Awoo.

Nintendo to collect ad revenue on LP's of their games from Youtube partners

Chaos Warp

But Nintendo, at this point, has WAYYYYYYYYYY more money then they will ever need to make their AAA titles incredible. My point still stands.

How do you know?  Nintendo could be working on any number of things, both software and hardware-wise, that we have no idea about.

I'm sorry but the sad fact is, if someone DEPENDS on a form of entertainment that is not entirely theirs as let's players do, to be a major source of income... then they should be prepared for possible consequences of that.

Edited by JezMM

I don't care. Those partners need to get a real job, why should they earn money for playing games?

Something about this kinda rubs me the wrong way for some reason, but from a practical and legal perspective I really can't fault Nintendo here.

• Thumbs Up 1

By the way guys, here's something I found in the Help section:

Please note: you may not be able to monetize videos which use any of the following without the explicit permission of the person who created or produced all material:

• Music (including cover songs, lyrics, and background music)
  • Graphics and pictures (including photographs and artwork)
  • Movie or TV visuals
  • Video game or software visuals. Click here for details.
  • Live performances (including concerts, sporting events, and shows)

I don't care. Those partners need to get a real job, why should they earn money for playing games?

At the end of the day a good LP is a lot more then simply playing a game, hence why so many LPs are bad. If they put the effort in I'm fine with them making money, but at the same time Nintendo is also well within their rights to do this.

For some people Youtube is a real job, just like for some people TV is.

I don't like the term "real job". If a person can provide for themselves and not be a burden on tax payers who cares?

Edited by SkyLlama
  • Thumbs Up 5

What constitutes a "Real Job", then? Sitting in a cubicle all day, wasting your life in the corporate machine?

Props to them for making money by doing what they love.

• Thumbs Up 3

What constitutes a "Real Job", then? Sitting in a cubicle all day, wasting your life in the corporate machine?

Props to them for making money by doing what they love.

Yes, but not everyone can make money for playing games, so why should these people?

Yes, but not everyone can make money for playing games, so why should these people?

Not everyone can making money being a scientist, so why should they?

Not everyone can making money being a car salesman, so why should they?

Not everyone can making money being a teacher, so why should they?

Same idea.

Okay, so my argument is flawed, but I still think it has a point. Video games are hobbies, not jobs!

Okay, so my argument is flawed, but I still think it has a point. Video games are hobbies, not jobs!

Why?

If people have found a way to make money by playing games, then why the hell not? Programming can be a hobby, animation can be a hobby, pretty much anything can be a hobby if one enjoys doing it. I guess nobody should have jobs in those fields then.

Edited by Frogging101
  • Thumbs Up 3

You have no basis for your argument.

Anything can be a hobby.

Edited by Cola

Oh what the hell? You could also argue that music and sports are hobbies. Why do people make money off of them? Because they are skilled enough to provide entertainment that people enjoy and there is demand for such things. I think that if you put a lot of time and effort into something that other people enjoy and want more of, then it's perfectly reasonable to ask some money for it. 

I don't particularly care, because my favorite LPers are ones that don't monetize them. I guess the Grumps are kind of fucked if Nintendo starts doing it for all the games, though (so far it's only for the newest Mario games).

Will they be monetizing ones that aren't already monetized, or only ones that are already?

Do we even know how much money per view Partners make?

Not to mention almost everyone uses AdBlock?

Most LPers are just normal people. They have jobs, they have lives, etc. The fact that some have the privilege of ad revenue doesn't change that. 

Will they be monetizing ones that aren't already monetized, or only ones that are already?

Just partners as far as I know.

Also Crash, think about this way. Movie critics get paid to watch movies, and then do a video/article criticizing them. For most people, watching movies is a hobby, but if they are good enough in presenting their views and doing it in a professional way, why shouldn't they be paid.

The same goes for people that create LPs, if they are good enough and are professional, why shouldn't they be paid also?

I don't particularly care, because my favorite LPers are ones that don't monetize them. I guess the Grumps are kind of fucked if Nintendo starts doing it for all the games, though (so far it's only for the newest Mario games).

Game Grumps aren't affected as they're part of a circle ala Machinima, so they already have permission to monetize it.

Do we even know how much money per view Partners make?

It depends how they're partnered and a lot of factors go into it like how much was paid to place the ad.

EDIT: I had some more info, but you're not supposed to share that sort of thing. If anyone is curious how earnings and such work you can message me.

Edited by SkyLlama

I wonder if people would feel differently if EA did this? huh.png

Is only effecting Let's Players or Reviewers as well? When I watch AVGN now occasionally an Nintendo Ad will play so I wonder if this has already started?

Not to mention almost everyone uses AdBlock?

I don't use AdBlock specifically because people create content and make it available for free, only asking that people tolerate some advertising to support their efforts. In a way, it's almost stealing; especially if the content is hosted by the creator and they need the revenue to pay bandwidth and hosting costs.

Edited by Frogging101

Also Crash, think about this way. Movie critics get paid to watch movies, and then do a video/article criticizing them. For most people, watching movies is a hobby, but if they are good enough in presenting their views and doing it in a professional way, why shouldn't they be paid.

The same goes for people that create LPs, if they are good enough and are professional, why shouldn't they be paid also?

Because the bulk of the entertainment value of an LP and a substantial part of the audiovisual experience comes from the original video game and not from the LPers' commentary.  The last time I looked, movie critics didn't upload videos of the whole movie with them talking over it.  LPs are more analogous to fanfiction.  The secondary author applies their own layer over the original work, but people are coming for the original work, as mediated through the secondary author.  Do you think J.K. Rowling will let me monetise my Harry Potter fanfiction?

However, given the unregulated way the LP format evolved, I think it would be reasonable for Nintendo to permit some of the ad revenue (off any length of video) to go to the LPer as that's the culture that's grown up, and, more importantly, the LPer is providing some of the content.  But making a living off playing video games is just building a house on sand.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because the bulk of the entertainment value of an LP and a substantial part of the audiovisual experience comes from the original video game and not from the LPers' commentary.  The last time I looked, movie critics didn't upload videos of the whole movie with them talking over it.  LPs are more analogous to fanfiction.  The secondary author applies their own layer over the original work, but people are coming for the original work, as mediated through the secondary author.  Do you think J.K. Rowling will let me monetise my Harry Potter fanfiction?

However, given the unregulated way the LP format evolved, I think it would be reasonable for Nintendo to permit some of the ad revenue (off any length of video) to go to the LPer as that's the culture that's grown up, and, more importantly, the LPer is providing some of the content.  But making a living off playing video games is just building a house on sand.

I get what you're saying but at the same time I don't know, when I watch LPs I watched them to see for their reactions and their thoughts of the game and not the game. Granted the audiovisual experience does come from the original video game, but I always thought a good LP is that where they show both the game and the person playing. To me at least the player is the entertainment and the visuals the icing on the cake (for example, think about how many people use Game Grumps to hear them play while they are doing something instead of you know watching them.)

Plus, many movie critics do play clips and scenes from movies while they are talking about them (granted not as much as a LP will have) and magazines have screens from the movie so you can always make the same argument against them too.

I'm not saying that is not reasonable for Nintendo to permit some form of ad revenue, or saying that people should make a living off playing video games, but I do think they should get something if they are good.

Also, I really don't know how the Harry Potter fan fiction analogy plays into this though, since that is another whole can of worms.