Awoo.

Sega 2013 "We release awesome games and tell nobody!"; " READ POST 498

Badnik Mechanic

All Stars Racing Transformed performed well enough on Wii U, so I don't think we need to worry about Sonic. 

All Stars Racing Transformed performed well enough on Wii U, so I don't think we need to worry about Sonic.

I'm more concerned about Nintendo and the Wii U to be honest more than anything. SEGA's likely received lots of money from Nintendo for this deal and all, so even if a SEGA game doesn't do well it won't hurt them as much.

Hopefully the fact the Wii U will soon be the cheapest up-to-date console will be able to arrest the trend, as that's their traditional advantage.

Even so, of course, it looks like a lot of the shift to the Wii U was a poor choice if Yakuza's failure is anything to go by. We'll just have to see if Lost World and Bayonetta II fare better.

Well it was the re-release of a re-release for full price, wasn't it? It came out last year on PS3 already, a console Yakuza fans probably own, so yeah...

Details of Gamescom 2013 from the SEGA blog.

Edit: Already posted in the LW forum.

Edited by -Bender- Wolverine

Exactly, I would've been a bit doubtful about Sonic's ability to sell even on Wii U, but this luckily happened and it not only did well, it was likely the best selling version at least at the last numbers release, which was something like 900k odd total with the Wii U version at 230k, and the game was on I think 4-5 platforms at the time (Wii U, 360, PS3 and PC, possibly Vita for the 5th, 3DS came last afterward).

And it was a launch title. So right there it showed the audience already started to jump over, I think only it and Scribblenauts were successful 3rd-party games at launch (and MH3G in Japan).

since this is sega news: fresh from sega bits
SEGA-Sammy is trying to buy Atlus’ parent company
http://segabits.com/blog/2013/08/23/swingin-report-show-49-sonic-into-dreams/

Introductions
  • What we’ve been up to and what we’ve been playing
SEGA News
  • SEGA announces new Sakura Wars game, fans not very pleased
  • SEGA-Sammy’s net income up 400% from last year
  • SEGA-Sammy is trying to buy Atlus’ parent company
  • SEGA says they’re ready for next generation consoles, concern over Wii U sales and more!
  • Football Manager Classic 2014 coming to Playstation Vita
Upcoming Games
  • Sonic Lost World
  • Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
  • Yakuza: Ishin

Well it's not exactly fresh news, it's been known for like maybe a month or so that Sega Sammy was gonna hop in on the Index auction

If SEGA reposition themselves as primarily PC developers, then PS4One ports would cost basically nothing, while increasing the number of potential customers.

I haven't heard anything about a new Sakura Wars. What is it and why are fans not happy? Is it an iOS game?

From the SEGA blog:

Heroki for iOS

9678480277_d070f1071d_o.png

The incredibly talented team at Picomy Games joined us on the floor of PAX Prime last week to show off the latest playable demo of their upcoming iOS title, Heroki! Check out some of the fun they had, peep stunning screenshots, and download exclusive wallpaper for your iOS device.

The peaceful sky village of Levantia needs a hero! The dastardly Dr. N. Forchin has stolen the Emirex, a powerful magical amulet, and all may be lost.

Heroki will venture into a whimsical sky world of flight and fantasy and wield the power of the wind to retrieve the Emerix and save his village. To find the amulet, Heroki will use the wind to fly, freefall and dash, across the clouds, villages, jungles and seas.

A fantastic touch-screen hero

• Fly, freefall and fight with the help of the wind and a propeller
  • Walk and explore when on land
  • Push, pick-up and throw objects
  • Collect coins, discover power-ups, and master new skills
  • Both touch screen and traditional control schemes to choose from

Deep & beautiful mobile action-adventure

• Explore four whimsical worlds including a tropical island, a water world and a village in the sky
  • Meet and befriend a cast of characters
  • Face and foil the five unique enemies of each world
  • Discover a host of secret islands with mini-games and quests to earn special rewards

9678480305_59b273b4bc_o.png

9678480239_8d2996ab70_o.png

9678480193_0e54b89639_o.png

9632372586_4ef895954a.jpg

Edited by -Bender- Wolverine
  • Thumbs Up 1

So Sega are headding to the Brand Licesnsing Europe expo next month. They are bringing the following brands with them, this information comes from the BLE website.

* Sonic the Hedgehog.

* Total War

* Football Manager

* Mega Drive.

Now this is NOT a game fair, it's to showcase licenses for products.

Sonic is obvious,

Total War has a book series.

Football manager... I have no clue...

Mega Drive? Thats new.

Could be something along the lines of those Megadrive bags they have out, or those portable/plug in and play devices that are branded Megadrive?

No it won't be that.

