Awoo.

New Zone/Trope Combination Ideas

WarioBone

Amazing concepts as usual, Wari- I mean Met- I mean Warib- I mean THE BABY....?

Wish I could think of some stuff up, but my stage concepts are next to horrible in my opinion, sooooo....

At the very least though, it'd be cool to have the zones all following a distinct pattern, like a time-of-day thing (kind of like what my CoNPF thing is going for- WHOOPSNOFREEADVERTISINGINTENDED) like having, say, Star Light after Sunset Hill, and then followed by Windmill Isle. (I know, bad matchup, but hey, it was the first thing I could think of)

I'm still thinking of zone concepts, but... I don't imagine me thinking of the next iconic fictional zone anytime soon.

A fire and ice combined level (like Freezeflame Galaxy) will be so amazing...it would be interesting to see how this trope combo will relate to Sonic's terms.

I just thought of this on the fly, a night time city during winter or in a cold area. Unlike most city levels where the focus is on the building tops or the highways (though there could be a small amount of that), and unlike say Ice Paradise where it's a typical ice level with a city backdrop, the focus here would be the ground level in the city. Things like bridges, gliding across frozen lakes you can smash and take underwater shortcuts in, running around wide open plazas, seeing lots of winter/christmas-esque lights (perhaps vaulting over them), and perhaps a ferris wheel or something, like one of those temporary travelling attractions. Some snow gimmicks here and there, but not a massive amount. There might be a few indoorsy sections a la Generations Speed Highway.

All very wintery but colourful and optimistic feeling.

EDIT: Also watery Crisis City as detailed below, wanted this for a while!

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 2

I wish there was a water variant of Crisis City, that'd be so awesome running around a post-apolocalyptic city with under water sections and water spouting out everywhere flinging you around. Kinda like the Perfect Chaos arena but more levely.

Ice/ Jungle and Ice/ Desert are tropes id like to see explored as well. Maybe a level based in a typical house but everything's really huge/ Sonic is really small, that could be interesting if they ever made another game similar to Colours or Mario Galaxy.

• Thumbs Up 6

Here's an idea I had 

FIERY FAUNA ZONE (Classic-In-3d with modern moves such as the drift and homing attack with new parkour mechanics and a meter-based run button......style)

This would be a standard Sonic jungle level except with one twist: the jungle would be next to an active volcano that would cause Lava to run to the jungle. Hazards include falling into the lava, avoiding trees and vines that are set on fire by the lava, and falling rocks. In terms of the gimmick, you got your standard jungle stuff, such as swinging on vines, grinding on branches, bouncing off stretched vines...but then the lava comes in. Homing attack certain rocks and you can change the direction of the way the lava is flowing to open different paths,  Be careful which rocks you break though, or else you might put lava on your path by accident, and only a swift use of the run button or a quick wallrun can save you...............

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've said many times on here that I'd love to see a combination of the ruins and Eggman base tropes. I think it would be spectacular to see the wreckage of the Death Egg on Angel Island. For a series essentially about man imposing himself on nature, it'd be cool to see nature claiming one of Eggman's most infamous creations. The stage could begin in the deep jungle with bits of debris from the spacestation lying around, stuck in the canopy in spots, leading to the actual site of the crash. The base could be filled with vines that have grown in for Sonic to swing on and could be filled with malfunctioning badniks. Maybe even some pools of water from flooding that are momentarily electrified from the Death Egg's power still flickering on and off.

• Thumbs Up 7

I would like for naturally recurring elements or areas within larger landscapes to start having more equal focus with one another throughout a level. For example, why not have a sewer section in a city area wherein you have to traverse rushing water, harsh geometric platforming, and perhaps tend with gators, ghosts, and dark lighting, completely contrasted against a brighter, colorful City Escape-like upper floor? And allow me to further get up to the rooftops where the weather or visibility might change. Do some funky things with neon signs, have some construction-based platforming and hazards like wrecking balls or dripping cement, and throw in some helicopters for good measure. Or why not have a mountainous level where you can go from a bright sky with white clouds all the way down to a tight canyon floor and potential cave hazards, with airships, Red Mountain-esque areas, deciduous forest canopies, and Hill Top inspired design from top to bottom. After all, if we're going to champion moving from top to bottom and left to right as extremely important, why not spice things up by exemplifying and differentiating between "floors?"

