Awoo.

American McGee "What do you want? New Alice? Or Oz?"

Badnik Mechanic

American McGee, owner of a funny name, and the guy behind one of the craziest versions of Alice in Wonderland ever has been posting a number of interesting things to his facebook lately.

Mainly concept art and a question "What do you want the next project to be? Another Alice in Wonderland? Or The Wizard of Oz?"

934952_490759454322680_1354566028_n.jpg

He's teased a possible kickstarter campaign to fun the project initially, however as of yet he's not decided on what it's going to be, that being Oz or Alice. So today he put up this image.

922857_10151454524132075_1319143909_n.jp

So this is what it comes down to... Oz or Wonderland? Dorothy or Alice?

It's not yet clear which direction this will go, but we're making plans to support either development. Everything hinges on what sort of deal we can get in place with... EA (for Alice). If we hammer out something compatible with our design ambitions and crowd-source funding, then Alice it is. If not, then there's no reason to despair! We'll take a trip to Wonderland instead.

Actually, the more I think about it - and the more I see/hear feedback from you guys - the more I'm personally leaning towards Oz. There's so much fun stuff to explore, so many interesting characters and locations to discover. Wonderland will also be there, if not today, if not the next project, then perhaps the one after that?

Some awesome Dorothy vs. Alice art to set the stage... more news on which direction we're heading... soon!

What do you think? Dorothy & Toto or Alice & Cheshire?

So SSMB... Oz? Or Alice?

Call me crazy.

But I'd love a crossover, specially with that artwork, hnng.

YOU'RE CRAZY!

You can't have the Cowardly Lion going to the Mad Hatters tea party... wait... yes you can! Thats a great idea!

Oh this is gonna be a hard one.

I did love the first American McGee's Alice but Madness Returns was disappointing. I do wanna see more of Alice but only if its really good and didn't waste boss fights. Oz would be interesting to say the least. I do wonder what they can do to make it more grimdark than Oz previously was.

Incidentally I did find out about a recent American McGee project known as Akaneiro: Demon Hunters which is basically Red Riding Hood in a Japanese setting. I wonder if he's running out of ideas.

Do we really need another Alice game?

Something based off of Oz would be far more interesting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally don't see why Madness Returns was so "disappointing" it was leagues better than the horrendous controls of the original game, combat was pretty decent too, but Yeah I'd love to see an Oz game in his style, especially if it's Dorothy slaying Ozombies, fuck yeah.

Oz, I don't think we need more Alice (by the way, Madness Returns wasn't disappointing, at least is far more playable than the original game). But a cross-over wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I wonder if they will call the same guy who did the art for MR(concepts, the woodcut cutscenes), which, by the way, I had the honor to meet in person last year. Awesome guy and awesome art-style.

Edited by Jango

I agree with Blue Wisp, brings a new fleshed out universe when you combine the dreamy Alice in Wonderland to the daunting Wizard of Oz. 

Alice 2 is one of the most disappointing sequels I have ever played and it took all of my waking energy to even bother to reach that god forsaken let-down of an ending. While I respect the first Alice for being a great experience but a flawed, dated game, Madness Returns is just a fucking mess of barely fleshed out ideas and repetitive, nonevolving gameplay that gets old after the first twenty minutes. I have nothing nice to say about it, and any interest I have in a theoretical third game is completely out of the ballpark until I'm convinced that McGee can prove that his talent extends beyond merely interesting aesthetics and ideas. Fuck that god damned game.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 bucks says if the OZ one ends up being made, the tin man,scarecrow,lion and even OZ himself will be twisted bosses.

I might want a new Alice game, if the gameplay consisted of more than just "jump everywhere and shoot baddies."

So.goddamn.annoying.

I've never played either Alice game so I can't comment from a fans point of view but Oz appeals to me more. I hate that title though Ozombie? *shudders* I'm sick to death of zombies, is there anything more overused these days?

A dark, twisted version of Oz would just be fantastic, I've loved the idea since Todd toys came out with their Oz line.

http://spawn.com/toys/series.aspx?series=184 (some of these are NSFW btw)

So yeah, there's so much potential to be had in Oz, obviously there's potential in wonderland too but two games have already came from there, lets have something new