Awoo.

Who gave Star Trek 10/10? "To Boldy Go, Where no Colonial Marine has gone before!"

Badnik Mechanic

Anyone remember when Telltale games were caught trying to bump up the metacritic score for the terrible Jurassic Park game they made?

It's happened before, game developers flock to Metacritic and try to bump up the score for a terrible game, heck just last week one developer was caught changing the name of their game for the Steam release to avoid all the negative press the game recieved. Well, it seems that it might be happening again, only this time with 'Star Trek: The Game.'

Star Trek was released this week, but Namco and all the other people behind it didn't send out any review copies of the game. Suprise suprise, the game is bad... really bad. It could probably go down as being another 2013 disaster if it wasn't for the fact that everybody already assumed it would be terrible.

So no review copies were sent out, and jurno's had to get their copies when it was eventually released in the said regions and most sites havn't yet put up their reviews.

How does metacritic fit into all this? Well, user scores for metacritic started to pop up a few days before the release date, whilst games do get street dates broken, the volume of positive scores popped up so quickly that a few people noticed and suspicions were noticed.

Now, metacritic has come under fire before for how it opperates and how it can unfairly represent a game both in the professional and user review section. Whilst metacritic has it's defenders, it's hard to defend this system when you have reviews like this...

This is the full review which gave the game a 10.

It is unbelievable how the best star trek game ever gets fu_cked up by some fu_cking kids!
You little fu_ckers have no fu_cking balls!

For every Star Trek Fan out there this is the best game!

Then you get some which just don't make any sense at all... these reviews also gave the game a 10.

I am enjoying the game more than I thought. I bought it from Steam on a whim and finally played it today. It has some pretty good fight sequences that sadly aren't as exciting as they should be because the scripted animations are pretty rough, but had DE have more time, or money to make something closer to the quality of Darkness II it would have been fun and exhilarating, but sadly we just got this game. It's not broken and I am finding myself having fun at times. Definitely an 8.0.

This game is better than the credit some are giving it. Yes if you are a TREKKIE fan it is a solid purchase. For the record I am a Star Wars Fan. This game is fun... if nothing else you feel like your living a movie. It is true the graphics do not compare to the almighty "SKYRIM" but nor are they bad. The visuals are better compared to MASS EFFECT and BIOSHOCK INFINITE. Would I really give it a ten... Heck NO!!! Its not even in the 9 category... but I would put it at 8.0 I have played better games... but i've also played alot worse games. It's rare when a game convinces you that you are that character.. Star Trek gets close. Anything under 5 is an injustice to this game

So wait... we have two terrible reviews which have contributed to the meta-score which both claim that their review is below 10... yet they've been given 10's? Based on... what exactly?

Jam_Sponge of videogamer.com, this was the site that made that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z2qVebxlUo' which brought the whole A:CM fiasco to the mainstream, also noticed a few odd things about the scores and 'reviews.' 

First thing he noticed was that the use of language from some of the people who reviewed the game seems odd for the target demographic, which again isn't very conclusive of anything.

However, other people have also noticed how aside from the obvious potential 'troll' reviewer (one guy has given A:CM, Dead Space 3 and various other games which are terrible or not that good, 10's accross the board.' Several of the accounts who reviewed the game were new accounts and have no other reviews. One account even deleted his review after a number of sites started to say 'could it be a dev?'

So Jam_Sponge has noticed how odd this is and has set up a bit of a task, he wants to find the original 10 people who posted these glowing reviews, he doesn't want to ask them why, or mock them, all he wants to do is verify that they are not associated with the game.

Now we've often talked about how Meta-critic scores can be misleading and how one bad score can make what is an excellent game look not so great, but usually this is tied to the 'professional' side of the site. Looking at the user scores, should there be some addtional steps taken to assume identity as apposed to letting it being free reign?
  • Thumbs Up 5

So, a game company are basically saying that their game is better than everything else. Well, I never knew you could still do stuff like that.

Sega does what Nintedon't!

So, a game company are basically saying that their game is better than everything else. Well, I never knew you could still do stuff like that.

Sega does what Nintedon't!

Please tell me you are aware of the difference between a game company promoting their product and a game company deliberately attempting to mislead people into buying their product?

• Thumbs Up 3

Please tell me you are aware of the difference between a game company promoting their product and a game company deliberately attempting to mislead people into buying their product?

I am. My post was probably misleading, sorry about that.

Oh, I think this is the same thing as the Metacritic reviews:

Edited by Crash

Well... this suddenly kicked off.

Turns out a bunch of people, and by bunch we're talking everybody is having problems with the games online mode. The whole service is down in fact, as is the official website. But it's working for some people... Look (Big image so linking to it)

Who then went onto twitter to say this...

b9OlCGP.png

To boldy go, where no bad PR has gone before!

