Awoo.

Sega Spectrum... What is... Launching 2013? What is..?

Badnik Mechanic

I'm gonna be the odd one out and say its either a system or some type of thing for the computer.

When Sega currently only has one major franchise to really boast about, I don't think they're going to want to release a console, whose startup depends mostly on strong first-party titles.  Sega's marketing has gone drastically downhill since the 90's and early 2000's, but they're not that stupid.  (I think)

After looking at this again, I think this image has showed up before, years ago, and it turned out to be a hoax.

You may be right.  i do recall seeing something similar that turned out to be fake.

On that note, yeah, I'm going to agree that it's a hoax until otherwise proven real.

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sega is in worse condition now to back a console than they were in 2002. Maybe not financially, due to all 'Dat Sammy Money, or perceptually since the Saturn disaster is 15 years ago now; but they don't have the creative spark, output or the franchise variation that they did back then. And if I wanted a machine that I could just play almost all of the Sonic games, I would just buy a Wii. Er... another one.

Someone at Retro noticed an issue on the Sega logo other than the different shade of blue. If you pay attention, the "a" on  Sega is not connected to the "g" like it is in the actual logo and instead looks like the font that imitates the logo:

sega-logo.gif

JLrYJYI.png

Doesn't make much of a difference at all.

One is the official SEGA logo. One is a fan-made imitation.

It makes all the difference.

• Thumbs Up 5

Ah yeah, you can definitely see it in the shape of the S. I'm all up for pegging this a complete fake now until a reliable source (read: SEGA) says otherwise.

Could someone please explain to me how on earth can an image like THIS be photo-shopped with a JTO "TM" logo????????

http://www.seganerds.com/2013/04/15/what-is-sega-spectrum/

It's certainly 100% legit. Straight from the Japan Trademark Office. The only question everyone should be asking is "what is it?"

One is the official SEGA logo. One is a fan-made imitation.

It makes all the difference.

Name and please list other times a Japanese Sega Trademark hoax has occurred. Because Sega hardware hoaxes from Japan are extremely rare.

Also:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2009/02/gam_segalogo2_580.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/SEGA_logo.png

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SEGA_logo.png

http://www.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/sega-logo.jpg

http://www.beatsworking.tv/UFO/sega_logo.jpg

I think your all seriously jumping to conclusions. The logo is an official "SEGA" logo with the "R" (Trademark Registration) icon. This is not fanmade or fake.

Edited by RE2010

Of course it makes a difference, it is common practice to use the same logo on all instances. It is obvious now that it was typed.

*ahem* Let's look at all the types of official SEGA logos...

Sega_Logo_Web_2_0_by_cmt91.png

sega_vintage-e1337613962685.jpg

sega-682_1330171a.jpg

433px-Sega_Republic_logo.svg.png

sega_logo_sonic.jpg?w=625

sega-200611.jpg

sega.jpg

I think Jaime's right on this.

Edited by Ming Ming Suzy
  • Thumbs Up 3

*ahem* Let's look at all the types of official SEGA logos...

Sega_Logo_Web_2_0_by_cmt91.png

sega_vintage-e1337613962685.jpg

sega-682_1330171a.jpg

433px-Sega_Republic_logo.svg.png

sega_logo_sonic.jpg?w=625

sega-200611.jpg

sega.jpg

I think Jaime's right on this.

Here's how you can tell if a "SEGA" logo is legit or not.

"TM" or "R". These are only used by Sega in all of their brands. No logo can be photo-shopped or copied with one of those icons. It's copyrighted material. That's why Trademarks exists. The "TM" and "R" icons CANNOT be obtained unless you file an official country Government Trademark document. Photoshopping any logo and added a "TM" or "R" logo is next to impossible.

Edited by RE2010

"TM" or "R". These are only used by Sega in all of their brands. No logo can be photo-shopped or copied with one of those icons. It's copyrighted material. That's why Trademarks exists.

Nothing is preventing anyone from hoaxing a copyright symbol.

• Thumbs Up 2

"TM" or "R". These are only used by Sega in all of their brands. No logo can be photo-shopped or copied with one of those icons. It's copyrighted material. That's why Trademarks exists. The "TM" and "R" icons CANNOT be obtained unless you file an official country Government Trademark document. Photoshopping any logo and added a "TM" or "R" logo is next to impossible.

