Awoo.

Sega 2013 "We release awesome games and tell nobody!"; " READ POST 498

Badnik Mechanic

Sonic was pretty much rushed for Brawl. If he's in SSB4 from the beginning then he'll get good treatment. I would've love a Starlight Carnival arena, but since it's in Colours and ASRT then I would choose Sweet Mountain instead (I would've chosen Tropical Resort but it's in Gens 3DS).

I love Colours' level tropes.

If Nintendo and SEGA are still on good terms then I imagine Sonic's been planned for SSB4 since the beginning, but if they're not like I worry is the case.. that'll probably throw some spanners into the works at the very least.

So I hope it's just my imagination.

Yes, it would be a great startegy, however, even though they know doesnt ensure it, I mean Sega has known for a while that fans want Nack back, but they havent just because for some reason it appears no one on the team likes him(proably cause he was developed by the long defunct mobile team

I wouldn't mind if the 3rd-Party characters thing was a one-time thing.  It was cool enough, but it really doesn't need to happen again; I'd rather have more Nintendo characters (like Isaac, Mewtwo, and Skull Kid).

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah if neither Sonic or any other 3rd party returns I'll be content with Brawl being that one off SSB with 3rd-party characters and maybe they'd return in the future. However if it got other 3rd party characters but not Sonic, I think I'd be really sad.

I'll be super pissed if Sonic's not in, since him being in Brawl is what got me into Smash Bros in the first place (and then I discovered it was awesome regardless). 

I don't really care if Sonic shows up again or not. I'll sure as hell be pissed if they waste slots on putting in clones of him. If they put someone like Shadow or Metal in, they need their own moveset.

Agreed, if there's any playable Sonic character, it's Sonic, leave it at that. If there are extra character slots to go, give it to a niche Nintendo character :D

But hey this is the SEGA plans thread not the SSB4 thread so getting back on topic (as SSB prolly won't be out this year anyway..)

I'm actually pretty surprised that we still have no indication of the new game considering April's almost over.. however I also have the feeling something will be shown really soon. And yeah I know it's often a poor choice to get yourself hyped about upcoming Sonic stuff but I can't help it..!

If we don't get anything this month, I'm rather sure that we will do next month.

Yeah, we didn't get anything until May in 2010 as well. At least, regarding the console outing. Of course, there was also Sonic 4 hype at that time...

• Thumbs Up 2

If we don't get anything this month, I'm rather sure that we will do next month.

Not trying to be negative here but we've said this like every month since January.

I'm starting to think they might wait until E3.

• Thumbs Up 8

As I recall analysing the announcement dates all the way back to 2005 shows May and April alternating each year. By that pattern, this should be a May year. No need to panic, gents!

Our long wait will pay off soon enough... we'll get Sonic 2013, Sonic Boom, and Summer of Sonic all in one month likely.

• Thumbs Up 2

Given how it's getting on... I'm about... 90% sure that the next major Sonic game will definately be on the next gen systems. In fact it wouldn't suprise me if Sega is just waiting on Microsoft to announce Always Online Box 720 so they can announce Sonic for all the next gen systems.

I suspect we'll see a similar situation with what happened with Unleashed. Main console versions, then a 'lesser' version... though the thought of the PS360 versions being classified as lesser isn't likely to sink in with a lot of people just yet.

• Thumbs Up 2

The Smash Bros series is a mediocre fighting game compared to titles like Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom 3 and others, but seeing Sonic in it was really nice, and I hope they manage to improve the fighting mechanic as well as adding more third party characters like Megaman.

Given how it's getting on... I'm about... 90% sure that the next major Sonic game will definately be on the next gen systems. In fact it wouldn't suprise me if Sega is just waiting on Microsoft to announce Always Online Box 720 so they can announce Sonic for all the next gen systems.

I suspect we'll see a similar situation with what happened with Unleashed. Main console versions, then a 'lesser' version... though the thought of the PS360 versions being classified as lesser isn't likely to sink in with a lot of people just yet.

