Awoo.

Amicable Sonic Unleashed Status Updates Discussion - Mod Approved.

SenEDDtor Missile

So people get personally offended when their arguments get reduced to strawmen for the sake of a joke..........the joke is about the argument, not about the person. They didn't call you a stupid (insert racial slur here) or anything, I see no reason to get personally offended. It's just an argument you made on a fourm, I just say let it roll of your shoulder and move on. 

You're basically saying that it's their fault for being offended, which is ridiculous. Just because you can ignore when someone mocks your opinions to the extent that people start thinking the mockery is your actual opinion doesn't mean that everyone else is obligated to feel the same way when it happens to them.

• Thumbs Up 2

And the point you've missed is that it's not the argument I've made for the game in the first place. I've got a well-rounded opinion about Unleashed of which the atmosphere is only a singular component of, yet people willingly ignore this to make stupid jokes. It is also not just a joke; this misrepresentation has been seriously discussed in the status updates and appropriate topics as something we actually fucking believe, so there is an element of sincerity to it that makes it impossible for anyone to say it's just all in jest. I also disagree with this notion that there is no intent to insult when these jokes are made. When people are mocking your argument in this manner, they are inherently mocking how you've explained yourself and your inherent position to attack you. "lol atmosphere" is the same thing as "lol rape can be cancelled" in reference to Republicans; the intent is to mock them just as much as it is mocking an argument that may not actually be representative of what most Republicans think. You don't have to be direct to be insulting. In general though, I wish you'd stop telling me not to be offended by people being dicks.

So what you're saying here is you think your opinion is somehow better then there's because it's "more well-rounded", therefore when people make a joke about it they are taking a stab at your "well-crafted argument" and this offends you? See my previous post. 

So what you're saying here is you think your opinion is somehow better then there's because it's "more well-rounded", therefore when people make a joke about it they are taking a stab at your "well-crafted argument" and this offends you? See my previous post. 

It stops being a joke when it's done clearly with the intent of treating an argument as shit and that the people who wrote said argument as idiots. Dear lord, why is this so hard for you to understand?

Oh great, now I'm getting riled. And I have homework that needs doing, so I'm off after this.

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile

Nepenthe's opinion is better than theirs because it is an actual attempt to express an opinion rather than an attempt to derail her ability to express hers by intentionally misrepresenting it.

• Thumbs Up 7

I sure do wish I could find an example of people misinterpreting an Unleashed's fan's statement so I could use it as a demonstration. Too bad such a thing would be hard to find at such short notice! Oh, wait--

There it is! Seriously, where did she say that, exactly? Nobody is upset about people hating Unleashed alone, it's how that dislike is presented that is  the issue. Is it really that hard to believe, or understand for that matter?

She didn't say anything of the sort and you have literally no grounds from which to make this kind of interpretation from her post.

'Penthe's opinion regarding worldbuilding/characterization etc is only a single aspect of her extremely well crafted argument in defense of Unleashed. So when this aspect is mocked openly, it makes others think that her stance on Unleashed as a whole hinges on worldbuilding/characterization when it's far more than that.

Unsurprisingly, the same person who made that status has also mocked exulters of the Storybook's games stories (Such as me) by making out that they claim that those game's stories are perfect when this is bullshit and a complete misrepresentation of what those people have said.

Bleh, he's gone. No point pursuing him when he's not even here.

The point I'm making is not that they're taking a stab at my argument. The point is that they're deliberately making a strawman out of it to directly insult me. I have no idea why this is incomprehensible to you. If you don't give a shit that someone on the Internet makes fun of you, that's fine; but you've failed to define why everyone should act the way you do. Do you inherently disagree with rules against flaming and trolling? I honestly don't get your vehement defense of months' long mockery of your fellow members.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, is this like a thing? Do people just assume Unleashed fans are acting superior when they get upset about these "jokes"? Who the heck wouldn't? You're not actually debating with them. So, THIS is the source of the Strawman arguments, then.

You deserve a goddamn medal in Missing The Fucking Point.

Seriously, it takes skill to misinterpret a post this badly.

• Thumbs Up 9

The Unleashed fans have every right to be upset if nobody is trying to argue against their points, but rather making comments on how their opinion sucks for like it or just simplifying it. That's not arguing anything, that's just insult the opposition because you don't feel like putting forth the effort to actually make a decent argument.

So yes, if someone is trying to tell my word doesn't mean shit despite the fact that I made a damn good argument and they haven't done nowhere near the same, then yea I'd be a little pissed too.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm still not entirely sure why people need to be so stupid about it anyway. If you don't like Unleashed, you don't like Unleashed. Who cares if other people like it? Why do you need to go after them for liking it?

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

Enough. There is no point in debating this Chaos Warp when you clearly misunderstand and are constantly twisting the words of every single thing people are trying to get across in this topic. I am absolutely appalled at the farce that is going on in this topic simply because you refuse to listen to what nearly everyone is trying to get across and we are tired of repeating ourselves. If you don't even want to even attempt, attempt to understand the argument then I suggest you don't say anything, rather than insult us with bucketloads of strawmans.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'll just say this.

If I offended anyone with my stupid jokes, I'm sorry.

In addition, I can definitely confirm that BOTH sides were participating in shit flinging and petty insults and, instead of this topic turning this into an even bigger issue like it is now, it'd be best if we all just made sure nothing like this happens again.

If the Unleashed stuff isn't okay, this sort of belittling shouldn't be okay either, yet it is treated as such. Not that I agree with Chaos Warp, but still.

If we're gonna be against the whole insulting other members shtick, we should be consistent about it and not pick and choose based on who's more popular or some shit like that.

Brings me back to this thread.

(I also feel when you "LIKE" those types of comments, you're promoting that it's OK.)

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 3