Awoo.

Sega 2013 "We release awesome games and tell nobody!"; " READ POST 498

Badnik Mechanic

I really hope the Sonic Boom rumour is true, especially since the info we got made it seem like a newer version of AoStH which is by far my favourite Sonic show.

Any new series can only be a good thing in my opinion, with the exception of Sonic X (but then only because I'veonly really watched the crappy opening episodes) I've enjoyed every series so far.

This Dave guy.

Does he work for a specific studio? Or is he all over the place?

Wow, a Pony-esque Sonic cartoon? Sounds like an awesome match. wub.png

As a big fan of MLP:FiM, I always saw many similarities with the Sonic series... well, the past Sonic series, which had plenty of character-driven stories, interactions and humor.

For those who aren't familiar with Friendship is Magic, you can expect a healthy dose of well written storylines, enjoyable by children and adults alike, perhaps some catchy songs, mostly lighthearted plots but not without a few epic struggles here and there; Dave Polsky himself has proven to be great at comedic episodes.

I wonder if they're going to use the same Flash animation style as well, which is surprisingly fluid and expressive.

I'll be definitely looking forward to this, and so should you. happy.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Assuming this turns out to be true. What are they going to do for voices? I'd like to think they'll bring the game cast in for it but at the same time I can see them hiring new people for the show.

Edit: To add to this, what animation style do you think they're going to use here? Would love cg but it has the potential to backfire if done badly.

Edited by Liam The Animator

Edit: To add to this, what animation style do you think they're going to use here? Would love cg but it has the potential to backfire if done badly.

CG is a double-edged sword, really. Good CG could give more life to the characters but crappy CG...well, you know.

I'm all for a new Sonic cartoon, and the names mentioned in the (unreliable) rumor would make me very happy , in case this comes to be.

the (unreliable) rumor

Yeah, when it comes to TSSZ, I'm going to have to see way more proof from solid sources so, I'm not gonna ride my six white horses of hope just yet.

Sounds like a modern version of AoSTH to me. Which is good, I liked AoSTH. 

Ditto to that so I'm all in for this! Even though I think comedy best defines Sonic, I hope action and story plays a part.

If this comes into fruition, all I can do is worry. 

First off, I'd worry if its gonna be worse / as bad as Sonic X, or any of the other Sonic shows. Is it made by a western company or is it an eastern division (probably western, but it could always be that one show..).Then I'd have to worry if its Flash-animated, bad CGI, hand-drawn, or what. And then on the note of it being comedic, is it actually gonna be interesting and fit the series, or is it gonna be chasing the coat-tails of Teen Titans Go (please god no)?

And then even after all of that I'd be expecting it to branch so far off from the games in regards of universe and feel, just like the rest of the Sonic shows. 

I think a Sonic show based around a more down-to-earth version of the Sonic X pilot could be good. Like, a more fitting environment with Unleashed humans mixed with random generic anthros.. and the little animal guys. Sounds like it'd be a lot, but I don't know what to expect. Just hope it keeps some kind of consistency with the actual series and.. well, not sucking.

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, I'm personally all for a new Sonic cartoon...

But as a fan of MLP:FiM, I gotta say that Dave Polesky supposedly being the main force behind this show kinda worries me. I personally really dislike most his episodes in FiM. He has a good sense of humor, but his stories are just really iffy from what I've seen.

If this rumor turns out to be true, then I'll be willing to give it a chance, but with hearing about who's involved, I remain a bit cautious... But at the moment, due to the infamous reputation of the source, I'm taking this news with a grain of salt.

Edited by Mr. Mayhem!

There wasn't anything in the alleged stuff Dave Polsky was allegedly saying at that alleged Q&A that suggests he'd be the "main force" behind the show, so I wouldn't worry too much about the prospect of that.

Nor would I necessarily read too much, positive or negative, into his (alleged) description of the new Sonic thing as "pony-esque", because... well, if you were at a pony convention and you wanted to drum up a little hype for a new thing you were working on, what else would you compare it to?

