Awoo.

Amicable Sonic Unleashed Status Updates Discussion - Mod Approved.

SenEDDtor Missile

I'm glad you posted this before I did, because I wasn't going to be as level-headed about it as I usually am.

The way I've seen what's going on is that Unleashed fans themselves are being intentionally antagonized in the statuses every month or so- beyond just mere criticism of the game- and when I, Verte, or someone else calls out the shitty antagonizing, people hide behind this frustrating veil of "You're being too sensitive" or "Why can't I hate this game in public?" or "Colors/Gens fans have it just as bad" (a veritable lie from what I've seen) in order to completely deflect any criticism of their shitty behavior.

In short, this is "Green Eyes" and Anti-Pony level of douchebaggery, and I'm sick of it. It's not about the stupid game anymore; it's about blatant disrespect to fellow members and I want the shit to stop.

Let's just say my original mental drafts were a great deal nastier, but frankly I don't want Tornado to shut my ass down, and also everytime I've been nasty about something, it always backfired in my face. And frankly, I just want answers now, and I won't get them if I'm being a tool about it.

I can't help but feel that my Unleashed vs Colors topic was the catalyst of this somewhat, due not being as nearly as apparent as it was before, not to mention once a week there would always be a mini-war in the statuses whenever a new round would start; :/

So where am I going with all of this? Well, really it's just to ask: "WHY is this being done, and can't we at least have a relatively well reasoned and less unsavory method of discussing it without resorting to this?"

Because certain people, in their lack of tact, have to resort to making out that they view the fans that give Unleashed well-deserved credit regarding "superficial" aspects such as story, presentation and worldbuilding have no credibility whatsoever. This is very much akin to those who label Sonic 4's haters on the basis of green eyes as idiots except for the fact that the Unleashed fans actually have completely reasonable and non-ridiculous reasons as to why they like Unleashed. Because the Unleashed haters HAVE to make Unleashed look bad no matter what, they go to the level of undermining perfectly salient points in defence of it as well as insult it's fans.

Part of this is undoubtedly because of said people's love of Colours; Any defence of Unleashed, no matter how credible, is seen as an attack on Colours for some reason because Unleashed has what it doesn't have regardless over whether or not Colours is ever even mentioned in the Unleashed's liker's proclamation. So it degenerates into a Colours Vs Unleashed war because the Unleashed fans are sick and tired of Colours bringing brought up when it isn't relevant to the point they're getting across and becausethe Colours fans, by comparison, see th game as far superior and that many arguments to the contrary or even perfectly salient criticism are null and void.

Edited by Vertekins
  • Thumbs Up 6

I can't help but feel that my Unleashed vs Colors topic was the catalyst of this somewhat, due not being as nearly as apparent as it was before, not to mention once a week there would always be a mini-war in the statuses whenever a new round would start; :/

I don't blame you for this, and frankly I acted like an ass to you on more than one occasion. Sorry.

It goes like this:

Unleashed gets a lot of love on these forums compared to other places.

People disagree.

Debate ensues. This is notable as a lot of the notable Unleashed likers aren't keen on Colours (Nepenthe, E.D, a few other people) so it's assumed it's a jab at Colours.

Statuses happen and therefore it gets more heated.

Godwin's Law gets invoked.

People get REALLY MAD.

Edited by Semi-colon e

Well..............if I'm going to be perfectly honest with you........................I don't think you should take these comments too seriously. No one actually intents to hurt you, and in the end......it's just a game. Why should you care if people take jabs at it, you don't have to feel obligated to defend it, you like the game and that's that. I think you're taking this too seriously, no one actually took personal jabs at you, just at the game itself. 

In the end it's just a game, no need to take it so seriously. 

• Thumbs Up 8

I'm gonna put my head on the line and try and present the case of the Antis. God help me.

