Awoo.

The Official F-Zero Dicussion Topic (Less PAWNCHing, more driving! ...Okay, some PAWNCHing)

YoshiUnity

F-ZERO DISCUSSION TOPIC!

F-Zero-logo.jpg

F-Zero. Probably one of the best racing franchises I've ever played. EVER. I mean, I'll admit. I didn't get into the series until F-Zero GX, but I gladly went back into it's history in order to enjoy all that I missed. This game has an amazing since of speed and skill and just seems unrivaled in most high-speed racing games. [inserted smartass picture post here.]

What I love about this game is simply that. It's all about racing at high speeds and mastering the track with fast thinking and quick reflexes. Can you make that turn? Do you boost now or later? Can you even control your freaking car?! Things might seem easy the first few tracks but, but keep that mindset and the tracks themselves will ride your ass more than the other racers!

So overtime the series has really grown in a sense of more of a multi-player enjoyment, and it wasn't always this way... Heck, the first game didn't even have multi-player, but were still enjoyable.

AND THEN THERE'S SMASH BROS.! FALCONE PAWUNCH! FALCON PAUNCH! FALCONE PAUNCH PAWNCH! PUNCHITY PAWNUCH PAWUCH! PUNCH!!!!1!!111111 IT'S FUNNY! PUNCH! AAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAA!!!! PAAAAAAAAAAWNUCH!!!!1!

Now with that done, let's get back to the actual driving game, K?! >:U F-Zero always had an interesting backstory about the grand prix and the characters from Captain Falcon being a bounty hunter to the Horrific Grand Finale killing fourteen drivers in F-Zero X to the WWE Championship Belt of ULTIMATE POWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER in F-Zero GX. I mean, they were never really all that deep, but still interesting whenever you wanted to take a brake from racing.

Out of all in the entries in the series, F-Zero GX has to be my favorite. Not only did I find the sense of speed perfect, but I couldn't get enough of the high octane soundtrack delivering some of my favorite remixes. Also, I love the option of creating my own car and fixing the stats to work for me better. Whenever I didn't use the custom car, I would smoke the competition with some of my favorite drivers. I'm good with a lot of them -- Silver Neelsen/Night Thunder, Both of the Arrows and etc. – but my favorite is definitely Red Gazelle/Mighty Gazelle. That car fits me like a glove.

As for courses, I couldn't get enough of the Lighting, Aeropolis, Sand Ocean, Fire Field and Cosmo Terminal courses. They were good for thinking fast and keeping center.

So yeah, we got an official F-Zero topic now! Discuss the series! Who's your favorite driver? Pawnch? What's your favorite course? Do you cry in your sleep about the fact that we haven't received another entry in the series since Climax LIKE I D-- I mean, are you disappointed that we haven't seen an F-Zero game for quite some time... is what I meant...

Anyway, discuss!

Cue Mute City!

Aw fuck. Here's your Falcon Punch. But you have to do it yourself!

• Thumbs Up 5

F-Zero GX is my favorite racing game of all time but good god is it hard. Story mode can go fuck itself too, as well as the higher difficulties of the grand prix. Thank you Sega Amusement for making the AX racers fucking impossible to unlock. Other than those unfortunate pitfalls, it's an excellent game. I also like the soundtrack, particularly the character themes composed by Daiki Kasho:

FZGX to me feels like what Sonic Riders should have been in every single way. I guess because the game was developed by Sega, it makes me think of how awesome it would be to have a Sonic racing game of this magnitude.

Not really into the other games all that much though. F-Zero X just feels like a beta version of GX since I played that afterwards.

• Thumbs Up 4

Fantastic soundtrack, beautiful characters, but good grief I just can't play these games. My head starts spinning and my eyes begin to burn like crazy.

F-Zero GX is my favorite racing game of all time but good god is it hard. Story mode can go fuck itself too, as well as the higher difficulties of the grand prix. Thank you Sega Amusement for making the AX racers fucking impossible to unlock. Other than those unfortunate pitfalls, it's an excellent game. I also like the soundtrack, particularly the character themes composed by Daiki Kasho:

FZGX to me feels like what Sonic Riders should have been in every single way. I guess because the game was developed by Sega, it makes me think of how awesome it would be to have a Sonic racing game of this magnitude.

Not really into the other games all that much though. F-Zero X just feels like a beta version of GX since I played that afterwards.

Oh man, That brutal story mode. Easy whooped my ass, but man it felt good beating it. Hard mode though... *sigh* I honestly just felt exhausted after beating it. And I never wanted to play through it again. Ever. Easy mode, occasionally yeah. But Hard mode? Nooooooooo thank you, Sega Amusement!

As for the pits. You know, call me crazy -- and believe me, I'll agree with you if you do because that YoshiUnity guy couldn't find his marbles in a bag -- but the tracks with the most obstacles were some of my favorite, especially the one's with the sudden pits like the second Sand Ocean. I don't know, it brings out the inner "COME AT ME, BRO!" in me.