I'm all for Sonic going next-gen, but isn't it a bit risky to go that route so quickly? I mean, no one knows how the new consoles will sell. Will they even be affordable?

Another thing is that whilst SEGA are naturally keen to release Sonic games on as many console/mobile platforms as possible, if they went for releasing the new 3d game on this generation and next, then wouldn't that be stretching Sonic Team a bit too thin?

Edited by -Bender-

Hmmm okay...

Why have I posted this here as well as the toot forum? Well... at that Paris licensing show, Sega were promoting several other franchises... Insert Coin have just announced a new Sega range... and now we have F4F announcing a Sega All Stars Range of statues...

I don't think that SEGA is doing a Sonic Boom this year. We should've heard about it by now.

Sonic Boom 2011 was announced on May 12, 2011. The actual event was June 8, 2011, in Los Angeles.

The reason Sonic Boom 2012 was announced so early was because it was in San Diego and they wanted us to get hotel rooms ahead of the Comic Con rush, which is in about mid-February.

So there's still a good chance we'll have one, presumably moved elsewhere. The biggest argument against Sonic Boom 2013 is that 2012 sold only 80% of its tickets. However, they also didn't have a really big title to promote there. If people are told they can play Sonic 2013 at Boom, it's sure to help with sales.

Alternatively they could do that lame random ticket thing again but it sounds like that has too many problems to be viable.

Keep your hopes up!

I think this is spot-on. The game is sure to be in the holiday season, as is the PS4, so common sense states SEGA will aim for it.

On the other hand, they like to alternate HD and Nintendo, so it's very plausible it'd be on the Wii U. Unless of course going across the full range of consoles is more profitable, in which case it would make sense to pick that...  also depends on SEGA's relationship. If they aren't on good terms, SEGA's liable to give them the one finger salute and go across all consoles.

Just taking a look at potential reveal dates. Usually SEGA does big announcements on a Thursdayand keeping that in mind our upcoming dates are the 26th,3rd,10th,17th and 24th. Considering Colours was revealed May 26th I reckon a mid May announcement is fairly possible.

Just taking a look at potential reveal dates. Usually SEGA does big announcements on a Thursdayand keeping that in mind our upcoming dates are the 26th,3rd,10th,17th and 24th. Considering Colours was revealed May 26th I reckon a mid May announcement is fairly possible.

Indeed. While there's speculation it would be announced at E3, I see no reason they'd break their usual trend all of a sudden. I don't think they're being that revolutionary.

We'll likely get at least some teaser telling us the game is coming soon in the next few weeks, and who knows after that. We'll finally have something to look forward to, though.

With how Summer of Sonic's been so thoroughly delayed as well, I'm really of the inclination both conventions and the announcement are going to be in close proximity to each other. Could SEGA finally be getting good marketing tactics down?

Well, they could decide to do it April 25 as  a compromise between the past 2 times XD

well, I have the feeling that the announcements will be impressive and unexpected. I mean, a new era of gaming is near, Generations celebrated 20 years, and I think we have to expect a big change in the Sonic universe...a restyle, a reboot, who knows? 

Sonic have had 2 drastic changes in his history: from classic to dreamcast and from dreamcast to modern (2006 was a sort of hybrid)

they surely have plans to expand Sonic even more, maybe a PARTIAL reboot with a new tv series or movie that explores the early story of Sonic, the first encounters with Eggman, the relations with Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Metal Sonic. They could revise the series, bringing back Shadow, Rouge and other characters. Fix the paradoxes with Silver and Blaze, create a new continuity that would keep fans attached.

I'm thinking about a new series, like the adventure was meant to be

the first game introducing Sonic, Tails, Amy, Metal Sonic and Eggman, with some Sonic/Eggman and Sonic/Tails back story, incorporating plot elements from Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Sonic CD

the second game could expand the cast with Knuckles, Tikal, Chaos and the Chaotix, mixing Sonic 3, a bit of Knux & Chaotix and Sonic Adventure

the third game would re-introduce Shadow and Rouge with Sonic Adventure 2 plot

then characters like Silver, Blaze and even Fang, have all the space they need