Awoo.

Amicable Sonic Unleashed Status Updates Discussion - Mod Approved.

SenEDDtor Missile

Replies in bold. 

Most of the "Intelligent" discussions lately are few and far between if I'm honest...there have been a few good threads but blah.

Well that's because discusion is stagnating, which is a result of literally discussing everything worthwile to discuss. 

It's nothing about being uptight. I could not give one or two shits if somebody didn't like Unleashed and liked to mock the Werehog, there are a lot of things easy to mock about the Werehog. even though he's totally adorbs

There's something wrong with the "fun" when it's at the expense of other people, it's a simple social thing. You just have to honestly try to make sure you aren't looking like a dick when you really don't mean to. It's hard to tell whether someone is trying to get a rile out of people or just poking harmless fun man.

And for this reason of not being able to tell well is to generally give people the benefit of the doubt and just don't take it personally. 

Somehow I logged on after these statuses were kicked off the page. Shit SSMB, get it together. This is bad, this is about as bad as Sega Forums shit. I've seen worse insults towards Unleashed and its fans over there but this comes way too close. I don't think I've ever made an inflammatory status like this, if so it was a joke, but still "goddamn. I'm personally on the Colors side, but I'm also on the side that thinks Generations renders both these games obsolete. Let's just chill out for a while and not become another primal fanboy forum.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because statuses like these;

ARE clearly done for the sake of both insulting Unleashed fans and for the sake of trying to get a rise out of them. That is not joking and I cannot honestly see how you can see it as that, it's a low-blow at Unleashed fans by stating that they're arguments in defence of Unleashed are meritless when they're nothing of the sort.

Not necessarily. I don't see anything overly insulting to the people themselves in these, merely the games. Which again, don't have feelings. 

I'm just going to echo my previous point of saying it's just a game, why should you care if people insult a game you like? It's a pretty trivial thing to get insulted over. 

EDIT: Shit the quotes from the person I was quoting didn't show up, how do I fix this?

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

Replies in bold. 

Well that's because discusion is stagnating, which is a result of literally discussing everything worthwile to discuss.

And for this reason of not being able to tell well is to generally give people the benefit of the doubt and just don't take it personally.

I'll generally leave the discussion part alone.

Honestly I feel this is bullshit. You expect me to not take a...well, personal attack on me personally? If something is offensive to me, sure it wouldn't be good to react in a completely negative way but I would at least let the person know I didn't like what he or she said, or how they said it.

I mean, if we're gonna do that, shouldn't you give the benefit of the doubt and try not to make your joke sound terrible? And once again out of good taste, I'd recommend avoiding so many jokes if tensions are high. Sometimes it's best to just let things cool down.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not necessarily. I don't see anything overly insulting to the people themselves in these, merely the games. Which again, don't have feelings. 

I'm just going to echo my previous point of saying it's just a game, why should you care if people insult a game you like? It's a pretty trivial thing to get insulted over. 

Me and 'penthe have already pointed this out; We don't necrsarily care about digs towards Unleashed. What we DO care about is the way in which some of our arguments in defense of Unleashed are mocked because of the reasoning that some aspects of our defence of it are 'ridiculous'. Fact; They aren't. There is a difference.

Edited by Vertekins
  • Thumbs Up 2

Not necessarily. I don't see anything overly insulting to the people themselves in these, merely the games.

Seriously dude? They're straight up mocking the people and saying basically nothing about the games.

Me and 'penthe have already pointed this out; We don't necrsarily care about digs towards Unleashed. What we DO care about is the way in which some of our arguments in defense of Unleashed are mocked. There is a difference.

I'm sure no one actually meant ire towards you when they "mocked" your arguments. If it bothers you that much PM then about how you feel.

...Speaking of, I've seen digs at both games in the status updates but I've never actually seen people do that. Got some examples?

EDIT: Shit the quotes from the person I was quoting didn't show up, how do I fix this?

It's more that the vibe I get is "Oh, you have opinions? Well too bad, your opinions are shit, and you should feel bad for having them. Our opinions are better than yours" rather than "I don't like this game because so and so, and I'm in disagreement with you" like a less inflammatory discussion would end up being.

• Thumbs Up 4

Mocking condescension towards the actual arguments people put forward to say why they like something, regardless of what that something is, ceases to be playing the argument and starts playing the man.

• Thumbs Up 6

It's more that the vibe I get is "Oh, you have opinions? Well too bad, your opinions are shit, and you should feel bad for having them. Our opinions are better than yours" rather than "I don't like this game because so and so, and I'm in disagreement with you" like a less inflammatory discussion would end up being.

Well....honestly...why do you care? Why do you care if people act like that? In the end it's just a game, you like what you like and there's no need to get so personally defensive because someone thought you were stupid for not liking something they like (not like they do anyway, people just like to joke around). In the end it's just over games, forget about it and move on. 

Well....honestly...why do you care? Why do you care if people act like that? In the end it's just a game, you like what you like and there's no need to get so personally defensive because someone thought you were stupid for not liking something they like (not like they do anyway, people just like to joke around). In the end it's just over games, forget about it and move on. 

Well I don't care (as much) if people don't AGREE with me, but I do care about whether they respect that I have that opinion. Those comments clearly don't, therefore I reacted.

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile

Because it's mean-spirited and not at all something that should just be shrugged off? I know this is the internet but that's hardly an excuse for stupidity.