Too bad Sonic's shitty friends might be in it. It should just be Sonic.

Pretty hard to make a cartoon series with just one character. Gotta have someone to bounce jokes off. They'd still at least need Tails ala Aosth.

• Thumbs Up 2

Pretty hard to make a cartoon series with just one character. Gotta have someone to bounce jokes off. They'd still at least need Tails ala Aosth.

Are you so sure about that?

Much as I like Colours' cutscenes, yeah I'd much rather have a new series of Chris Thorndyke and Pals than whole show of just that. lol

Who've said that the new show will be anything like that?

Edited by sonfan1984

Let's hope it doesn't change things too much. We don't want a "Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures" on our hands

• Thumbs Up 1

While a new "Adventures of" style of cartoon may fit the newer lighthearted themes in the recent Sonic games, I would still be a bit iffy on it. The original cartoons were great and all, but even SatAM which I loved dearly at the time, still had me going "It's not like the games but oh well its all we have".

Sonic X did do those arcs that dealt with some of the newer games and for that I commend it, even if it changed things up to fit Chris etc in the picture.

I would like to see a series that sticks more to the game world and maybe the plots of earlier games to introduce the characters.

Sonic 1 arc, introduce Sonic and Eggman and why they are at odds. Sonic 2 arc, meeting Tails and the whole start of the Death Egg Saga. Sonic 3 arc, meeting Knuckles and going from foe to friend. Sonic CD arc with Amy and Little Planet and Metal Sonic etc.

Sure you can throw in some unrelated stuff, "new" cartoon only arcs and situations etc. I just personally think stuff like the Death Egg and Little Planet etc could make great stories while still keeping it lighthearted and following the games. While also introducing the characters in a coherent way for new people to jump in on.

As has been mentioned tho I can see it being its own entity and unrelated or being a marketing gimmick for Lost World and any stuff after it. Even tho some of the most popular cartoons seem to have big stories like The Last Airbender. Then again there are a lot of mindless single episode joke sprees like Spongebob that do well too...*sigh* I dunno >.<

Has anyone pointed out yet that Sonic Boom is mentioned in Polsky's profile on the Trotcon guest page? (and FYI, these profiles are usually written by the person they're about, sooooo...)

http://trotcon.com/guests/#davepolsky

His credits range from features (Scary Movie, Scary Movie 2) to animation (South Park, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Sonic Boom, Class of 3000)

This Dave guy.   Does he work for a specific studio? Or is he all over the place?

There wasn't anything in the alleged stuff Dave Polsky was allegedly saying at that alleged Q&A that suggests he'd be the "main force" behind the show, so I wouldn't worry too much about the prospect of that.   Nor would I necessarily read too much, positive or negative, into his (alleged) description of the new Sonic thing as "pony-esque", because... well, if you were at a pony convention and you wanted to drum up a little hype for a new thing you were working on, what else would you compare it to?
To answer your question Hogfather, he is all over the place, just check his IMDB page. And I think Octarine has a point. Like I said in a status update yesterday, he apparently was in charge of the Pokemon dub back in the day. So maybe the cartoon itself might be an anime and he is just in charge of the dub/script.

Regardless of anything, if they call the show "Sonic Boom," they ought to use Sonic Boom as the theme song.

• Thumbs Up 3

I know they pretty much lost everything including Yu-Gi-Oh! but if its an anime, hell even if its a cartoon, I do NOT want 4kids getting their hands on this. The fact Sega's worked with them in the past is enough to have me concerned.

Its bad enough that there's no uncut subbed versions of the Metarex season of Sonic X around besides the French subbed one that is still edited. Don't want whatever this is to get dumbed down too if this rumor does turn out true.

I assume they'll be using the current VAs in this new show?

