Awoo.

Mario Party (3DS)

Debug Ring

467116.png

During the latest Nintendo Direct, a new Mario Party was revealed, on the Nintendo 3DS.

Releasing this Winter, Mario Party 3DS takes a lot from it's predecessors, and add in it's own new games, modes and gimmicks.

Mr. Iwata said this about the game, confirming returning things like dice rolling, board movement and mini-games- "The basic concepts of rolling dice, moving along a board and competing in Mini-Games return"

Though they're keeping some of the old, they seem that they're putting effort in to put in some new, with some of the Mini-games looking rather fun and risky, which is what a party game should be.

Mr. Iwata also confirmed a total of Seven game boards, each with their own unique mechanics and gimmicks. One has a focus on player interaction, one has a gimmick which allows players to "Boost" and double their roll, and another was shown which has players in a Risk-it for a reward circumstance. Some of the boards are also designed for quick, short handheld action, specifically for the 3DS.

As for what was said about new Mini-Games, 81 brand new Mini-games are being developed for the game, presumably specially designed and tailored for the handheld experience.

Player's are unaware what to expect from Multi-player, with the last handheld Mario Party having single-cartridge interaction, and failed to have any wireless modes, yet that was almost six years ago, surely Nintendo knows what they're doing to allow players a full experience in multi-player.

So, anyone looking forward to it? Let the friend losses roll in in the New Handheld 3D experience!

• Thumbs Up 2

Not sure why they'd want to put this franchise on handhelds when the entire point is to play it with friends and family. If the multiplayer's good, that's great, but that's usually harder to organize than just having people over and, well, playing it on a TV screen.

Mario Party players are meant to be within punching distance. 

Edited by Solly
  • Thumbs Up 9

Glad to see it being more traditional after 9. Still haven't played that since I was put off by the weird "Everyone moves together in a car" thing.

I just want online play with maybe cams with friends and voice chat. Is that too much to ask?

• Thumbs Up 3

How hard can it be to include online play? What's to keep someone from taking over a CPU in a game in progress? How about a specific board just for online play that won't last for more than 10 minutes? Come on Nintendo, it's not rocket science :P

I just want online play with maybe cams with friends and voice chat. Is that too much to ask?

Fir Nintendo,yes, that is a lot to ask of them.:P
  • Thumbs Up 1

An online system for Mario Party would be a little tricky, but totally doable.

One player is assigned as game master (the lobby creator).  If someone drops out due to a connection problem, they can either be replaced by a CPU, OR the game is suspended and saved to the game master's data.  The game can be resumed once the identical players have been amassed in a lobby again, or the game master has the ability to drop players if that friend says "sorry guys but I don't think I'll be able to play again for like a week or two" etc.

Not sure what the best way to handle a connection being lost during a minigame would be - perhaps the disconnected player automatically loses the minigame, then the game master has the choice to continue the game from that state, or (if the option to save at such time every round is enabled), they may roll back time to before the minigame's start.

Naturally, all of this would only really be practical with Friends games.  For random games, some sort of condensed mini-game tournament mode or something would be better - perhaps something like Mario Kart Wii where you just play endless random minigames and have an overall rank, quitting when you feel like it (naturally there would be a penalty for ragequitting during a minigame).

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 3

They managed to figure out how to get big boy online play going for Fortune Street, of all things; and games of that take hours to play. Not really any reason they couldn't figure something out for Mario Party.

So yeah, didn't see this posted yet so I'll just leave it here:

Is that a galaxy themed level I see? Awesome! Though I have to say I am a bit put off at the idea of using the camera cards for mini games. It sounds like something that could either work very well or kill the mood of a game fast. This is definitely going to be interesting to see how this turns out.

Well I can say im generally excited, though the assets pretty much being reused mario party 9 stuff and a couple of the levels looking familiar somewhat worries me im sure it will be fine.

• 4 months later...

Full view of the box art:

lFCb5ic_zpsbd3d625a.jpg

Looks like Rosalina and Bowser Jr. might be playable this time around.

Edited by CC14 Blast Mode

The box art is making me want to pick this up but it might end up like how I wanted Mario Party 9 but when I demoed it I decided not to buy it 

No on-line play = no sale for me I'm afraid.

Sad when you think about it. Games like Mario kart 7, Mario Tennis Open, Sonic Generations 3DS, and Luigi's Mansion offer online and this game which fits an online use misses it opportunity.

• Thumbs Up 2

A single Mario Party session would take at least an hour, even on the quickest settings. Lack of online play is not surprising, due to the level commitment one would be required to have to complete it, let alone four people, compared to about 20 minutes to complete a Mario Kart 7 session, and a few minutes to complete a Sonic Generations race.

The amount of player interaction is higher than most too; the game does not go on until that one player hits that dice block, picks a direction, or clicks yes or no. If the player decides to up and leave, other people playing online are left stranded until either that one guy comes back, or the connection fails, in which case the entire Party is done and everyone's time is wasted. At least with MK7, the race ends before last place can cross the finish line.

Edited by Joshua
  • Thumbs Up 1

So is no online confirmed at this point? Because if there's not online that means no sale for me.

Edited by Chaos Warp

So is no online confirmed at this point? Because if there's not that means no sale for me.
I'd love to play a Mario party with online that way I dont have to play by myself anymore

That would suck if there is no online, though to be honest, considering the fact that I just love to make my friends (aka cousin and nephews) play through 50 turn games anyway this might be for the best.

I hope at the very least there will be FULL Single Cart download play for this, like Mario Party DS had.  I really wasn't expecting Mario Party DS to have 100% full playability in Single Cart and it was wonderful that they were realistic enough to appreciate that a £30 entry fee each for multiplayer was ridiculous and thus made the game fully playable (in fact I don't think there was even an option for card to card play, even if it would probably improve load times if nothing else).

Edited by JezMM

• 1 month later...

Well you hoped right Jez
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/35643

The 3DS debut of Mario Party, coming to North America on November 22, will not feature any online multiplayer, according to a Nintendo representative at a recent demo event. Mario Party: Island Tour will, however, be fully playable using one card in Download Play.

The third portable entry in the nearly 15-year-old franchise features 80 mini-games that can be played individually or in one of the 7 game boards. It will also use AR Cards for mini-games and feature StreetPass, though the extent of the StreetPass is unknown as of now.

Mario Party: Island Tour is slated for a November 22 release in North America, a winter 2013 release in Japan, and a 2014 release in Europe.

Looks like I'll be skipping out on this one.

Really Nintendo? In the year 2013 having no online in a game focused on multiplayer is just unacceptable and makes almost no sense.

Nintendo tried Online Play with Fortune Street. It was terrible. Games like Mario Party do not translate well online.

I guess friend lobbies could work or maybe online minigames.