• Thumbs Up 2

I may as well dump the ideas for my pipe dream fangame.

Now, the idea here is that the zones are integrated into one another, kinda like Sonic 3 taken to an extreme. So

Emerald Expanse Zone - Desert/Green Hill Trope

We start at a desert, just to break conventions. Usual desert deal, kinda Dust Hill in appearance, but we approach a mountain in the distance, and as we approach the end of the level, there's more and more vegetation, and by the end of the level it's a green hill. But only when the level ends does the vegetation start really growing, leading to...

Oasis Outpost Zone - Jungle/Ruins/Water Trope

Ruins in an Oasis. Big Jungle, with vines and swamp and mushrooms and all, ruins acting as secret passages, but as you go deeper you start entering the ruins of an ancient civilization, which are not only full of water, but also have different gravities depending on the room and area, meaning the flow of the water can go up and down and all around. Towards the end, things get colder and lighter as you see the ruins were of a temple/mine, that led to the...

Persimmon Permafrost Zone - Lava/Ice Trope

A giant permanently frozen plateau, with lava bubbling out at every chance. Pretty average idea, but somehow SEGA's yet to do it.

As you race, you start seeing Eggman mechanisms in the level itself, and when you reach the plateau's end, you see beyond the cliffs a series of futuristic blimp-esque ships. It's the...

Airship Assemblage Zone - Sky Fortress Trope

Basically, a fleet of giant ships that automatically assembles smaller ships which you fight. You race through it, trying not to fall and disrupting the entire operation, until you land at the destination the Airships were going to...

Spectre Sierra Zone - Haunted/Mountain Trope

A mountain full of little temples, shrines, and graveyards, with ghosts jumping out at every turn to mock you and scare you as the floor and rubble gives in and falls. Climb the peak and climb down again though, so you can reach the...

Cosmic Colony Zone - City/Space Trope

A futuristic city, looking a bit like the city in Mirror's Edge. You go form the sewers to the rooftops, getting to the city's space elevator, where you'll face the boss as you climb upwards to Eggman's base in...

Digital Dementia Zone - Eggman/Space Base

As the shuttle you got at the end of the last zone arrives in Eggman's base, you're hit with a beam- and you're now in Green Hill Zone! As you advance you quickly see things are wrong, as the badniks have the wrong colours, sometimes tiles are misplaced, and everything starts to get more garbled, like a newbie's first Sonic 1 fanhack, until you reach the midboss robot. Smash it to break the VR simulation, revealing Eggman's space base in all its splendor. Race throughout the burning-hot sunpower-collecting panels to reach the colony's center, where Eggman awaits with his final boss- a robot that will throw you into corrupted VR versions of various other levels in the games, requiring you to smash it in specific locales to reveal the facade.

Edited by Captain Harlock
  • Thumbs Up 4

I'm just reading all this trying to get music ideas.

YEAH.

I'd like a Mirror's Edge looking zone, it'd be so damn boss.... then again we do have the White World.

A factory level that is full of fire too would be cool!

I like this topic.

You see, I'm doing a music project called "The Concept Adventure" for SegaTenderations and that's where we make up levels and music for a Classic-Style sonic game.

I have this one zone in particular called "Nautical Sail Zone" which is Sonic running through the docks at a harbor and comes across a HUGE fleet of pirate ships, and pirate robots that want to make him walk the plank. You don't see alot of Ship-themed levels in the Sonic universe (Exept for Haunted Ship in SRA, but that game was based around pirates).

Another zone is called Frozen Marble Zone, which is just what it sounds like. Eggman has frozen Marble Zone, which makes the gameplay different in some ways. The lava is frozen, the moving platforms are frozen, the falling chandeliers have frozen too, and there are icicles hanging from the ceilings.

The last zone I'm gonna reveal is Falling Frights Zone, which is the last zone of the game. Similar to Terminal Velocity, you have to run as fast as you can to avoid falling into the exploding...explosion. This is pointed STRAIGHT down with little curves that will try to throw you off into death.