I think both sides are rather confused with each other. The Pro-Unleashed fans see the above posts as yet more bile spewed at a game they just happen to like, and (usually) react with with some swiftness to put a stop to things. The Anti-Unleashed guys, on the other hand. see the above as just dumb jabs at a game they don't like. Maybe they're being a bit tough, but it's all in good fun (I dare you to read that "UnleaSHIT" comment in a completely serious tone). The Pro-Unleashed guys coming in and hastily defending their game, then, seems over-reactionary and overly serious. Think of it as you joking with your pal about... uh... Twilight, and then out of nowhere these Twilight fans start laying their case down for why it's totally not crap you jerks knock it off. It comes as baffling, in part, because tone is so hard to get across in plain text. A lot of bile gets mistaken for joking and vice versa, and it only serves to make things tense around here.

• Thumbs Up 7

Well..............if I'm going to be perfectly honest with you........................I don't think you should take these comments too seriously. No one actually intents to hurt you, and in the end......it's just a game. Why should you care if people take jabs at it, you don't have to feel obligated to defend it, you like the game and that's that. I think you're taking this too seriously, no one actually took personal jabs at you, just at the game itself. 

It's no longer about the game, but about people who are acting in a condescending manner, getting away with it, and then repeating the process over and over until things become nothing more than a mindless brawl.

• Thumbs Up 3

Where I don't agree with the attitude of the members invoking this sort of heat, I still feel that you are being a bit too sensitive about a video game, because unfortunately the whole "this game is shit, this game is better, let me be an obnoxious dick hole about it and get like minded people to start a LOLWAR somewhere" is absolutely every where, and even applies to movies and music too.

Some people just take it too far and legitimately anger other people.

Can I just say this doesn't apply just to unleashed? But many subjects in question that will cause immense clashing opinions and heated debates, although Unleashed vs Colours has been the theme lately because of Soniman's topic I digress, but for someone who is joking and just trying to start flames, they sure are fucking dragging in on and on trying to cause a whole forest fire, it really is sad.

• Thumbs Up 6

Godwin's Law gets invoked.

Oddly enough, that little incident was the only part to make me actually pissed off regarding this whole mess.

Anyhow, I'll be honest with you E.D. your behaviour was bothering me a little, but I do sympathize quite a bit. I mean, I like Unleashed too, but not only that, I love Colours, and that game gets quite a lot of pointless jabs, too. It can get tiring, especially when it goes from mocking the game to mocking the people who like/defend it. "lolatmosphere" and all that.

Not sure what else to say ... I guess I'm interested in seeing if this goes anywhere.

Edited by elementofchaos
  • Thumbs Up 3

Soniman, your topic is not at fault, so don't feel guilty for making it. If nothing else, that idea sprung from the fact that there was already status drama of this caliber going on. This isn't recent at all. I've seen "trololol atmosphere" statuses going back months and months.

I'll just start off by saying that I'm fully supportive of bringing issues such as this out into the open so that we can discuss it as a community, and if people are feeling bullied then that's something that needs to be addressed ASAP. But in this case, is it possible that people may be taking things just a little too seriously? I remember seeing some of those status updates in that image when they were posted; most of the time it's just playful banter/joking around. In other words, I don't think anyone is maliciously intending to cause emotional stress or otherwise make people feel like shit with these comments. We have to remember that this is the Internet, where sarcasm and levels of seriousness don't transfer well. I'm not supporting the behavior, but I doubt that there's a malicious intent behind it.

I'm not saying that it shouldn't be addressed; just that we shouldn't necessarily assume that people are being malicious by making these comments. I think the solution is a compromise between the two sides; Unleashed fans should be slightly less sensitive (Gawd, it's hard to say that without sounding like a dick), and everyone else should recognize when their joking is causing a problem.

Edited by Frogging101
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oddly enough, that little incident was the only part to make me actually pissed off regarding this whole mess.

Anyhow, I'll be honest with you E.D. your behaviour was bothering me a little, but I do sympathize quite a bit. I mean, I like Unleashed too, but not only that, I love Colours, and that game gets quite a lot of pointless jabs, too. It can get tiring, especially when it goes from mocking the game to mocking the people who like/defend it. "lolatmosphere" and all that.

Not sure what else to say ... I guess I'm interested in seeing if this goes anywhere.

