Sign in to follow this  
TCB

The SEGA Pluto (Prototype Console)

What I'd like to know is.. what's the cartridge slot for? Online Genesis games?

Yeah that's what I want to know; it seems to have a cartridge slot and a 'flip-top' disc drive. I think the cartridge slot is to be some sort of 'backwards compatibility with Genesis games and possibly as a save feature (like Ralph has just said). The disk drive (I think) was its main means of content and playing games. It is for the most part a Saturn at its core.

The guy also mentioned it was the heaviest SEGA console he felt. Huh.

Edited by TheChaosBlue

Hmmmm.... If this came out before the Saturn then I predict that Sonic Adventure would be for the Saturn instead of Dreamcast.

Cartridge slot was for the Saturn RAM cart:

ss_4mbram.jpg

And the Saturn save backup cart:

sat_backup_cart.jpg

It was a general expansion slot, like the one on the bottom of the Genesis.

Ah; so a means of having external storage for the console?

External anything. The modem that was released for the Saturn plugged into that slot too.

Think of it more like a PCI slot on a computer rather than a cartridge slot.

Makes sense to me.

Sadly he didn't have the games and/or accessories to go further into the online aspects.

The cartridge slot could also be used for PRO ACTION REPLAY cartridges that worked as the 1MB/4MB card, import converter and also a memory card all in one.  Great for playing those import CAPCOM fighters in arcade quality.

ar4m_shop.jpg

I really like the design of that console.  Really sleek looking.

Edited by Snatcher2047

The second (technically the first) of these prototypes have been found. Brought in flea market for $1. No joke. Plus the lid springs open and won't stay down.

In any case, this guy's pretty lucky to own a piece of lost SEGA gaming right there. He's considering selling it on eBay as well.

Edited by TheChaosBlue

So exactly how many of these are there? I heard there were only two prototypes, but now's there's a third? Are there any other prototypes?

And it's rather interesting that the other missing prototypes were found not too long after the first was revealed.

So exactly how many of these are there? I heard there were only two prototypes, but now's there's a third? Are there any other prototypes?

And it's rather interesting that the other missing prototypes were found not too long after the first was revealed.

They are popping out of the wordwork!

and its proably cause they didnt know what they were sitting on before