Awoo.

Worst Ending in a Videogame (Spoilers! duh)

Gabz Girl

There have been videogames with amazing endings like LoZ: Wind Waker, Red Dead Redemption and Bioshock Infinite. But there have also been endings that are either rushed, end on a cliffhanger or are just really crappy in general. So list here your worst videogame endings! Don't forget to put spoiler tags!

Heart of Darkness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_W6mu50vYs

This game is great, but difficult. Really, really difficult, especially when you get to the last part! But once you defeat the final boss...

the main character Andy wakes up in his tree hut, with his dog Whisky (the one he was trying to rescue from the very beginning) right by his side. Yep, IT WAS ALL A DREAM. So getting through the entire game and dying countless times was for

nothing. They hint at the end that maybe it was real after all, but it's quite vague.

So yeah, great game but disappointing ending.

Assassins Creed 3

What a disappointment! I was so hyped for this and hoping that everything would be resolved in the end. But no, it was rushed, stupid as hell and made even more complicated than it already is. By now, the story is far too ridiculous and all over the place to enjoy and

having Desmond die at the end

meant that playing through all five games was a waste of time anyway! And don't even get me started on the way

Vidic was killed off.

For such a threatening guy, he really was easy to take down. =/

Now the next one I don't need to put in spoiler tags since everyone knows it...Sonic 06.

(for some reason this link isn't clickable...) O_o

Not only was it a cop out ending by making it so that everything you did before in this shitty game never happened, but they also had the gall to kill off their main character. What were they thinking? Oh, and you gotta love Elise saying "I don't care what happens to to world!" even though she only knows Sonic for, what, 3 days? The ending is full of problems, just like the rest of the game!

Edited by Gabz Girl
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have to agree with the Vidic thing. The dude was one of the main antagonists of this franchise. He appeared in like every title in some form. He was always seeming like a menacing threat. And in AC3, Desmond just walks in, and uses a Piece of Eden to control one of the guards to shoot him?! Seriously one of the most underwhelming deaths I've seen. I mean all the other Templars that have been killed in the series were killed off better!

But yeah overall, The modern day plot for the AC games have felt really poor in execution. But AC3 just sealed the deal for me. It's ending was just so...not interesting.

As for a worst ending, Final Fantasy 13-2. God that game infuriats me.

The girl you freakin go though the first game to save, ends up dying, and Time is basically destroyed. FF13 didn't need a sequel as it was, but this just pissed me off. I worked my ass of playing 13-2 only for the bad guy to win?!Ugh.

Also Super Smash bros. Brawl was pretty bad. You just beat Taboo, and that's it. Nothing really afterwards.

Edited by Jack Sparrow
  • Thumbs Up 3

Rayman.

Hooray, you finally beat the generic-and-cliché-yet-somehow-cool-and-badass-at-the-same-time Mr. Dark! Your reward (skip to 6:15)?

Yep, totally worth busting your balls to get all those Electoons. [/sarcasm]

Edited by Spin Attaxx

Oh dear god, the original Rayman.

I managed to collect all the Electoons... Which is a herculean task. No, really it's hard as hell.

Only finished the last levels with some cheats... Which were almost as hard to input as finishing the game. ohmy.png

Edited by killemoff

These won't be "the worst" as a whole because I can only judge based on the games I've played. These are the worst endings of games I've played.

Sonic 4

Not the worst, but it sure as hell pissed me off when I played it...

You defeat Eggman, grab an escape pod and through the credits the death eggs starts to shut down, not actually being destroyed or anything and then you see Sonic and tails go back to earth in the pods.

I beat the game and was like "What? That can't be it can it?", but sure enough it was. It topped of what was an already mediocre at best game.

Neopets: The Darkest Faerie

Also, I'm going out on a limp with a game most of you won't have played but the Neopets game for the PS2 had a "meh" ending at best. It was the regular uninspired "oh the world is saved yay!" sort of thing you've seen a million times. The game had a huge lead up to the final boss and the end of the game, which after everything that came before it was a huge disappointment considering how good a lot of it was.

Neopets pissed me off in particular because it has a huge, huge world to explore and unless you save a new file just before the end boss you can't ever go back to explore and finish extra missions.

This game has one of the biggest worlds I've seen in a game and once you beat it they're like "LOL NOPE, You can't explore this huge amazing world any more!".