I know they pretty much lost everything including Yu-Gi-Oh! but if its an anime, hell even if its a cartoon, I do NOT want 4kids getting their hands on this. The fact Sega's worked with them in the past is enough to have me concerned.

Its bad enough that there's no uncut subbed versions of the Metarex season of Sonic X around besides the French subbed one that is still edited. Don't want whatever this is to get dumbed down too if this rumor does turn out true.

4Kids has been dead for a while now.

Let's hope it doesn't change things too much. We don't want a "Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures" on our hands

Sonic's universe is a lot more well-defined than Pac-Man's was. I can't see them changing that much stuff.

If this show ended up being real, I guess it'd be neat to see more attention attracted to the series. I'd just rather it be, well, the positive kind.

I'm not sure if anyone has said anything about this but the Sonic the hedgehog Master collection has just been released on the Psn store for $29.99 in the US featuring every game released on the Psn store (ps3 only no sonic rivals games) not sure if this was the place to post that information.

Sega have just published their press release for their booth at the Vegas Licensing Expo.

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON – June 18, 2013 – (Virtual Press Office) -- After more than 20 years as one of the world’s biggest entertainment companies, and with more than 75 million video games sold, SEGA® America Inc. and SEGA Europe Ltd. will introduce an extensive multi-tiered campaign including new games, merchandise, promotional partners, and more for the Sonic the Hedgehog™ franchise. To hit the ground running in true Sonic fashion, SEGA is utilizing this year’s Licensing Expo to lay the groundwork for a licensing and promotional program that will support the effort.

At the show, SEGA will look to build upon its current portfolio by concentrating on several key categories including toys, apparel, bed & bath, food & beverage, and amusement. Casting the Sonic the Hedgehog image in new products and consumer-facing events is one part of a strategy that will also extend the brand to new territories across the globe starting with Latin America. Although currently established in the territory, SEGA will eye a significant expansion of the brand in 2014 and beyond.

This licensing and merchandising push comes on the heels of SEGA’s recent announcement of a three title exclusive partnership with Nintendo for the Sonic the Hedgehog videogame franchise. The first title under this agreement will introduce Sonic Lost World™ for Wii U™ and Nintendo 3DS™ platforms later this year.

“2014 is going to be a significant year for the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise that will take our lovable blue hero to new heights. Our partnership with Nintendo creates the backbone of a program that will take its lead from gaming. With that support we can build a campaign for the character that will thrill and surprise fans all across the globe,” said John Cheng, President and COO, SEGA of America.

Other brands to be showcased at the Licensing Expo include classic game titles Golden Axe™, Altered Beast™, Streets of Rage™ and Shinobi™ along with the much loved Mega Drive™ console and 25th Anniversary of the SEGA Genesis gaming console.

Total War™: ROME II for PC is the latest historic strategy game from critically acclaimed UK developer Creative Assembly; another much-anticipated launch for SEGA coming out this summer. There are licensing activities available around this property as well as other titles in the multi-million-selling Total War franchise.

The recent acquisition of Vancouver based studio, Relic Entertainment, sees the award winning Company of Heroes™ license become part of SEGA’s portfolio with the eagerly anticipated Company of Heroes™ 2 releasing June 25th. Licensing opportunities are available for this brand.

SEGA will be located in Booth #Q200.

www.facebook.com/sonic

For press assets visit www.sega-press.com

Highlights...

* new games, merchandise, promotional partners, and more for the Sonic the Hedgehog™ franchise (By games they most likely mean Lost World).

* Sonic themed: toys, apparel, bed & bath, food & beverage, and amusement (arcade stuff).

* Expansion of the brand into new territories starting with Latin America.

* Golden Axe™, Altered Beast™, Streets of Rage™ and Shinobi™ and 25th Anniversary of the SEGA Genesis/Megadrive licenses will be up for grabs. (we've heard that the game licenses have been up for grabs... the genesis/mega drive is a new one).

* Total War 2: Rome license up for grabs

* Company of Heroes licensing opportunities are available too.