Awoo.

Free Comic Book Day 2013

kimplix

It's that time of year again! The first Saturday in May is Free Comic Book Day! Local comic book shops up and down the country will be handing out free limited edition comics. There's about 50 titles, some rarer than others, so ring ahead if there's one in particular you're after. :)

May the Fourth be with you!

Hmm, there is a comic shop here, but whether it's taking part is unknown to me.

Might take a look down after lunch.

*sigh* I always miss free comic book day :( stupid weekend work.....

Is there a Sonic title this year?

Yes there is, but it's just a reprint of half of StH#247 and MM#23. 

Got the following issues from it. The comic shop had a max limit of 3 issues per customer;

-Sonic/Mega Man: Worlds Collide (Archie)

-Dragonball/Ruronni Kenshin (Shonen Jump)

-DC Nation Super Sampler (DC Nation)

Yes there is, but it's just a reprint of half of StH#247 and MM#23. 

Got the following issues from it. The comic shop had a max limit of 3 issues per customer;

-Sonic/Mega Man: Worlds Collide (Archie)

-Dragonball/Ruronni Kenshin (Shonen Jump)

-DC Nation Super Sampler (DC Nation)

But at least the flip book features a poster/checklist. Also, they allowed mostly everyone to take what free comic they want at my local comic store. So i got a lot of comics today by the looks of it o_o

My comic book store in Plymouth has it tomorrow instead of today, because they have another store in St Austell which is where they're doing it now. It's a nuisance, cos I'm not around tomorrow to pick anything up! D:

THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS THREAD

Seriously, thank you. I would have forgotten Free comic Book day even existed otherwise.

I'll be passing by my local comics shop for Sonic/Megaman one. Maybe I'll see others that tickle my fancy. We're allowed up to 5 over here.

Edited by Cola
  • Thumbs Up 2

First time doing free comic book day. Great stuff, though we had no Sonic comics :-( I got Dragonball & Infinity though.

So my local comic book store normally has 3 people in it... me some random guy or girl, and the owner.

Today... the line was down the street, I couldn't believe it and neither could the owner! The way he does it is 'One of each comic until he runs out.'

I got there 15 min after opening and was able to come out with

Superman: The last Son of Krypton (might actually have to pick up the rest, really enjoyed this issue).

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: New Animated Adventures (again a really good issue).

Royden Lepp's Rust / Mouse Guard (not read yet)

The Walking Dead (really great issue... why have I not picked up an anthology yet?)

Kaboom! Summer Blast (not read yet, but it's the largest comic of the bunch).

Infinity (not read yet).

Hulk and the agents of S.M.A.S.H! (not read yet).

Beware the Batman (This looks utterly terrible).

Sonic the Hedgehog/Mega Man (Christ archie... I thought your free comic book from last year was cheap, this is just desperate.)

So pretty decent hawl, really enjoyed Superman and the Walking Dead, shame there was no Spiderman there, but decent hawl.

• Thumbs Up 1

Beware the Batman (This looks utterly terrible).

It's less Batman and more Teen Titans. The story is apparently an older comic, or at least a comic version of a TV episode of the original series. New series hasn't featured Terra as far as I know.

Edit: The Teen Titan story is definitely for kids though; it has a connect the dot game and a maze puzzle like some sort of British tween mag which would otherwise have arts and crafts as well as grossout stories/princess stories.

Sonic the Hedgehog/Mega Man (Christ archie... I thought your free comic book from last year was cheap, this is just desperate.)

Yeah, at least last year's one had some bonus content in the form of the anthology short stories.

Edited by VEDJ-F

Not really into comic books but I went down to the Forbidden Planet a few minutes away from me. Actually never been before. eventually  I got into the comic book isle after constantly fan-gaseming all other the stores high amount of Merchandise.  The staff where there constantly re stacking shelves and something tells me they were gonna go quick. I grabbed the Worlds Collide prelude and essentially everything on the shelf! Also I brought Issue #248 of Archie Sonic! I came out with 10 comic books and one paid and only paid £3!

P.S No limits in mah store!

No limits in mah store!

