Awoo.

Sega 2013 "We release awesome games and tell nobody!"; " READ POST 498

Badnik Mechanic

OooOOoo 25th of the Mega Drive huh, and they are making it a thing. I wonder if that means we may see more old school stuff being peddled if people pick up the licensing.

Perhaps an Ultimate Mega Drive Collection 2? How many other memorable 1st party games didn't make the first one? They should branch out and get some 3rd party signatures to perhaps release a bunch of the really popular 3rd party Mega Drive games too.

I'm echoing the interest in the voice cast. I dunno why but I'm not really seeing Roger Craig Smith's voice working well with an animated Sonic...

Still, a pony convention? Whether this thing's fake or not (and I'd really like to see it happen, but "Sonic Boom" could mean just about anything), what a random place for it to come from. I'm a little rusty on this stuff; is Trotcon even one of the big ones?

Since Sonic is like MLP in being a franchise that appeals to both children and adults, I can see some merit.

If it was made in the same style as MLP, let's look at the economics of all this: it could create a massive fanbase and very possibly shoot game sales through the roof. To my knowledge Sonic seems to be the only video game character who's ever really had praised animated versions of himself... maybe this is the thing Sonic could use to commemorate his return to prominence?

If we could get an injection of fans as avid as the Brony fandom... well. Needless to say it'd do SEGA's finances good.

Sonic Boom would tie in with all the Sonic CD references. Ha.

Huh, that's actually... a really good point. Does it mean anything or are we just connecting dots?

Huh, just crossed my mind. 6 months and no DLC for ASRT. Where did that time go. Why does Sega either not capitalize on games that would sell a ton of post launch DLC, not the pre-order stuff (ASRT and Generations come to mind) or take their sweet time making any to the point the game is almost irrelevant and people have nearly all moved on. Thus limiting their sales of said DLC more than if they had of gotten it out sooner, probably giving them the false impression it isn't profitable to do >.<

Eh, you never know, it is kinda an evergreen title, though wont know for sujre, and if it happens I'd buy it, and I do plan to get a second copy for my Wii-U

A part of me is hoping the reason they took so long to bring up Summer of Sonic was a major news bundle that will overload our brains with awesome. One (or two) conventions, a brand new show, maybe something pertaining to Lost World...

It sounded like they were making DLC for Transformed, so imagine if they added that as well...

Single day does seem unlikely but since this week is centered on Sonic's birthday, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a -lot- of news these next few days...

I can keep hoping, if nothing else.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

Watch Sonic Boom which is meant to be a comedy... not be funny at all.

But I'm interested in the possible methods of animation. Will it be traditional, 3D, or ugh....Flash...?

Watch Sonic Boom which is meant to be a comedy... not be funny at all.

But I'm interested in the possible methods of animation. Will it be traditional, 3D, or ugh....Flash...?

They said it's going to be a little more focused on humor, they never said it would be a full on comedy. For all we know, it could be a completely serious show, but the fact that Sonic is so sarcastic could make it classify as a comedy. Who knows!

They said it's going to be a little more focused on humor, they never said it would be a full on comedy. For all we know, it could be a completely serious show, but the fact that Sonic is so sarcastic could make it classify as a comedy. Who knows!

I'm hoping it's a little like that.... kinda...

PS2 version of Shadow The Hedgehog is now available on PSN in Japan only.

http://www.sonicretro.org/2013/06/shadow-the-hedgehog-releasing-on-psn-in-japan/

'Once thought to be an April Fools joke when it was announced, Shadow the Hedgehog is now available on PSN in Japan. It’s being released as a “PS2 Classic”, meaning it’s just the PS2 version running in an emulator. Do note that this was easily the worst version, so it might be best to get the game for Gamecube or Xbox instead. Or you can just ignore it and forget that it ever existed like I did until just now.

The classic hasn’t been announced for release yet in the US and Europe, but it can be bought using a Japanese PSN account for 1,200 yen.'

If it comes out on EU PSN then I will get this. It's been a while since I played ShTH (I haven't got my PS2 copy anymore) and it's still a more enjoyable game than Sonic Heroes (IMO).

Edited by Metal Gear -Bender-

My bet is on Flash or CGI. Traditional seems to have pretty much died out unless you're specifically going for that old-school feel. If they wanted to retake that old sense of nostalgia they'd do it, but if they're going for a new audience, who knows...

On the other hand, if I recall MLP:FiM gets a lot of its appeal from older viewers by reminding them of older shows. And that's made with Flash, so who knows, maybe Flash isn't the Devil at all.

I hope they go for traditional, it's not completely dead. I'm just afraid this show is going to be like Teen Titans Go!. Although I like TTG, I miss the serious Teen Titans. I hope Sonic Boom doesn't take the same route.

It's not going to be traditional. 

Well I hope it isn't flash, then. I hope it's at least CGI. Flash works with MLP because it's a slice of life comedy, while Sonic is an action-adventure series, so I don't think Flash would work as well for Sonic.

It's not going to be traditional. 

You don't know that at all. Don't assume things based on your speculation.

You don't know that at all. Don't assume things based on your speculation.