My actions, especially a day ago, weren't excusable, so I apologize again for being so rash.

I have to wonder how '06 fans feel about this.

Hm...

• Thumbs Up 1

That UnleaSHIT joke was absolutely atrocious. Not funny in the slightest.

Whoever wrote that should be ashamed of themselves. I don't mind the comment, but the joke was just not funny.

Edit: also i'm honestly surprised this has escalated so much

C'mon guys, it's just video games can't we just present our arguments in a dignified manner and just get along

Edited by Cola
  • Thumbs Up 2

Soniman, your topic is not at fault, so don't feel guilty for making it. If nothing else, that idea sprung from the fact that there was already status drama of this caliber going on. This isn't recent at all. I've seen "trololol atmosphere" statuses going back months and months.

Yeah that is true, but before it would usually just be once in a blue moon rather a scheduled weekly status war, which is what resulted in this topic in the first place.

Agreed. The best thing to do is to just ignore the anti-Unleashed people and vice versa. It's just a videogame, it's your opinion (as long as it's justified and well critiqued) and don't get too bloody sensitive about it.

Edited by Gabz Girl
  • Thumbs Up 1

oH WAIT IT WAS MOVED AWAY FROM THE SONIC BOARD, NOT TO IT?

Oh allow me then.

I'm all for a good ribbing. I also think Missile was getting too heated, and even tried to get him to relax in private (no not that).

That said, and as much as I have trouble remembering it, this is not 4chan nor is the entire internet obliged to abide by "internet rules". This forum prefers a bit more cordiality.

And things like attaching like hawks to a badly-placed Godwin's law to completely ignore what was being said and cackle instead is pretty sad to see.

tl;dr - stop causing so much drama over games, both sides- realise when your joking is causing trouble, and develop a tougher skin if you're being subject to jokes

Edited by Captain Harlock
  • Thumbs Up 3

It's no longer about the game, but about people who are acting in a condescending manner, getting away with it, and then repeating the process over and over until things become nothing more than a mindless brawl.

Towards the game, not you. The game doesn't have feelings, dose it?

I'm sorry I'm kinda calling you out like this, but I've seen you call out a member and blame all the things in the Sonic franchise that you don't like at the moment on him in a status update (and basically saying that assholes like him were to the barriers to what you consider progress, even though I know those won't your exact words), just because he said that he was fine with the safer direction the franchise is going in. I really think you take this too seriously. 

I just never saw the point of getting riled up when someone insults a game you like. In the end, even if you're really passionate about games like I and many others are, it's a trivial thing to get insulted over. 

​EDIT: Oh and the "X member has stupid opinions?" comments? Apply same logic. People are just making jokes and they don't actually intend to hurt you. Me and my friends hurl insults at each other as jokes all the time and we're really close friends so I don't see the problem. 

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)
  • Thumbs Up 5

First of all the jokes aren't actually funny so pulling the "I'm just joking" card is super lame because these are in fact rather shit jokes, have you ever thought of that?

Secondly, no. There does come a point where you really need to think about what you're saying because the people who say this stuff know that they are pissing off people by saying them, and guess what? This isn't exactly very fun behavior unless you're a 4channer or something. Maybe your time would be better spent making jokes that aren't in bitter taste and people can actually laugh at in good nature.

So to sum up, perhaps you should start making jokes that are actually funny and not terrible, and maybe you should stop having your entire "humorous" status activity revolve around pissing off people, because no one wants this. "It's just a game," huh? Then if it really is just a game then stop making a big deal about it yourself.

Jokes not being good doesn't mean they weren't meant as jokes, comrade. As to your second point, I haven't honestly seen much of that. I've seen people make light of Unleashed fans being so quick to leap into the fray. No one has seriously said something like "X is ridiculous for liking Y." It's almost always some general crowd feeling the absolutely burning sting of some guy's random one-off comment.

Thirdly, it's in part this sort of behavior I was referring to. No one's here to persecute anyone, comrade. We're all here to get to the bottom of this issue.

• Thumbs Up 5