I beg to differ.

™ ®

And yes, I can easily add these symbols to any of my images.

• Thumbs Up 2

Have you thought about that maybe whoever did it didn't care about copyright?

• Thumbs Up 1

Do you have any proof its a hoax? 

Do you have any proof that it isn't?

• Thumbs Up 1

Have you thought about that maybe whoever did it didn't care about copyright?

Can you prove its a hoax? Can you find the original source? Your theory would be proven if you can find whoever posted it online. The url,IP number e.t.c.

Also, again name one time a Japanese  site source hoaxed Sega. (Link included.)

Can you prove its a hoax?

The SEGA logo being wrong is pretty good evidence.
  • Thumbs Up 5

And why isn't Sega of Japan promoting this on their official website somewhere?

Edited by Ming Ming Suzy

Can you prove its a hoax? Can you find the original source? Your theory would be proven if you can find whoever posted it online. The url,IP number e.t.c.

No, sonny. You're the one who has to prove that this is real. Prove why they can't just photoshop a trademark symbol on a faulty Sega logo. Prove that this is just more than the typical "low-res camera shot of a super secret document".

Everything "circumstantial" involved in this is not in your favor. It's against it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Can you provide the source to see that's legit? We already gave you some on why it's a hoax, but you haven't given us anything that stands on why it isn't.

Like Dio said, the wrong logo is pretty damning.

Do you have any proof that it isn't?

Yes. 

http://www.trademarkia.com/company-kabushiki-kaisha-sega-669446-page-1-2

312 listed records. "Orbi" and "Dragon Coins" are the 309 and 310th listed live records. Since September , There have been two that are being counted by the US Government Trademark office that remain undocumented, this is because the JTO has informed the US gov Trademark office that 2 new records are in the process to be sent in for foreign registration. In addition to the word "Spectrum" the logo is also trademarked as well. Which means there are 2 records that will be initialized.

If you don't wanna take that for face value, how about this:

Let's wait and see if the name actually shows up in the US Trademark record, if it does, it's legit.

If it doesn't in the next 6 weeks or so, than its fake.

Edited by RE2010

I see no reason why SEGA Japan would suddenly use SEGA America's coloring. I see no reason why SEGA would suddenly change its logo (every other logo has the conjoined A and G). I see no reason some internet troll wouldn’t just ask his friend to write something in Japanese and then paste the R symbol next to it. Finally, I see no reason to accept this as valid unless it was posted at one of SEGA’s sites.

That’s there’s a debate about this is ludicrous.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yes. 

http://www.trademarkia.com/company-kabushiki-kaisha-sega-669446-page-1-2

312 listed records. "Orbi" and "Dragon Coins" are the 309 and 310th listed live records. Since September , There have been two that are being counted by the US Government Trademark office that remain undocumented, this is because the JTO has informed the US gov Trademark office that 2 new records are in the process to be sent in for foreign registration. In addition to the word "Spectrum" the logo is also trademarked as well. Which means there are 2 records that will be initialized.

If you don't wanna take that for face value, how about this:

Let's wait and see if the name actually shows up in the US Trademark record, if it does, it's legit.

If it doesn't in the next 6 weeks or so, than its fake.

You know, once I had a job in sales where me and a friend would just talk and talk so customers would think we knew what we are talking about. Honestly, I don't think that even if I was to bring the board of Sega of Japan to tell you is a hoax, you still wouldn't believe us.

If you really believe this is true, and it actually turns out to be real, then good for you. Saying that I'm out, love, peace and chicken grease to all.

ChuckDisappearing.gif

"TM" or "R". These are only used by Sega in all of their brands. No logo can be photo-shopped or copied with one of those icons. It's copyrighted material. That's why Trademarks exists. The "TM" and "R" icons CANNOT be obtained unless you file an official country Government Trademark document. Photoshopping any logo and added a "TM" or "R" logo is next to impossible.

Are you seriously making the argument that no one making a hoax image would put the trademark symbol in the image to add to the hoax, because that would be dishonest?
  • Thumbs Up 4