Awoo.

Sega 2013 "We release awesome games and tell nobody!"; " READ POST 498

Badnik Mechanic

I haven't played SoR much in the past, but honestly I think the series is better off being left untouched by Backbone. Not even because of the art (I love Touhou and that has bloody awful art), but because Backbone's games are usually "ok at best".

Which SEGA really needs less of.

Edited by SuperLink

Heres what the Hardlight offices look like.

BIdfehxCIAAnlte.jpg

BIdlIkJCEAAjAgu.jpg

BIdoPy2CQAABf2J.jpg

This looks cool. Obviously we all want of those don't we? 

I mean yeah, the art is mediocre, but aren't you guys being intentionally obtuse?

No. There's forshortening and artistic license, and then there's plain bad. This art qualifies at the latter (fully understanding of course that it's conceptual art and not necessarily meant to look top-notch). 

And daaaaaaaaaaamn. The HardLight Offices are gorgeous. I'm genuinely really excited to see what's in store for them. Jump and Dash are, let's be honest, cheaply made made games designed to ring the player out of all their money. I don't like that at all, but it it comes with the territory. The production values of their games are pretty high though, which is more than can be said for similar companies. So whatever's in store for the future should be interesting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is...is that...

Is that a Knuckles room?

Yes.

tear_of_joy_e.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

Is...is that...

Is that a Knuckles room?

Yes.

Too bad Tails is busy cramping his style. I mean, I like Tails but couldn't his room be the broom cupboard or something?

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess it's safe to say that all of Hardlight's games will be Sonic games.

This is from the most up-to-date description on SEGA's recent Hardlight job postings.

Hardlight are the talented team behind Sonic the Hedgehog™'s latest adventures on mobile platforms Sonic Jump™ and Sonic Dash™. SEGA's much loved blue hedgehog mascot is a true global brand crossing over from video games in to toys, stationary, apparel and much more.

http://www.linkedin.com/jobs?viewJob=&jobId=5536863&trk=jobs_share_fb

Sounds like they're Sonic Team Mobile Chapter.

I dunno. It wouldn't be surprising if they did mainly just make Sonic games, but I don't see how that quote suggests it's all they'll ever be doing.

I dunno. It wouldn't be surprising if they did mainly just make Sonic games, but I don't see how that quote suggests it's all they'll ever be doing.

I know the quote doesn't suggest it really. I just meant that the focus on them there is Sonic and with their offices decorated with Sonic characters, it appears they're going to be another Sonic studio for mobile gamers.

I know the quote doesn't suggest it really. I just meant that the focus on them there is Sonic and with their offices decorated with Sonic characters, it appears they're going to be another Sonic studio for mobile gamers.

Well, they're SEGA. Their offices being totally Sonic themed doesn't really mean anything at all. But of course their library will be made up mostly of Sonic games. Sonic sells. Simple. Thing is, SEGA does have other licenses. Where better to test them and out than on cheap to develop for mobile devices?

Also when will their site launch?

Well, they're SEGA. Their offices being totally Sonic themed doesn't really mean anything at all. But of course their library will be made up mostly of Sonic games. Sonic sells. Simple. Thing is, SEGA does have other licenses. Where better to test them and out than on cheap to develop for mobile devices?

Also when will their site launch?

I've been to SEGA Europe's offices before, and they weren't totally Sonic themed like that. They were decorated with pics of Sonic and their other games. I do hope Hardlight will make some non-Sonic games, too.

oh god a NiGHTS mobile game

day 1 buy

Would love to see a new NiGHTS game but I don't think it would work too well on a smartphone. Imagine trying to draw paraloops with your finger on the screen, you wouldn't be able to see a thing. 3DS on the otherhand is perfect with its second screen and stylus.

Those offices look really funky! The Knuckles one is my favourite of course. XP

I mean yeah, the art is mediocre, but aren't you guys being intentionally obtuse?

I don't claim to be the greatest artist around, but just from a quarter of life drawing practice and some hours doing it on my own, I can see a ton of obvious anatomical problems on just the standard pose of Blaze alone:

- Poor lip placement, making them look badly pasted on her jaw.
- Highly skinny neck.
- Tiny ribcage.
- Nearly nonexistent torso.
- Elbows reach the hips, making the arms just absurdly long.
- Entire thigh is about the length of the upper body. Same goes for the lower leg.
- A bad attempt at proper hand anatomy, making them look flat and janky.
- Muscle definition is either badly implied (the legs, stomach) or fairly uneven (the arms).

These mistakes on just simple standing poses don't give me confidence in the artist's ability to render humans properly, especially enough to stylize them; as a result, the poses attempting foreshortening look just as amateurish. If this was the best art they could produce to pitch to Sega, then it's not a great big surprise that the ultimate idea was turned down.
  • Thumbs Up 2

I've been to SEGA Europe's offices before, and they weren't totally Sonic themed like that. They were decorated with pics of Sonic and their other games. I do hope Hardlight will make some non-Sonic games, too.

I think you're probably looking too much into what a simple office paint job means.

I think you're probably looking too much into what a simple office paint job means.

Well, from the start I was just saying it kind of gives off the impression that they're going to just be making Sonic games. I wasn't really being serious and saying this confirms anything tongue.png

Sega should totally remake this for Kinect:

I'd rather NO ONE waste any of their time on the Kinect.

• Thumbs Up 8

Sega should totally remake this for Kinect:

I don't think this is a good idea. After all, Sonic Free Riders was a terrible game with some of the worst Kinect controls ever. I'm not sure this would be any better.

Edited by Gabz Girl

I'd rather NO ONE waste any of their time on the Kinect.

Oh come on, I know kinect it's still is a "work in progress" technology. But I think it could be an interesting tool for unique videogames, I know a lot of the games are bad, but there are good examples. Child of Eden comes to mind.

You only need to find a suited control style for a game, and create a game for that and not the way around(that is what most games do).

For example I can totally see a Space Channel 5 kind of game on Kinect.

Still the example above is not the best since it tries to put a style of gameplay in different control type.   

Edited by redhellc
  • Thumbs Up 1

Doesn't matter. Sonic Generations 2 or Sonic Colors 2 or maybe even Sonic Adventure 3 would be cool. Also for Xbox Live 2 players.

Or another Sonic 4 where did Metal Sonic go!?