Really, it was a lot of effort for so, so little.

Edited by SkyLlama

The way all the Assassin's Creed games ended pissed me off at the time, as they were all cliff hangers! I felt like it was a shitty reward for completing the game; a "see you next time if you want to see what happens!".

Legacy of Kain is sort of the same. Soul Reaver ends with Raziel journeying to the past, Soul Reaver 2 ends with Raziel discovering his destiny and Defiance is just a massive kick in the ladyballs when you remember it's the last game in the series and there is still no closure. Ugh. sad.png

It does make the entire game seem like an advert for the next in the series. :/

Edited by MamboCat

To think of a recent one, Battleblock Theater.

The story seemed like it was gearing up to be a really explosive ending, with maybe some cool backstory of some sort involving the theater...but no. It ends with you picking up Hatty, taking him to the boat and then throwing him in the sea because he's a vegetable. I was convinced this must've been a 'bad ending' of some sort and there was a second one for beating the game to a certain degree...but no. This is it. Such a waste of potential.

And then it kicks off with a song that basically shits all over the great humour from the rest of the game with a song that just isn't funny or entertaining at all. Such a shame.

While it's not the worst ending.. I believe it's one of the most "WTF" endings.

Braid.

Touching the princess makes her explode.

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 2

Crackdown 2

This one pisses me off for the sheer stupidity

After stopping Cell gangs, the infected and taking over every captured beacon, there's one more beacon left. The beacon at the Agent Tower. While activating it, an escaped group of Infected are your obsticle in taking over this beacon. The twist is the infected people are the Agents from the first game. I didn't need to be but it is.

So after that, so dame in a chopper comes flying in, ready to destroy the beacon, your officer commands you to stop her by any. Means. Necessary!!! So despite having a large arsenal of guns, grenades and rockets (including homing rockets) and even your own vehicles. You use your suit's glide ability to face her helicopter. And instead of smartly hijacking it or blowing it up with her inside it, you....

Fly right into the propellers. WTF, I don't even.....

Sonic Chronicles.

Let's see. Ix was a complete anti-climax of a final boss as was using Super Sonic, being a battle that was practically un-losable and which only required one crappy series of touch screen inputs...

And then not only did I see this ending coming a mile off considering the characters were morphed into complete morons who invested full trust in Eggman despite other games pretty consistently making it clear that quite a lot of them (Sonic in particular) don't trust him as far as they can throw him, therefore shitting all over any impact of any 'twist' or 'sting' it could've theoretically have provided by making it completely predictable and therefore Eggman's accomplishment not being the least bit convincing because it's idiotic writing that put him there, the game completely violates the logic it sets up concerning the rate of timeflow inside the Cage compared to the rate of timeflow outside it by presumably having Eggman still alive when much time would logically have passed. If he's dead and the message set up for them was pre-recorded then oh noes! No Eggman in the potential sequel, no possibility of the characters gaining the satisfaction or the Eggman-engineered challenge of taking out him and his empire.

The game also disregards the logic it creates by having them bring Shade along as it was established that her suit has limitations regarding the bubble of twilight space it creates around it's wearer being temporary, making her continued existence outside of the cage impossible.

Cliffhangers will always be a misguided form of ending to media without a guaranteed chance of a conclusion. Chronicles not only had a completely bad, predictable ending that was completely bereft of any shock value and only came to fruition as a result of rampant stupidity on part of the characters but it leaves loose ends with practically no chance of conclusion and that contributes to it being a bad ending.

Edited by Vertekins
  • Thumbs Up 6

Hey all! Guess what time it is!

"SOLKIA BITCHES ABOUT TALES OF SYMPHONIA DAWN OF THE THE WORLD AGAIN" TIME!

All three endings are shitty, but the good ending is by far the worst and shows just how out of touch with the first game the plot really is

"1000 years. That's how long it will take to draw all the Mana from this world. Then it will no longer be necessary."

Come again?

To quote Genis: "Mana is the source material which composes everything" It's fucking life in their world, you can't get rid of it.

And that was the entire fucking point of the first game: Restore the world's Mana by rescuing the Great Seed from Mithos. Are you seriously telling me that the initial journey; a story that is so dearly loved by this fanbase, was entirely pointless? What a load of shit.