Oh and

not like they do anyway, people just like to joke around

Some of it, maybe, but the examples Verte gave on the very last page?

Edited by elementofchaos

All these stupid little wars about two good Sonic games (they're not amazing lets be fair) are getting out of hand. Slightly off topic, but will the staff maybe consider getting rid of status updates now? Obviously this has happened before, but I think it's getting really ridiculous now.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to wonder how '06 fans feel about this.
I have neutral feelings towards 06 and people act like I will literally burn in hell. Heck, I feel a little discriminated against over a video game.

All these stupid little wars about two good Sonic games (they're not amazing lets be fair) are getting out of hand. Slightly off topic, but will the staff maybe consider getting rid of status updates now? Obviously this has happened before, but I think it's getting really ridiculous now.

What, and remove half the fun from SSMB? No, a shit ton of people would leave. Yeah I know it can get stupid sometimes but they are an awesome place to hang out and honestly? If they were gone...it would be bye-bye me. 

I'm sorry, but by this logic we might as well shut down the entire forum.

Why does Missile care? Because his (and Verte's and Nepenthe's and etc.) personal opinions are being boiled down to hollow shells of what they actually are, then paraded around the index (and in the discussions themselves) as being their opinions instead. Why should they be alright with someone intentionally misrepresenting their argument; and then others coming along as a result and being biased against them before they can even begin discussing anything?

Because in the end it's just an internet fourm and this stuff happens? I see no reason to get personally offended just because someone bent your opinion and ran with it.

....IDK, maybe I just don't take fourms as seriously as everyone else does. I just see it as a fun place to hang out and talk about Sonic and other stuff, that's all it's ever been to me, a place to discuss and hang out with people who like the same stuff as me. 

Just because something isn't personally offensive or harmful to you, doesn't mean everybody else has to be fine with it.

And the "why is everyone taking this so seriously?" thing is a bit silly to me. Just because it's online, doesn't make things harmless. I mean, you're talking to actual people who have feelings (well, mostly) over the internet, not robots.

Edited by elementofchaos

Would that really be the best action to take? A lot of people (including myself) enjoy the status updates. We shouldn't have to suffer the consequences for some misguided actions by others.

Resolving issues regarding this situation would be the best move to take in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 4

I suppose so...I use the status messages sometimes too. It's when I see crap like this that just makes me facepalm and question some of the users on this forum.

Edited by Gabz Girl

What does SSMB being a forum have to do with anything? Since when does this excuse trolling and other asshole behavior? Forums aren't populated with bots; most users are real people who make up a fluid community, real people who subsequently have the ability to act like dicks, and may be especially prone to doing so due to the anonymity the web affords. And as real people, it is expected of us to get upset at dickish behavior. As a result, we have rules, staff, and social conduct in place to mitigate the damage potentially done by assholes.

Saying that I shouldn't be offended by people being assholes to me because the assholes are on the Internet is a non-argument ignoring key truths about online interaction. I wouldn't tolerate it under other circumstances of communication where the person isn't present, like a phone call or mail.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just because something isn't personally offensive or harmful to you, doesn't mean everybody else has to be fine with it.

Never said that, I was just stating that I never saw the point of people getting offended personally. 

And the "why is everyone taking this so seriously?" thing is a bit silly to me. Just because it's online, doesn't make things harmless. I mean, you're talking to actual people who have feelings (well, mostly) over the internet, not robots.

Well yeah but things get misinterpreted over the internet all the damn time because people don't have other cues to deduce what the person is trying to put across. Which is why I think it's best to give the benefit of the doubt and not take things so damn seriously over the internet. 

This reminds me of school.

A few bratty kids keep the entire class in for recess because of something they've done.

I know we're better than that, and I'd hope that it wouldn't have to come to the removal of the statuses.

Anyway, Chaos Warp, what's going on here would be like walking up to someone in the middle of a conversation, saying that their opinion is stupid, telling them to go fuck themselves, and walking off.

Okay, that might be a horrible example but it gets the point across? Maybe?

The point is, people don't like being insulted with no rhyme or reason. is this a good argument i have no idea where i am going with this

A few bratty kids keep the entire class in for recess because of something they've done.

I know we're better than that, and I'd hope that it wouldn't have to come to the removal of the statuses.

Anyway, Chaos Warp, what's going on here would be like walking up to someone in the middle of a conversation, saying that their opinion is stupid, telling them to go fuck themselves, and walking off.

Okay I don't think ANYONE ever intended to come on that strong.

No it doesn't, especially when no one really did that. 

The point is, people don't like being insulted with no rhyme or reason

No one is being insulted. In the end, games are, and who cares if games get insulted. . is this a good argument i have no idea where i am going with this

The point is, people don't like being insulted with no rhyme or reason. is this a good argument i have no idea where i am going with this

It's more taking someones opinion, turning it into a strawman, parading it around, and getting people to point fingers at the original speaker and sneer and laugh at them for the butchered opinion, and then when the authorities come around, those people go "we dun nothin'" and get away with it, only to start the process again later.

• Thumbs Up 1

Chaos, consider/imagine that for the next 30 posts you make, I'll keep going on the status update to write "lel posts about drama. Y SO SERIUSSS GUYSEEEEES LEL LEL".

If you contact me asking me to stop, I'll reply with "BACK OFF MAN IT'S JUST A FORUM".

Edited by Captain Harlock