• Thumbs Up 8

Yeah.... thinks are now starting to look VERY fishy. One guy has reviewed all 3 versions of the game and has given it a 10.

Co-Op in the steam version doesn't work at all, and it's not worked since day 1.

The games twitter account starts promoting the metacritic 'user' scores, not the professional ones. Even Angry Jo noticed something is up.

Also just watch this video, especially for what happens at 7min... GIANT SPOCK!

• Thumbs Up 6

These fake reviewers are morons. You give the game an 8 at most and say for any Star Trek fans it's fun while it lasts. You mention problems in passing but downplay them.

You want to push people on the fence to pick it up not blatantly lie and get caught defrauding the public with ridiculous scores. 

Edited by Get Over Here

Wow, that's messed up. Why do devs and publishers think it's ok to release games in a shitty state like that?

@Black Mamba: That's what Hogfather was referring to Angry Joe noticing in the video. It's pretty messed up.

So how is the game? Is it really bad? huh.png

Lets rephrase this, is it Aliens nearly unredeamable bad, or not properly tested, but decent if the bugs are fixed

So how is the game? Is it really bad? huh.png

Well... put it like this.

They first showed the game nearly a year ago, and... it didn't look too bad, in fact in the IGN preview videos they had up last week, whilst rough, it still didn't look too bad... then the game got delayed... then they didn't send out any review copies... and now people have it, it's the Terminator Salvation syndrome. The first level is 'kinda alright' then the rest of the game is... well...

But aside from that it's just so bland and boring. Everything is just painfully boring from what people who actually have the game are saying. They marketed this is Mass Effect for Star Trek fans... which is odd since Mass Effect is pretty much a rip off of Star Trek anyway, only it's more 'lets make a shovelware title with Star Trek characters in it' for Star Trek fans.

To give you an example of how bad the game is, you play as either Kirk of Spock, well, at one point there is a space battle between the enterprise and... random alien ship. Play as kirk, you controll the turrets of the enterprise through a scripted sequence... play as Spock you.... watch the enterprise through a scripted sequence... yeah... Spock doesn't do much in this game.

Oh and... Jim Sterling to the rescue.

I think they should just stop using Metacritic altogether. I can't believe there are game developers that actually do this nowadays, it's so unprofessional!

...you say it's been getting tens?

...No.

Nonononononono.

That's too low.

This isn't just game of the year.

This is GAME OF THE EVER.

seriously though that's something that wouldn't even happen in, like, Sonic 06. This whole situation is hilarious.

...you say it's been getting tens?

...No.

Nonononononono.

That's too low.

This isn't just game of the year.

This is GAME OF THE EVER.

seriously though that's something that wouldn't even happen in, like, Sonic 06. This whole situation is hilarious.

Wait, it isnt only A:CM bad, its SONIC 06 BAD! The horror, horror

While developers uprating their own game on metacritic isn't unheard of, this is a Star Trek game and Star Trek fans can get weird.  

Well... put it like this.

They first showed the game nearly a year ago, and... it didn't look too bad, in fact in the IGN preview videos they had up last week, whilst rough, it still didn't look too bad... then the game got delayed... then they didn't send out any review copies... and now people have it, it's the Terminator Salvation syndrome. The first level is 'kinda alright' then the rest of the game is... well...

But aside from that it's just so bland and boring. Everything is just painfully boring from what people who actually have the game are saying. They marketed this is Mass Effect for Star Trek fans... which is odd since Mass Effect is pretty much a rip off of Star Trek anyway, only it's more 'lets make a shovelware title with Star Trek characters in it' for Star Trek fans.

At first I thought Kirk grabbed the platform from the wrong spot, but after watching for the moment it looks more like there's geometry missing from the level.  

On that subject of the steam servers apparently not working........

nOWzCWl.jpg

rogentrekkie.png

"Just as I thought, Scanner reads 'Douchebag' "

• Thumbs Up 3

Look at these poor souls at GAME Kidderminster being forced to approve of the game.

Our own Scotty and Bones both give the new Star Trek game the thumbs up have you played it yet?

936542_237210749737452_2044985279_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=237210749737452&set=a.147854852006376.13275.142726169185911&type=1

Just look at their faces lol!

Look at these poor souls at GAME Kidderminster being forced to approve of the game.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=237210749737452&set=a.147854852006376.13275.142726169185911&type=1

Just look at their faces lol!

3 hours ago I wrote.

"Lets see now... the devs are posting fake reviews to metacritic, the co-op is completely broken, theres bugs and glitches everywhere... have I played it? Are you out of your minds!? Of course not"

3 hours later... comment removed =p

• Thumbs Up 1