Okay, let me rephrase; based on the very well observed trends of modern animation, the chances of it being traditional are nearly zero. They want to make people buy the games, not revolutionise the animation industry. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope you realize that very few shows use flash. There's maybe a maximum of 5 or 6. Most shows use traditional or cgi, and cgi is usually reserved for mindless shows. The odds of tradition are the same as, or higher than cgi.

Keep in mind that Sonic X wasn't cgi, and it did a pretty good job of making people want to buy the games (How many of us were so excited about Shadow the Hedgehog having Sonic X's voice actors, only to buy the game and find out it sucked?)

Okay, let me rephrase; based on the very well observed trends of modern animation, the chances of it being traditional are nearly zero. They want to make people buy the games, not revolutionise the animation industry. 

There's still a chance that they may go a traditional route with the show, considering many animated shows such as Adventure Time, Regular Show, Ben 10 Omniverse, Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble, Spongebob, etc. still use traditional animation. An action-adventure series such as Sonic would be best suited to traditional or CGI animation. I highly doubt it'll be a flash-based series.

Most shows use traditional or cgi, and cgi is usually reserved for mindless shows.

Oi! Transformers Prime is not mindless! *pouts*

Well...the episodes without the humans in anyway.

OooOOoo 25th of the Mega Drive huh, and they are making it a thing. I wonder if that means we may see more old school stuff being peddled if people pick up the licensing.

Perhaps an Ultimate Mega Drive Collection 2? How many other memorable 1st party games didn't make the first one? They should branch out and get some 3rd party signatures to perhaps release a bunch of the really popular 3rd party Mega Drive games too.

If they do that, and put 3&K on it for Wii U, I'm sold.

Also hooray for Shth.

Edited by Speedster

Like the X-men games, and how about a couple 32X titles, like Star Wars, and Iron-Man and XO man of war

I'm more confused as to how Shadow made it into the classics/platinum sales range...still got my Gamecube version and wouldn't re-buy but...congrats?

Isn't Shadow more popular in Japan, anyway?

I know the poll that established him as second most popular was primarily Japanese... so I wouldn't be surprised if Japan had a far better opinion of the title than other countries which tend to be far less welcoming of the dark, edgy, angsty feel.

Yeah that's probably a good point. I mean I don't "hate" him per say. He was great in SA2 for his role in that. Just when he reappeared randomly and they started trying to shoehorn him in after his "death" giving him a crazy backstory and going way off what most people had come to expect from Sonic gameplay by throwing in guns and bikes and stuff...he totally lost the respect I had for him and his role in SA2 and his sacrifice lost all meaning for me personally.

And considering the negative view his game has this side of the world it does genuinely surprise me that said game made the platinum list. Wasn't trying to be rude or start a war in case anyone views the post that way.

Changing topic more on track again, I kinda wish Sega would do more collections than just Sonic ones. I personally would love to see a Shining Collection. The original Mega Drive ones or at least some of them were on the Ultimate Mega Drive Collection. But some of my favorites were on the other systems, like Shining the Holy Ark, and Shining Force 3 could use an official English release of its extra episodes. An HD version of Shining Force 3 with all its episodes included would be mean!!

Still waiting on the Shenmue HD and Skies of Arcadia HD that they keep mentioning they know fans want too.

This is what I fear. If this is just like a game tie in or a way to get kids to buy games.  Higher chance its going to be crap.  Most of the time flash is quick, easy, cheap. Pretty much the magic words for "commercial bait" cartoons. The only way way I'd accept flash is if it was damn good flash.  Like Anakama Animations good.  But since I'm sure this show won't be produced in France...well...then I still hope it isn't flash based.

Well okay. I'll put my hope in 3D animation. At least I'm used to seeing Sonic in 3D so hopefully it wouldn't be too bad.

Edited by Dejablue

Don't know if this is worth posting, but:

Sonic Unleashed resurfaces on Xbox Games on Demand. It's on sale for $9.99.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/SONIC-UNLEASHED/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80253450812

There was a TSSZ article about this.

http://www.tssznews.com/2013/06/19/sonic-unleashed-resurfaces-on-xbox-games-on-demand/

"Back in October 2009, Sonic Unleashed appeared on Microsoft’s Xbox Games On Demand listing for the Xbox 360. One year later, Sega enacted a policy to remove “poorly rated Sonic titles” from the marketplace in a bid to make the Sonic brand a little more appealing. What this means is that bad Sonic games went away in an effort to let better Sonic games shine more brightly. One of the first and most obvious benefits of this policy was the disappearance of 2006′s “Sonic the Hedgehog” from the Xbox Games On Demand service – but perhaps an unintended casualty of this service was the removal of Sonic Unleashed, a game that was absolutely savaged by the press when it was released.

Fortunately, for those of you out there hoping to experience the game that birthed a lot of the concepts seen in Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations, Sonic Unleashed has been re-listed on the Xbox Games on Demand storefront at the low low price of $9.99. Despite this flying in the face of Sega’s earlier efforts to hide bad Sonic games, Sonic 2006 still remains unlisted outside of a handful of purchasable DLC."

Edited by Metal Gear -Bender-