Isn't there a zone where it's a desert that's really hot, and things catch on fire making some parts all Glass-y? That sounds like a good potential for a level. Also, a level about trains! Yeah, yeah Sunset Park, but make it so you're riding on a train, and you can go inside it, and something. Like Metro Madness from SBTS, only train level I've seen, and it's not even real. Oh, and expect a level named after a fairly popular music artist here at SSMB. laugh.png

We had a similar topic a few years ago and someone posted a picture like this:

AuroraBorealisBehi_2144070i.jpg

I've really loved the idea since.

• Thumbs Up 5

I have this one zone in particular called "Nautical Sail Zone" which is Sonic running through the docks at a harbor and comes across a HUGE fleet of pirate ships, and pirate robots that want to make him walk the plank. You don't see alot of Ship-themed levels in the Sonic universe (Exept for Haunted Ship in SRA, but that game was based around pirates).

there was also pirate storm in Sonic and the Black knight. But I get what you're saying, Marina Madness always stood out to me that it was a boat level and Sonic games barely have that.

I also think a level similar to Mystic Mansion would be cool ( except that level in Shth ) I always liked that level, Maybe a Haunted Mineshaft or something.

Edited by Animatedmusic

I always kind of liked the concept of Mecha Green Hill Zone from Sonic Chaos. It was an interesting take on the established "Green Hill" trope, with a mechanical influence added to it. I'd like to see more stuff like that.  Maybe a Hill Top-like setting with conveyor belts and drills or something like that, I don't know...

Another thing that would be cool is something with more of a Western influence, which you don't see much of in Sonic. I imagine a train station setting kind of like Sunset Park from Sonic Triple Trouble, but in a desert with cacti and tumbleweeds and all that... Yeah, that sounds cool.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just want to see the Dark Mountains (that mountain/field/forest part of the Land of Darkness) and the Ancient Relics from Sonic OVA as zones in a game. 

You know what?  Since I am a huge fan of Tron (Legacy (yeah I know)) and I found the Bob Barbas Boss in DMC Devil May cry so awesome.  I would love to see another Tron based level.  Unlike the ones in Shadow The Hedgehog, these ones would have more of a emphasis on Platforming.  You know as a digital world it should be very platform-y since it's the... digital... world (as in it could be very similar to Sky Sanctuary in Generations).  And at the end you would have a fight with a digital looking Doctor Eggman face.  I don't know why but I just think that would be a really cool Idea.

Just got back from seeing The Great Gatsby today, and after looking at the visuals of the film I think it would be awesome if we saw a colorful "roaring 20's" stage.

An old idea of mine...

It's called Catacomb Cliffs Zone, and it's the burial ground of the ancient kings and commonfolk of Knuckles' tribe. The royal tombs are carved into giant natural pillars of stone that shoot out from a murky swamp below. On the high route haunting songs and winds assault you, but if you fall lower a foggy swampland is filled with ghosts from the bog.

The idea was the atmosphere on the ground would be packed with overgrowth and sinking mud areas, quiet and still air while the ghosts stalk you, and the clifftops would be just as harsh but majestic, with the winds shaking bridges and ghostly melodies, and tombs filled with carvings. It could be in one level or two acts with each as a theme.

I'm unsure if I saw these pictures before I thought of it, but these mountains in the Zhangjiajie National Forest Park in China illustrate a more real version of what I want. These pillar mountains, just a bit more fantasy, color, and fog.

Zhangjiajie-National-Forest-Park.jpg

Edited by American Ristar
  • Thumbs Up 2

You know how they remade Green Hill for SA2? I had an idea for something similar, but with all of the zones in a single level! You start in a Green Hill-esque area, then transition into an area based on the Marble Zone, and so on until you reach a miniature Scrap Brain. It would essentially be a 5-10 minute jog through Sonic 1. I'm not sure how it would fit in a story though...

I can tell that I'm going to like this thread.

So, what kinds of levels would I like to see in a future Sonic game? Several in fact. Allow me to elaborate on some of them;

Spectropolis Zone: (Urban Trope)

We start off in a glorious city set in the middle of the night. There are several neon signs around, many that are large enough for Sonic to jump and grind on. However, there are also some that have been broken, snapped in two or more pieces, with electricity flying off them. You can try to avoid them, but there are some that you have to grind on to get through the level, adding some challenge to the stage.

