Awoo.

Sega promoting Golden Axe, Shinobi & Streets of Rage in France

Badnik Mechanic

This might end up being nothing, in fact I can think of something it could be...

Over in France right now, there is a licensing event called Kazachok Licensing Forum. Sega is there, and they have a huge presence too.

Now Shadzter has already posted some of the France... but since then theres been a new article about Sega at this event... and several other licenses are being promoted.

They include...

Golden Axe, Streets of Rage & Shinobi.

Both Shinobi & Golden Axe had representation in ASRT, Shinobi got his own game recently, Streets of Rage though... other than trophy/achivement titles... no sign of it being active other than those cancelled games which keep popping up.

The full quote is this

Sega also has a presence at the show (stand C03). It's presenting a mix of entertainment brands including the iconic video game character Sonic the Hedgehog, along with classics such as Golden Axe, Streets of Rage and Shinobi.

They clearly say 'Presenting a mix of entertainment brands inclding' this would suggest these brands are there and being shown off. So what the hell are they doing promoting Streets of Rage when it's for the most part considered inactive?

There is one possible explanation. might be Insert Coin, Insert Coin announced last week that they're making some new Sega clothing, and one of the franchises listed was Streets of Rage.

I've tried to find some photos of the event or some kind of explanation, but I can't find any info on the event, let alone Sega being there.

Thoughts?

• Thumbs Up 7

I wish Sega would do more with their Streets of Rage series. It has lots of potential.

All they have been doing with they series is a bunch of re-releases and cancelled games.

SEGA are really trying to expand into the digital market. We also know that they're relying on their older products to keep them going for a while. Looking at the recently announced Castle of Illusion and their new-found attitude towards decent Sonic ports, maybe they're planning on re-releasing some older games? However, it could just as easily be nothing at all. They're forever licensing out that IPs. 

personaly, I wish they would bring back comix zone, and vectorman, just have to wait and see I guess

• Thumbs Up 1

I think this is likely nothing, and at most remakes/ports for digital release. We know SEGAs game. If Insert Coins upcoming products and F4F's Ryo statue are are indication, which I'd guess they are, then SEGAs tapping into the potential money from their old IPs without making new games. It's an easy way to make money. It would be bloody awesome to see them going somewhere with all this though. I'm all for SEGA making their library relevant again.

The only great SEGA games are the old ones(the age when SEGA had hardwares), so no problem keep promoting them, be as good remakes(is already happening), DLCs for Transformed or merch.

I quite enjoyed the Shinobi reboot on 3DS, so I wouldn't mind a similar approach to other IP's, but mass-market them!

• Thumbs Up 2

Damn you, teasing me with Streets of rage possibilities.

I'd love for the series to get another go. The fact that there have been two cancelled games shows that SEGA at least consider bringing it back.

You're probably right though, it's probably something to do with the clothing line or something similar.

here's a thought, maybe Axel orsomeone similar might make it into S&ASRT as dlc?

These licensing expos will almost never announce new games. Whats being shown is likely merchandise. But the question is why are Sega showing off Streets of Rage merch? The only thing I can think of is the Insert Coin shirts.

So it's either Insert Coin toot.

Or they're doing something with their older brands and making new toot to support it. Though I think this option is very unlikely.

SEGA should hand over some licenses to Platinum for the next generation. Would buy. Twice.

I would reallt like to see a Platinum-take on Sonic. And let them do some crazy shit with Shinobi.

The hand over Streets of Rage to.....uhm...the Yakuza-team. Awesome.

Golden Axe - nah. To soon after that abomination a few years ago. Let it rest another 15 years.

Edited by Michael Myers

I really doubt that they're doing something new with those IPs but I'm all up for a surprise. I would love to see a new Streets Of Rage or a new Golden Axe. But, if SEGA ever wants to work with those series again, I'm pretty sure they would just remake them (like this new Castle Of Illusion).

And talking about Shinobi: Is the 3DS game ok? It seems to be a cool game.