And yeah. the character themes. Gotta love da Silver Neelsen and Dr. Stewart themes!

Edited by Touch Fuzzy Get YoshiUnity

This topic needs more.......

falcon_punch_by_davichu-d2zt5cp.png

But honestly. F-zero. Damn this is a freaking hard racing series. I remember playing F-zero GX and getting stuck. Never did I beat it so I gave up. Even though it was hard, it was probably the fastest racing game I've ever played. And for it's time, it looked amazing. 

Edited by Eternal Xtreme

I'll be honest. Picked up F-Zero GX a few years back at Gamestop for a few bucks, tried to get through story mode on easy...it's either the first or second mission where you're supposed to dodge all the boulders. Couldn't do it, put the game down and walked away. I'll give it another go someday....but man.

Oh yeah I wasn't complaining about the actual pits in the game haha, I was just referring to the flaws I mentioned beforehand. The pits don't bother me but the AI constantly pushing you off the track does. >>

I think people who play GX for the story mode are playing it for the wrong reasons. It's the only F-Zero game to have such a feature, and the story missions suck majorly. Play it on grand prix. It's much more enjoyable, and it's the meat of the game anyway.

Oh yeah I wasn't complaining about the actual pits in the game haha, I was just referring to the flaws I mentioned beforehand. The pits don't bother me but the AI constantly pushing you off the track does. >>

I think people who play GX for the story mode are playing it for the wrong reasons. It's the only F-Zero game to have such a feature, and the story missions suck majorly. Play it on grand prix. It's much more enjoyable, and it's the meat of the game anyway.

Oh. Heh, whoops! Yeah... That was a bit annoying in the game. I've probably forgot how annoying that was when i became much more aggressive racer from the later story missions. I went from just trying to survive to often wreck the others before then even gotten a chance to screw me over. XP My friends REALLY hated racing me in multi-player. XP

The Story mode... yeah. I can take it or leave it. I honestly enjoyed reading up on the characters' backgrounds more than the story. I would have preferred it if they just had the Grand Prix, then gave each character and introduction, rival, the victory interview and ending. Or just balance out the missions a bit better. I'd be cool with that too.

But hey, most of my effort went into Time trials, Multi-player and Grand-prix, anyway.

The story mode is hard as beans and I even went the extra mile with beating some of the missions in very hard but then my memory card got corrupted and now I have to do them all over again.

The story mode is hard as beans and I even went the extra mile with beating some of the missions in very hard but then my memory card got corrupted and now I have to do them all over again.

Damn, that blows! Hard mode is something i never want to do again in F-Zero GX. If their's one thing i can suggest when playing hard mode is to be aggressive with the other racers and keep close to the inside track.

If you ever try to go for it again, good luck.

• 2 years later...

I wish I had a better reason to revive this dinosaur of a topic, but sometimes it's nice to ponder on what could have been... And then cry about it.

Apparently we almost had an F-Zero game on Wii U, that would have been made by Criterion, the game guys who worked on Need for Speed and Burnout series.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/06/exclusive_we_almost_got_a_wii_u_f-zero_created_by_burnout_studio_criterion

Well... we still have the Mario Kart 8 DLC, Captain Falcon's Twister Race and VC releases, right? ...Right?!

dCrFZ.gif

A couple of things worth remembering, that'll give you hope:

1: Nintendo is actually interested in reviving F-Zero, has been scouting out potential developers, and then went ahead and asked at least one.

2: F-Zero's presence in Nintendo Land, and especially in Mario Kart 8's two DLC packs, are clear signs that the series has not been forgotten.

I had previously thought that F-Zero was simply being absorbed by Mario Kart, but given this fresh revelation, it all seems to point towards there being a strong base of support for the old racer as an independent IP within Nintendo, and an acknowledgement that the core fanbase should be catered for. This is good.

I don't know if Nintendo is waiting for Criterion to get done with its new IP, so that it can get the game made there eventually, or if they've found another developer and the next F-Zero is already on its way, but either way there is every reason to have hope. I do have to wonder who Nintendo might go for, if not Criterion, though. Sumo? I don't know how I'd feel about that. Retro? Hmmm. Possibilities.

• Thumbs Up 4

As good as X and GX are, I always preferred the tighter SNES game. I know I definitely prefered the screech of the machines on the SNES to the basically science of the later games. Good chance of being the best game on the system, depending on which day it is.

I'll be honest. Picked up F-Zero GX a few years back at Gamestop for a few bucks, tried to get through story mode on easy...it's either the first or second mission where you're supposed to dodge all the boulders. Couldn't do it, put the game down and walked away. I'll give it another go someday....but man.

The story mode isn't really the point, the mode you want to be playing is Gran Prix.