Awoo.

Avengers Assemble! Again... for another Cartoon

Balding Spider

Doesn't seem as cringe-worthy as USM is in terms of its humor, but then again I thought USM was good too when they ran a 30 sec. preview clip.

Eh, no Henry Pym, no sale. that was one of my Favorite parts about EMH

That clip wasn't enough for me to form an opinion. I'll simply check out that hour preview to decide if I'll keep up with this series.

The entire voice cast is filled with talent, so I'm definitely looking forward to watching this upcoming series.

Just a quick bump. Turns out another Persona VA is joining the cast of the show. Liam O'Brien (Akihiko, Nightcrawler, Angel) will be voicing the Red Skull according to Troy Baker.

I'm not looking forward to this in the slightest. Truthfully, while the voice cast assembled ( no pun intended) is pretty damn good for the most part, but I can't help but get the feeling we'll be getting a dumbed down version of the Avengers that only caters to young children that were fans of the movie. Also, given Jeph Loeb's track record when it comes to Comics and Tv, you can see why I'm not looking forward to it. I don't see why EMH got cancelled so soon. Why not just renew it for a 3rd season, and if you're really that desperate to appeal to the movie fans, just redesign their costumes. I have heard rumors that Assemble will be a continuation, but I highly doubt it, seeing as how the voice cast and animation are completely different.

On a side note, what the hell is up with Loeb casting Adrian Pasdar as Iron Man every time he's directly involved in a project? He doesn't really fit the role well at all, but he somehow keeps getting cast in various Marvel animated shows.

Edited by Chaos Incarnate

So the first episode is out, and you can view it on ITunes. Here's the link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/marvels-avengers-assemble/id645732139

My computer's being a dick right now, and wont let me view it right now. But please tell me

how bad they fucked up the Avengers characterization.

Edited by Balding Spider
  • Thumbs Up 1

Finally watched the pilot, and without major spoilers here are my brief thoughts on the show.

The animation was too inconsistent, at times it would look really good, and others it would look like this cheaply animated fan cartoon. And the mesh of CG and 2D animation is just terrible here. Loeb & crew were obviously too focused on the action of the show so much so that that it sacrifices pacing and character depth, none of the heroes carry over the charm from EMH.  The show moved so fast I often didn't get enough time to process what just happened before moving onto another thing exploding.

Though to the shows credit, I really thought MODOK was a cool threat this time around. Unless the show runners can pull themselves back, work out the pacing and become more consistent with their animation I think I'll drop this.

For those that don't have an ITunes account here: http://www.watchcartoononline.com/avengers-assemble-episode-1-the-avengers-protocol-part-1

Finally watched the pilot, and without major spoilers here are my brief thoughts on the show.

The animation was too inconsistent, at times it would look really good, and others it would look like this cheaply animated fan cartoon. And the mesh of CG and 2D animation is just terrible here. Loeb & crew were obviously too focused on the action of the show so much so that that it sacrifices pacing and character depth, none of the heroes carry over the charm from EMH.  The show moved so fast I often didn't get enough time to process what just happened before moving onto another thing exploding.

Though to the shows credit, I really thought MODOK was a cool threat this time around. Unless the show runners can pull themselves back, work out the pacing and become more consistent with their animation I think I'll drop this.

For those that don't have an ITunes account here: http://www.watchcartoononline.com/avengers-assemble-episode-1-the-avengers-protocol-part-1

Huh. Well it least it's not as offensively bad as Ultimate Spider-Man............

Huh. Well it least it's not as offensively bad as Ultimate Spider-Man............

No it's not. Though...

they did Ultimate Spider-man the Falcon. In that instead of having him make his gear himself it was made for him from somebody else with advanced technology, taking away a lot from the characters appeal IMO.

And they did mention Spider-man in the show at the beginning.

Edited by Balding Spider

I kinda like it so far. The animation is pretty good, though it's too inconsistent like Balding Spider said and relies on CGI a bit more than I would like, the voice acting is good, the story seems decent enough, and it actually got a few laughs out of me, unlike Ultimate Spider-Man, which tries way too hard to be funny. I'm loving MODOCK's new design and Charlie Adler's voice just makes him sound all the more sinister. I personally find the Falcon pretty inoffensive so far, though he is very different from his comic counterpart. It's too early to give proper judgements on the show, but I don't think it'll be anywhere near as bad as Ultimate Spider-Man.

EDIT: Corrected who plays MODOCK, thanks CC14 the Vipester.

Edited by Tomoki

I'm loving MODOCK's new design and Steve Blum's voice just makes him sound all the more sinister.

Actually, that'd be Charlie Adler, best known for his roles as Buster Bunny in Tiny Toon Adventures, Cow/Chicken/The Red Guy in Cow and Chicken, and the Bigheads in Rocko's Modern Life. (Among others.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually, that'd be Charlie Adler, best known for his roles as Buster Bunny in Tiny Toon Adventures, Cow/Chicken/The Red Guy in Cow and Chicken, and the Bigheads in Rocko's Modern Life. (Among others.)

That guy, huh? Dude's got some awesome vocal range, then.

