All I know is that the game can barely keep me for more than a few levels without getting me bored.

I don't think comparisons to Mario are TOO fair since Yoshi is a subseries, like Wario Land and Luigi's Mansion and... well she only got one game but Super Princess Peach.  Though naturally if you're just saying you prefer that kind of platformer to a slow open one like Yoshi then fair do's.

I don't really care much about Yoshi's Island myself, though to be honest my only pet peeve IS that so many people somehow insist on it being a main series Mario game.  The Mario World 2 subtitle was only in the US for marketing reasons.

And has long since been dropped. Wario Land 1 was also called Super Mario Land 3, and yet I don't see anyone insisting that The Shake Dimension is a Mario game.

I so want a new Wario Land game on Wii U now that I think about it, with the same artstyle in glorious HD.

• Thumbs Up 6

And has long since been dropped. Wario Land 1 was also called Super Mario Land 3, and yet I don't see anyone insisting that The Shake Dimension is a Mario game.

I so want a new Wario Land game on Wii U now that I think about it, with the same artstyle in glorious HD.

What you dont want Wario Land U: Clayed!

What's the general consensus on Yoshi's Story, by the way? I thought it was pretty nice that you didn't have to watch after Baby Mario in that one. 

I don't remember much else about it, though. Was it received well? How similar is it to the Yoshi's Island series?

What's the general consensus on Yoshi's Story, by the way? I thought it was pretty nice that you didn't have to watch after Baby Mario in that one. 

I don't remember much else about it, though. Was it received well? How similar is it to the Yoshi's Island series?

I liked that game as a child but playing it now its way to short. There is like five worlds but you only play like two levels in each world and the most difficult levels in a world would only randomly be chosen as one of the two levels once in a blue moon. I dont recall the final battlw too mich but I remember the happy tree being there to gove u a health boost.

GameXplain has posted the full intro:

I see the Yoshis have been taking some home-designing tips from Knuckles.

Why couldn't Luigi be the one going with the Yoshis and Mario gets captured? The Year of Luigi ends on the 18th so this game would of been perfect. 

I find the music to be annoying. especially the yoshi part.

• Thumbs Up 4