Same as me bro. Hope to get more free comics on Monday as they might have some left over ^^

Edited by kimplix

I'm so glad there's a comic book store near my friend's house

I shall indulge.

I would love to go but...

I'll end up spending more money on comics and that can take forever. Not to mention I'm sick.

But go have fun without Crow in a comic store for me. :/

I go every year, going in about 15 minutes myself.

I dunno which comics I am gonna go grab myself, probably not the Sonic/Mega Man one though. I find the FCBD Sonic comics to be a bit of a waste. I mean yeah they're free, but I'd rather use that slot on something else since usually there is a limit here. Bummed out there is no Spidey this year but w/e. Gonna probably pick up Mr.Puzzle since the guy who worked on/made that used to frequent a comics community I am on.

but I'd rather use that slot on something else since usually there is a limit here.

Don't waste it on the Sonic one then, it's not worth it at all, especially since it's just a sample from an issue which came out last month, and it's not that particually good either.

From the ones I got... I'd probably go for these.

Turtles new animated adventures (Definately number 1 choice! was really suprised at how good the story was as well as the humor in it. reminded me a lot of the 80's show yet it was really upto date with the art and dialogue)

The Walking Dead (Probably just because it was a great slice of the walking dead series that they picked).

Superman: Last Son of Krypton (This felt like a full complete issue, did what FCBD is technically designed for, got me interested in Superman comics/looking out for the full arc). 

Hulk and the agents of S.M.A.S.H! (not read yet).

Let me know how this one in particular turns out. It's getting it's own cartoon after all.

By the looks of my free comics today, these are what I got

wkbaBhx.jpg

Planet of the apes variants (the top row and I can't figure out what variant letters they are because of sealing them up)

-Steed and Mrs Peel Variant Cover G & F

-The Hypernatuals Variant Cover D

these 6 were the last ones left and i snagged them in time before getting the other comics

OyBsA30.jpg

-Sonic/Mega Man flipbook
-The Walking Dead
-Ugly Doll Comics
-Kaboom! Summer Blast
-Superman Special Edition
-Absolution The Beginning
-Hulk Agents of SMASH (Avengers Assemble preview)
-Buck Rogers
-Mr. Puzzle
-DC Nation Super Sampler
-DBZ & Rurouni Kenshin Restoration flipbook
-Prince Valiant Fantagraphics
-Harbringer Wars Spec Valiant 2013
-Judge Dredd Classics
-Fellerman L Amour Sampler
-Marble Season
-Mouse Guard/Rust Flip Book (for my lil daughter)
-Pippi Longstocking Color Special
-Rated Free For Everyone
-Chakra the Invincible Preview
-The Tick
-Top Shelf Kids Club
-Valiant Master Showcase ED
-Worlds of Aspen
-Bongo Free-For-All

Most are doubles, triples and quadruples but the only ones I couldn't get were the star wars/avatar flip book, the world of Archie digest, the smurfs, TMNT, Spongebob freestyle funnies, action time buddies, bleeding cool, Mass Effect (would or could be my top favourite pick for today), NFL rush hour, overstreet comic book, steam engines of OZ and the red ten. Overall it was a good day ^^

Edited by kimplix

Lucky bastard, by the time I got to the Comic store (still relatively early) most of the cool shit was gone (including MegaMan/Sonic) so I had to make due with Superman, Walking Dead, and a back issue of Flash (the only one I bought)

The place was barren when I got there. 5 comic limit, too.

Ended up coming out with:

• Superman
  • Hulk and the Agents of SMASH
  • The Walking Dead
  • NFL Rush Zone
  • Top Shelf's Kids Club

Those were the only ones there. At least I got a sticker, eh?

They still had lots of stuff at the comic shop I went to, but they only allowed 5 comics per customer, so here's what I got:

- Dragon Ball / Rurouni Kenshin: Restoration

- Sonic / Megaman -Worlds Collide Prelude

- TMNT New Animated Adventures

- The Walking Dead

- Superman: Last Son of Krypton

Pretty cool stuff (except Sonic and Megaman. I kinda regret getting it... at least the cover art is pretty cool, I guess)

Edited by Sora