The animation looks extremely stiff at times. The voice acting is passable(having Laura Bailey helps, especially since she;s using her sexy voice <3), the writing however....is ok. The characters aren't as interesting or witty as EMH, most of them just seem to spout one liners at any given turn, but some of them did manage to get laugh out of me. I'm glad they kept Hulk's EMH characterization because  I was so afraid they were going to make him "RORACH HULK" again.

Its a definite step down from  EMH, especially since its pilot episodes did a much better job of establishing the team, but I couldn't find anything I really hated about it either. I see potential and I hope it can capitalize on it. Its probably not going to live up to EMH, but I hope it can at least stand on its own in the future.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

Not great, but not bad either. Not as good as EMH either, but I can see it getting better(just watched the first 2 episodes). I could see this working like X-men evolution: rough first season with decent basics, then most of it ironed out by the second season. Definately not the worse marvel cartoon, and not the worst avengers one, then again this is only the third one, and from what I understand the 90's one was attrocious, though been meaning to try and track ti down and watch it myself

Oh yeah, 2 thumbs up though on their interpentation of MODOK, most menacing version I have seen, most bald as well, Red skull on the other hand felt a lot more like Baron von strucker from EMH minus the energy sapping arm

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

Its still pretty weird to me how much disney is kind of abusing the avengers cartoon thing, it seems way too soon and I feel as though there rushing into this a bit too quickly.

They whore out the Avengers too many damn times when Marvel has a staple of Superheroes at the fucking beckoning that would work like the Teen Titans and Young Justice. It is not that fucking hard to pull a DC and market your lesser known superheroes. Jesus, you have the Young Avengers that would work for your teenaged crowd or even the Runways or Avengers Academy. Stop milking this shit and acting like the Avengers are your only franchise. It is ruining your marketing direction and it also ruining other franchises that so desperately need some attention.

• Thumbs Up 3

They whore out the Avengers too many damn times when Marvel has a staple of Superheroes at the fucking beckoning that would work like the Teen Titans and Young Justice. It is not that fucking hard to pull a DC and market your lesser known superheroes. Jesus, you have the Young Avengers that would work for your teenaged crowd or even the Runways or Avengers Academy. Stop milking this shit and acting like the Avengers are your only franchise. It is ruining your marketing direction and it also ruining other franchises that so desperately need some attention.

As much as I'd love an Avengers Academy cartoon, or Runaway (and lord do I want that) the way that things are being run over there right now we'd only get a bastardized versions of these. In order to get them right we'd need a true defining art syle and direction for these show adaptations, and writers that actually get the characters like how Yost got the Avengers originally in EMH.

But as it stands current show runners are unwilling to let another animated studio touch their shows, and have it in their collective heads that constantly bringing the same writers, MOH for every new cartoon is a good idea. We'd only get something half-hearted with inconsistently written characters at this rate.

Oh and we have a new preview episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=runIR_wupM8

Honestly it looks kind of promising to me.

As much as I'd love an Avengers Academy cartoon, or Runaway (and lord do I want that) the way that things are being run over there right now we'd only get a bastardized versions of these. In order to get them right we'd need a true defining art syle and direction for these show adaptations, and writers that actually get the characters like how Yost got the Avengers originally in EMH.

But as it stands current show runners are unwilling to let another animated studio touch their shows, and have it in their collective heads that constantly bringing the same writers, MOH for every new cartoon is a good idea. We'd only get something half-hearted with inconsistently written characters at this rate.

Oh and we have a new preview episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=runIR_wupM8

Honestly it looks kind of promising to me.

Oh boy, its a new version of the space ghost, the third enemy or so the avengers faced in the comics! he was a body swapper of sorts, cept he copied someone then sent them to a pocket dimension, only Thor was immune

And here we have some summaries for the first few episodes of Avengers Assemble.

1-03 Ghost of a Chance
Original Airdate - July 7th, 2013
The rookie Falcon stands alone to save his team and stop a full-scale invasion of Earth after the Avengers fall victim to the body-swapping Space Phantoms.

1-04 The Serpent of Doom
Original Airdate - July 14th, 2013
Thor believes he must sacrifice himself to save the world from Doctor Doom, who summons the Midgard Serpent using a powerful Asgardian weapon.

1-05 Blood Feud
Original Airdate - July 21st, 2013
To save Black Widow, Captain America leads the team into battle against a former World War II ally who he struggles to convince the team is a real person.

1-06 Super Adaptoid
Original Airdate - July 28th, 2013
The Avengers are out-gunned by the high-tech, power-mimicking Super-Adaptoid, and Captain America is the last man standing against the ultimate artificial intelligence!

Serpent of Doom and Super Adaptoid both sound promising, hope they can deliver on them.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm, shows growing on me a bit even though I have only watched the first 2 episodes, I mean they are bringing in Attuma! which means Namor the Submariner is going to show up.. hmm wonder if any of the other invaders like the whizzer or Human torch will show up(the android one)

• 3 weeks later...

So been watching a couple of them, its noot perfect and they messed up a fact or two(like Thor is immune to the space phantoms), but overall its not bad, and they definately like the obscure, I mean I am watching an episode with dracula right now!