Awoo.

Fertilizer Plant Explosion in West, Texas - 12 Deaths, 60 missing.

Jeffhog

http://www.today.com/news/witness-texas-plant-blast-lifted-my-truck-ground-1C9503042

Thank God, her hearing is alright. However her inner ear is still sore it seems. But yeah, NBC found the two who was in that video.

That is definitely some good news; when things are dark a bit of light helps so much more.

Hopefully she'll make a full recovery.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, America aren't having a good week.

I am so sorry for all the people who were killed because of this. I was very shocked to see this on the news this morning.

Wow, America aren't having a good week.

I am so sorry for all the people who were killed because of this. I was very shocked to see this on the news this morning.

I think that as tragic as this week has been, we should just be glad the two incidents are coincidental. If this was actually some coordinated, widespread strike I'd be far more concerned. That so many lives have been lost is tragic, but we at least have the consolation that we only need to pray for the lives of those currently in critical condition.

• Thumbs Up 1

Poor girl...that video really scared me, but I'm so glad to know that her hearing is back again. *sigh* What a disaster...

Some of you may find this a bit difficult to watch. It's not graphic, but goodness me it's upsetting.

Guy takes a drive towards the disaster area to some apartments which took the initial force of the blast, everyone in the video is fine, theres nobody injured (that I've seen) but the levels of destruction is insane.

Also for those who can't quite imagine what this explosion would have 'looked' like, here is something which is a tad comparable.

The shit I wake up to, I swear.

I take it it started out as a fire at first? That's what the video seems like, unless there was more than one explosion.

I've heard that people have been looting the town the explosion occurred at? huh.png

Wouldn't surprise me.

Awful stuff, but I'm really getting tired of hearing stuff like "it's been a bad week for America". Bad shit is always happening, everywhere. There have been countless weeks in which more than one bad thing happens. It's just how the world operates. I still think this and the Boston incident are tragic, but I'm not about to start lumping events together.  

On the flip side, good stuff is always happening... though we rarely hear about it because good news typically doesn't make for good television.

My thoughts are with the victims. The explosion footage was quite terrifying, it's sad that America is facing another big tragedy.

Guy takes a drive towards the disaster area to some apartments which took the initial force of the blast, everyone in the video is fine, theres nobody injured (that I've seen) but the levels of destruction is insane.

Also for those who can't quite imagine what this explosion would have 'looked' like, here is something which is a tad comparable.

Never mind that grim feeling when you hear they can't find their friend and she lived in the apartments...

That second video's kind of surreal since that's the town I live in. Must have been before I moved here.

I've heard that people have been looting the town the explosion occurred at? huh.png

Disaster brings out both humanity's greatest, and humanity's worst. While most rush to help folks, a few see an opportunity for easy cash.

Awful stuff, but I'm really getting tired of hearing stuff like "it's been a bad week for America". Bad shit is always happening, everywhere. There have been countless weeks in which more than one bad thing happens.

On the flip side, good stuff is always happening... though we rarely hear about it because good news typically doesn't make for good television.

Bingo, it's all about sensationalism. A single American death gets more press than a thousand elsewhere most of the time. Likewise, tragedy sells better than joy, because most people have it good some way or another.

Just a sad part of how the world works. :(

I gotta say it's still god damn stupid to have a plant like that so close to settlements. Chemical plants aren't supposed to be anywhere near housing estates, didn't they learn anything from the Bhopal disaster?

I gotta say it's still god damn stupid to have a plant like that so close to settlements. Chemical plants aren't supposed to be anywhere near housing estates, didn't they learn anything from the Bhopal disaster?

This is America (and Texas at that). We are traditionally less tight on safety restrictions...

But yeah, this violates all basic common sense. If something has a tendency to explode violently you probably shouldn't put settlements near it, no matter how minimal the risk is. We're smart enough to test nuclear weapons in the desert, but not to mandate a distance between apartments and chemical plants?

The fact there are apartments within walking distance of the plant is just absurd.

As a historian in training, though, there's one thing I've learned: we don't put safety restrictions in until AFTER a ton of people die due to lack of them. 9/11? Easily averted. Titanic? Easily averted. Triangle Fire? Easily averted. This? Easily averted. I'm expecting we'll get some restriction on the closeness between residential areas and chemical factories in the near future.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice
  • Thumbs Up 1

Can this week just end already? It's been an awful one in general and the sooner it's over, the better!

Anyway, that video with the girl being scared and complaining about not being able to hear sent a chill down my spine! I'm just thankful her hearing returned to normal and both her and her dad are ok. My condolences go out to all those affected by this.

Apparently Texas doesn't have any zoning laws at all, so no, they haven't learned a goddamn thing.

No dirty communist bastard is gonna tell me where to put my factory! So fuckin' what if the product I make can be used to make bombs?

*Facepalm*

eKbr3yP.jpg

Facilities like the fertilizer plant need to be located a minimum of a mile or so from residential districts, not right next to apartments, houses, schools, hospitals and nursing homes. What idiot decided that it was okay to not have zoning laws? Are Texan legislators really that uneducated, and unconcerned for the well-being of others?

Texas is the land of rampant libertarian conservatism. Everything the government does short of maintaining a military and police force is bad in that viewpoint.

Really this is the largest, most common market failure: the private sector doesn't look after negative externalities. This is where the state's supposed to come in, pass the necessary safety regulations, and then let business continue as usual. This was just blatantly irresponsible and easily avoided with a simple regulation.

It really saddens me how very basic economic theory (and human compassion) is tainted so horribly by politics and money.