Magnetic Subway Zone: (Urban/Underground Trope)

Yes, another urban zone, but this one has a bit of a twist to it. The bulk of the level takes place in an underground subway, with some areas being on the surface to help break any monotony. There are trains that Sonic can ride atop of. They hover above using powerful magnets, giving rise to the zone's name. At one point, as you are riding on a train, you have an encounter with the boss of the zone, kind of like how the boss of Marble Garden in Sonic 3 would appear from time to time before you got to actually fight it. What this boss does here is drill through the ground and through the train, thereby destroying it, and the magnetic strips in the process, causing electricity to course through. However, the magnets are not completely wrecked. They will turn on and off, pieces of the train rising and falling with the switch. You will have to jump atop train debris to navigate through this part of the level.

Maple Forest Zone: (Forest Trope)

Hey, remember how part of Mushroom Hill Zone looked like it was in the midst of autumn? Well, the entirety of Maple Forest Zone is like this. There are large maple trees, with plenty of branches for Sonic to run along. And with these large trees and the autumn setting come large falling leaves. You can actually ride these leaves across gaps.

Blackout Factory Zone: (Factory Trope)

You take the classic factory level and periodically shut off the power. These blackouts are both blessings and curses. On one hand, all the dangerous conveyor belts and sledge hammers and all that shit will be disabled. One the other hand, the player will not be able to see that far in front of him and the enemies will still be on full power so to speak, thus making things still fairly challenging.

Festive Carnival Zone: (Carnival Trope)

Set in the midst of an annual carnival located in a large field, with a forest background, Festive Carnival Zone has a bit of an amusement park feel to it, obviously. You start off riding on a rollercoaster. The tracks eventually run out and you have to jump on a Ferris Wheel. The next ride you get on depends on how high the Ferris Wheel is when you jump off. Eventually, you end up on another another set of rollercoaster tracks. Only this time, the car is chasing you. Can you outrun the coaster car?

• Thumbs Up 1

This might sound odd, but I was just thinking about the computer levels from ShTH and I realized a combination of that and the usual "green level" (i.e. Green Hill, Angel Island) could be neat. Like, you start a new Sonic game and find yourself in what looks like the standard first Sonic level, but as it progresses the environment starts "glitching", until it looks a little like this (although perhaps a lot more Eggman-y, with his logo and a bunch of stuff you'd expect to see in, say, Eggmanland):

340px-Shadow_mad_matrix.png

Then you find out (either in the cutscene afterwards or through in-level dialogue) that Sonic went into Eggman's computer or something, idk. Just an idea.

• Thumbs Up 4

there was also pirate storm in Sonic and the Black knight.

*Secret Rings

and here's another level trope they need.

MORE MUSIC THEMED LEVELS

seriously, they only have Music Plant from SAdvance2 and Planet Sonata from Ristar. NEED MORE

I'd also like to see a ruined factory level - not one being reclaimed by nature, although thematically that's brilliant, but one's that just decaying in normal industrial fashion - rusting away, the floors are collapsing, the traps don't work, and so on.  This can be combined pretty easily with the blackout idea above as well.  The concept is basically for an old Eggman base which either some clue lies in, or which Eggman's hidden himself away within, a sort of "the last place you'd expect" kind of deal.

If they ever do a Sonic 4: Episode 3, though, I'd like the first level to be the Angel Aftermath Zone - basically, Angel Island Zone after the fires have gone out.  The entire zone is totally blackened, there are sand-like ash piles everywhere, the water is grey and polluted, the trees are all toppled and scorched.  We never really get to see Eggman's impact on any of the zones he's passed through.  There are badniks everywhere, sure, and occasionally we accept that he's constructed an industrial base in one, but where is the ruin and desolation?  There are few representations of this and I'd like to see more.

I guess all of these ideas are more suited to a story-driven game, though.  They assume some context, whereas most levels in Sonic games are just there, not connected to anything but themselves.

• Thumbs Up 2

Iron Jungle from Shadow the Gamehog does an amazing job at mixing the mechanical and greenery tropes together. It's pretty much a 3D Mecha Green Hill Zone.

And yes SEGA. GIVE US MORE MUSIC LEVELS. We only have Music Plant and that's my favourite level in Advance 2! D: