Awoo.

Anyone Remember That 'Whatever You Want Sega Competition?'

Badnik Mechanic

This is one for the older members.

Going through my old issues of Gamesmaster, in an issue dated December 1998 theres a small feature on Sonic Adventure, beside it is an advert for an old competition of sorts. A TV Show called 'Whatever you want' was going to have a competition in which the winner would get a 'job' at Sega to work on Dreamcast games.

The only stipulations where that you had to be aged between 10 and 12, willing to appear on TV and 'be bonkers about videogames'

There is very little inormation on this show, in fact the production company is the only place I can find video of it. In 1999 based on what little information I can find, at some point between April and July of 1999 the 3rd series started and they had a competition which I imagine everybody here would have wanted to go for.

Now I actually remember watching this episode, whilst I don't remember the details e.g. which Sega staffer was there, I do remember some parts of it.... and how annoyed I was when I heard the details at the end, however now I'm older and understand more things, my anger was very misplaced =p

The set up was that 3 kids had to 'compete' in various challenges and the winner would get the prize.

This was 14 years ago, some members here wern't even born yet and my memory of it is fragmented at best... but heres what I remember.

Sonic Adventure was promoted a lot. They showed a lot of clips from it, for some reason I seem to remember them showing the snowboarding stages a lot.

Someone from Sega came out and congratulated the winner (I don't think it was Yuji Naka or anyone from Sonic Team).

It might have been the host then told the kid who won what his prize was, I think this is roughly the line "You will get to play all the Dreamcast games before they come out! You will get a say in the games and be able to change things you don't like too!"

When I eventually got my copy of Sonic Adventure and I heard what Sonic says during the Tails levels... I blamed this kid... .. .. yup. hehe. Anyway, looking back this was bad.... and wrong... Because now I'm a lot older I know that this person wouldn't have had much of any power outside of being a QA tester, at least I certainly hope Sonic Team didn't give him creative control!

Unfortunately I can't find video or even photos of this particular episode, I can't even find an article on it. In fact I can't find much of anything on the TV show in general.

But does anyone else remember this or have anymore details as to what happened... heck was anyone here the kid who won it?

• Thumbs Up 1