Awoo.

Sega 2013 "We release awesome games and tell nobody!"; " READ POST 498

Badnik Mechanic

I wonder why SEGA are wasting resources to make two ports by two different teams. It's so unnatural wacko.png

It's simply because there's been a fissure between SEGA West and SEGA Japan since forever, they don't coordinate in anything. More than likely, SEGA Japan have no idea Whitehead's version exists, and SEGA West had no idea Sonic 1 3D existed until just now like us.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's simply because there's been a fissure between SEGA West and SEGA Japan since forever, they don't coordinate in anything. More than likely, SEGA Japan have no idea Whitehead's version exists, and SEGA West had no idea Sonic 1 3D existed until just now like us.

That's a big problem IMO. They should be way more in sync, especially considering more of Sonic's fanbase is in America. Maybe some of our feedback would actually get over there then?

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

That's a big problem IMO. They should be way more in sync, especially considering more of Sonic's fanbase is in America. Maybe some of our feedback would actually get over there then?

Basically yeah feedback would get over to them easier if they weren't so out of sync.

Buut they've been like this for over 2 decades, it's not going to go away overnight, especially since I'm sure efforts have been made already.

I swear the bigger the business, the more the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing and vice versa.

Negativity aside, if the Taxman port wasn't already on the way this would be very good news.

The other SEGA 3D Classics on eShop are definitely quality, the 3D technique used is far better and more effective than Nintendo's own; they're faithful remastered ports with new features. Sure it might not have the same bunch of new features of the Taxman port and it won't have anything really swanky like remastered physics (or playable Tails, if that does happen), but it'll more than likely be the second best version of Sonic 1 ever made!

So for 3DS users without any other systems, it's both good news and bad news. Sure you get the worse port of the two, but it's still probably a better port than any other system has gotten in the past. The only thing that really sucks is that this probably won't be localised for like 5 trillion years.

To put things in perspective.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 5

Taxman's efforts have never been ported to the 3DS. In fact, none of SEGA's digital rereleases make it to 3DS, it's deemed a completely different thing when compared to XBLA, PSN, iOS, and Vita. So had SEGA of Japan (most likely M2) not done 3D Sonic the Hedgehog, the platform would have never seen the game aside from the DS Classic Collection and perhaps a simple ROM on the eshop.

So I see no negative or miscommunication on SEGA's part. The 3D Classics look like solid games, and 3DS is now getting their version of Sonic 1. It's all good. Given Sonic Team's typical involvement with ports, I can't see them not knowing that two ports were in development. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Taxman's efforts have never been ported to the 3DS. In fact, none of SEGA's digital rereleases make it to 3DS, it's deemed a completely different thing when compared to XBLA, PSN, iOS, and Vita. So had SEGA of Japan (most likely M2) not done 3D Sonic the Hedgehog, the platform would have never seen the game aside from the DS Classic Collection and perhaps a simple ROM on the eshop.

So I see no negative or miscommunication on SEGA's part. The 3D Classics look like solid games, and 3DS is now getting their version of Sonic 1. It's all good. Given Sonic Team's typical involvement with ports, I can't see them not knowing that two ports were in development. 

There's not really any reason Taxman's games couldn't be ported to the 3DS. Just cause they don't doesn't mean SEGA couldn't if they wanted to (and they clearly do want a version of Sonic 1 on there)

If there really was a proper communication between the bunch, why wouldn't they work with Taxman to bring that version to 3DS too instead of making a totally separate one? I'm sure every single person in the fandom would rather have the best version possible with stereoscopic 3D.

3DS owners are gettin' the short end of the stick. That end happens to be 3D and it looks really fuckin' neat, but it's still the shorter end, and it could have been avoided and become a far more efficient and streamlined  effort if SEGA had better communication channels.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Retro Engine was built to be easily ported. I can't think of a good reason why SEGA would develop a completely separate port of S1 or any other game for the 3DS when a top quality port is in the works for other platforms. 

However, I'm not going to just jump on board saying lack of communication is anything to do with it. At the stage we just don't know.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm sure communication isn't the only reason (like anything in business there are tons of reasons), but I sure as hell think it's one of the big ones, and the most typical and least surprising one in SEGA's case which is why I arrived at it.