I would also complain about the ending to Persona 3 FES: The Answer, but I'm pretty sure I've mutilated that horse enough by now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mass Effect was a series I deeply enjoyed.  I played through 1 and 2 multiple times, investing myself into the games from multiple angles both in gameplay and through story.  I would spend countless hours toiling away through the games' expansive codex entries that detail every little bit and detail about Mass Effects deep and intricate universe...

Then Mass Effect 3's ending came along and shat on everything that I loved about the series and ran it into the goddamn ground.  Years of world building, years of developing old and new relationships with team members, years of fighting against a threat that threatened the well-being of that beautiful world BioWare made... all down the drain in 5 fucking minutes.

It wasn't just bad, it was fucking offensive, not just to the players, but to the series and the writers involved in it.  After several years of crafting such an entertaining series, the game finally reaches the end, the final pay-off to such a grand adventure, and that's how you do it?  The Starchild came completely out of left field with little to no build-up.  It was like they were trying to be symbolic with it but it ended up drowning in its pretentiousness and stupidity.  It was so terrible they needed fucking DLC to band-aid the countless plotholes it conjured out of thin-air on top of that.

I normally would replay a Mass Effect game right after I finish it because I know there's more ways to experience it and new endings to be had (hell, I got all the achievements in ME2 in anticipation for ME3).  I never played Mass Effect 3's story again, and I never touched 1 and 2 again because of how bad that ending was.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm surprised that nobody's said Sonic 06...

Too predictable?

And yeah, everything you went through was all for nothing sure, but some found the ending (myself included) one of the few decent scenes from the game.

Nah, Sonic 06's ending is good. Once you get to that point you realize you're done with it (*happy dance*) and then reflect upon where you've gone wrong in life.

Plus everyone expects people to say 06 on a forum like this, but a lot of games are worse in terms of ending.

Edited by SkyLlama

Can't say Sonic '06 has the worst ending because technically Sonic '06's ending doesn't exist...

hurhurhur!

• Thumbs Up 5

Legacy of Kain is sort of the same. Soul Reaver ends with Raziel journeying to the past, Soul Reaver 2 ends with Raziel discovering his destiny and Defiance is just a massive kick in the ladyballs when you remember it's the last game in the series and there is still no closure. Ugh. sad.png

to be fair, with the original Soul Reaver, they ran out of time and dropped a lot of stuff, the game would have ended differently, with Raziel killing Ariel and then killing kain.

But yeah the other endind did get pretty annoying.

Braid.

Is that an easter egg? That's not how the game actually ends. It's probably a reference to the fact that

The whole game is a metaphor for the creation of the atomic bomb

Um.....OP?

Now that.... It's hard to describe my feelings on that ending....

You know? Despite the game being an utter trainwreck including the story, if anything, that ending just left me feeling disappointed in a weird way because it was actually fairly touching and had a small touch of humor (Sonic running on the bridge and his turbulence causing the people to scream and lose their stuff :lol:) and yet the rest of the game was utterly lacking in this quality. It feels....it feels like some effort went into that scene and there was a bittersweet and joyous quality to it as well and in a way, makes me feel all the more bereft because I wondered why the hell wasn't the rest of the game akin to that?

Yeah it was irritatingly vague concerning whether or not Sonic and Elise actually do have some sort of memory of each other but dayum the bit with Sonic looking up at the moon was actually pretty beautiful.

Braid.

Seriously? This is a great ending with a ton of thematic meaning.

The entire game sets itself up as being something of a delusion of the main protagonist. Playing through the game yields hints that he's not just some guy trying to get his princess but that the character is more than just that. His "princess" is actually an atomic bomb and he used to be a scientist.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mass Effect 3, again. The Extended Cut did mitigate a lot of pain, but for several months it really was the most gut-punching horribly ending to any work of fiction I'd ever had the displeasure of being exposed to.

The reason is what the original ending not only gave zero closure, it actually reversed all the closure you'd gotten from the previous sub-plots and storylines within the overall story. With just 10 minutes everything you did in all three games no longer mattered. Did you save the Rachni? Doesn't matter - universe is fucked. Did you save the Krogan? Doesn't matter - universe is fucked. Did you united the Quarians and Geth? Doesn't matter - universe is so fucked.

