Awoo.

Sony's Playstation Plus poll results are a bit interesting

Badnik Mechanic

Back in February Sony had a poll on it's blog regarding Playstation Plus' future content. It was "What game genres would you like to see added to the Instant Game Collection?"

These were the options you could vote on.

• Action Adventure (Uncharted, Assassin's Creed)
  • Platformer (Sonic Generations, LittleBigPlanet)
  • Puzzle (Tetris, Angry Birds)
  • Shooters (Borderlands 2, Call of Duty)
  • Multiplayer (Guardians of Middle Earth, Gotham City Imposters)
  • Sports (SSX, FIFA)
  • Racing (Ridge Racer, LBP Karting)
  • RPG (Mass Effect, Ni No Kuni)
  • Other - please state
  • Fighting (Street Fighter IV, Mortal Kombat)
The blog entry got a lot of feedback, over 450 replies from registered users, which is very high for a blog update (typically you're lucky to get over 50 or so depending on the update).

Well today they announced the results and... I'm quite suprised at what got voted number 1.Over 73,000 people voted, though these will be both PSN+ and non + users, and you can bet some people who don't even own a PS3 or Vita voted. But... it's quite interesting what the results show...

8670854993_ebe3e299c0_o.png

Action and adventure I'm not suprised at all with... however it was beaten by RPGs, which came first. Now... it's possible that because they included Mass Effect as an example of an RPG people got into their heads games which have RPG elements such as borderlands and... any other game which borrows RPG elements but isn't what one normally thinks of when it comes to an RPG.

But what is really shocking... look at the drop from RPGs/Action games... to shooters! Even in the poll example they listed Borderlands 2 and Call of Duty, and that genre is so massive I thought it would have been up there near first place, but the difference is enormous!

However biggest suprise of them all?

Multiplayer games are second to last! I am genually shocked by this one, whilst I don't like multiplayer games much myself, to see them that far down is really suprising. Though since most shooters are described as multiplayer games, it might explain the low numbers. But to see that one behind 'others' is very suprising.

They say that the poll isn't going to mean they're just going to focus on the 'winning' genres. But I thought you'd find the results of this interesting since it is a sizable vote of a gaming population.

Anyone suprised at some of the results?

• Thumbs Up 7

Good news.

No particular genre will reign supreme forever, aside maybe sports games. Eventually people will either get bored, or get deep enough into gaming to want to try some of the countless other genres available for them to play.

That's a pretty big decrease from Action/Adventure to Shooters. Good, since it's nice to see other gameplay genre's getting more popular beside Shooters.

Well no wonder why PS+ users want moar RPGs and Action games. They were probably the most popular genres back in the PS2 days. Hopefully this means that us US PSN+ subscribers will get games that aren't 947 million years old or something that you could find in WalMart for 3 dollars.

playshit+ $ON¥fags should have voted more for platformers because sandwich

The majority vote for less shooters and more Action/Adventure could have to do with people actually purchasing them on day one (we all know how well CoD sells), instead of waiting for a PS+ update. Maybe people chose RPGs and Adventure games because they own less of them, not because they like them over shooters as a whole. PS+ has always been a way to get games you "just sort of want but never have the chance to play", sort of like Gamefly. 

Either way, this poll isn't exactly a representative sample of the current trend in gaming.

Edited by The Kid
  • Thumbs Up 6

Wow these are surprising results, these are actually my two favorite genre's too (though I always thought sonic counted in the action adventure genre) this is great news especially since the two are vastly voted upon.

The drop of popularity in shooters isn't just a coincidence either, they've been getting worse reviews and more criticism for being bland and samey in the recent year or so, there's definitely a dropping interest in them.

It's good. The surgence in RPG interest is surprising though.

Let this be a sign of shooters finally dying. Please.

• Thumbs Up 1

Let this be a sign of shooters finally dying. Please.

Not likely at all, but they will be less abundant.

Honestly, shooters are among my LEAST favorite of games. Sucks that Puzzle games are at rock bottom, though typically I do tend to prefer RPG's/Action games with Puzzles in them, rather than specifically Puzzle games themselves.

RPG's are my #1 favorite anyway, so this pleases me. But the thing is that, most RPG's people are probably talking about aren't traditional turn-based RPG's but action-based RPG's and real-time strategy. Action-based RPG's are good depending on the type of game, but I still prefer turn-based to them.

Real-time strategy, on the other hand, I loathe with a passion. I know its all down to personal preference... but in all honesty I simply do not at all see the appeal for real-time strategy. I far prefer turn-based strategy RPG's, primarily Fire Emblem, really. Others are good, too, but FE is my absolute favorite type of TBS.

Real-time strategy, on the other hand, I loathe with a passion. I know its all down to personal preference... but in all honesty I simply do not at all see the appeal for real-time strategy.

I can't help but agree. A bunch of people I knew tried to get me into some RTS games and I just wasn't able to play and enjoy them. I've never disliked a genre as much as RTS games.

I hate shooters, but I can still play Quake and enjoy myself whereas I've not found a single RTS that I don't dislike.