For all we know, the 3D Classics line has been set and in development for some time now. The inclusion of Sonic the Hedgehog is to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Mega Drive in Japan - so given that it could have been planned for a while. There is a 4th 3D Classics title to be revealed still, and my money is on another Mega Drive title to continue to the 25th anniversary celebration.

If there really was a proper communication between the bunch, why wouldn't they work with Taxman to bring that version to 3DS too instead of making a totally separate one? I'm sure every single person in the fandom would rather have the best version possible with stereoscopic 3D.

I don't doubt that Taxman's version is able to be ported to the 3DS, but I don't know about 3D. Not too sure the Retro Engine is able to create 3D effects. In any case, both versions have their own cool features, so I see no problem with the two co-existing. I'd take two quality ports of Sonic 1 over the many cheap ports we've had in the past - Sonic Jam version excluded. 

Well of course it's better than past ports. I just can't help but feel that it's a wasted opportunity, and a shame that the perfect chance for the best version of Sonic 1 ever to also be in 3D on the 3DS is a missed one.

Like I said, the 3D version isn't exactly bad news, it's still disappointing knowing in fact that it's already not up to the swanky standard of a port announced beforehand.

Edited by SuperLink

It does sound like they've been planning this for a while, and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they added these extra things like the Spindash and customization options to the 3DS port to compensate for 3DS fans who can't get the Taxman/Stealth port.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Retro Engine was built to be easily ported. I can't think of a good reason why SEGA would develop a completely separate port of S1 or any other game for the 3DS when a top quality port is in the works for other platforms. 

Mind you, this is also the same company who thought a retroactive port of the XBLA/PSN version of the remastered Sonic CD to PC when the game was already working on PC to begin with was a good idea.

• Thumbs Up 2

Uh, if you're refering to the 1996 port, try running that on a modern PC. You'll get an error that says  DINO2D.dll could not be found.

Even if you do get it running, the window will be so small that it will be unplayable.

EDIT: The lack of new posts is making me nervous, am I missing something again? D:

Edited by Solkia

No, he means that the Taxman version of Sonic CD was made to run on the PC (after iOS), and then it got ported to the PS3/360... and then was ported back to the PC. Same strange decision they made with the porting the original PC version of Sonic Adventure DX to PS3/360 and then porting it back to the PC.

Chalk it up to being yet another SEGA headscratcher.

• Thumbs Up 2

I doubt the remake/port whatever you wanna call it is gonna be that bad, guys.

I never said or meant to imply it was gonna be bad, it'll probably be the second best Sonic 1 port ever made.

But therein lies the disappointment, it's the short end of the stick from point one.

That's really cool. Now we need to make some 3D mock ups. 

Turns out that such awesome already exists. Check out this page on your 3DS.

Edited by Blue Blood

Correct me if i'm wrong, the 2011 version of Sonic CD was not released in Japan? So by the sound of it, the new 3ds version of Sonic 1 will likely be exclusive to Japan, and the new StealthTax Sonic 1 will not be released in Japan.

The Mega-Drive was not released in the UK until 1990 (US 1989 and Jp 1988).  SoJ celebrates 25 years of the Mega-Drive, so why doesn't SoA doing something similiar now. It always seems that SoJ and SoA/West are so out of touch with each other.

I'm sure the new 3ds version of Sonic 1 will be a good standard, but it will be nothing compared to StealthTax's version.

Edited by -Bender-

The Mega-Drive was not released in the UK until 1990 (US 1989 and Jp 1988). Now correct me if i'm wrong, but the 2011 version of Sonic CD was not released in Japan? So by the sound of it, the new 3ds version of Sonic 1 will likely be exclusive to Japan, and the new StealthTax Sonic 1 will not be released in Japan.

It always seems that SoJ and SoA/West are so out of touch with each other.

SEGA have shown interest in bringing over Space Harrier 3D, so we'll probably get Sonic 1 3D eventually, Sonic is more popular here afterall.

Afaik Sonic CD got released worldwide, but I'm not sure if the PSN version came out in Japan or not.

But yeah, they're quite utterly out of touch with each other.