I really do mean fucked in the strongest possible sense. We'd already had a whole DLC adventure devoted to what would happen if you destroyed a Mass Relay, and the answer was that it would explode with supernova force and destroy an area the size of a solar system. The original MA3 ending showed ALL the Mass Relays in the universe exploding (not just malfunctioning, or shutting down - EXPLODING!) so given the information the player had the only logical conclusion was that every single habitable planet near a Mass Relay was now destroyed, which meant pretty much everyone you knew on a first-name basis. Earth was guaranteed destroyed, and even if anyone survived, then the entire combined fleets were now stranted on Earth, guaranteeing that either the fertile Krogan would outpopulate everyone and everything or the scorched planet would fail to support a suddenly-much-more-diverse population.

That's so fucking bad that the only way the Extended Cut could undo the damage was by deliberate retconning. "Expand and explain the endings", my ass, they fucking retconning the Mass Relay explosions to be harmless breaking apart that could be easily fixed. That is, unless you really fucked up and got the lowest possible readiness score - then you got the un-extended ending again. Gee...ya think it was a bad idea off the bat?

Notice that I haven't mentioned the star child. Like with Mr Cutscene Marty Stu; Kai Leng, a single character worth of incredibly bad writing couldn't destroy the entire Mass Effect series. But an incredibly bad ending sure did.

• Thumbs Up 4

YES! That cutscene just set a really awesome tone for the rest of the game. I am totally pumped for the next battle in this so-far pretty awesome game.

OH. WAIT.

Unlike a lot of people I adore the Good Ending to BioShock 1, but the Evil Ending was utterly putridly bad.  I sincerely pity anyone who harvested a single little sister just to see what happens and ended up with that load of rubbish as a result.

Agreed with Verte that Sonic Chronicles was downright awful.  In a way I'm almost glad it was a cliffhanger because it means we can easily declare the game non-canon until it is resolved (which looks like it will be never yaaay).

Finally... I suppose this is kind of an important one for me because I love this game to death, but also a silly one since the story isn't really the main focus of the game, but all the same:

Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2

The Sacrifice was such a letdown.  The comic told it great, the trailer set us up for something really dramatic... then the actual in-game ending was extraordinarily unsatisfying.  I never expected anything fancy, Left 4 Dead is a game for multiple replays after all, but I expected something longer than 10 seconds, I expected the finale or credits to have unique music rather than the same as every other campaign (which at this point will no longer have any dramatic impact if you've been a frequent, faithful player for the years the game has been out), and I certainly expected the dialogue to not be completely drowned out by all the noise going on.  You literally need subtitles to know what the survivors are calling out during the final desperate scene.

I mean, in a way, before The Sacrifice came out, Blood Harvest was a better "ending" to the game.  Sure at that point there was no continuous storyline, but at least it ended on a lovely shot of a sunrise as the vehicle escapes.  And back when they had added Crash Course but we knew nothing of The Sacrifice, the ending felt like it represented many an adventure to come for the L4D1 crew... then it feels like The Sacrifice just happened because they wanted to wrap up L4D1 and so they could give a dramatic twist to The Passing in L4D2... which obviously came out BEFORE The Sacrifice, further killing the drama in The Sacrifice itself because we knew how it was going to end.

Meanwhile on the Left 4 Dead 2 side of things, The Parish ending is pretty satisfying, it's a hell of a lot more elaborate than the other endings (sans Dead Center), so it has that "nothing special, but still satisfying" aspect that Blood Harvest had pre-The Sacrifice.  But then The Sacrifice came along and put major focus on this "Carriers" storyline, and it has seriously left the fate of the L4D2 survivors up in the air.  I am desperate for them to announce (and subsequently release) a follow-up campaign for the L4D2 guys, but not so much as a peep or a clue of even the possibility of one being in the works.

I love love love Left 4 Dead but boy if you do invest yourself in the story too much it will eventually become an excercise in frustration and cockteases all around.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 5

Probably the bad ending for Tales of Xillia 2, not that it was bad in any way (lol) but my god the ending makes me depressed and just thinking about it makes me kind of cry a bit on the inside.

I agree with Jez. BioShock 1's good ending is amazing. Very short but sweet; I really can't think of something better that makes the player feel genuinely good about him/herself for completing the game.

And yeah L4D1's ending is bleh. The comic however at least gives good closure for the survivors.