These events are about selling the licenses to use that name/brand to other companies. So when you go to Sega's booth you'll see examples of what you can do with Segas license and they'll have some products there to show what you can do with it. So with Sonic it can be virtually anything, Total war they'll show the books... Football manager... who knows...

The MegaDrive one is interesting because it's the 25th anniversary of the system. Sega bringing it to this event suggests that they want to sell the license to it in some way other than electronic devices.

So SEGA announced a new Phantasy Star RPG for Vita called Phantasy Star Nova.

Despite what they say SEGA still make games in franchises besides Sonic, Total War, and Football Manager! Of course, if Japan existed in a bubble that the west never got news from like SEGA want them to, we might actually believe them.

The truth is, SEGA still make games like Yakuza, Shining, and Phantasy Star. However, given SEGA West's insistence that they only make games from Sonic/Total War/Football Manager franchises now, don't expect to see any quality SEGA games leaving Japan (besides maybe Miku) any time soon.

Dare I say it, the coordination between SEGA Japan and SEGA West is even worse than it was in the 90s.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

So SEGA announced a new Phantasy Star RPG for Vita called Phantasy Star Nova.

Despite what they say SEGA still make games in franchises besides Sonic, Total War, and Football Manager! Of course, if Japan existed in a bubble that the west never got news from like SEGA want them to, we might actually believe them.

The truth is, SEGA still make games like Yakuza, Shining, and Phantasy Star. However, given SEGA West's insistence that they only make games from Sonic/Total War/Football Manager franchises now, don't expect to see any quality SEGA games leaving Japan (besides maybe Miku) any time soon.

Such optimism couldn't have been better timed; SEGA's stock jumped almost 9% on Monday.

Sounds like SEGA's weak brand name is ultimately because the western companies don't feel like putting in the effort to localise the games...

Sometimes being tyrannical with your subsidiaries really is a good thing. I'm surprised SEGA Japan doesn't orchestrate a cramdown and force its non-Japanese divisions to make the games anyway.

Dare I say it, the coordination between SEGA Japan and SEGA West is even worse than it was in the 90s.

Undoubtedly. That being said, SEGA America hasn't done anything anywhere near as hilariously defiant as the anti-Nintendo ads they released back in those days, WITHOUT Sega Japan's permission. It's like one of your underlings making an executive decision to start a nuclear war. "What?! Pull that ad now!" "We can't it's going on the air tomorrow!"

Hey, you know Puyo Puyo? That SEGA puzzle game localized as Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine that you uncultured ballhogs

Well, it's been a big hit in Japan. And you know what else? SEGA is making a special game where it crosses over with the unquestioned king of puzzle drop games: Tetris.

but here is the news source.

Among the games Sega is planning to show off at the Tokyo Game Show next week is Puyo Puyo Tetris, a title revealed in this week's Famitsu magazine. The latest in Sega's Puyo series of falling-blob match-em-up puzzlers, this one combines Puyo Puyo with Tetris in a literal way  two players compete against each other using either game they want, even if one is Tetris-ing and the other's Puyo-ing.

"This project got kicked off because we wanted to bring excitement to these two games, the forefront of the action-puzzle genre," said series producer Mizuki Hosoyamada. "When you lose a Puyo Puyo game, have you ever said 'Well, I wouldn't have lost if we were playing Tetris'? Well, let's have people play each other using the game of their choice, then. This was already in the planning phases back in 2006, forPuyo Puyo's 15th anniversary, although nothing was kicked off with it until last summer."

The new title will feature two main competitive modes. "Classics" allows you to pick the game of your choice and play against an opponent, either completing Tetris lines or setting off Puyo chains in order to throw garbage into your foe's stack. "Swap" mode adds a trick to this  at certain times during the match, you'll actually have to swap between games, going from dropping Puyo blobs to stacking up Tetris blocks.

"While you're playing Puyo Puyo, the screen will switch out and now you're playingTetris," Hosoyamada explained. "We'll be introducing a variety of other rules as well, based on ideas that have appeared in the series over the years. There will also be rules that take advantage of the Puyo-Tetris mix, although I can't get into details yet."

Sega is launching Puyo Puyo Tetris next year on PS3, Wii U, Nintendo 3DS and PS Vita. "Both of these titles have earned massive support from fans for many years," Hosoyamada said. "I'm hoping that we can continue to keep things exciting, so we can celebrate our 40th and 50th anniversaries. Even if you aren't into action-puzzle games, I hope you'll pay attention to the festival atmosphere we've got going with this game. Try it out at TGS!"

If you like Tetris and Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (or one or the other), this is something you should pay attention to. Know why? Because there is a fair chance that it will never be released outside of Japan. The only Puyo Puyo (or Puyo Pop) games to ever be released outside of Japan were the GBA game and Puyo Pop Fever... that was so long ago. 

*ahem* anyway, carry on with your Phantasy Star talk. I'll just be playing puzzle games in my little corner.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 1